OT Should Be A Sudden Death, Not An Equal Opportunity

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
OT SHOULD BE A SUDDEN DEATH, NOT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
by Ron Borges

This time of year a lot of nitwit suggestions are made about how to improve pro football. Almost annually one is some form of tinkering with overtime.

Why?

Not surprisingly, Atlanta Falcons’ general manager Thomas Dimitroff recently half-heartedly suggested each team should get the ball at least once regardless if a touchdown is scored on the first possession, thus eliminating the sudden death his team suffered in Super Bowl LI when the New England Patriots came from 25 points down in the second half to beat them on the first drive of overtime. That proposal, though understandably heartfelt, is ill-founded.

Dimitroff said “we would like to have an opportunity’’ to at least possess the ball once. I’d say holding a 25-point lead and a 99-percent chance of victory with barely a quarter to play indicates you possessed the ball more than enough to win. If you still blow the game, it’s bogus to suggest you were a victim of anything but self-immolation.

Sudden death is still the best form of overtime. If you can’t get it done in four quarters then you’ve had enough chances. After that it’s every man for himself. One-and-done is more than the opposite of bogus. It’s brilliant!

What was not brilliant was a proposal from NBC Sports’ Mike Florio, who had an overtime suggestion that was well off the nitwit chart. His idea to settle the issue? A two-point conversion battle.

With Florio’s plan, one offense and defense goes to one end of the field, and the other offense and defense goes to the other. A two-point conversion attempt occurs at each end, three times per team, with either two or zero points scored and the snaps occurring 25 seconds apart to keep things moving. Heck, why not do it simultaneously, like a track and field meet?

If the game remains tied after three tries each, Florio proposed, they go back and forth until someone wins. Florio claimed “It would be exciting, frenetic, compelling, and it would involve as few as six extra snaps. And we’ve yet to hear a good argument against it.’’

Here’s one: it’s stupid. It would be akin to settling the World Series with a home-run derby. Why play actual football to decide a football game?

Florio further suggested the officiating crews be split, with four at one end of the field and four at the other. So we decide a game with half the officials keeping an eye on two-point conversion tries? How about blind-folded skeet-shooting instead?

A proposal to limit overtime to 10 minutes rather than 15 during the season thankfully also fell on deaf ears at the owners’ meetings. It was proposed as a way to limit the length of games and the players’ exposure to injury, and both are noble thoughts. But the fact is: Few overtimes last that long. So you’d be fixing something that isn’t broken.

The problems with pro football are many, but overtime is not one of them. Frankly, I’d favor going back to the original rule, which was you score you win. Period. After a four-quarter stalemate, no one should be entitled to further considerations. But it’s clear many feel no one should lose on a field goal today, when a 45-yard try is considered little more than a chip shot for the game’s top kickers.

Okay. I’ll give you that. But give you the ball back after you give up a touchdown on the first drive of overtime? Sorry. You lose.

dallen

Senior Tech
I understand the arguments for keeping sudden death overtime, but I also find the way CFB handles it a lot more fun. The reality is that there is no solution that is going to make every happy.

(But that plan sounds stupid as hell.)

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What was not brilliant was a proposal from NBC Sports’ Mike Florio, who had an overtime suggestion that was well off the nitwit chart. His idea to settle the issue? A two-point conversion battle.

With Florio’s plan, one offense and defense goes to one end of the field, and the other offense and defense goes to the other. A two-point conversion attempt occurs at each end, three times per team, with either two or zero points scored and the snaps occurring 25 seconds apart to keep things moving. Heck, why not do it simultaneously, like a track and field meet?

If the game remains tied after three tries each, Florio proposed, they go back and forth until someone wins. Florio claimed “It would be exciting, frenetic, compelling, and it would involve as few as six extra snaps. And we’ve yet to hear a good argument against it.’’

Here’s one: it’s stupid. It would be akin to settling the World Series with a home-run derby. Why play actual football to decide a football game?

Florio further suggested the officiating crews be split, with four at one end of the field and four at the other. So we decide a game with half the officials keeping an eye on two-point conversion tries? How about blind-folded skeet-shooting instead?
Awful.

