2-Cent Mock: Check Out The Staff Writers’ Personalized Cowboys Mock Drafts

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]2-Cent Mock: Check Out The Staff Writers’ Personalized Cowboys Mock Drafts[/h] Friday, April 07, 2017 3:05 PM CDT

FRISCO, Texas -- The NFL Draft is less than three weeks away, and for the second time in the last three years, the Cowboys have a first-round pick near the bottom of the round.

Here at the start of April, the DallasCowboys.com staff is making their early individual predictions for all seven picks, including No. 28 overall. Below are the two-cent mocks and analysis from Bryan Broaddus, David Helman, Rob Phillips and Nick Eatman:
Read
BryanDavidRobNick
Round 1
Kevin King
CB, Washington
Charles Harris
DE, Missouri
Takkarist McKinley
DE, UCLA

Takkarist McKinley
DE, UCLA Read
Round 2
Tarell Basham
DE, Ohio
Chidobe Awuzie
CB, Colorado
Cordrea Tankersley
CB, Clemson
Desmond King
CB/S, Iowa
Round 3
Xavier Woods
S, La. Tech
Julie'n Davenport
OT, Bucknell
Delano Hill
S, Michigan
Ethan Pocic
G/C, LSU
Round 4
Donnell Pumphrey
RB, S.D. State
Brian Allen
CB, Utah
Blair Brown
LB, Ohio
K.D. Cannon
WR, Baylor
Round 6
Davon Godchaux
DT, LSU
Joe Yearby
RB, Miami
Justin Davis
RB, USC
Brendan Langley
CB, Lamar
Round 7
Fred Ross
WR, Miss. State Read
Devonte Fields
DE, Louisville
Charles Walker
DT, Oklahoma
Tarik Cohen
RB, N.C. A&T
Round 7
Sam Tevi
OT, Utah Read
Jehu Chesson
WR, Michigan
Matt Milano
LB, BC
Elijah Lee
LB, KSU

Bryan Broaddus:
King has outstanding size and reach. Fast riser up the board the more that teams study his tape and get to know him. Basham can play either end, so flexibility makes him an asset. Woods is always around the ball and can play is coverage. Physical player. Pumphrey is short but explosive. If club wants to have a back in that Lance Dunbar role, he's your man. Very good returner. Godchaux is a one technique that doesn't have much flex. Strong at the point but is limited as a pass rusher. Ross is a local kid (Tyler, Texas) and was a teammate of Dak Prescott at Mississippi State. Nothing flashy but very steady. Tevi, like Ross, is a local kid (Euless, Texas). Was a defensive player that switched to offense his final two seasons at Utah. Developmental type of a player that has the physical skills to get a late shot.

David Helman: I'd honestly prefer to draft a cornerback at No. 28 overall, but I think the value is going to be better for a pass rusher and Harris fits the bill as the all-important right end. I love big, physical corners and Chidobe Awuzie is that, checking in at 6-0, 202 pounds. He could push for early playing time either outside or in the slot. Defense is obviously the priority for this team, but I don't like the odds that the board will fall that way three-straight times. Davenport is a good player at a position that could use some extra depth, so I rolled with it. The rest of my picks are depth guys with intriguing upside. I hate the fact that I didn't draft a safety, but the value just didn't work out the right way. I like Yearby as a well-rounded insurance policy for Ezekiel Elliott, and I like Fields as a talented guy that Rod Marinelli might be able to work with. Chesson's got solid size and speed and could push for a roster spot.

Rob Phillips: McKinley is a tentative first-round mock pick for me given his March shoulder surgery and Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones’ statement in late March that the team would be less inclined to spend a high draft pick on a prospect who might need an injury redshirt-type season like Jaylon Smith did. McKinley, though isn’t expected to miss his entire rookie year. On the early side of the 4-6 month timetable he gave at the Combine, McKinley could return sometime in training camp. When healthy, he’s a terrific pass-rushing prospect. You’ll notice a theme to the rest of my mock draft: defense. Arguably the Cowboys’ three biggest needs (edge rusher, cornerback, safety) are addressed in the first three rounds, and running back is the only offensive position included here. The Cowboys should have plenty of options for defensive help early in this draft, as it’s considered one of the deepest classes in recent memory.

