RIP Spike Dykes

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Dead at 79 years of age. Talk about a west Texas legend and one heck of a guy. Funny Spike story:

Coach Dykes was the guest speaker at my high school's athletic banquet in 1991 (Sundown, TX). He told a story about his family's first encounter with an elevator that still cracks me up to this day.

As most of you already know, Coach Dykes grew up on a farm near Morton, TX. Being self-sufficient folks, as most were in those days, trips to town by the Dykes family were few and far between. I'll paraphrase the rest of the story from Dykes point of view..

"We hadn't been to town (Lubbock) for several years, but one year when I was about ten or eleven years old my daddy decided it was time to make a trip. After chores one Saturday, we all got dressed up in our church clothes and drove into Lubbock. Our first stop was the old Sears Department store, which at the time was downtown.

We walked in the store and stood in the lobby for a minute, just staring at all the new things for sale. As we were looking around the place, I noticed a set of doors at the far end of the lobby that opened funny. The doors slid into the wall...instead of outward, like a normal door. This funny set of doors also had some numbers above it, which lit up...I had never seen anything like it in my life.

Well, after we stood in the lobby for a bit, daddy told momma to go after what she needed and that he and I would be over in the hardware section. After momma left, I pointed to the funny set of doors and asked daddy what they were. Just as daddy turned to look at what I was pointing to, a big, ugly woman walked up to the doors and pushed a button on the wall. Daddy and I watched as the doors opened...then the big ugly woman stepped inside and the numbers above the door started counting up. After a minute or so, the numbers lit up again and started counting down. When the numbers hit "1" out walked a young, beautiful lady. I looked at daddy and I said, "Daddy, what is that thing?".

Daddy said, "I don't know, boy, but go get your momma, quick!"

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Great guy that had some of the best quotes. RIP.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Spike sayings:

"We got our ole oxcart in a ditch this week"

"I knew him back when Moby Dick was a minnow"

"I'll tell you what, we have any more guys quit in 2-a-days we'll only need
a station wagon for road games"

"North Texas lifts weights too."

"They beat us like a tied up goat!"

"Every number had a butt". Speaking of a sold out Jones Stadium.

When Rob Peters was the QB he had a GPA of 3.99 and Spike said Rob only had one "B". Spike said "I also only had one "B". The problem was the rest of my grades were "C's" and "D's".

When Spike left coaching Tech he said it was due to health problems. "The alumni got sick of me!"

"If I knew then, what I know now, I would sell Indian Head Dresses in Ballinger. Everyone thinks they are a chief."

Probably not exact but something along the lines of...A coach loses 10% of his supporters every year, and I've been here for 13 years. :lol

After a bad first half with Susie Sidelines pushing a microphone into his face, "we played like buzzard puke."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Spike sayings:

"We got our ole oxcart in a ditch this week"

"I knew him back when Moby Dick was a minnow"

"I'll tell you what, we have any more guys quit in 2-a-days we'll only need
a station wagon for road games"

"North Texas lifts weights too."

"They beat us like a tied up goat!"

"Every number had a butt". Speaking of a sold out Jones Stadium.

When Rob Peters was the QB he had a GPA of 3.99 and Spike said Rob only had one "B". Spike said "I also only had one "B". The problem was the rest of my grades were "C's" and "D's".

When Spike left coaching Tech he said it was due to health problems. "The alumni got sick of me!"

"If I knew then, what I know now, I would sell Indian Head Dresses in Ballinger. Everyone thinks they are a chief."

Probably not exact but something along the lines of...A coach loses 10% of his supporters every year, and I've been here for 13 years. :lol

After a bad first half with Susie Sidelines pushing a microphone into his face, "we played like buzzard puke."
:lol

Loved that man.

vince

Not So New Member
Great TTU coach. Will be missed.

Hopefully coach bro will get motivated by this.

Top Bottom