Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If linebacker is what we want, I might take Jaylon Smith over Jack despite the knee injury.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If linebacker is what we want, I might take Jaylon Smith over Jack despite the knee injury.
It's all about how that knee looks and how it is progressing. I hate to have to redshirt him for his entire rookie season but shit happens. When you draft a guy in the first you want him for his entire career. Not just for what he does as a rookie.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There is no way in hell I am drafting a LB at 4 without him not being able to run before drafting him.

Jack could be a very special player I would have no issue getting a better Derrick Brooks out of this weak draft.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There is no way in hell I am drafting a LB at 4 without him not being able to run before drafting him.

Jack could be a very special player I would have no issue getting a better Derrick Brooks out of this weak draft.
If we pick Jack he'd better play the middle. We can leave Lee on the weak side.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am about ready to get rid of Lee, he is just not dependable.

Anyway we play 2 LB the majority of the time anyway so it probably will not matter what his position is.

But I could see him in the middle.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jack is better suited to play Will. If I'm using the #4 pick in the draft I'm putting him where he is best. That said, I wouldn't take Jack at #4 for that very reason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I am about ready to get rid of Lee, he is just not dependable.

Anyway we play 2 LB the majority of the time anyway so it probably will not matter what his position is.

But I could see him in the middle.
Doesn't look like we get much savings from cutting Lee if we cut him before June 1st we actually lose 900k against the cap. He's making a pretty affordable 3 million in 2016 and a starting LB is hard to replace at that price, even if he only starts 12-14 games.

Next year his salary spikes to 7 million and he's probably a gonner at that point. Hopefully Wilson or a pick in this draft is ready to step up and play by then.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't look like we get much savings from cutting Lee if we cut him before June 1st we actually lose 900k against the cap. He's making a pretty affordable 3 million in 2016 and a starting LB is hard to replace at that price, even if he only starts 12-14 games.

Next year his salary spikes to 7 million and he's probably a gonner at that point. Hopefully Wilson or a pick in this draft is ready to step up and play by then.
I'd have no problem moving Lee back to the middle. I think he has a greater impact in coverage playing in the middle. The only real concern is that he takes more of a beating there and is more likely to get hurt. But it's also just as likely that last season was one of his more healthy ones by chance. Just like 2011 when he played in 15 games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think he is up to the mental side of playing MLB in this defense.

If you draft Jack, that means sending Lee make to the middle.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think he is up to the mental side of playing MLB in this defense.

If you draft Jack, that means sending Lee make to the middle.
And when I hear this, it's like, what the hell am I drafting at fourth overall???

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And when I hear this, it's like, what the hell am I drafting at fourth overall???
It is just our luck.

The one fucking year we get a top five pick, nobody can fucking figure out who the best player(s) are by February and we are left with non-essential positions like LDE, DB and LB with guys in the running.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Next year his salary spikes to 7 million and he's probably a goner at that point. Hopefully Wilson or a pick in this draft is ready to step up and play by then.
Yeah 3 million is not bad, I just don't want to pass on a possible replacement depending on that guy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It is just our luck.

The one fucking year we get a top five pick, nobody can fucking figure out who the best player(s) are by February and we are left with non-essential positions like LDE, DB and LB with guys in the running.
Yep it sucks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
2013 was worse, but yes, it's a shame. That's why we need to maximize the potential of the pick by taking a QB, I'd much rather roll the dice on a QB we have ranked say 7th overall than a LB ranked 3rd overall.

With that said, would the 4th pick last year been that much better?

Amari Cooper was a fantastic prospect for sure, but is Dante Fowler a better prospect than Bosa?

I'd say no.

Scherff went 5th overall, Leonard Williams would have been kind of an odd fit at 6-5, 300 although I'm sure he'd be more or less fine in our scheme, and feh to guys like Kevin White and Vic Beasley.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
2013 was worse, but yes, it's a shame. That's why we need to maximize the potential of the pick by taking a QB, I'd much rather roll the dice on a QB we have ranked say 7th overall than a LB ranked 3rd overall.

Amari Cooper was a fantastic prospect for sure, but is Dante Fowler a better prospect than Bosa?

I'd say no.

Scherff went 5th overall, Leonard Williams would have been kind of an odd fit at 6-5, 300 although I'm sure he'd be more or less fine in our scheme, and feh to guys like Kevin White and Vic Beasley.
I have no doubt Leonard Williams could play 3 technique.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have no doubt Leonard Williams could play 3 technique.
Probably, although I kind of like him better as a 1. I'd take him over guys like Jack and Ramsey although I don't think I'd take him over one of the QB's. My point is that it's not like last year was overflowing with great prospects in the top 5-10 and neither was 2013, which was actually worse. The 2012 and 2014 drafts were better at the top for sure although in hindsight the 2012 top 10 has turned out to be a huge flop more or less while 2014 has kind of been one too to a much lesser extent, although it's still early.

The 2011 draft was clearly better but that 1st round will go down as the best of all time in my opinion.

So basically in the last 5 drafts we have one all-timer that's no comparison in 2011, 2012 which was better going into it but has been a huge flop, 2013 which was worse, 2014 which was better but still a bit underwhelming in hindsight and 2015 which was better but not by a longshot.

Kind of sucks, but it's not the end of the world like 2013 was.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Probably, although I kind of like him better as a 1. I'd take him over guys like Jack and Ramsey although I don't think I'd take him over one of the QB's. My point is that it's not like last year was overflowing with great prospects in the top 5-10 and neither was 2013, which was actually worse. The 2012 and 2014 drafts were better at the top for sure although in hindsight the 2012 top 10 has turned out to be a huge flop more or less while 2014 has kind of been one too to a much lesser extent, although it's still early.

The 2011 draft was clearly better but that 1st round will go down as the best of all time in my opinion.

So basically in the last 5 drafts we have one all-timer that's no comparison in 2011, 2012 which was better going into it but has been a huge flop, 2013 which was worse, 2014 which was better but still a bit underwhelming in hindsight and 2015 which was better but not by a longshot.

Kind of sucks, but it's not the end of the world like 2013 was.
I think a guy like Williams matched with Crawford in the middle of this defense would create a massive change on the field in terms of the whole defense. He'd be a game changer. I didn't watch him with the Jets but I took him in the Mayock (Titans) because of how impressed I was with the draft breakdown coverage of him at USC.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I'd say no.

Gambling on a QB can impact your franchise negatively much more, it ties you up for a set number of years trying to find out if he is actually the guy and stops you from continuing that search.

And hell yes having the 4th last year would have been better Give me Cooper, Williams, Shelton, White or Gurley and I would be ecstatic.

If I had Williams I would put at LE and put Lawrence at RE and then kick Williams inside on passing downs, I don't see how an athletic guy like Williams is an odd fit.

And you know Jerry is going to give a QB 5 years plus to figure out if he is the guy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is just our luck.

Thats why the pick that makes sense is far and away the QB if you grade him as a Pro Bowler.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I'd say no.

Oh man, I'd feel much better about Fowler, Leonard Williams, Beasley and Amari Cooper. Amari Cooper is better clearly than Laquan Treadwell I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom