Stephen Jones says the Cowboys would take franchise QB over impact player at 4

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article62089982.html

The biggest question surrounding the Dallas Cowboys and the fourth overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft is whether they can pass on an immediate impact player for a potential franchise quarterback of the future?

The team is admittedly doing their due diligence in evaluating first-round quarterbacks for the first time since taking Troy Aikman first overall in 2016 in hopes finding a future franchise quarterback to takeover for Tony Romo.

But the Cowboys also believe that Romo has a few successful years left and hope to win big while he is still going strong.

“He may play three of four more years,” vice-president Stephen Jones said. “If that were the case that is great because that means he is playing lights out for three or four more years. That means we are successful.”

Of course, arguably the best way to help the Cowboys be successful with Romo still at the helm is to use the fourth pick to take an immediate impact player at position of need.

The Cowboys have huge needs at running back, linebacker, defensive end and cornerback and there could be players there to help them win in 2016 like Ohio State defensive Joey Bosa, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott, Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey and UCLA linebacker Myles Jack to name a few.

But there is also a good chance to that either Cal’s Jared Goff or North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz _ the top two quarterbacks in the draft _ would be still on the board as well.

As of now, Jones said a franchise quarterback trumps all.

"I mean you have to look at it," Jones said. "You’re not naive to it but if you have the opportunity in this league, in our situation, to get a potential franchise quarterback, then you have to make the investment. You have to have the patience. You sacrifice maybe that opportunity that maybe is impactful right now."

---

Seems relevant.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God, that is so good to hear. Not that it means they actually do it, but at least the mindset is right.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He forgot to say the Cowboys don't think there are any franchise QBs in this draft... Boom!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we don't take a QB at 4 I think it will be due to the evaluation of the prospects, not because the organization doesn't recognize the importance of the position or the opportunity that we have picking at 4. I'm guessing if Wentz is there we take him, if he's the pick at 2 and Goff is there at 4, I have no clue really. I could easily see our genius braintrust falling in love with Wentz's size and tools, and then being turned off by Goff who is a bit smaller, a bit slower, has a slightly weaker arm, etc., and not valuing what Goff does better than Wentz (namely very important things like subtle movements in the pocket to buy time and being able to scan through various reads).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I really really hate you both right now.
Don't mind them. All they have in their arsenal at the moment I'd dill pickles and sour grapes. They will still be serving them up when Dallas lands a QB with their first pick. :art

stubbie

Not So New Member
I really hope we are not this high in the draft again. So, if a franchise QB is there at 4, they better take him regardless of how long Romo may or may not play. I think the younger Jones realizes that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If we don't take a QB at 4 I think it will be due to the evaluation of the prospects, not because the organization doesn't recognize the importance of the position or the opportunity that we have picking at 4. I'm guessing if Wentz is there we take him, if he's the pick at 2 and Goff is there at 4, I have no clue really. I could easily see our genius braintrust falling in love with Wentz's size and tools, and then being turned off by Goff who is a bit smaller, a bit slower, has a slightly weaker arm, etc., and not valuing what Goff does better than Wentz (namely very important things like subtle movements in the pocket to buy time and being able to scan through various reads).
I could easily see the opposite, Goff is more similar to Romo.

Not great but good arms.
Good pocket awareness.
Read defenses quickly.
Not prototype QB bodies.

Romo is a better scrambler but I think Goff moves well in the pocket.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I heard he's quite the fumbler. 23 fumbles in 2 years, something like that. That is worrisome...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
23 fumbles in 2 years?

That's a lot of fumbling.
Yea I just looked it up, it was Goff who fumbled 23 times but to be fair 19 of those came his first two years with only 4 as a junior. I'd chalk that up to inexperience and being on a very bad team. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cotton

Staff member
Just looked it up, but Wentz only fumbled 9 times in his whole career. Goff is the one that fumbled 23 times, so that must be who he is talking about.

Cotton

Staff member
Yea I just looked it up, it was Goff who fumbled 23 times but to be fair 19 of those came his first two years with only 4 as a junior. I'd chalk that up to inexperience and being on a very bad team. I wouldn't worry about it.
I just got timestamped like a beast.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah a big part of that is the horrific bad offensive line he played behind.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Good to know he worked on that problem, I doubt it would be an issue behind our o-line.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

I agree. I do think we may have one QB we consider a franchise caliber QB, probably Wentz. But if he's gone then not sure if we really like Goff that much to take him there.

The ideal situation would be for Wentz to be there at 4 and we take him. If not, and we don't like Goff I'd hope the 49ers like him enough to want to move up and we trade down to 7. I wouldn't want to move down further than that and I'd prefer drafting 7th with a trade haul that included the 49ers 2nd rounder rather than just stay put at 4 and drafting defense. Of course we may not have a trade offer, or one we like and have to stay put.

But right now I think Wentz may be the only QB we'd take at 4 and I have a feeling the Browns take him.

Top Bottom