Just adopt college football's overtime rules. Each team get's a chance whether a TD is scored or not. Problem solved.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Colleges have a good system for eliminating ties. It's equitable for both teams and it will work in the NFL.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Colleges have a good system for eliminating ties. It's equitable for both teams and it will work in the NFL.
Except you are fundamentally altering how the game is played, which is not so great.

I agree with the article. DEFENSE is part of the game. Stop the other team and there's your opportunity to possess the ball.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, I hate the college overtime. The way the NFL has it now is fine. If you want a chance to tie it, stop the other team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I hate the college overtime. The way the NFL has it now is fine. If you want a chance to tie it, stop the other team.
Well you're not really looking for a chance to tie it. You're looking for a chance to win it...

I will say the way the NFL has shifted in favor of offenses makes it a bigger advantage to get the ball first in overtime. I don't mind the current overtime rules but I can see why you don't really want to have a coin flip influencing the outcome of a game too much.

I enjoy the college football overtime rules but it would feel different in the NFL. What I don't agree with is somehow trying to "reduce" the number of plays in overtime. That's just stupid. Over time is extremely exciting. Why would you want to reduce it to a lucky play here or there? Like overtime is some afterthought to the game that was just played. That seems really silly to me.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Except you are fundamentally altering how the game is played, which is not so great.

I agree with the article. DEFENSE is part of the game. Stop the other team and there's your opportunity to possess the ball.
Explain. The game has already been played. The rest is an attempt to break the tie. How does that change the game?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Just keep playing if time runs out and the game is tied. If you just scored a tying FG with time running out it's your turn to kick-off, if you scored a TD you can decide to go for 2 and win or 1 and kick-off.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Explain. The game has already been played. The rest is an attempt to break the tie. How does that change the game?
This is not a unique criticism so I'm not sure why I would have to explain it, but here goes.

Instead of kicking off and making teams march the length of the field to get in scoring range, they place the ball already in field goal range at the 25 to start each drive. That's an enormous change in how the game is played. The preceding 4 quarters are irrelevant other than the OT rules are anathema to it.

It's similar to the shootout in hockey (which is also ridiculous).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is not a unique criticism so I'm not sure why I would have to explain it, but here goes.

Instead of kicking off and making teams march the length of the field to get in scoring range, they place the ball already in field goal range at the 25 to start each drive. That's an enormous change in how the game is played. The preceding 4 quarters are irrelevant other than the OT rules are anathema to it.

It's similar to the shootout in hockey (which is also ridiculous).
But the overtime is not the game. It has been played. The tiebreaker is an exercise much like soccer. They line up and kick goals to break the tie. Some sports like basketball use game situations but not all sports.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But the overtime is not the game. It has been played. The tiebreaker is an exercise much like soccer. They line up and kick goals to break the tie. Some sports like basketball use game situations but not all sports.
OT is part of the game, LT. Stop being obstinate.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
OT is part of the game, LT. Stop being obstinate.
I am not being obstinate. OTs in soccer and hockey are not part of the game. The game is finished. The only thing left to do is eliminate the tie. That is a seperate process completely independent of the game previously played. College football uses a tie breaker up to a point then if it isn't resolved then it's still a tie but it is in a format seperate than the normal game structure.

The reason for tiebreakers deviating from game form is because it is deemed to be the way to be fair to both opponents. Basketball, Baseball and others can be fair to both sides by continuing the same game processes and some may not. Pro football will always have dissenters with the sudden death method because some do not think it is a fair system.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just keep playing if time runs out and the game is tied. If you just scored a tying FG with time running out it's your turn to kick-off, if you scored a TD you can decide to go for 2 and win or 1 and kick-off.
I actually sort of like this idea. Why shouldn't the team who has been leading up until the very last second have an advantage in overtime? And like you said, when scoring a TD to tie it up, that team can then weigh the option of a two point conversion and it may eliminate some overtime games as a result (Which the NFL seems to want to do).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What was so offensive to you? Everyone has their own ideas about OT in pro football. You don't like the college method because you think I isn't played the way the regular game is played. I like it because it is equitable to both teams even though it is executed in a fashion different from the regulation game.

I guess that earns me a dickhead label? That's childish man.

Top Bottom