The Ultimate Jerry Jones Interview

Jiggyfly

Banned
He was widely ridiculed for the Walker trade and how did that work out, also it's not like he didn't get anything back for Walsh
I don't know what point you are trying to make.

He was not widely ridiculed for the Walker trade most everyone saw how badly Minny overpaid and yes Jimmy made out like a bandit because he realized the value of draft picks before other teams got on board.

And that still brings us back to the fact that Jerry signed off on all of this, yet he gets zero credit.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
So now the only way to build a team is through a mega-trade?

So Jimmy is not all that when he has to build a team like everybody else, which is kind of the point.
No the point is you said he had full control and he absolutely did not. Instead he was saddled with a pass happy qb who many said had more power there than him

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

He was not widely ridiculed for the Walker trade most everyone saw how badly Minny overpaid and yes Jimmy made out like a bandit because he realized the value of draft picks before other teams got on board.

And that still brings us back to the fact that Jerry signed off on all of this, yet he gets zero credit.
Johnson bragged to the media that he had just committed "The Great Train Robbery," but the reaction in Dallas was shock -- and aw shoot. "The Vikings got Herschel Walker," Randy Galloway wrote in The Dallas Morning News. "The Cowboys got nothing more than a huge handful of Minnesota smoke. And who knows if there'll ever be another fire."

Frank Luksa of the Dallas Times Herald agreed, likening the Cowboys' take to "a bag of beans and a cow to be named later."

The lone voice of support from the media came from Galloway's esteemed colleague, Blackie Sherrod, who wrote: "There will be those saying the Jaybirds got taken like a couple of rubes at the carnival. But here again, there is suspicion there is more to the trade than the announced face value … that may be where the 'conditional draft choices' enter the picture."

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

On the 30 for 30 episode on the trade Jimmy did mention that he was questioned about wanting to trade Herschel. I believe he said a lot of people thought it was crazy to trade the only star player that they had.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Johnson bragged to the media that he had just committed "The Great Train Robbery," but the reaction in Dallas was shock -- and aw shoot. "The Vikings got Herschel Walker," Randy Galloway wrote in The Dallas Morning News. "The Cowboys got nothing more than a huge handful of Minnesota smoke. And who knows if there'll ever be another fire."

Frank Luksa of the Dallas Times Herald agreed, likening the Cowboys' take to "a bag of beans and a cow to be named later."

The lone voice of support from the media came from Galloway's esteemed colleague, Blackie Sherrod, who wrote: "There will be those saying the Jaybirds got taken like a couple of rubes at the carnival. But here again, there is suspicion there is more to the trade than the announced face value … that may be where the 'conditional draft choices' enter the picture."
Not talking about the media but other people within the NFL, the media knew nothing about the conditional nature of the draft choices.

Jiggyfly

Banned
On the 30 for 30 episode on the trade Jimmy did mention that he was questioned about wanting to trade Herschel. I believe he said a lot of people thought it was crazy to trade the only star player that they had.
It was also said that a lot of people realized how bad the trade was for Minny.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Wow...this is a touchy subject. The only thing that has been proven is that personal feelings towards the subjects involved run deep. I could argue either side of this. I could say , who hired Jimmy? Drop the mic and walk off stage. But I won't. But I will say this. Like it or not, the one constant when for the team and the winning that occurred after 1989 was Jimmy and Jerry together. Thank you and good night.

Rev

Staff member
Like its so hard to hire your college teammate and roommate. Not to mention that he was rumored to be headed to Dallas before this happened.

~picks the Mic up and hands it back~

stubbie

Not So New Member
Like its so hard to hire your college teammate and roommate. Not to mention that he was rumored to be headed to Dallas before this happened.

But I said I wouldn't do that...

Thanks for continuing to prove my point.

Can't wait to hear your excuses after Garrett wins us a Super Bowl

~drops mic and runs...:lol

let the hate continue at a new level :tippytoe

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Exactly. Jerry has said he never considered anyone else. It wasn't some measured search to find the best candidate. He hired his boy. It just so happened his boy was a great coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly. Jerry has said he never considered anyone else. It wasn't some measured search to find the best candidate. He hired his boy. It just so happened his boy was a great coach.
Yes a good coach who also had a lot of good fortune to make his tenure with Dallas successful.

Jiggyfly

Banned

This a very retarded argument.

To hand over the keys to the Dallas Cowboys to a college coach after firing Tom Landry. Yeah anybody would have done that.

And then not panic after going 1-15 and being a laughing stock.

Rev

Staff member
This a very retarded argument.

To hand over the keys to the Dallas Cowboys to a college coach after firing Tom Landry. Yeah anybody would have done that.

And then not panic after going 1-15 and being a laughing stock.
1. Hypocrite

2. It's been brought up here several times that they wanted Jimmy on the defensive staff the year before. Its not that farfetched to see that he was headed to the NFL. Especially with his ties to Jerry.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Jerry would probably be the greatest owner ever if for two small details...
a) He never should have taken the de facto GM job
b) He should have fired Jerry the GM over 20 years ago

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yes a good coach who also had a lot of good fortune to make his tenure with Dallas successful.

You make your own fortunes. For example, Jimmy could have taken the browns offer for walker and had a good trade. Instead he called up Minnesota and hit a home run.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jesus Christ, this argument is 20 years old. And, it would be viewed as a valid argument 20 years ago. Or even 18 years ago. Because you could argue the "give Jerry time" side of things. We are 18 years from when that argument could be made, though. Jerry has had 2 decades to get it right. If he had SO much weight in how things went down in the early 90's... why in the FUCK hasn't he done it since? Or even come remotely lose to it, for that god damn matter. Someone answer me that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You make your own fortunes. For example, Jimmy could have taken the browns offer for walker and had a good trade. Instead he called up Minnesota and hit a home run.
But it was good fortune that Minnesota made such an outlandish deal. It's a once in a blue moon happenstance.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jesus Christ, this argument is 20 years old. And, it would be viewed as a valid argument 20 years ago. Or even 18 years ago. Because you could argue the "give Jerry time" side of things. We are 18 years from when that argument could be made, though. Jerry has had 2 decades to get it right. If he had SO much weight in how things went down in the early 90's... why in the FUCK hasn't he done it since? Or even come remotely lose to it, for that god damn matter. Someone answer me that.
But it isn't all about Jones it is about a very unique set of circumstances in which Jones was a part of. He is in the picture and to deny that he had any part of that perfect storm is denying reality. Simply hating him for being a failure since doesn't erase the occurrence at the time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But it isn't all about Jones it is about a very unique set of circumstances in which Jones was a part of. He is in the picture and to deny that he had any part of that perfect storm is denying reality. Simply hating him for being a failure since doesn't erase the occurrence at the time.
I'm going to keep asking this until someone can answer it to my satisfaction... then why hasn't it happened since? It's that simple. There is a reason why there is a difference between 5 years of Jimmy and the 20 years after that. What is it? I'm asking a serious question. Not being a dick.

Top Bottom