User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Connor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather set for Aug 26

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Unless there is some shady shit going on, I can't imagine McGregor makes it to round 2.
    Yeah the only reason it may go longer is because Mayweather isn't a slugger. So its not normal for him to come out and just knock a guy out right away. He is a very patient boxer who just racks up hits. So McGregor may last some rounds in a lopsided loss.

Wonder how hard it's going to be for Conner to not try and kick him. Would think that would easy to do in the moment without realizing it.
    #Fire Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Yeah the only reason it may go longer is because Mayweather isn't a slugger. So its not normal for him to come out and just knock a guy out right away. He is a very patient boxer who just racks up hits. So McGregor may last some rounds in a lopsided loss.
    I'll quit harping on this point I promise but it is not normal for Mayweather to come out and just knock out top pro boxers in his weight class. I'm sure he'll be his usual patient self because the last thing he wants to do is by chance run into a McGregor left hand and shockingly lose, but I have a feeling in this fight he will have much earlier opportunities than usual to put his opponent away.
    Last edited by E_D_Guapo; 06-15-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Unless there is some shady shit going on, I can't imagine McGregor makes it to round 2.
    Huh?

There is ZERO chance that Mayweather knocks him out or even beats him up, for that matter.

This will be a lopsided fight, but only in terms of class and skill. I expect Floyd to win all 12 rounds, but what he will not do is beat McGregor up or knock him out.

He'll run circles around him with a straight right here and there just like he does with everyone else.
    2013 DCC Fantasy Football Champeen

As for the fight itself, I'm intrigued by the spectacle of it all, but I expect it to be a boring and lopsided affair and it wouldn't surprise me if Mayweather won all 12 rounds.

McGregor has next to no chance to win this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ace View Post
    There is ZERO chance that Mayweather knocks him out or even beats him up, for that matter.

Zero chance, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by E_D_Guapo View Post
    I'll quit harping on this point I promise but it is not normal for Mayweather to come out and just knock out top pro boxers in his weight class. I'm sure he'll be his usual patient self because the last thing he wants to do is by chance run into a McGregor left hand and shockingly lose, but I have a feeling in this fight he will have much earlier opportunities than usual to put his opponent away.
    Mayweather beats the best of the best boxers with his strategy. I think it would be extremely foolish for him to deviate from what he does best. And frankly what he does best is dance around and lands a lot of punches that don't do a lot of damage. I think he will do exactly that against McGregor. Which will probably make for an extremely boring and long fight.

And if I'm McGregor I'd go in there knowing you have to knock him out. You're not going to win standing up and boxing round for round. So you have to go in with the mentality that you're going to take some hits but you need to swing as hard as you can and hope to land a big punch that does a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Mayweather beats the best of the best boxers with his strategy. I think it would be extremely foolish for him to deviate from what he does best. And frankly what he does best is dance around and lands a lot of punches that don't do a lot of damage. I think he will do exactly that against McGregor. Which will probably make for an extremely boring and long fight.

And if I'm McGregor I'd go in there knowing you have to knock him out. You're not going to win standing up and boxing round for round. So you have to go in with the mentality that you're going to take some hits but you need to swing as hard as you can and hope to land a big punch that does a lot of damage.
    I hear you. I am simply stating that he probably will not have to deviate from his strategy to knock McGregor out. The opportunity may very well present itself in the natural course of the fight because McGregor is not remotely in the same class of boxer as the guys Mayweather has fought before.

I mean, it could play out exactly like you and Ace are suggesting...a lopsided decision where Mayweather wins every round. But you guys are basing that on Mayweather's history against pro boxers. Is McGregor even a better boxer than the guys Mayweather uses as sparring partners? He might be, he might not be.

My outlook is that you can't predict the outcome based on Mayweather's history of fights against a number of legit opponents because I do not believe McGregor falls into that category. Apples to oranges in a way. Throw out the "well he doesn't knock most guys out because of his style" because McGregor in his lack of boxing experience/efforts to knock Mayweather out may very well leave himself open to getting hit with a flurry of punches that puts him on the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by E_D_Guapo View Post

Zero chance, huh?
    It's just not his style, especially in the latter part of his career.

Even when he has someone completely outclassed, he just doesn't go in for the kill or throw a lot of punches. No matter who he fights, he sticks to his gameplan of throw one singular straight right hand when he sees an opening or as a counter punch, then continue to move around the ring.

Go back and look at his last 8 fights or so and look at the post-fight pics of his opponent. See if you can find one that would indicate that they had a rough night.

Mayweather wins by giving the opponent nothing to hit and by beating them to the punch with excellent speed and accuracy. This then leads to his opponent getting immensely frustrated and the amount of punches they throw drastically decreases as the fight goes on.

But beat people up? Nah. Even Andre Berto who is a total bum now took him 12 rounds.

Floyd will win all 12 rounds, but he's not going to knock McGregor out.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ace View Post
    It's just not his style, especially in the latter part of his career.

Even when he has someone completely outclassed, he just doesn't go in for the kill or throw a lot of punches. No matter who he fights, he sticks to his gameplan of throw one singular straight right hand when he sees an opening or as a counter punch, then continue to move around the ring.

Go back and look at his last 8 fights or so and look at the post-fight pics of his opponent. See if you can find one that would indicate that they had a rough night.

Mayweather wins by giving the opponent nothing to hit and by beating them to the punch with excellent speed and accuracy. This then leads to his opponent getting immensely frustrated and the amount of punches they throw drastically decreases as the fight goes on.

But beat people up? Nah. Even Andre Berto who is a total bum now took him 12 rounds.

Floyd will win all 12 rounds, but he's not going to knock McGregor out.
    See my above reply to CRock. That is how I see it. You may end up being right about the result but IMO it is a flawed mindset to compare this fight to any other professional fight he has ever had.