Career change old person style

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm thinking pretty seriously about making a big change in my life. After the 18 months I have had it has caused me to evaluate my life. I've spent about 500 hours doing research on cancer, health, toxins, nutrition and related topics. Mainly in an effort to get my wife healthy and figure out what these damn doctors were doing to her and why. I've become very interested integrative medicine as a practice. I'm all but certainly going to pursue a PA program in integrative medicine.

One of the entrance requirements is to have some sort of clinical background so I'm going to school to be a paramedic first to see how it goes. That will be the ultimate test to see if in cut out for this.

This will be a total change for me in life in a big way. I'm not that young, so it will be challenging. With experience owning a business I feel like I have an edge in that aspect.

Has anyone else made a career change that was way different than what you did before?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm thinking pretty seriously about making a big change in my life. After the 18 months I have had it has caused me to evaluate my life. I've spent about 500 hours doing research on cancer, health, toxins, nutrition and related topics. Mainly in an effort to get my wife healthy and figure out what these damn doctors were doing to her and why. I've become very interested integrative medicine as a practice. I'm all but certainly going to pursue a PA program in integrative medicine.

One of the entrance requirements is to have some sort of clinical background so I'm going to school to be a paramedic first to see how it goes. That will be the ultimate test to see if in cut out for this.

This will be a total change for me in life in a big way. I'm not that young, so it will be challenging. With experience owning a business I feel like I have an edge in that aspect.

Has anyone else made a career change that was way different than what you did before?
Yes I went from a career as a Banker and Bank management of several years to a Federal job of investigating Bank and S&L failures. I was 48 when I made the change. It lasted me until I retired in 2000. It was a job I loved and left only because of a commitment to retire after a couple of heart attacks. Changing careers can give you a renewed zeal.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yes I went from a career as a Banker and Bank management of several years to a Federal job of investigating Bank and S&L failures. I was 48 when I made the change. It lasted me until I retired in 2000. It was a job I loved and left only because of a commitment to retire after a couple of heart attacks. Changing careers can give you a renewed zeal.
I'm just tired of what I'm doing. I could have built a much larger business but I chose to also have a variety of other interests and stay close to my kids. Coaching, church things, continued education, which has been a lifelong passion and other things. I haven't been completely happy with what I have been doing for a while, honestly. I'm trying to figure out what would bring me the most fulfillment and drive for the second half of my life.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm just tired of what I'm doing. I could have built a much larger business but I chose to also have a variety of other interests and stay close to my kids. Coaching, church things, continued education, which has been a lifelong passion and other things. I haven't been completely happy with what I have been doing for a while, honestly. I'm trying to figure out what would bring me the most fulfillment and drive for the second half of my life.
I applaud this, if you find that which fullfills you go for it.

2233boys

Not So New Member

I changed jobs at 43 moving up in my industry to a less secure job because of the prestige and money, but what you are doing is far more courageous because I was at least doing something similar. Proud of you, and good luck. I'm sure you will do great.

Skid's bedside manner is likely awesome. :towel

Jiggyfly

Banned

I have made several career changes not all of my own volition.:lol

But its funny that you mentioned this, when I had my heart scare I talked to a lot of the technicians and realized how interesting a job that could be and if I was younger I might have given the field stronger look.

If you have the means and the interest I say go for it but from what I was hearing some of the schools to be a accredited as a PA can be hard to get into and jobs are not as readily available as you would think.

I would do some research on the schools and the job market before going all out.

As a newbie you most likely would have to go where the jobs are.

Good Luck.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
[MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION]e. Most PA degrees require some medical training or study. Without it the road can be tough.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
[MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION]e. Most PA degrees require some medical training or study. Without it the road can be tough.
I don't guess I follow what you are saying here.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have made several career changes not all of my own volition.:lol

But its funny that you mentioned this, when I had my heart scare I talked to a lot of the technicians and realized how interesting a job that could be and if I was younger I might have given the field stronger look.

If you have the means and the interest I say go for it but from what I was hearing some of the schools to be a accredited as a PA can be hard to get into and jobs are not as readily available as you would think.

I would do some research on the schools and the job market before going all out.

As a newbie you most likely would have to go where the jobs are.

Good Luck.
I've actually put a ton of consideration into it. I have a friend that is an orthopedic surgeon that has met with me about this. I coached his son at the private school, he has done surgery on me and his wife happens to have been battling breast cancer for year, so we have a ton in common. Anyway, he has been very helpful in this area as someone who employs several PAs in his practice. I've been researching this off and on for years but never really had the umph to make a go at it. I'm not to concerned about getting into a school. I have most of the education and a high GPA. I've interviewed several schools already and have done my due diligence. Now it is just a matter of taking an hibest swing at this thing. I'm about 18 months away from even applying at this point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I've actually put a ton of consideration into it. I have a friend that is an orthopedic surgeon that has met with me about this. I coached his son at the private school, he has done surgery on me and his wife happens to have been battling breast cancer for year, so we have a ton in common. Anyway, he has been very helpful in this area as someone who employs several PAs in his practice. I've been researching this off and on for years but never really had the umph to make a go at it. I'm not to concerned about getting into a school. I have most of the education and a high GPA. I've interviewed several schools already and have done my due diligence. Now it is just a matter of taking an hibest swing at this thing. I'm about 18 months away from even applying at this point.
Cool.

Sounds like you have done the research and all you can do is go in with your eyes wide open.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Most PAs have a medical background or have medical educations. If there none it may entail a lot of schooling toget the training or education to apply for PA credentials.

http://www.learnhowtobecome.org/physician-assistant/
Many of the PA programs have clinical requirements to apply, that's why I'm studying to be a paramedic. Most PAs do not have a medical background, that is what PA school is for.

The typical path is get a bachelor's degree (check), take the prerequisite science with a high GPA (mostly check), get some clinical experience (working on it), shadow some PAs in my area (check). Also, spend a ton of time here learning from other students, which I have done - http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Many of the PA programs have clinical requirements to apply, that's why I'm studying to be a paramedic. Most PAs do not have a medical background, that is what PA school is for.
A lot of RNs become PAs as well as OTs and PTs.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
A lot of RNs become PAs as well as OTs and PTs.
There is actually a pretty huge debate/rivalry between nurses and PAs. PAs have more of a medical school type training where nurses have direct patient care. This has caused a lot of the I'm-better-than-you infighting. It is pretty funny actually.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I started my first course yesterday and blew through two chapters. Yesss!!!

fgfp

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I have 4 years 8 months of police work left and I'll b 58 looking for something new to do. Not quite a daring as what you're doing as I will have retirement and other moneys I've put away and invested. But even that is scary looking at leaving something I will have done for 30 years. You my friend are gutsy and I wish you the best and will pray for your success!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have 4 years 8 months of police work left and I'll b 58 looking for something new to do. Not quite a daring as what you're doing as I will have retirement and other moneys I've put away and invested. But even that is scary looking at leaving something I will have done for 30 years. You my friend are gutsy and I wish you the best and will pray for your success!
I changed careers when I was almost 50. It's scary. The real scary part was pulling the plug to retire. I wasn't sure I could do it but it didn't take long to make the adjustment.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I knew there had to be old people that could relate somehow.

Top Bottom