Nick Eatman: I know Jerry Jones said he wasn’t interested in taking guys who are banged up, but he’s always interested in getting value. And when you’re 28th overall, it’s hard to find that. Add on the fact that their attempt at stealing a great player in Randy Gregory has not panned out at all. I think McKinley makes sense here, even though he might miss all of the offseason and perhaps some of camp. King reminds me of Byron Jones in his position flex. He could be playing one spot this year and a different one the next. Pocic might not be around but again, value in the third round of a versatile lineman. Remember, we’re not just picking players for this year’s depth chart, but down the road. Cannon has the speed I’ve been asking for and Cohen could be a Dunbar replacement. If he can play, this team could use another linebacker named Lee.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I will take:

1. Davids - Harris
2. Robs - Tankersley
3. Bryans - Woods
4. Nick - Cannon

Dont know enough for rounds 6 and 7.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I will take:

1. Davids - Harris
2. Robs - Tankersley
3. Bryans - Woods
4. Nick - Cannon

Dont know enough for rounds 6 and 7.
Sam Tevi, Jehu Chesson and Tarik Cohen would be outstanding 7th round picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would go

1. David's - Harris DE
2. David's - Awuzie CB
3. Bryan's - Woods S (Probably a round higher then I want but the other third rounders suck)
4. Nick's - KD Cannon WR
6. Bryan's - Davon Godchaux DT
7. David's - Devonte Fields DE
7. Nick - Elijah Lee LB

That would be a pretty great haul. The only complaint would be I'd like to pick up an O-lineman on day 3, but I just don't see who is worth it. And with our roster, you're looking at maybe a 4th OT making the roster but I doubt a Center or Guard would make the roster. Looney and Cooper are going to be the backups on the interior I'd be willing to bet.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I would go

1. David's - Harris DE
2. David's - Awuzie CB
3. Bryan's - Woods S (Probably a round higher then I want but the other third rounders suck)
4. Nick's - KD Cannon WR
6. Bryan's - Davon Godchaux DT
7. David's - Devonte Fields DE
7. Nick - Elijah Lee LB

That would be a pretty great haul. The only complaint would be I'd like to pick up an O-lineman on day 3, but I just don't see who is worth it. And with our roster, you're looking at maybe a 4th OT making the roster but I doubt a Center or Guard would make the roster. Looney and Cooper are going to be the backups on the interior I'd be willing to bet.
It's interesting because they've absolutely hit on 1st round OL the last 5 years. I'd love to see some late round steals now that they understand what they're looking for there.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's interesting because they've absolutely hit on 1st round OL the last 5 years. I'd love to see some late round steals now that they understand what they're looking for there.
Collins and Dak have been two of the NFL's biggest steals in a long time. But yeah, would be nice to keep that going.

Dallas as needs an infusion of speed almost everywhere.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]2-Cent Mock: DallasCowboys.com Writers’ 2nd Personalized Mock Drafts[/h] Friday, April 21, 2017 3:14 PM CDT

By DallasCowboys.com Report

FRISCO, Texas -- The NFL Draft is less than a week away as the Cowboys continue their draft meetings and finalize their preparation for the April 27-29 event.
With only a few days left, the writers of DallasCowboys.com have completed an updated personalized mock draft for all seven Cowboys picks, including No. 28 overall.
Below are the predictions and analysis from Bryan Broaddus, David Helman, Rob Phillips and Nick Eatman:

BryanDavidRobNick
Round 1
Malik McDowell
DE, Michigan St.
Gareon Conley
CB, Ohio State
Takkarist McKinley
DE, UCLA
Kevin King
CB, Washington
Round 2
Desmond King
CB/S, Iowa
Tarell Basham
DE, Ohio
Cordrea Tankersley
CB, Clemson
Takkarist McKinley
DE, UCLA
Round 3
Shaquill Griffin
CB, Central Florida
Josh Jones
S, N. Carolina St.
Delano Hill
S, Michigan
D'Onta Foreman
RB, Texas
Round 4
Julie'n Davenport
OT, Bucknell
Jamaal Williams
RB, BYU
Blair Brown
LB, Ohio
Xavier Woods
S, Louisiana Tech
Round 6
Stacy Coley
WR, Miami
Treston Decoud
CB, Oregon St.
Jehu Chesson
WR, Michigan
Ishmael Zamora
WR, Baylor
Round 7
CJ Beathard
QB, Iowa
Sam Tevi
OT, Utah
Elijah McGuire
RB, Louisiana-Lafayette
Ezra Robinson
CB, Tennessee St.
Round 7
Chunky Clements
DT, Illinois
Devonte Fields
DE, Louisville
Charles Walker
DT, Oklahoma
Alex Torgersen
QB, Penn

