Hill: Linehan and Marinelli Extended

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't understand the Marinelli hate.

There simply aren't any DC's out there that could motivate and scheme these bunch of JAGs into a better defense than he has.
Agree. I don't think he's on a Dick Lebeau or Wade Phillips level, but he's very good.

Where does this narrative that he doesn't want good players come from? He can't help it if Jerry and Co always want to go offense to be Romo Friendly or sell tickets or whatever.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Welcome to every defensive coordinator.
True, but it's even more imperative with Marinelli's, though. His DBs, DEs, and interior line have to fit his scheme.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, but it's even more imperative with Marinelli's, though. His DBs, DEs, and interior line have to fit his scheme.
I don't know about DEs or DBs.

This defense is most particular about DTs and LBers. He wants DTs that can get upfield and disrupt the QB and he wants LBers who can fly.

The DEs are no different then any other 4-3 DE. He wants guys who can rush the passer and stop the run.

But every defensive coordinator has certain types of players he wants. Just like the SeaHawks are very particular about their DBs.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Agree. I don't think he's on a Dick Lebeau or Wade Phillips level, but he's very good.

Where does this narrative that he doesn't want good players come from? He can't help it if Jerry and Co always want to go offense to be Romo Friendly or sell tickets or whatever.
Booze.:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah that's just stupid. Marinelli just doesn't have the personality to jump up and down and beg for something the way that Garrett would for a second TE. Marinelli just basically takes what he is given and does the best with it he can.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But every defensive coordinator has certain types of players he wants. Just like the SeaHawks are very particular about their DBs.
It's hard to see most DB's plugging into the Legion of Boom profile.

It's great if you can hit the jackpot in the 5th and 6th rounds like Seattle did with Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor, but I feel it's a mistake to force the same style of defense onto whomever they bring in to replace them.

I'm a big believer in talent driving the model and not the other way around.

The Patriots have successfully morphed their teams over the years to fit their emerging talent. I really respect that.

If your defense only works with some precise combination of roles and body types, I guarantee the better OC's in the league will beat it routinely.

Top Bottom