What would your dream scenario be?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Although I'm pretty certain they will get one of the 2 QB's at 4, I'm not really enamored with the top of this draft so my dream scenario would be the Eagles trading up with us for their first and third this year and next since they don't seem to have a 2nd this year.
At the Philly spot we would probably still have a shot at one of Jack, Smith, Billings, Lawson, Elliott, Spence, Reed, etc. who knows, maybe even one of the QB's (probably Lynch) falls...
And next year we'd have two first in case we need to move up for the franchise QB (which I doubt since I think the Eagles will suck).

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd be open to that type of trade, but not with the Eagles. Rams maybe. Could you imagine if we essentially gave Wentz or Goff to the eagles and he turned out to be a perennial all pro for the next decade? No thanks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be open to that type of trade, but not with the Eagles. Rams maybe. Could you imagine if we essentially gave Wentz or Goff to the eagles and he turned out to be a perennial all pro for the next decade? No thanks.
I would prefer to take one of those two QBs but if not via a trade down getting a couple of firsts in return would be ideal. Even if it is from the Eagles. The reason I say that is because if we are moving down in the draft away from a QB, I hope our team is pretty convinced that the QB isn't a franchise guy. If that's what our scouts are saying, then fine, let the Eagles burn a ton of resources on him. I'd be pissed off now and I would probably disagree with our scouts but so be it. Either you believe they are a franchise QB or you don't. If you don't, then you don't really care what team is trading up for them.

It would be nice to get an extra second in this draft though. Which is why a team like the Rams may be more tempting. You might be able to leave this draft with a couple of major contributors on defense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
1. Wentz
2. Billings
3. Collins

That's my dream 3 and possibly attainable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Wentz
2. Billings
3. Collins

That's my dream 3 and possibly attainable.
Billings is probably the least likely part of that. But there are so many good DT's that someone has to drop. I'll go a little more ridiculous then you but my dream scenario is:

1. Goff QB
2. Vernon Butler DT
3. Will Fuller WR (Which is probably the least likely to be there, but hey why not)

Vernon Butler has really grown on me. He is a big dude and he moves really well.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Although I'm pretty certain they will get one of the 2 QB's at 4
I can't understand why people are so sure of this, I'm sure not. These clucks have said they think they have it handled with 3-5 more years of Romo and Kellen Moore. They'll sign another veteran QB in FA but not draft one.

Of course, you chose the right word - "dream" and I share the dream they will use that #4 pick to get the QB of the future, now. But I sure wouldn't make any bets on it.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Would you be trading for LA's 1st and 2 2nd's? or 1st, 2nd and next years first?
The problem for me with this, is I see LA next year as an 8-8 or better team while I see the eagles with a worse record next year than this year.
I guess I'd trade for their 2 2nd's and If non of the top 3 QB's fell in the first I'd try and trade one of the 2nd's for a 1st next year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I can't understand why people are so sure of this, I'm sure not. These clucks have said they think they have it handled with 3-5 more years of Romo and Kellen Moore. They'll sign another veteran QB in FA but not draft one.

Of course, you chose the right word - "dream" and I share the dream they will use that #4 pick to get the QB of the future, now. But I sure wouldn't make any bets on it.
Nobody has said they think that about Moore and they have said just as much about the value of drafting a QB because they will not have a chance at picking this high again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No trade:

1. Goff or Wentz, don't care which
2. Sheldon Rankins (you can just fill in the DT here; Reed, Butler, Clark, etc.)
3. Alex Collins
4. Xavien Howard
5. Maurice Canady
6. Yannick Ngakoue
7. Blake Martinez

I realize we're missing some picks but I just filled in what we're missing with comp picks to make it an even full round draft because why not.

Trade down to let's just say 12, picking up a future 1st, 2nd and 5th this year:

1. Noah Spence
2. Jarran Reed (same as above)
2. Darian Thompson
3. Kenneth Dixon
4. Sheldon Day
5. Deiondre Hall
5. Antonio Morrison
6. Brandon Allen
7. Thomas Duarte

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
They haven't said that. He is making that shit up to try to make a point.
Well, it is perfectly okay with me for people to have faith in Jerry and whatever stooges he has at his feet. I respect others' religious beliefs, no matter how pie and the sky I personally think they are.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

If I were a betting man I'd bet we wouldn't take a QB at #4. They still think Romo can lead us for a few more years even though he never had done it to this point and is now in his mid 30s and often-injured. But since they keep putting all their eggs in this same basket I expect it again which means we will try to 'win now' with Romo and draft a player who can start immediately, probably on defense.

I also expect we'll sign RGIII or another vet QB as backup or draft a QB on day 2 who will never be more than a backup, wasting a high round draft pick in the process. If they deem Goff/Wentz/Lynch not draft-worthy then not sure why they'd think another lower rated QB would be a better option.

Now if we aren't sold on any of the top three QB's then I'd prefer trading down to about 7th with SF and possibly picking up their 2nd.
I'd then take Jack if available or Ezekiel Elliot.
2a: highest rated DL
2b: WR or DB
3a: DB or WR (RB if we didn't take Elliot in first)

Last edited:

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
If I were a betting man I'd bet we wouldn't take a QB at #4. They still think Romo can lead us for a few more years even though he never had done it to this point and is now in his mid 30s and often-injured. But since they keep putting all their eggs in this same basket I expect it again which means we will try to 'win now' with Romo and draft a player who can start immediately, probably on defense.

I also expect we'll sign RGIII or another vet QB as backup or draft a QB on day 2 who will never be more than a backup, wasting a high round draft pick in the process. If they deem Goff/Wentz/Lynch not draft-worthy then not sure why they'd think another lower rated QB would be a better option.
Logical. In fact I don't believe they draft a QB in the early rounds at all.

Now if we aren't sold on any of the top three QB's then I'd prefer trading down to about 7th with SF and possibly picking up their 2nd.
I'd then take Jack if available or Ezekiel Elliot.
2a: highest rated DL
2b: WR or DB
3a: DB or WR (RB if we didn't take Elliot in first)
Can't imagine them doing this intelligent, strategic thing. I think they will just take the picks as they fall, taking their best guy left on the board at 4. Unless of course, it's a QB then they will just default to their second guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I haven't seen that one.
Jones said it immediately after the season ended. But since he has softened that stance and now is back talking about windows and Romo and how they have to get him more around him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones said it immediately after the season ended. But since he has softened that stance and now is back talking about windows and Romo and how they have to get him more around him.
He didn't say that "they won't be picking that high again". That wasn't his reasoning. He said that backup QB was important, and that resources "could" be thrown at the problem. His basic quote was "you have to have a guy that can step in to carry you for a few games if Romo goes down again."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He didn't say that "they won't be picking that high again". That wasn't his reasoning. He said that backup QB was important, and that resources "could" be thrown at the problem. His basic quote was "you have to have a guy that can step in to carry you for a few games if Romo goes down again."
Jerry did mention the rare opportunity to be picking near the top of the draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry did mention the rare opportunity to be picking near the top of the draft.
He didn't say it in relation to picking a QB, though. That is my point.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He didn't say it in relation to picking a QB, though. That is my point.
Yep it just means we don't have to trade up for a CB this time :art

Top Bottom