Jerry Jones wants NFL to relax rules against marijuana use

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, if the NFL just quits testing for it there will be a period of time where the media discusses the hell out of it and then it will just fade into the background because it will not be an issue. There won't be anymore NFL players getting suspended for it so the issue of weed in the NFL will not exist unless a player gets arrested for it and it makes news that way.

How many kids are going to start smoking weed because "The NFL doesn't test for it, so I am going to do it"? That is a laughable notion. Kids who are going to smoke weed are going to do it completely independently of any decision the NFL makes regarding their testing policy. It is pervasive in our society, like it or not. I wonder how many of these "WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???!!!" people have teenagers who listen to a lot of hip hop, because there is a shitload of talk about smoking weed. Not blaming hip hop, just using that as an example.
This post reminds me of a debate that happened at Tech about 10 years ago. There was a faction of the student body that wanted to start a "safe ride" service. The service would pick kids up at home and at the bar to get them home safely. One side of the debate had people saying "If you implement this service you are condoning drinking!! ~shakes fist in air~" while the other side of the debate was more like "Dood, they kids are going to drink anyway, we might as well safe for them to do so." Obviously, I'm on the side of making it safe. Matter of fact, I scaled up the program about 3 years ago to encapsulate the entire city.

It was very much like the condom debate in the 80s as far as whether they should be made readily available.

Anyway, CSB, bro.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't know how much to trust these studies but I've certainly seen articles that claim weed use among teenagers in Colorado has actually dropped since legalization. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that is true and frankly you'd probably have no impact among the population and NFL players if they stopped testing for weed in the NFL as well. Players who want to smoke it already do. They just aren't dumb enough to get caught.
I'll go one further and say I would bet alcohol related accidents/arrests have gone down, as well.

Just speaking from personal experience, but when I smoked every day, I never drank a drop of alcohol. It just wasn't needed. And, weed is so much safer than alcohol, I just don't see how it can still be viewed as a bad thing, and demonized the way that it is.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I wish someone could create a GIF of Zeke running the ball with a lit joint in his lips.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't they have relaxed rules about marijuana in the NBA?

Since when are NFL players more influential than NBA players where it comes to cultural impact on youth?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Since when are NFL players more influential than NBA players where it comes to cultural impact?
I'm not sure but I can't recall the last time an NBA player missed a season due to marijuana use. It's stupid and it hurts the NFL's product to do things like that.

And frankly I think the owners know this. They just want to hold it over the players heads so that the players have to take a hit somewhere else in order to get the owners to agree to changing the policy.

Cotton

Staff member
I wish someone could create a GIF of Zeke running the ball with a lit joint in his lips.
I am bored at work. Don't tempt me.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'm glad fictitious 60's TV detective Joe Friday was good enough to stop by and weigh in on this.
"The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent." His dialogue is just as valid today as it was in 1970. That weed is a gateway drug is hardly controversial. The NFL was against Vegas .. until Oakland refused to build a stadium. The NFL was against weed .. until too many important players got suspended. They're not suddenly "enlightened" or "educated" about marijuana; they're just waving the white flag out of naked self-interest.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
"The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent." His dialogue is just as valid today as it was in 1970. That weed is a gateway drug is hardly controversial. The NFL was against Vegas .. until Oakland refused to build a stadium. The NFL was against weed .. until too many important players got suspended. They're not suddenly "enlightened" or "educated" about marijuana; they're just waving the white flag out of naked self-interest.
I do not think the NFL would even be discussing waving the white flag out of naked self-interest if our society wasn't already leading the way. I never heard anything about this being on the table until the people in a number of states decided to decriminalize or legalize marijuana. As a society there is no doubt we are a lot more educated it than in 1970, despite the misinformation the attorney general is attempting to spread about it. That makes is much easier for the NFL to potentially make the decision to stop testing for it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not think the NFL would even be discussing waving the white flag out of naked self-interest if our society wasn't already leading the way. I never heard anything about this being on the table until the people in a number of states decided to decriminalize or legalize marijuana. As a society there is no doubt we are a lot more educated it than in 1970, despite the misinformation the attorney general is attempting to spread about it. That makes is much easier for the NFL to potentially make the decision to stop testing for it.
Weed isn't a new thing. If the NFL wanted to waive the white flag they would have done so 30 years ago. You are exactly right, the NFL will change because the rest of America has changed. It's a legal drug in certain states now. Over half the population agrees with the legalization of weed. This would just be the NFL jumping on the winning side.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Would look better if he didn't have a suspended player.

