The Ultimate Jerry Jones Interview

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I grew up in the same time period. That is the standard I want too. But you also have to take in account the NFL has changed. Parity was the goal, and parity has been reached. It's almost like NASCAR, anyone can win any week. Jones has not done a good job adapting, but he has done better over the last 3 years. He is a great owner. He is an innovator on the business end of football and he took the Cowboys out of the dumps and to the Super Bowl in a short period of time. Then the ego...Dave Campo was the low point of this organization. Hopefully, we will keep climbing upwards. Witten deserves a ring. But say anything you want to about Jerry, the man wants to win and will do anything to do so...except fire himself.
Oh Christ. Where to start with this.

Okay first of all, Jimmie Johnson brought us From the depths Of the league To three Super Bowls. Period.

Second, I couldn't care less about the business side of things.That has nothing to do with making him a great owner When it comes to wins and losses.As a fan, why would you care about anything else but winning? That is beyond nonsensical.

Lastly, He will not, I repeat NOT, do anything it takes to win. That is a myth that should have been dispelled 15 years ago.And all you need as proof, Is the fact that he won't get out of the way and hire the best football person he can find to run the team. Which means that, while he might want to win, he will absolutely not do whatever it takes.

Because what it takes, Is someone who knows what they are doing running the football operations. Instead, what he really wants,Is to run the football operations himself.He has said himself, repeatedly, That he Has no interest in owning a football team unless he is running it. Well, That's his priority. Right there. That's what he cares about the most. Not winning.

You know what else he cares more about than winning? Being comfortable. That's why he couldn't wait for an All-timer, Hall of Famer, and Bill Parcells to leave. Because, while Parcells knew what he was doing, he made Jerryy uncomfortable. And we can't have that can we? So ever since then, the only coaches we have gotten, are coaches that Jerry is comfortable with. Not the best candidates.

And hell, the Only reason he hired Parcells in the first place was so that he could sell a new stadium.

As far as Parity is concerned, how is that working out for the Patriots?How's that working out for the Steelers? How is that working out for the Colts?There have been plenty of teams That have Been consistent contenders In the last 20 years. The Ravens are another one. Hell, even the freaking Eagles have been to like five championship games and the Super Bowl in that time span. Not us though. Definitely not us.

But let's pretend aside for a second.Even if you say that The way the league is structured, with free agency In the draft And so forth, That our previous level of dominance is not attainable,As I stated in my previous post, there are three teams in the NFC that have not made the championship game in the last 20 years.Detroit. Washington. And us. That is the company we are keeping. Is that okay with you? Because it's not okay with me. And that's not about even being a consistent contender. That's aboutJust a basic level of competency.Almost all of the conference has figured it out at least once. But not us. Definitely not us.

Jesus, in 2016 I can't believe there is still a Jerry apologist roaming around.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Not Jerry apologist at all. Not dumb enough to think Jimmy was a God either. Just saying the two of those men combined made the Cowboys. It wasn't just one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not Jerry apologist at all. Not dumb enough to think Jimmy was a God either. Just saying the two of those men combined made the Cowboys. It wasn't just one.
Then why hasn't Jerry been able to even get close since?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
One reason may be that he hasn't been able to find another chump GM who would trade half of his picks away to the Cowboys like the Vikings did. Never under estimate how much of an impact that had on the Jones/ Johnson perfect storm.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Jerry's ego dug a pretty big hole. He won one with Barry, but that was left over from Jimmy's time. I have read where several players have said Jimmy's style would not have lasted much longer with veterans. You can scare young players, but vets need different treatment.
Chan, Dave and etc. were busts and Jerry was smoking the crack pipe back then. Parcells was to probably to get the new stadium and we did pretty good in those years. Yet, ego and T.O. probably ended that. I do think we are on the right path. Drafting is better and Jerry is listening to his people. No one man can do it on his own. Jerry has found that out.
BTW, the reason, IMO, that he is keeping with Garrett is Sean Payton. He let him go and regrets it. He gave Garrett the job too soon, but I think he was afraid to let another one go that was capable of creating a winning environment.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Oh Christ. Where to start with this.

Okay first of all, Jimmie Johnson brought us From the depths Of the league To three Super Bowls. Period.

Second, I couldn't care less about the business side of things.That has nothing to do with making him a great owner When it comes to wins and losses.As a fan, why would you care about anything else but winning? That is beyond nonsensical.

