Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Why bother with an older running back? Dallas already has an older back in McFadden and if he is injured do you want another twilight runner as your reliability for the running game? The RB position with Dallas needs to get younger not older.
Exactly.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Why bother with an older running back? Dallas already has an older back in McFadden and if he is injured do you want another twilight runner as your reliability for the running game? The RB position with Dallas needs to get younger not older.
Problem is, while you are breaking in a rookie, you want a vet available that can pick up blitzes. If McFadden is hurt, Romo could follow rapidly if our 3rd-5th round rookie isn't ready for that responsibility.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Problem is, while you are breaking in a rookie, you want a vet available that can pick up blitzes. If McFadden is hurt, Romo could follow rapidly if our 3rd-5th round rookie isn't ready for that responsibility.
Some rookies are better at blocking than others. It's something that can be taught pretty quickly. There is always a FB who is good for blocking schemes.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Never been a big fan of Forte...he has put up great numbers and I think he might lead the league in total yard over the last few years. I have always kind of seen him as soft.
He might have a ton of wear on him, but he is the most complete back in FA this year.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Some rookies are better at blocking than others. It's something that can be taught pretty quickly. There is always a FB who is good for blocking schemes.
It was a rookie FB that whiffed on a block to get Romo knocked out in 2010. Either way, you're not going to have a FB in the game on 3rd and long.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We do love to go single back shotgun set and then motion the RB out. Which is probably Dunbar. So in your scenario there isn't a rookie back there anyway.
Dunbar being guaranteed a roster spot just so we can go empty backfield and get Romo killed is why we can't have nice things.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunbar being guaranteed a roster spot just so we can go empty backfield and get Romo killed is why we can't have nice things.
I feel like our use of Dunbar is just more of us trying to copy cat the Patriots which we always seem to do. Just like the 2 TE offense. Just like Romo studying Brady in the pocket and trying to be more like him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, free agent RBs are just scary because of the short shelf life of RBs. There are plenty of options though if we want another veteran.
We said this same thing last year and ended up with inconsistent dogshit from start to finish. I wanted to draft an elite player and also sign a vet. Some people actually laughed.

I understand the caution with Forte, but I leave to stone unturned improving at RB this season. I act as is McFadden did nothing last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We said this same thing last year and ended up with inconsistent dogshit from start to finish.
We actually had a very good running game and a RB who ranked near the top of the NFL. So yeah, um no. The people who laughed were probably right.

junk

Not So New Member
We said this same thing last year and ended up with inconsistent dogshit from start to finish. I wanted to draft an elite player and also sign a vet. Some people actually laughed.

I understand the caution with Forte, but I leave to stone unturned improving at RB this season. I act as is McFadden did nothing last year.
Actually, when you go 4-12, the best thing to do is probably just count on your aging, injury prone QB to come back, leave the coaching staff largely in place and immediately start talking Super Bowl once the season ends.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Actually, when you go 4-12, the best thing to do is probably just count on your aging, injury prone QB to come back, leave the coaching staff largely in place and immediately start talking Super Bowl once the season ends.
:lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying Forte should be offseason priority number one, but IMO he's a clear upgrade over McFadden on paper. It's not as if we have a stable of runners which would force out a promising youngster. We could draft someone in the 2nd-4th and still just have three nice guys in Forte, McFadden and the rookie.

I'm also 100% fine with Miller or Martin, I just want a quality back in free agency so we aren't forced to draft one and we aren't forced to trade multiple picks looking for the Robert Turbins and Christine Michaels of the world.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not saying Forte should be offseason priority number one, but IMO he's a clear upgrade over McFadden on paper. It's not as if we have a stable of runners which would force out a promising youngster. We could draft someone in the 2nd-4th and still just have three nice guys in Forte, McFadden and the rookie.

I'm also 100% fine with Miller or Martin, I just want a quality back in free agency so we aren't forced to draft one and we aren't forced to trade multiple picks looking for the Robert Turbins and Christine Michaels of the world.
Thing is, we have McFadden on the cheap.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Thing is, we have McFadden on the cheap.
Forte can probably be had for like 2 years, 8 million, he'd be plenty cheap too.

Going into next season with FA+McFadden+4th-7th rounder would be just fine, then we let McFadden walk after next season, draft a stud next year and go into 2017 with rookie+2016 FA+somebody else, maybe the 2nd year late rounder from this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom