Post FA, Pre Draft 2017 expectations

Post FA, Pre Draft 2017 expectations

• Total voters

midswat

... soon
Curious what everyone's pre-draft expectations of the team is heading into 2017. Vote. Or don't. Whatever, really.

Personally, I think we keep with the relative recent tradition of having a down year after an unexpected good year. I think the losses in Free Agency hurt. While we didn't lose quality players, we still lost starters who by the logic of their starting were better than the back ups, so there will likely be a talent drop off. I don't think Prescott will be able to match his season, based solely on how good it was. I think we play a more difficult schedule. I still think Garrett is pure garbage. And we stayed really healthy last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if we lost a few key players. Like, how probable is it Lee stays healthy two seasons in a row?

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We do the typical swoon after success.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Removing variables like injuries, suspensions, luck, and whatever else I think we're still the best team in the division although I'd be lying if I said the history of 2008, 2010 and 2015 didn't weigh on my mind.

It's not like any of the rest of the teams have given their rosters some amazing facelift. The Giants added Marshall and the Eagles added Jeffrey/Smith but both their OL's and running games still suck and the Eagles defense is still basically Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Malcolm Jenkins and a bunch of JAG's.

The Redskins are a mess, they've made a few value signings in Swearinger and Pryor but of course they lost Jackson/Garcon and Baker who was their best DL.

The only thing that gives me pause is the Giants defense, Spagnuolo is a weird guy because it seems his defenses are either elite or complete shit, but unfortunately it looks like he has what he needs for an elite defense. I'll just hope that last year was a career year for guys like Janoris Jenkins, Harrison, Collins and so forth. JPP can be very inconsistent also and it wouldn't surprise me if he just kind of started mailing it in after getting a big extension.

Plus, Eli is another year older and sure as shit doesn't seem to be getting any better so he will hold them back to some extent.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That was a Romo led team thing.
But don't forget the Garrett factor. He is still at the helm and it will be interest to see if he will place his trust in the team or stay in shallow water.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a Garrett team thing.
Nah Garrett is nothing if not consistent. I don't think he has much of an impact one direction or the other. With Zeke and Linehan pounding the ball, you'll see similar play. Maybe less wins but thats because 13 is really hard to get in the NFL.

People also forget we had massive injury problems last year. Our stud LT missed games. Our stud WR missed games. Our franchise QB went down. Those 3 players were like half our salary cap.

And on defense guys lile Church, Claiborne and Scandrick all missed time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
11-12 wins.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Nah Garrett is nothing if not consistent.
True, consistently a big bag of nothing.

People also forget we had massive injury problems last year. Our stud LT missed games. Our stud WR missed games. Our franchise QB went down. Those 3 players were like half our salary cap.
Other than Romo -- and the Dak Miracle made up for that -- no we didn't. Not at all. We had great health. Every team has minor problems we had last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, consistently a big bag of nothing.

Other than Romo -- and the Dak Miracle made up for that -- no we didn't. Not at all. We had great health. Every team has minor problems we had last year.
:lol

So every team loses their top corner, WR, OT, Safety, LG, QB, half the Dline with back injuries. GTFO. It was one of our worst in recent history. The one bright non injury was Sean Lee.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You act like we lost those guys for the whole year. Every year teams lose multiple very good players for more than just a few games like we did.

Fact is we had literally everyone healthy for our playoff game, which is almost unheard of.

Maybe people are spoiled because except for 2015 with Tony, we've had good injury luck for a while now. Wait for Tyron's back to go out for the entire year, or Frederick or Martin or Dez to blow ACLs. That's what other teams deal with.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You act like we lost those guys for the whole year. Every year teams lose multiple very good players for more than just a few games like we did.

Fact is we had literally everyone healthy for our playoff game, which is almost unheard of.

Maybe people are spoiled because except for 2015 with Tony, we've had good injury luck for a while now. Wait for Tyron's back to go out for the entire year, or Frederick or Martin or Dez to blow ACLs. That's what other teams deal with.
Now we know who to blame. Thanks a lot.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Please don't tell me Claiborne was our "top corner." Shortcomings notwithstanding, that would be Carr.

data

Forbes #1
Of the three NFC teams remaining that haven't made the NFCC since 1996, who will be the first team and the last to make it back - Cowboys, Redskins or Lions?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I think it's an overexaggeration to imply that every team in the league deals with season-ending injuries to All-Pro guys who are in the top 5-7 players on their teams. Yes, it happens, and we were fortunate that it didn't last year but it's not like every team is walking around with a First Team All-Pro on I.R.

We didn't have any debilitating injuries but we certainly had several high profile players miss several games. Dez, Scandrick (our expected top CB going into the season), and Church all missed about a month, Lawrence (supposed top pass-rusher) was suspended the first 4 games and was banged up at different times, and of course Tyron missed a handful of games as well. Then there's also Claiborne missing half the year.

Those are all either high-profile/Pro Bowl caliber players or players that we clearly rely heavily on, with Scandrick and Lawrence generally expected to be the top players at their positions for us going into last season.

Sure, we had some luck, but let's not act like the team was a picture of pristine health.

Top Bottom