The Ultimate Jerry Jones Interview

data

Forbes #1
But it isn't all about Jones it is about a very unique set of circumstances in which Jones was a part of. He is in the picture and to deny that he had any part of that perfect storm is denying reality. Simply hating him for being a failure since doesn't erase the occurrence at the time.
you speak as if Jerry contributed to this perfect storm. Really, then-rookie-owner Jerry just didn't get in the way of the perfect storm from happening. Once the rookie-owner started to learn from jimmy, Jerry started to get in the way. Hence, the 500 Coaches comment and hiring Switzer.

You put today's version of Jerry jones in 1989 and no way do we win 3 Super Bowls, let alone sniff the playoffs.

I will give credit to Jerry for one thing - hiring jimmy. Even that, though, is more lucky stars that they were roommates rather than knowing jimmy was gonna be a godsend.

If hostile had been Jerry's roommate, we'd be renamed the Green Balloons.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm going to keep asking this until someone can answer it to my satisfaction... then why hasn't it happened since? It's that simple. There is a reason why there is a difference between 5 years of Jimmy and the 20 years after that. What is it? I'm asking a serious question. Not being a dick.
The answer seems simple to me. All the elements that brought about the era are gone. The player combination, the coaches, and everything else is gone except Jones himself. He simply hasn't been able to put anything viable back together. No one denies that he has failed since but the fact remains that for a period he was part of a winning system that he was in part responsible for. Also no one can deny he has not been able to make it happen again. Lightning hasn't struck since and Jerry can't make it happen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The answer seems simple to me. All the elements that brought about the era are gone. The player combination, the coaches, and everything else is gone except Jones himself. He simply hasn't been able to put anything viable back together. No one denies that he has failed since but the fact remains that for a period he was part of a winning system that he was in part responsible for. Also no one can deny he has not been able to make it happen again. Lightning hasn't struck since and Jerry can't make it happen.
That's because Jerry has no clue what he is doing, and deserves zero credit for those super bowl wins. I don't give a god damn that he hired Jimmy. Sun shines on a monkey's ass every once in a while. 20 years since shows he hasn't the capability to put together a winning organization and didn't even then. He just got extremely lucky.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
you speak as if Jerry contributed to this perfect storm. Really, then-rookie-owner Jerry just didn't get in the way of the perfect storm from happening. Once the rookie-owner started to learn from jimmy, Jerry started to get in the way. Hence, the 500 Coaches comment and hiring Switzer.

You put today's version of Jerry jones in 1989 and no way do we win 3 Super Bowls, let alone sniff the playoffs.

I will give credit to Jerry for one thing - hiring jimmy. Even that, though, is more lucky stars that they were roommates rather than knowing jimmy was gonna be a godsend.

If hostile had been Jerry's roommate, we'd be renamed the Green Balloons.
Every element contributed to the perfect storm. If Jones had not bought the team and brought in Johnson you would have still been seeing Landry coaching a personnel deprived team with Bum Bright keeping the organization cash starved. Or possibly some other owner coach combination who acquired the team. You have to give Jones credit for orchestrating the acquisition and putting someone in place that has the ability to find people who could put together a winning combination. In addition Jones was open minded enough to buy into Johnson's proposal help to make the Walker deal happen. Those are significant factors in what ultimately brought about the winning era Dallas enjoyed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
1. Hypocrite

2. It's been brought up here several times that they wanted Jimmy on the defensive staff the year before. Its not that farfetched to see that he was headed to the NFL. Especially with his ties to Jerry.
So let me get this straight just because the previous management who were all let go wanted Jimmy as defensive coordinator, it's logical that Jerry would come in and hire him as head coach and give him full control of personell.

Yeah I can totally see how those dots are connected.

I have no idea why it is so painful to give Jerry any credit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So let me get this straight just because the previous management who were all let go wanted Jimmy as defensive coordinator, it's logical that Jerry would come in and hire him as head coach and give him full control of personell.

Yeah I can totally see how those dots are connected.

I have no idea why it is so painful to give Jerry any credit.
It's logical in that Jerry had a major connection with Jimmy to begin with. He was a successful head coach in college. He was already being talked about moving up to the NFL and I'm sure it was probably by more than one team. I mean we never see college coaches brought up to be head coaches in the NFL, right? They also never want to be in charge of personnel?? You said it was retarded but that's just not true at all.

