User Tag List

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scruggs: Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Lab View Post
    Lombardi only mentioned Payton because he's a known Friend of Jerry.

And he's one who has actually won something. Shockingly, it didn't take a decade of "building" to do it.
    Obviously, you have a problem seeing what is being built here.

how many "coach of the year" winners have had their coaching challenged only months after receiving the honor? can't be that many.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith6919 View Post
    Hmmm, no mention of why Jerry wanted garrett to give up playcalling
    because he sucked at it?

4. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    What a dumb criticism. Since when was a HC supposed to be a glorified coordinator?

I'd much rather my HC be a CEO and subcontract everything out.
    I agree, I don't want my head coach bogged down with play calling duties on game day. If he is doing that he won't have time to run the team as a cohesive unit. Part of being a good coach is making sure you have the right guys working under you who can do their jobs.

My assessment on Garrett has always been that he is sort of middle of the road head coach though. He makes stupid little mistakes on game day that everyone has gone over a million times. I'm right there cursing with everyone when he does. I just don't think right now is the right time to make any sort of a change. This is a young team that gelled last year. I don't want to do anything drastic at this point other then to continue on the path we are already headed with young talent and rebuilding this defense.

6. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I agree, I don't want my head coach bogged down with play calling duties on game day. If he is doing that he won't have time to run the team as a cohesive unit. Part of being a good coach is making sure you have the right guys working under you who can do their jobs.

Exactly.

Bellichick is one of the greatest defensive minds in the game, yet he's not the DC. Could have said the same about Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry. Parcells never did both.

And hell, Jimmy didn't really start to win until he got his coordinators right.

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    Im excited to see is Jason Garrett going to be the .500 coach I think he is or if has he done something this summer to really improve himself," he said. "I say the latter. I say hes going to be a .500 coach.
    Time to learn what "the latter," means.

Not that damned important midswat's Avatar
    I'd also prefer a walk around head coach. But if you are a walk around head coach, you better have that situational football thing down pat. Garrett doesn't. He is still prone to stupid ass mistakes and decisions.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    Exactly.

Bellichick is one of the greatest defensive minds in the game, yet he's not the DC. Could have said the same about Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry. Parcells never did both.

And hell, Jimmy didn't really start to win until he got his coordinators right.
    It's clear Belichick runs his coordinators on both and probably all three sides of the ball. I can recall the aggressive offensive gameplan he fired up when facing an overwhelming Indy offense in 2009. That's typical Belichick (he lost, but it was all *his* gamble). As his coordinators have been hired away/hired back over the years his approach has been consistent.

Jimmy was a powerful personality who obsessively managed his team and also their various personalities. When that glue left, the ego-rich 90's team basically blew up.

Nate Newton would talk about how he wanted to promote a video while the team was in a playoff race and how Jimmy circled him the practice yard until Nate knew he had to give up the effort without a fight. He knew Jimmy counted on him to set an example. The players sensed how much Jimmy cared and that he wasn't going to let them be steered off course.

That's a huge relief when you know that kind of leadership is in place allowing everyone to focus on their jobs.

Jason's more of a good citizen than a leader. A smart guy and charismatic enough to at least play his part, but I don't see how he inspires or influences his players. This whole thing about him calling them by their numbers and slapping them in the helmet, that's superficial in the end.

Don't see the connection that Jimmy had.

Even Payton has a stronger personality than Garrett. The fight and intensity he showed during their Superbowl season was clear from a 1000 miles away and through camera lenses. Up close, the players had to have been affected.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Many of those "walk around" head coaches willingly delegated those responsibilities to someone else in order to free themselves up.

Garrett didn't. Jerry took it away from him kicking and screaming.

So now he has one job to do: Managing the game. And he still sucks at that.
    2014=2009, 2015=2010?

The Garrett Song

14. The following 4 users like this post:

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midswat View Post
    I'd also prefer a walk around head coach. But if you are a walk around head coach, you better have that situational football thing down pat. Garrett doesn't. He is still prone to stupid ass mistakes and decisions.
    Pretty much.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion