Jerry Jones wants NFL to relax rules against marijuana use

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
With marijuana, the idea is to get so high that you don’t know who or what you are. There is no such thing as a quickie or one to be sociable. You can drink alcohol without getting drunk; you can't smoke weed without getting high.
:lol

Wow. Did you really believe those anti-drug films they showed you as a kid in school? You really do not know what you are talking about here, that much is clear. The idea for most people is not "get so high that you don’t know who or what you are". Maybe for some it is, and those are the people who are going to go on to harder drugs and have real problems. Also, though you can drink alcohol and not get drunk, it is extremely naive to suggest that in most instances people are not getting some sort of effect from the alcohol. That is why people consume it. And some drink "to forget", right? Isn't that a common conception? To ease the pain?

Why should kids listen to an NFL player's anti-weed speech knowing that his employer allows it? Kinda undercuts the message, no?
No. It does not undercut the message. If an NFL player came to a middle school and said "Hey kids, take it from me Johnny Pigskin, you should not mess with marijuana", how many kids are going to say "But Johnny Pigskin, your employer doesn't test for it, doesn't that mean that it is OK for me to smoke it?"? Even if they did and even if they said "I heard a lot of NFL players smoke weed" it is pretty simple to say "Well, even adults sometimes make bad decisions, kids, but don't you mess with around with it. It can lead to all kinds of problems and you should be focusing on other things in your life instead of getting involved with something like that. Plus you can get in a lot of trouble". Guys don't necessarily have to believe that or at least strongly believe it to send out that message. Half of those kids are probably listening to Wiz Khalifa talking about smoking weed all the time so how does the NFL testing policy or what Johnny Pigskin says somehow trump what is pumping into their earbuds all day anyway?

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think they have relaxed rules so much as they only test one time a year and everyone knows when it is, but I could be wrong
The NFL notifies of dates too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought it was sort of random. But then once you got tested you knew you wouldn't be tested again until the following year. Unless of course you're in the drug program. You're basically screwed at that point which is why you see so many repeat offenders.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes, but once you test positive once you get put into the "program" and get randomly tested.

Cotton

Staff member
I thought it was sort of random. But then once you got tested you knew you wouldn't be tested again until the following year. Unless of course you're in the drug program. You're basically screwed at that point which is why you see so many repeat offenders.
No, they don't test randomly on a "clean" player. There are pre-specified dates, but if you ever hit once, like you say, you are pretty much screwed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, they don't test randomly on a "clean" player. There are pre-specified dates, but if you ever hit once, like you say, you are pretty much screwed.
And I understamd that for performance enhancers. The integrity of the game is very important. You don't want players cheating. But for weed, it's just silly. I wonder how many players smoke their entire career without ever getting in trouble. I'm guessing lots do.

midswat

... soon
I laughed at "the point of weed it to get so high you don't know who or what you are anymore."

:lol :lol :lol

Cotton

Staff member
I laughed at "the point of weed it to get so high you don't know who or what you are anymore."

:lol :lol :lol
Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of that, as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm guessing anybody who actually smokes weed on a regular basis will strongly disagree with you on this. Frankly I don't and even if it's legalized won't, but I don't have any problem with it. And have enough experience around people who do to know this isn't true.
Ditto.

I don't know anyone who has smoked weed and gotten "so high that they don't know who they are."

I mean, that statement is just patently false based on my experience, which again, is through others.

That sounds more like heroin or something, to really lose yourself.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I've gotten really high before...multiple times.

I'm still pretty sure I knew I was an asshole.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I've never touched an illegal drug in my life.

But I'm not a dipshit about it though, so there's that.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I've never touched an illegal drug in my life.

But I'm not a dipshit about it though, so there's that.
Me neither. I don't need to slam my thumb in a car door to know that it would hurt.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Me neither. I don't need to slam my thumb in a car door to know that it would hurt.
I am not a person who has ever used marijuana either but I know plenty of people who have and some who still do; they are not really having any damage to their lives.

What evidence is it that you think you have that would indicate marijuana is more likely to lead to harder drugs than alcohol or cigarettes do, or that it's more harmful by itself than alcohol or cigarettes are?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have lived many years without touching an illegal drug but I have wondered why some folks feel the need to alter their mind. I prefer a clear head.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I drink beer, typically no more than 2 or 3 at a time. Rarely, and I mean once a year or so, would I drink to get drunk. I've only smoked weed twice so I have little to no experience with it. Are there different levels of high? Do you get more high if you smoke to fast? Does the high last longer if you smoker more? I ask because I can drink 2 or 3 beers and be perfectly fine, but can you smoke one blunt and function? I don't know, last time I tried I threw up in someones yard and grabbed a beer....

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You really can't overdose from pot (even if you eat it), but you can get high (think drunk) enough to where you can't function responsibly. The worst that can happen is you get sick and hurl.

It slows you down more than anything, so I don't have any idea how it could be confused with a PED. It numbs your perceptions and helps make long term pain and aches tolerable, but it doesn't block out the acute pain of football related-injuries like Novocain, cocaine, or end workout related burns like steroids can.

Like any drug you can abuse it, but alcohol is much, much worse in every way.

Just isn't worth the time and money spent policing it, in either the NFL or society in general.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have lived many years without touching an illegal drug but I have wondered why some folks feel the need to alter their mind. I prefer a clear head.
So do you not drink or smoke cigarettes? Just curious since both of those alter your mind.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So do you not drink or smoke cigarettes? Just curious since both of those alter your mind.
I neither smoke or drink. Mind you I did both when I was in the military but that went to the shelf when I got out. That was 1961.

Top Bottom