Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Good Riddance.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good luck getting much playing time with Kelce there.

midswat

... soon
I bet he has a career year there. Which, well, really isn't saying much. But yeah, I bet he'll be like fasano and Bennett and turn in a few quality seasons.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wouldn't surprise me if he had a decent engagement with them.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I still remember Jerry being suckered into drafting this guy.

Garrett and crew promising that they'd utilize him and that he wouldn't be another Bennett or Fasano. :lol

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Wouldn't surprise me if he had a decent engagement with them.
Maybe. But I think he'll fall victim to the same thing that happened to him in Dallas.....limited playing time due to being behind a better TE.

Although, I guess you could make the argument that the Chiefs have more of a conservative passing game and that Smith will look to his TEs more frequently.

dallen

Senior Tech
I still remember Jerry being suckered into drafting this guy.

Garrett and crew promising that they'd utilize him and that he wouldn't be another Bennett or Fasano. :lol
Maybe the fourth time will be the charm!

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just have never seen a player who had a 3 game stretch like he did in 2014 and then completely disappear.

Not saying he was a world beater the but he displayed a specific skillset that they featured again after those 3 games.

Would not be surprised if he got 6 to 8 Td's next year in that Andy Reid offense.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
tall, but not particularly fast or strong. watching him sub for Swaim in the Minnesota game was brutal. he's the kind of guy you throw to on 1st and goal at the 1 when the D is expecting the run.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I just have never seen a player who had a 3 game stretch like he did in 2014 and then completely disappear.

Not saying he was a world beater the but he displayed a specific skillset that they featured again after those 3 games.

Would not be surprised if he got 6 to 8 Td's next year in that Andy Reid offense.
I would be considering they have a top 5 TE in the league. Only way he catches that many TD's is if it's some fluke type of season where he catches like 12 passes and half of them are TD's.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't know how good this guy truly is, but I'll never judge a second TE by his inability to perform in Dallas.

We've been shit at getting much from that spot for a long time.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I would be considering they have a top 5 TE in the league. Only way he catches that many TD's is if it's some fluke type of season where he catches like 12 passes and half of them are TD's.
That's what I was leaning toward and you know Kelcie is going to be a focus of the defense.

Jiggyfly

Banned
tall, but not particularly fast or strong. watching him sub for Swaim in the Minnesota game was brutal. he's the kind of guy you throw to on 1st and goal at the 1 when the D is expecting the run.
You know who else was brutal watch at times, Witten.

He is never going to be a great blocker but he can be serviceable which he was as a blocker this last year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
With their selection of San Diego State tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round of the draft last week, the Dallas Cowboys breathed new life into the old belief that the NFL is a copycat league.

The Cowboys want to couple Escobar with Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten to employ a New England Patriots-style offense.

“They're a good role model for us,” owner Jerry Jones said of the Patriots, whose two tight-end sets featuring Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez have sizzled the last three years.

“They've got a quarterback in (Tom) Brady,” Jones added, per DallasCowboys.com. “They've done a good job of having an offensive team, and they've given up a little bit on their defense. They want to score points.”

The thinking in Dallas is clear: Surround franchise quarterback Tony Romo with playmakers, give him better blocking, and let the offense win games.

But before taking Escobar, Jones made sure his coaches were on board with his desire to follow the Patriots' roadmap to becoming an offensive juggernaut.

“Are we all resolved to doing it different relative to injecting that influence in this offense?” Jones said of his conversation with coach Jason Garrett and his offensive assistants. “Don't come in here with the same old same old. ... If we go this route with the tight end, we are going to shake it up around here. It's going to be different.”

How different is yet to be determined, although there has been talk of the Cowboys even using a three tight-end set with Witten, Escobar and second-year pro James Hanna.

“This is a guy who can come in and really make a difference for us at that tight end spot opposite Witten,” Garrett said of Escobar. “We feel Witten is arguably as good a tight end as there is in the NFL. When you add somebody else inside at that position with this guy's length, athleticism and pass-catching ability to go along with our outside receivers, it can be a challenging personnel group for defenses.”

The 6-foot-6, 255-pound Escobar caught 122 passes for 1,646 yards and 17 touchdowns at San Diego State. As a junior in 2012, he had 42 catches for 543 yards and six TDs.

“Catching the ball is my greatest strength,” Escobar said. “I'm very reliable, a big target, lots of red-zone mismatches.”

Garrett exchanged high-fives in the draft room when he realized Escobar was there for the taking.

“We like his length, his athleticism,” Garrett said. “He's a natural pass catcher. He can make plays over his head, and we feel like he has the traits to be a wide tight end at some point.”

But the pick wasn't without its critics. Many view Escobar as more wideout than tight end, and he admitted he needs work as a blocker.

Others point out Dallas has tried this before, picking Anthony Fasano in the second round in 2006 and Texas A&M's Martellus Bennett in the second round in 2008. Neither, though, worked out as a complementary piece to Witten.

“We had packages we worked on for weeks, but he didn't show,” Jones said of Bennett.

But Escobar isn't Bennett. He's eager to learn from Witten and fit in any way he can.

“You couldn't ask for a better place for a rookie tight end to land,” Escobar said. “Just being able to learn from Jason Witten is going to be great. ... It's a huge thing for the offense to have two tight ends that can spread out and be interchangeable.”

Just ask the Patriots.

“They're a team we'll study in the offseason,” Garrett told DallasCowboys.com. “They're a good example for us.”
:tippytoe

p1_

DCC 4Life
I actually thought Swaim acquitted himself very well for a rookie 7th rounder. He got hurt, but he played very well and I think he's got something going on both blocking
and catching. So, F Escobust!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually thought Swaim acquitted himself very well for a rookie 7th rounder. He got hurt, but he played very well and I think he's got something going on both blocking
and catching. So, F Escobust!
Just wait until you see The Rico.

Top Bottom