Archer: Jason Garrett's Dallas Cowboys program is on the line in 2016

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And we're stuck with 3-4 guys for db coaches. We haven't bothered interviewing guys like Leslie Frazier who have experience in the scheme. We're not using the zone to produce turnovers, we're just reverting to the old "ten yards of cushion" soft man coverage that this team always seems to run no matter what.
I couldn't agree more. I have no idea why we aren't assembling coaches around Marinelli who know his system and can teach it. That blows my mind. Or at least coach who come from a similar system.

Makes me wonder who makes that decision. I'm guessing Garrett.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I couldn't agree more. I have no idea why we aren't assembling coaches around Marinelli who know his system and can teach it. That blows my mind. Or at least coach who come from a similar system.

Makes me wonder who makes that decision. I'm guessing Garrett.
I think Garrett is paranoid about the rest of the staff and who might do to him what he did to Wade. He meddled with Callahan and wouldn't let him do his job as the OC back in 2013. I think he's meddling with Marinelli as well.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That's probably what Denver fans were saying a couple of years ago. It's not always possible to address every need in an offseason.
Denver went 13-3, 13-3, 12-4, and 12-4 but still added key pieces year by year. Not sure Denver fans had much to complain about.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Like him or not he coached a Bears defense that led the NFL in INTs, takeaways and finished third in the NFL in terms of points. So the scheme absolutely can work. It can be frustrating at times. Trust me, I really wish we blitzed more. But it can definitely work. We just need the players to work it. Obviously that starts with pass rushers and DBs who can catch the god damn ball.
Marinelli doesn't have near the players in Dallas as he did when he put up those numbers in Chicago.

That's the problem...PT Barnum thinks you can get by with marginal talent, but then have guys "coach'em up" and all of a sudden he's unearthed the hidden gem he always likes to pat himself on the back for finding. Except its shitty players like Church, Heath, etc that couldn't make a play to save their fucking lives.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I love Fox. He's very underrated. I would take him here in a heartbeat.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I love Fox. He's very underrated. I would take him here in a heartbeat.
Fox can seem to improve a team to the point of making the playoffs but can't get them to close the deal for the championship.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Fox can seem to improve a team to the point of making the playoffs but can't get them to close the deal for the championship.
He's taken 2 different teams to super bowls. Not many coaches can say that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bringing the Panthers that far at all in 2003-2004 was impressive.

His failure to prepare Denver for that game was major, though.

He also didn't have DeMarcus Ware who made a huge difference-- especially down the stretch, but the Broncos were slow off the blocks and simply not ready for Seattle.

townsend

Banned
Bringing the Panthers that far at all in 2003-2004 was impressive.

His failure to prepare Denver for that game was major, though.

He also didn't have DeMarcus Ware who made a huge difference-- especially down the stretch, but the Broncos were slow off the blocks and simply not ready for Seattle.
Having the biggest choke artist in playoff history as his QB makes a huge difference. Tim Tebow never went one and done in the playoffs, but Manning did it twice in 3 years.
Kubiak drastically reducing Peyton's role in the offense made all of the difference.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Having the biggest choke artist in playoff history as his QB makes a huge difference. Tim Tebow never went one and done in the playoffs, but Manning did it twice in 3 years.
Kubiak drastically reducing Peyton's role in the offense made all of the difference.
Yeah, the Broncos just won in spite of Manning, not because of him

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the Broncos just won in spite of Manning, not because of him
He made too many right calls down the stretch and in the playoffs for me to totally agree. He should retire, IMO, but no one is better at reading defenses.

He also made fewer mistakes than Cam when confronted with a tough defense.

townsend

Banned
He made too many right calls down the stretch and in the playoffs for me to totally agree. He should retire, IMO, but no one is better at reading defenses.

He also made fewer mistakes than Cam when confronted with a tough defense.
I don't think there's a defense that's as tough as that Broncos monstrosity. It was the 2002 Bucs and Manning was Brad Johnson.
Peyton did pretty well, but that's because for the first time in his career he was relegated to bus driver. If you look at the shear number of playoff games he choked in, including a couple in 2006, he's consistently been a liability in the postseason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't think there's a defense that's as tough as that Broncos monstrosity. It was the 2002 Bucs and Manning was Brad Johnson.
Peyton did pretty well, but that's because for the first time in his career he was relegated to bus driver. If you look at the shear number of playoff games he choked in, including a couple in 2006, he's consistently been a liability in the postseason.
With a sample size that large the numbers don't lie. A lot of it has been calling his own plays so much of his career. "Now we're in the playoffs! Edgerrin Who?"

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If you look at the shear number of playoff games he choked in, including a couple in 2006, he's consistently been a liability in the postseason.
The liability is the coaching staff that refuses to balance the passing game with Manning, not Manning himself. It happened in college and in the pros several times.

In 2006 the Colts finally ran the ball and realized they were physical enough to get yards without lining up in shotgun and heaving it.

townsend

Banned
The liability is the coaching staff that refuses to balance the passing game with Manning, not Manning himself. It happened in college and in the pros several times.

In 2006 the Colts finally ran the ball and realized they were physical enough to get yards without lining up in shotgun and heaving it.
I think Fox was stuck with a lot less power than Kubiak. It seems to me Peyton was calling the shots during his entire tenure in Indianapolis and most of his time in Denver leading up to his final choked away playoff game in 2014. I think once Kubiak showed up to town Peyton stopped being his own play caller for the first time since the 90s.

If you look at 2006 Peyton put in a horrid performance in the playoffs, throwing 3 tds and 8 interceptions. It wasn't just running the ball, that was the only year that the defense was good enough to pick up Manning's slack. In the first two playoff games of that year (where Manning threw 5 of his 8 ints and only 1 TD) Indy held the opposing teams to 8 and 6 points. Anything but a perfect defensive effort would have 2006 into Manning's long record of one and dones.

Top Bottom