DMN: Barry Church - I'd be lying if I said Stephen Jones' recent comments didn't bother me

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Barry Church: I'd be lying if I said Stephen Jones' recent comments didn't bother me
By SportsDayDFW.com

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones has assured fans that there is, indeed, "a little bit of method to the madness" when it comes to the club's approach to turnover this offseason.

And the following quote from Jones, it seems, has become one of the more noteworthy aspects:

"Players we want to keep, we keep them. Most of these players, I'm not going to single out guys, but most of them we were ready to let move on."

Though not referred to by name, former Cowboys safety Barry Church admitted to being bothered a bit by some of Jones' comments when asked about them Tuesday.

"I'd be lying if I sat there and said, like, 'Nah, that didn't bother me at all,'" Church said on the Dennis & Cowlishaw show [KESN-FM 103.3], "but it's a part of the game. It's a part of the business of the NFL. You gotta know that you can't really take much of it personal, even though, for a second there I kind of felt like it was a jab, but, hey, they gotta do what they gotta do. It's their organization. You feel like they're making the best decision to go forward, and hey, I can't do anything about it now, so best of luck to them."

In total, the Cowboys have lost 10 players in free agency -- seven on the defensive side of the ball.

Church was one of four defensive backs to leave Dallas. An undrafted free agent in 2010 who had spent his entire career as a Cowboy, Church signed a four-year, $26 million deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Jones also said the following on Sunday:

"Now, there were a few if they would have been for the right price, we would have done it. But we certainly didn't want to get into overpaying for anybody."

Church and the three other defensive backs who departed -- cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne and safety J.J. Wilcox -- formed what was essentially the Cowboys' starting secondary in 2015. Church started 15 games, Carr started all 16, Claiborne 11 and Wilcox 13.

And though all four entered this offseason as unrestricted free agents, Church didn't think they all would be joining new clubs for the 2017 season.

"Aw, man, I did not think that was coming at all," he said. "Maybe one, or two of us, but I didn't think a full, clean sweep. But they've got a lot of young talent down there. They got Byron Jones, they got Jeff Heath coming off of a great playoff game, so they got a lot of talent to play with around there and I hope the best for them."

Church also said he feels the Cowboys' defense won't have any problems adjusting to their free-agent losses, in part because coordinator Rod Marinelli (who has been signed to an extension) is a great coach and "awesome motivator of men."

The Cowboys have offset key defensive losses with veteran signings in cornerback Nolan Carroll and defensive tackle Stephen Paea, in addition to taking a flier on defensive end Damontre Moore.

Meanwhile, Church looks forward to an opportunity in Jacksonville that excites him.

The Jaguars have been big spenders this offseason, adding, in addition to Church, high-profile names like defensive lineman Calais Campbell and cornerback A.J. Bouye.

Campbell, a second-team All-Pro last season, and Bouye, one of Pro Football Focus' top breakout players of 2016, join a unit that already features young standouts in edge rusher Dante Fowler Jr. and cornerback Jalen Ramsey, and another big-money player in defensive lineman Malik Jackson.

"Well, on paper it seems like we can be a pretty good defense," Church said. "I believe they were sixth in the league last year, but the game isn't played on paper, so we're definitely gonna have to put the work in and develop a chemistry to get things rolling. But as far as potential, I mean, the sky's the limit. They got a lot of young talent out there, so I'm excited about the opportunity."

Could Church return to Dallas one day?

"My house is here, everything's here, so I'll be in Dallas once my career is said and done in Jacksonville," he said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feh. He of all of them would have been resigned if the price was cheap enough. Good for him that he got his money, otherwise WGAS.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Feh. He of all of them would have been resigned if the price was cheap enough. Good for him that he got his money, otherwise WGAS.
I think his response was pretty classy though. Good player. Never caused issues.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
If you go to work for the competition don't expect your old boss to kiss your ass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mediocre player who was led to believe he was better than that because of a lack of talent on our defense. He may have been a defensive leader but it wasn't because he played like one on the field.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Mediocre player who was led to believe he was better than that because of a lack of talent on our defense. He may have been a defensive leader but it wasn't because he played like one on the field.
Yep. And obviously its simply about the dollars which I have no problem with.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He was a better than average starter and was a playmaker at times. He also was an undrafted free agent who worked his ass off to become a starter and now he's set for life as long as he is wise with his money. I respect that. Of our free agents in the secondary, he was the guy we should have kept.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was a better than average starter and was a playmaker at times. He also was an undrafted free agent who worked his ass off to become a starter and now he's set for life as long as he is wise with his money. I respect that. Of our free agents in the secondary, he was the guy we should have kept.
I wouldn't call him a play maker. That isn't to say he didn't have a nice play here or there but he had his fair share of really bad plays to balance those out. He was excellent for an UDFA though. But ultimately he was a very limited player and someone who you should always be looking to improve upon and not lock up long term. And because he was viewed as a defensive "leader" he was never going to hit the bench while still in Dallas. So I'm glad we moved on.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't call him a play maker. That isn't to say he didn't have a nice play here or there but he had his fair share of really bad plays to balance those out. He was excellent for an UDFA though. But ultimately he was a very limited player and someone who you should always be looking to improve upon and not lock up long term. And because he was viewed as a defensive "leader" he was never going to hit the bench while still in Dallas. So I'm glad we moved on.
You guys comments are not in keeping with league-wide evaluations of the player.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You guys comments are not in keeping with league-wide evaluations of the player.
You've got league wide evals for Church? Where are they? I'd like to see them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think last year was probably the best year of his career. ProFootballFocus ranked him as the 48th best safety in the NFL in 2015. And most of that is actually for his run stopping ability. Which in my opinion is sort of where Church has been most of his career. Makes him a below average starting safety but not god awful either. Certainly someone you'd prefer to upgrade.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I think last year was probably the best year of his career. ProFootballFocus ranked him as the 48th best safety in the NFL in 2015. And most of that is actually for his run stopping ability. Which in my opinion is sort of where Church has been most of his career. Makes him a below average starting safety but not god awful either. Certainly someone you'd prefer to upgrade.
Similar to when we lost Bruce Carter - the polish on this turd will come off real quick in Jax

Top Bottom