Jerry Jones wants NFL to relax rules against marijuana use

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jones also wants the league to ease up on investigating off-field conduct.

by Jeanna Thomas@jeannathomas Apr 2, 2017, 4:11pm EDT

Jerry Jones isn’t one to shy away from controversial topics. During an owners-only session at the NFL’s owners’ meetings in Phoenix last week, he said he’d like the league to reconsider its stance on marijuana use by players, and he wishes the NFL would ease up on its approach to investigating off-field incidents.

During the owners-only meeting — which is unusual during this event, but not completely unheard of — Jones addressed the group and said that he wants the league to stop disciplining players who test positive for marijuana, according to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio.

Currently, marijuana is a banned substance under the league’s substance abuse policy in the current collective bargaining agreement. The owners can’t just decide to stop punishing players for marijuana use, and neither can the NFL. Any change to this rule would have to be incorporated into the next collective bargaining agreement.

Three Dallas Cowboys defenders — Rolando McClain, Demarcus Lawrence, and Randy Gregory — faced suspensions for violating the league’s policy on substance abuse last season. Gregory is facing a full year suspension for another violation.

Jones also said he wants the league to ease up its approach to investigating player misconduct off the field. Now, the league investigates players accused of a crime regardless of whether the player faces charges. Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott is still under investigation for domestic violence accusations lobbied against him last year, though law enforcement did not move forward with charges.

A league source indicated to Florio that the NFL is committed “to pursuing investigations that are relevant and meaningful, and that the league office always looks to be efficient when conducting investigations.”

The other topic of conversation was Roger Goodell’s contract, and Jones urged all the owners in the league to be involved in that renegotiation process. The Compensation Committee handles Goodell’s contract, but apparently some owners think Goodell makes too much money, and Jones encouraged everyone to be a part of the process.

If the owners want to make changes for the next iteration of the CBA, this is the time to start the process. The current collective bargaining agreement was established in August 2011, and it will expire in 2020.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I'm guessing this is his last ditch effort to get Gregory back.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I get PED's and think they should be monitored for, but Pot, specifically since it is legal in some states. Makes no sense.

I also heard teh Jerrah is pissed about the disciplinary code and wanting to look at lowering Goodall's compensation. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get PED's and think they should be monitored for, but Pot, specifically since it is legal in some states. Makes no sense.

I also heard teh Jerrah is pissed about the disciplinary code and wanting to look at lowering Goodall's compensation. :lol
All stuff I agree with. I guess Jerry can't always be wrong.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I'm guessing this is his last ditch effort to get Gregory back.
Not just that, but he sees the handwriting on the wall... twenty-six states and the District of Columbia currently have laws broadly legalizing marijuana in some form. Three other states will soon join them after recently passing measures permitting use of medical marijuana. It will not be long before it is not just decriminalized, but made completely legal. The Federal government will not be able to hold up their stance on it very much longer either. At which point, the NFL will be compelled to change its rules... Jones is just trying to get the league to follow the trend and get this issue sorted out before they are forced to.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around

$24,000,000 a year TAX FREE? I would hope so.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Federal government will not be able to hold up their stance on it very much longer either.
Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III tells me that marijuana creates a "life-wrecking dependency" only "slightly less awful" than heroin. This is the attorney general speaking. Good thing he is so well informed (by the movie Reefer Madness, apparently).

It probably is only a matter of time until it is legal on a national scale, but there are people like Sessions who are going to do everything they can to try and stop it.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III tells me that marijuana creates a "life-wrecking dependency" only "slightly less awful" than heroin. This is the attorney general speaking. Good thing he is so well informed (by the movie Reefer Madness, apparently).

It probably is only a matter of time until it is legal on a national scale, but there are people like Sessions who are going to do everything they can to try and stop it.
It is only addictive and a gateway drug to stupid people. To say it is as damaging as heroin is idiotic. But hey, let the gubment protect us from stupid people getting hooked on it. Have a drink to toast their concern whIle you think about it.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jack: Tell me something, Sergeant; what’s your personal opinion of marijuana? We already know your official one.

Joe: Prejudiced.

Jack (smugly): Now why do you say that?

Joe: I see the results–every hour on the hour, ever day. The kids–I’ve seen what it does to them. Every time you pick up a youngster using acid, nine times out of ten he’s holding marijuana. I judge weed by the company it keeps.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Jack: Tell me something, Sergeant; what’s your personal opinion of marijuana? We already know your official one.

Joe: Prejudiced.

Jack (smugly): Now why do you say that?

Joe: I see the results–every hour on the hour, ever day. The kids–I’ve seen what it does to them. Every time you pick up a youngster using acid, nine times out of ten he’s holding marijuana. I judge weed by the company it keeps.

I'm glad fictitious 60's TV detective Joe Friday was good enough to stop by and weigh in on this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad fictitious 60's TV detective Joe Friday was good enough to stop by and weigh in on this.
It's like the epitome of propaganda. Like we see a fake detective but it somehow feels like he must be speaking the truth because TV characters are realistic and stuff.

Just like the radio people who are now pulling a "think of the kids" claim as to why the NFL shouldn't remove it from the banned list. If we were thinking of the kids we would remove everyone with a criminal record from the NFL. We would also ban smoking and drinking as those are bad for people as well. It's not like NFL players are going to be doing pot commercials. The NFL just isn't going to test for it. It would be that simple.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It's like the epitome of propaganda. Like we see a fake detective but it somehow feels like he must be speaking the truth because TV characters are realistic and stuff.

Just like the radio people who are now pulling a "think of the kids" claim as to why the NFL shouldn't remove it from the banned list. If we were thinking of the kids we would remove everyone with a criminal record from the NFL. We would also ban smoking and drinking as those are bad for people as well. It's not like NFL players are going to be doing pot commercials. The NFL just isn't going to test for it. It would be that simple.
Yeah, if the NFL just quits testing for it there will be a period of time where the media discusses the hell out of it and then it will just fade into the background because it will not be an issue. There won't be anymore NFL players getting suspended for it so the issue of weed in the NFL will not exist unless a player gets arrested for it and it makes news that way.

How many kids are going to start smoking weed because "The NFL doesn't test for it, so I am going to do it"? That is a laughable notion. Kids who are going to smoke weed are going to do it completely independently of any decision the NFL makes regarding their testing policy. It is pervasive in our society, like it or not. I wonder how many of these "WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???!!!" people have teenagers who listen to a lot of hip hop, because there is a shitload of talk about smoking weed. Not blaming hip hop, just using that as an example.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, if the NFL just quits testing for it there will be a period of time where the media discusses the hell out of it and then it will just fade into the background because it will not be an issue. There won't be anymore NFL players getting suspended for it so the issue of weed in the NFL will not exist unless a player gets arrested for it and it makes news that way.

How many kids are going to start smoking weed because "The NFL doesn't test for it, so I am going to do it"? That is a laughable notion. Kids who are going to smoke weed are going to do it completely independently of any decision the NFL makes regarding their testing policy. It is pervasive in our society, like it or not. I wonder how many of these "WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???!!!" people have teenagers who listen to a lot of hip hop, because there is a shitload of talk about smoking weed. Not blaming hip hop, just using that as an example.
I don't know how much to trust these studies but I've certainly seen articles that claim weed use among teenagers in Colorado has actually dropped since legalization. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that is true and frankly you'd probably have no impact among the population and NFL players if they stopped testing for weed in the NFL as well. Players who want to smoke it already do. They just aren't dumb enough to get caught.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Did you not watch the video? It clearly stated "marijuana can be easily mistaken for a harmless cigarette". What do you have to say to that?!

Top Bottom