Lastly, He will not, I repeat NOT, do anything it takes to win. That is a myth that should have been dispelled 15 years ago.And all you need as proof, Is the fact that he won't get out of the way and hire the best football person he can find to run the team. Which means that, while he might want to win, he will absolutely not do whatever it takes.

Because what it takes, Is someone who knows what they are doing running the football operations. Instead, what he really wants,Is to run the football operations himself.He has said himself, repeatedly, That he Has no interest in owning a football team unless he is running it. Well, That's his priority. Right there. That's what he cares about the most. Not winning.

You know what else he cares more about than winning? Being comfortable. That's why he couldn't wait for an All-timer, Hall of Famer, and Bill Parcells to leave. Because, while Parcells knew what he was doing, he made Jerryy uncomfortable.

Jesus, in 2016 I can't believe there is still a Jerry apologist roaming around.

In other words, Jerry will do whatever it takes to win, as long as it involves him being the GM and making all the decisions.

20 years of mediocrity doesn't lie.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jimmy didn't do it by himself. We had a good scouting dept back then and Jimmy brought in a good staff he relied upon. But Jimmy was the main decision maker when he was here and largely responsible for building the SB teams. Jerry knew less then than he does now which means he knew virtually nothing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Stubbie's holding his own. Love it.
Yes he is. Folks forget that Irvin was in place and Aikman was already earmarked before Johnson was engaged. Couple that with the windfall of the Walker trade to the Vikings and what a difference all this made, a lot of good coaches would have looked great as well. Johnson was a good coach but he had a head start with personnel to burn.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yes he is. Folks forget that Irvin was in place and Aikman was already earmarked before Johnson was engaged. Couple that with the windfall of the Walker trade to the Vikings and what a difference all this made, a lot of good coaches would have looked great as well. Johnson was a good coach but he had a head start with personnel to burn.
You do realize that was Jimmy that did that trade?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The walker trade was Jimmy.

We were going to draft Aikman anyway, yes, but you can't credit the previous regime for something Jimmy literally actually did.

The fact that Irvin was already here doesn't help the case for Jerry (which is what we are talking about).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

We were going to draft Aikman anyway, yes, but you can't credit the previous regime for something Jimmy literally actually did.

The fact that Irvin was already here doesn't help the case for Jerry (which is what we are talking about).
It's crazy how much RBs used to be valued.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You do realize that was Jimmy that did that trade?
It doesn't matter who did the trade. My point is without it the Dallas team would have looked a lot different and my guess is that Johnson's coaching record would have probably looked a lot different. My premise is that the trade was significant to the Super Bowl victories not just the coaching of Johnson.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Wikipedia states Johnson and Jones worked together contacting teams. Johnson had to have the blessing of Jones to do this deal. It's a matter of the factors and people involved to make the team what it was. Aikman and Irvin were significant to the team for years and they were in place or already identified to be Cowboys. Johnson brought in Walsh because he wasn't sold on Aikman. It wasn't solely Johnson who formed the outcome of this group.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't matter who did the trade. My point is without it the Dallas team would have looked a lot different and my guess is that Johnson's coaching record would have probably looked a lot different. My premise is that the trade was significant to the Super Bowl victories not just the coaching of Johnson.
The funny part is Jimmy was originally looking to trade Irvin. What the trade ultimately proves in my opinion is that the draft is a crapshoot. If you want to draft better then other teams you need to have more picks then other teams. Jimmy had plenty of misses in the draft but when you have more draft picks, none of that matters.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's crazy how much RBs used to be valued.
Eric Dickerson and Herschel Walker were generational talents, and I don't think we've seen the like in the NFL since outside of Bo Jackson.

Herschel and Bo had world class speed, and Dickerson was barely a half-step behind.

But when the Cowboys won all those Superbowls after the Walker trade, no one was going to be taken for multiple draft picks like that ever again.

So the compensation dropped, but so has the talent level. Even Barry Sanders couldn't break Eric Dickerson's rushing record, and no one could have gained 1500+ yards on those shit awful Cowboys teams in the late 80's like Herschel did.

Marshall Faulk was the next closest in talent to be traded, and he was traded for a 2nd round pick because at the time Edgerrin James and Ricky Williams were going to be available in the draft as replacements and Faulk hadn't exactly been great as a Colt either.

Trent Richardson was traded for a 1st round pick, and he sucked.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You can't factor that in without giving Jimmy the credit for doing It. He pulled the trigger when to everybody thought he was crazy for doing and that included the owner.

Top Bottom