dallen

Senior Tech

Since when are NFL players more influential than NBA players where it comes to cultural impact on youth?
I don't think they have relaxed rules so much as they only test one time a year and everyone knows when it is, but I could be wrong

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Weed being a gateway drug is certainly controversial.

And what's wrong with naked self-interest? Yes, good players being taken off the field for lengthy periods for what amounts to at worst a misdemeanor is ludicrous and stunningly self-destructive for the league. To what end do they do this?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Pretty sure they don't even test for weed in the NBA anymore.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Weed being a gateway drug is certainly controversial.
right, because 12-year-olds start with the hard stuff.

And what's wrong with naked self-interest? Yes, good players being taken off the field for lengthy periods for what amounts to at worst a misdemeanor is ludicrous and stunningly self-destructive for the league. To what end do they do this?
nothing, so long as you're being up front about it and not hiding behind national polls or legalization campaigns. and you sure as hell better not send players into schools, telling kids to lay off drugs.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
right, because 12-year-olds start with the hard stuff.
Right, because most people who ever tried weed went on to become heroin or crack addicts. :rolleyes: Just about everyone I know tried alcohol before they ever tried weed. Should we start a new alcohol prohibition movement, because that is the biggest gateway drug there is.

nothing, so long as you're being up front about it and not hiding behind national polls or legalization campaigns. and you sure as hell better not send players into schools, telling kids to lay off drugs.
Ridiculous. If the NFL decides to stop testing for weed it would not suddenly make it hypocritical for NFL players to go to schools to discourage kids from the behavior. Not all players smoke weed so those guys doing it would be a reflection of their personal stance. And if they do smoke weed that doesn't mean that they think kids should be smoking it or that they can't deliver the message that kids should stay away from it.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Right because most people who ever tried weed went on to become heroin or crack addicts. :rolleyes: Just about everyone I know tried alcohol before they ever tried weed. Should we start a new alcohol prohibition movement, because that is the biggest gateway drug there is.
With marijuana, the idea is to get so high that you don’t know who or what you are. There is no such thing as a quickie or one to be sociable. You can drink alcohol without getting drunk; you can't smoke weed without getting high.

Ridiculous. If the NFL decides to stop testing for weed it would not suddenly make it hypocritical for NFL players to go to schools to discourage kids from the behavior. Not all players smoke weed so those guys doing it would be a reflection of their personal stance. And if they do smoke weed that doesn't mean that they think kids should be smoking it or that they can't deliver the message that kids should stay away from it.
Why should kids listen to an NFL player's anti-weed speech knowing that his employer allows it? Kinda undercuts the message, no?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With marijuana, the idea is to get so high that you don’t know who or what you are. There is no such thing as a quickie or one to be sociable. You can drink alcohol without getting drunk; you can't smoke weed without getting high.
I'm guessing anybody who actually smokes weed on a regular basis will strongly disagree with you on this. Frankly I don't and even if it's legalized won't, but I don't have any problem with it. And have enough experience around people who do to know this isn't true.

Cotton

Staff member
The only way pot is in any way a gateway drug is because it is around the harder shit. Dealer sells pot, he also sells coke. Guy comes to buy pot, dealer talks him into trying coke.

Make pot legal. The secondary harder drugs are no longer around when you are buying pot. Gateway nonsense goes away.

It's that simple.

Cotton

Staff member

Why should kids listen to an NFL player's anti-weed speech knowing that his employer allows it? Kinda undercuts the message, no?
Spoken like someone who has never smoked pot before. I don't know anyone that has ever smoked a joint with this as their goal. Like no one, ever.

Top Bottom