New York set to become first state to offer free tuition at public four-year colleges

townsend

Banned
I wish I could find the interview that I saw from a prominent economist that said his kids will take off for a year to pursue art, start a business or something like that before going to college. Starting a business with 25k and failing is more educational than than spending 40k in a year at an expensive university.

I don't think that booze is saying that his kid is gonna skip college entirely or anything. He's just going to work his way up and go to college.

You are right, lots of fields have a career track but many don't. Half of these kids have no idea what they're doing anyway.

My son 18 year told me he was going to major in communications. Not on my dime you aren't.
If I could give advice to a young person. I would tell them to looking into getting a techical degree from a cheap junior college for starters and getting some blue collar experience before they decide what they want to do. College, even at current prices, can be worth the price, but only with an idea if what you want to do with it. Not as High School part two.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Actually raw sciences don't necessarily pay all that well either. Especially at the baccalaureate level.
I cannot tell you the number of phlebotomist resumes I get.

Our job culture is so shitty now. If you want something you can earn from, it takes some feeling around. Sometimes, too late.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I could give advice to a young person. I would tell them to looking into getting a techical degree from a cheap junior college for starters and getting some blue collar experience before they decide what they want to do. College, even at current prices, can be worth the price, but only with an idea if what you want to do with it. Not as High School part two.
Fuckin' A.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No doubt. There are so many ways to go about it.

It is shameful that a kid has to feel inferior because he wants to be a plumber. Trades were so well respected not long ago but these young'ins think working like that is gross.

midswat

... soon
If we want the government to pay for a kids education, have them earn it with a tour in the military. I did, got eight years of electronics experience, then got out and the gub'ment gave me enough for college to cover a bachelors and halfway through a masters before I had to worry about any out of pocket costs.

And I agree with Boozeman and others who talk about kids feeling entitled because of some generic degree. I was in charge of hiring at my last job and we'd frequently staff some positions that were low wage (10.50 an hour) admin gigs. We'd mostly fill these spots via temp agencies due to the high turnover. No exaggeration, every time I contacted the temp agency for candidates, 80% + of the resumes would be from college graduates. Yes, most with useless degrees. College is only truly beneficial if you're getting a worthwhile degree.

I'll throw this out there.... there is a large shortage of trained craft workers in the US. Most people don't realize you could go to a technical college and get a 2 year degree and make a respectable living for yourself. If we are wanting to make education free, then perhaps the government should consider starting with this. I work for a major utility where young twenty somethings with a two year degree in electronics bring home 80-90-100k plus.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't tell you how many people I went to college with who were Criminal Justice majors. It blew my mind. So you pay for a degree that won't land you being a cop, lawyer or judge. What exactly are you going to do with that degree? Prison guard is the only thing that we could come up with.
The real scam is that you can't go to law school without a worthless four year degree first. I learned literally nothing in college that prepared me for law school. I probably had a better work ethic coming out of high school.

And then when you get to law school, they tack on a worthless third year of elective taking of such important classes like, copyright law. Yes, everyone needs that!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A lot of people don't understand what companies look for anymore and how the workforce is.

There is still the old idea, you graduate high school, go to college and then just find a good job.

Then these kids do that, then they are bitter because that is simply not the case. Most were also told how fucking awesome they are, so that just makes it worse.

It is a little scary the number of college grads I get resumes from. Tons. Most are underemployed. But the truly sick thing is, they would rather sit on their asses rather than take something "below" what they think they earned by going to school.
One word definition. Entitled.. it's really sad how that has replaced discipline and responsibility. Sounds like most everyone is in agreement about this.

townsend

Banned
If we want the government to pay for a kids education, have them earn it with a tour in the military. I did, got eight years of electronics experience, then got out and the gub'ment gave me enough for college to cover a bachelors and halfway through a masters before I had to worry about any out of pocket costs.