As far as giving him credit I will give him credit for staying back and letting Jimmy build the team from players to coaches. As far as anything else I think his track record from them to now shows exactly who built the dynasty. That's my opinion and nothing said previous has been enough to change it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm going to keep asking this until someone can answer it to my satisfaction... then why hasn't it happened since? It's that simple. There is a reason why there is a difference between 5 years of Jimmy and the 20 years after that. What is it? I'm asking a serious question. Not being a dick.
Nobody is comparing Jerry to Jimmy so I don't know what the question is.

The only thing in discussion here is why can't Jerry get any credit at all?

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's logical in that Jerry had a major connection with Jimmy to begin with. He was a successful head coach in college. He was already being talked about moving up to the NFL and I'm sure it was probably by more than one team. I mean we never see college coaches brought up to be head coaches in the NFL, right? They also never want to be in charge of personnel?? You said it was retarded but that's just not true at all.

As far as giving him credit I will give him credit for staying back and letting Jimmy build the team from players to coaches. As far as anything else I think his track record from them to now shows exactly who built the dynasty. That's my opinion and nothing said previous has been enough to change it.
Yes he had a connection to Jimmy but to act like it was a simple or logical decision for that time to hire him and give him control is not being fair.

I am not trying to change anybodies overall opinion of Jerry but the same "wildcatting" attitude that has us stuck with Garrett is what got us Jimmy, he took a huge leap of faith.

Cotton

Staff member
Nobody is comparing Jerry to Jimmy so I don't know what the question is.

The only thing in discussion here is why can't Jerry get any credit at all?
Because by giving him credit for hiring Jimmy infers that he had some knowledge or talent for acquiring a good HC. He has proven in the last two decades that he does not have this talent. So, it makes it glaringly clear that he got lucky with Jimmy and nothing else.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because by giving him credit for hiring Jimmy infers that he had some knowledge or talent for acquiring a good HC. He has proven in the last two decades that he does not have this talent. So, it makes it glaringly clear that he got lucky with Jimmy and nothing else.
It does not infer anything other than he made the higher and in doing so should be given credit for that.

It's your opinion that he got lucky with jimmy maybe he actually had foresight and then got full of himself.

Jerry is not a retard he has a level of intelligence but he also has an ego to match and IMO that is where he gets into trouble.

Cotton

Staff member
It does not infer anything other than he made the higher and in doing so should be given credit for that.

It's your opinion that he got lucky with jimmy maybe he actually had foresight and then got full of himself.

Jerry is not a retard he has a level of intelligence but he also has an ego to match and IMO that is where he gets into trouble.
He absolutely is a football retard, and he got lucky or we would have seen this brilliant foresight flash again, and he hasn't even come close.

stubbie

Not So New Member
You make your own fortunes. For example, Jimmy could have taken the browns offer for walker and had a good trade. Instead he called up Minnesota and hit a home run.
That's common business practice...not the work of a genius.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Free agency and salary cap.

Cotton

Staff member
Free agency and salary cap.
Oh, so we are the only team that has to adhere to the cap and suffer free agency? That doesn't seem fair.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Oh, so we are the only team that has to adhere to the cap and suffer free agency? That doesn't seem fair.
Didn't say that. But those two things changed this league and Jerry was very good at business the old way. Huge learning curve with the new. Seems the front office is doing better over the last few years though. You wanted an answer, I gave it to you. I am sorry if you don't like it, but I doubt any answer is good enough for you when it comes to Jerry or Garrett. Am I wrong?

Cotton

Staff member
Didn't say that. But those two things changed this league and Jerry was very good at business the old way. Huge learning curve with the new. Seems the front office is doing better over the last few years though. You wanted an answer, I gave it to you. I am sorry if you don't like it, but I doubt any answer is good enough for you when it comes to Jerry or Garrett. Am I wrong?
No, there are answers that would make me happy, but you haven't gotten anywhere close to any of them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones knew something of Johnson. No point in dismissing that. Johnson already had a good resume in college as well.

Top Bottom