Online Draft Guides

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bought Brugler's and also Nolan Nawrocki's one today.

Brugler is very very tame and is consistent with what you would call "mainstream" opinion. Not much to it than reference. Good work, but nothing juicy or particularly informative or intriguing if you digest a lot of draft stuff.

Nawrocki's was good. If you guys recall, he was the dude who went all negative on both Cam Newton and Geno Smith. He used to write for PFW and inherited the "draft guru" thing from Joel Buchsbaum.

Here are some of his takes from a "scout" on Cowboy targets:

Takkarist McKinley

Scout’s take: “He is stiff, stiff, stiff. He’s a straight-line speed guy that falls down when he tries to bend. Two-thirds of his production comes when he is unblocked vs. bad competition. He will get way overdrafted."

DeMarcus Walker

Scout’s take: “How he got all those sacks baffles me. I didn’t think he was a very good player.”

Derek Barnett

Scout’s take: “(Barnett) is really, really good. I think you can put 20 pounds on him and make him a helluva three-technique. He has not even begun to fill out his body. He looks fleshy when you see him up close… . He’s a stiff, strong, straight-line burst guy. I think those qualities play better inside.”

Obi Melifonwu

Scout’s take: “(Melifonwu) looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He’s tall and lanky and not necessarily soft, but he does not look like a safety moving around. Now, if you were handing out sticks to a track team, I would draft him first. Someone needs to show me the tape where he plays 4.4 though. I have not seen any yet, and I’ve spent a lot of time (tracking) him.”

T.J. Watt

Scout’s take: “T.J. Watt has some upside. I just left Wisconsin. He’s probably a third (rounder) for us. He reminds me of (Redskins’ 2014 second-round pick [47th] Trent Murphy). (Watt) is another better-football-player-than-athlete type. He has to be a 3-4 rush (linebacker).”

Taco Charlton

Scout’s take: “Taco didn’t wow me at the Combine, and he didn’t wow me on tape. You hear prognosticators and even people in our own building talking about him as a great defensive end — I just haven’t bought in. He’ll (be drafted) highly just off his sheer physical traits. I will stand by my grade (in the third round) and see how his career plays out. I know what I saw, and I can only grade what I see.”

Jabrill Peppers

Scout’s take: “I know there are (scouts) that graded him as a running back. I didn’t see enough of that to say it. If you are going to draft him early, you need to have a conviction about where to play him and run with it. I think he is a great athlete and will go somewhere in the first (round). I was not fired up with what I saw of him as a safety.”

Tre'Davious White

Scout’s take: “He is not flashy or twitchy. He is big, fast and dependable and returns punts, but he’s not special (as a returner). He’s so big that he can get hit and knocked back five yards and keep his feet and convert.”

Cordrea Tankersley

Scout’s take: “(Tankersley) is going to have a bunch of penalties in the pros. He’s big and fast, but he’s not tough and won’t tackle anyone — it’s a bad combination to me.”

Charles Harris

Scout’s take: “I was surprised he didn’t test better (at the Combine). He didn’t run or jump particularly well. I was expecting to see a more explosive athlete based on the way he plays.”

Adoree Jackson

Scout's take: Jackson is small and undisciplined, but you have to respect him for his return ability. He had eight returns for TD’s. He was an All-American jumper at USC on the track team and can flat out fly. He runs track at 175 (pounds). He played between 177-180 during the year. I don’t know how well he is going to hold up at our level, but I like what he does with the ball in his hands.”

Tarrell Basham

Scout’s take: “Our coaches really like him. I don’t think he can be a linebacker after watching him work out (at the Combine). He needs to have his hand in the dirt and be coming forward. That’s how he is going to make his living.”

Gareon Conley

Scout’s take: “(Conley) looked really good (at the Combine). He has a little hip tightness that you see in his transition sometimes and better long speed than short speed. You know I’m a hard grader. He keeps pushing his way up for me.”

If anyone wants Brugler's guide, PM me your email and I can send it to you.

D

Deuce

That is a primitive way of looking at it.

But there are only four or five guys in any draft tops that don't suck in some way, shape or form.
I don't expect it to be anything special considering how 1st rounders are being treated, but can you give you Shaq Griffin's blurb?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
McKinley posted 6 of his 10 sacks and 9 of his 18 TFL against Stanford, Utah, and Colorado, i.e. 3 of the best teams in the PAC-12 in 2016. One of those sacks was a strip sack against Garrett Bolles, a likely top 25 pick.