And I agree with Boozeman and others who talk about kids feeling entitled because of some generic degree. I was in charge of hiring at my last job and we'd frequently staff some positions that were low wage (10.50 an hour) admin gigs. We'd mostly fill these spots via temp agencies due to the high turnover. No exaggeration, every time I contacted the temp agency for candidates, 80% + of the resumes would be from college graduates. Yes, most with useless degrees. College is only truly beneficial if you're getting a worthwhile degree.

I'll throw this out there.... there is a large shortage of trained craft workers in the US. Most people don't realize you could go to a technical college and get a 2 year degree and make a respectable living for yourself. If we are wanting to make education free, then perhaps the government should consider starting with this. I work for a major utility where young twenty somethings with a two year degree in electronics bring home 80-90-100k plus.
College through tour in the military may sound good, but it only works for a handful of people qualified to serve. GI Bill is a hell of a benefit, but an enlistment is a long a winding path to get there. Unless someone was very very aware of how much it could fuck up their life, I would never advise them to join the military.

townsend

Banned
One word definition. Entitled.. it's really sad how that has replaced discipline and responsibility. Sounds like most everyone is in agreement about this.
This isn't a generational issue. There are a lot of older workers that refuse to retrain in a new job. Old ass men who think they've paid their dues can be entitled as fuck.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My 17 year old has his shit together. He wants nothing to do with a four year college. He wants to go out and get real world experience, educate on the side and "find himself" while getting paid at the same time.
This is what I basically did. I self-educated. And, I'm doing okay for myself. Degrees aren't necessary, but if you don't get one you have to work your ass off to get ahead. That's the commitment that most kids don't have today.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This isn't a generational issue. There are a lot of older workers that refuse to retrain in a new job. Old ass men who think they've paid their dues can be entitled as fuck.
I was commenting on boozes quote. What were you commenting about?

Cotton

Staff member
If we want the government to pay for a kids education, have them earn it with a tour in the military.
I could absolutely get down with this.

Cotton

Staff member
But, at least the old ass men have done something, anything, to at least even partially justify their entitlement. To be self-entitled when you have done jack nor shit to earn it is what I'm talking about.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But, at least the old ass men have done something, anything, to at least even partially justify their entitlement. To be self-entitled when you have done jack nor shit to earn it is what I'm talking about.
I think he was just taking a shot at me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
College isn't education for half the people who go.

Maybe more than half.

It should be free if you are going into science, math or medicine, maybe.
There were a huge number of students at my college that simply didn't belong there. Either not smart enough to be there, or didn't have any interest in taking it seriously.

It's become so ubiquitous now that academic standards have fallen drastically, the value of the degree has fallen with it, and the cost of attending has risen dramatically.

townsend

Banned
I think he was just taking a shot at me.
Nope, personal experience. As far as I know you've had three careers. So it seems to me you're a pretty adaptive person. I'm talking about laborers who at some point had a blue collar job (usually in manufacturing) trying to find work elsewhere. Quite a few older (gen X) men and women joined the military after the 2008 recession. They were way worse at taking orders than the young folks who had gone to the military just out of school. Admittedly some of the best fucking people I knew were from that older demographic as well, but that's the point, entitlement can affect anyone and be overcome by anyone.

townsend

Banned
I went to Beto O'Rourke's rally in Ft Worth and he had some pretty good ideas on student debt.

He talked about how universities that accept federal student loans need to be held responsible for controlling cost of attendance. He also mentioned that cities like Wichita Falls struggle to get young people to come back to their city because they can't offer competitive salaries compared to big cities, and we should be working out loan forgiveness programs for graduates willing to go work in underserved communities.

townsend

Banned
More government regulation. Awesome.
Yes. I'm so sick of our government being half assed because half of our voting population don't take enough of an interest to understand good regulation from bad regulation. This isn't black and white you can't run a gov't on the principal that regulations are bad. Because if a government isn't willing to regulate the private sector, the private sector will become a proxy government. Just like they did during the industrial revolution.

You know what should definitely be regulated l, any institution taking government money, isn't that intuitive?

Top Bottom