Darren Woodson on Byron Jones.

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/02/22/darren-woodson-talks-texas-sports-hof-byron-jones-cowboys-defensive-mvp-best-super-bowl-memory

On whether Byron Jones should move to corner: "No. To me, he's the MVP of the defense. I know Sean Lee gets a lot of credit, but you're asking Byron Jones to play three different positions. He's playing the safety spot. When Orlando Scandrick goes down, he's coming in to the nickel. He's covering the slot receiver. Sometimes he's coming in to play corner. He covers the tight end on matchups. He does everything for that team. I can't tell you how hard that is. I know personally how hard that is, because I played the safety position, corner, slot, the linebacker as well. It's a hard transition to go from one hat to the next in the same game. You really have to be mentally checked in. Byron Jones is in his second year, and you're asking him to do a lot. To me he's the MVP of that defense.

"Great kid, wants to be better, asks a lot of questions about how he can get better. Tremendous athlete. I tell him, at some point you have to put some weight on. He's just one of the great athletes in the NFL, and he doesn't get a lot of credit for what he can do.

"The offenses spread you out, your safety has to cover. Look at the Super Bowl champs. What do they do? They get you in open spread situations, and if you can't cover, they're gonna find your weakest link."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can accept that endorsement as being one of the most valid assessments of Jones thus far. It is good enough for me with or without an interception count.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If true, perhaps Jones needs to be asked to do a little less and others asked to do a little more occasionally. Maybe that would help.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jared Cook does not concur with this assessment.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Are we watching the same player? Reminds me of when Staubach never had a bad thing to say about Henson, Hutchinson, Quincy, Tony, etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If true, perhaps Jones needs to be asked to do a little less and others asked to do a little more occasionally. Maybe that would help.
Yeah I wonder what he would do if we allowed him to play more of a pure safety role. Allow him to be the deep safety sometimes with his speed and leaping ability.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Are we watching the same player? Reminds me of when Staubach never had a bad thing to say about Henson, Hutchinson, Quincy, Tony, etc.
Same thing I thought. I know I'm not a professional and that I'm probably missing a lot of the nuances of the game, but "MVP of the Defense" never once crossed my mind why watching Byron Jones play.

He's a solid player but after 2 years I don't see anything special about him.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yeah I wonder what he would do if we allowed him to play more of a pure safety role. Allow him to be the deep safety sometimes with his speed and leaping ability.
He'd probably be better if they did something like that with him. I don't get too caught up in a player's speed and athletic ability. I'm more interested in a player's football instincts and intelligence. So far Jones has underwhelmed in those areas.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Same thing I thought. I know I'm not a professional and that I'm probably missing a lot of the nuances of the game, but "MVP of the Defense" never once crossed my mind why watching Byron Jones play.

He's a solid player but after 2 years I don't see anything special about him.
Well Woodson was self aggrandizing some.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
he'll always have the long jump to fall back on

2233boys

Not So New Member
Did Henson or Hutchinson really play that much for him to be able to form an opinion. I recall them playing very little. Maybe I blocked it from my memory.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did Henson or Hutchinson really play that much for him to be able to form an opinion. I recall them playing very little. Maybe I blocked it from my memory.
Yeah I don't remember any of this. Of course Staubach doesn't seem to get much press period so I'm not sure where all these examples would come from.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Byron Jones is a good player, but he's nothing special.....certainly not special enough to be considered the "MVP" of the defense.

Not even close.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Landon Collins was awesome last year. Moving on...
You know how much better this defense would've been last year had we got a Landon Collins type year from Jones?

One year or not, it's still one year more of excellent play than we've seen from Byron Jones.

Top Bottom