Bryan’s Analysis: With a week before the 2017 NFL Draft and the likelihood of having to do one final mock – I present my Big 10 version. I like this draft for a couple of reasons. I am getting the sense that there is a growing love for McDowell in the room among the coaches and scouts despite some concerns about his motor. The question will be did McDowell do enough in his one-on-one meetings with Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones but more importantly – Jason Garrett to convince him that he’s the right kind of guy? McDowell is one of the most intriguing prospects in the draft due to his ability. When “on” he can take over games. Desmond King wasn’t a pre-draft visit and that’s my only concern. He is one of the toughest players in the draft that has the potential to play either corner or safety and be very good at it. Shaquill Griffin has the speed and quickness to carry receivers at all levels and can make tackles in space. Julie’n Davenport would be your 53rd man on the roster and likely inactive each week -- but that shouldn’t stop you from taking him due to his potential development. Here recently the Cowboys haven’t had success taking those small school kids and having them work out like they did in the 1990’s. But they have a chance for a big hit here if Davenport works out. Stacy Coley is quick, fast and smooth. He has ideal size at 6-0 and can snatch the ball on the move. There is a chance that C.J. Beathard won’t be there in the seventh round, but if he is – I’d pull the trigger here. The staff worked him out and liked what they saw. Chunky Clements can play as a one or three-technique, but I wish he had a little more burst to finish. His head coach was Lovie Smith -- who I am sure put in a good word for the kid with Rod Marinelli.

David’s Analysis: I think this is all going to come down to a discussion of need against depth. The Cowboys would prefer to draft a pass rusher No. 28 overall, but pass rushers tend to fly off the board. Would you rather have a second-tier pass rusher or a top-tier cornerback? I opt for corner, as Gareon Conley has great size and some serious upside. Having missed on my pass rusher in the first round, I’m hoping and praying that someone I like falls to No. 60 – in this case, a four-year player in Tarell Basham. Josh Jones could use some work in his coverage, but he is a fantastic tackler – which sounds a lot like the free agent safeties the Cowboys lost in March. Williams isn’t going to blow you away with his meausrables, but he’s a sturdy and talented all-around running back. I love the idea of him serving as Ezekiel Elliott’s insurance policy for four years. The rest of these guys are shots in the dark. Decoud has an intriguing 6-2 frame. Tevi and Fields are local prospects, so it stands to reason the Cowboys have a good read on them. Both players have potential this coaching staff could tap into.

Rob’s Analysis: I’m keeping the top four picks consistent with my Version 1 mock, and there’s a consistent theme: defense, defense, defense. McKinley’s March shoulder surgery could cause him to slip in the first round, and if he’s there at 28 he might be the best pass rusher left. With a 4-6 month timetable, he might have to sit out training camp – but there’s no indication that the injury would jeopardize his rookie year. Tankersley has an ideal frame to help against this division’s tall, productive receivers. Brown might have a little Anthony Hitchens to his game; he’s not the biggest linebacker, but he has a nose for the ball. McGuire presents a versatile receiving element at running back. I added a wide receiver to this mock; Chesson has the skills to develop with time.

Nick’s Analysis: We’ve seen weird things happen before. I think McKinley falls into the second round, maybe not all the way to 60 but close enough for the Cowboys to move around and get him. He’d be risky at No. 28 because he’s not going to be ready for camp, but less of a risk in the second round. Remember this, Maliek Collins missed all of the offseason and camp and had a great rookie year. As for the first pick, King would be ideal if he lands to the Cowboys, but if not, there’s a few cornerbacks in that range that could help them. I like Foreman because of his running style and it’d complement Zeke. Woods gives them depth at safety and Zamora has some freakish qualities. He’s had some immature moments and his still rather raw as a receiver, but if he pulls it all together, he could a beast. Torgersen could be appealing to another former Ivy League quarterback that happens to have a big influence in the draft. The fact that he threw seven interceptions the last two years is impressive for any league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
David's is actually the best in my humble opinion.

Nick's just doesn't seem realistic to me.

Top Bottom