How about we talk about Charles Harris and how 7.5 of his 9 sacks and 9.5 of his 12 TFL came against Vanderbilt, Georgia, and South Carolina?

And how did DeMarcus Walker get so many sacks?

Because he has an elite swim move and his quickness/explosiveness as an interior pass-rusher was way too much for college OG's/C's.

And you want to see a few plays where Melifonwu plays to 4.4 speed?

This guy is a fucking hack who probably gets his rocks off by shit talking prospects because it makes him feel like he knows something. It's easy to shit talk prospects like they can't do anything because like booze says most of these guys suck generally speaking, they're 21-23 year old college kids for the most part.

It's much more difficult to identify what attributes/traits prospects do have and how that translates into certain schemes or roles.

Mod Edit: Embedded gifs

Last edited by a moderator:

midswat

... soon
Sounds like he only liked Derek Barnett (Go Vols), Who basically got all his sacks against SEC competition.

And isn't the knock on Myles Garrett how he got most of his sacks against weak competition?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Oh yea, and his take that Barnett should be converted to a 3-technique is gump fucking central.

D

Deuce

Maybe I misunderstood...was he using his opinion as Scout's Take? I thought maybe he asked around about them to give another perspective.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maybe I misunderstood...was he using his opinion as Scout's Take? I thought maybe he asked around about them to give another perspective.
I thought it was from Nawrocki, even if it was from an actual scout I'd still say the opinions are narrow-minded and ridiculous.

Transition Barnett to a 3-technique?

Yea, ok, let's just have him add 35 lbs I'm sure that's going to go swimmingly.

And as I already pointed out, more than half of McKinley's production came against some of the best teams in the PAC-12, and the guy doesn't even mention how about 80-85% of Harris' statistical production came in 3 games against 3 average at best teams.

I don't give two fucks if a guy is a "scout" or not, Broaddus was a scout for like 20 years and says ridiculous shit all the time. When you're wrong you're wrong, especially when it's hard facts like saying 2/3rd's of McKinley's production came against bad competition.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought it was from Nawrocki, even if it was from an actual scout I'd still say the opinions are narrow-minded and ridiculous.

Transition Barnett to a 3-technique?

Yea, ok, let's just have him add 35 lbs I'm sure that's going to go swimmingly.

And as I already pointed out, more than half of McKinley's production came against some of the best teams in the PAC-12, and the guy doesn't even mention how about 80-85% of Harris' statistical production came in 3 games against 3 average at best teams.

I don't give two fucks if a guy is a "scout" or not, Broaddus was a scout for like 20 years and says ridiculous shit all the time. When you're wrong you're wrong, especially when it's hard facts like saying 2/3rd's of McKinley's production came against bad competition.
I think scouts love to shit talk players to people. I mean if you love a player, why the hell would you want every other NFL team to know? But seriously, these evaluations are god awful.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think scouts love to shit talk players to people. I mean if you love a player, why the hell would you want every other NFL team to know? But seriously, these evaluations are god awful.
True, appreciate the mod edit btw.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is a "scout" take. Not his.

data

Forbes #1
It is a "scout" take. Not his.
Nawrocki has to, at least, partially endorse the take, though. He did select it to be in his book, and I'm guessing as a 'credible' source of evidence to support his own take. I can't imagine he'd select a counter-opinion.

data

Forbes #1
Anyone subscribe to Pro Football Focus? They have a draft guide out now, too.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah I kind of enjoy their stuff.
hows their draft guide?

I only know them to specialize in analyzing stats, so wonder how their draft analysis is since you can't (unless they've proven differently) correlate college stats into NFL success as well. Do they have someone in-house or outsource someone to say non-statistic shit like "limited repertoire of pass-rushing moves but very coach able"

or or is draft analysis very stat-based, like SPARQ?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
hows their draft guide?

I only know them to specialize in analyzing stats, so wonder how their draft analysis is since you can't (unless they've proven differently) correlate college stats into NFL success as well. Do they have someone in-house or outsource someone to say non-statistic shit like "limited repertoire of pass-rushing moves but very coach able"

No, it is based off their weird grading. Saw one today that was like off the wall from one of their writers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
hows their draft guide?

Its sort of a combination of normal scouting and their advanced statistics from the little I have seen. But I personally love to see the QB rating against for a corner for example. Or yards after contact for a RB. And unlike amateur joe trying to count those stats up I at least trust Pro Football Focus to be fairly consistent with it.

Top Bottom