Hill: Linehan and Marinelli Extended

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good, especially with Linehan. We can all bitch often about the play calling on offense but the truth of the matter is what he was able to do with a rookie QB and a rookie RB is nothing short of spectacular. And frankly at times his play calling is pure brilliance. It's easy to pick apart the bad play calls with hindsight but I personally want him around as long as possible to continue working with Dak.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I really don't like extending Old Man Marinelli.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Glad that we got Linehan extended. At least we have him through 2019 now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Cowboys have signed coordinators Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli and Rich Bisaccia to extensions, according to multiple sources. The Cowboys did not want their coaches to go into 2017 into a lame-duck situation.
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
Bisaccia too. Well, the whole gang is here to stay.

And why exactly are they afraid of them having "lame duck" status for?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
At Marinell's age he needs all the help extending he can get.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Ugh. Linehan extension is awesome, we didn't need interruption in what ended up being a nice chemistry between him and Dak.

Marinelli??

:picard

Marinelli does a great job considering what there is on defense. They play hard, they are just not very good. It's not his fault Jerry and RHG don't want to spend picks on defense.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ugh. Linehan extension is awesome, we didn't need interruption in what ended up being a nice chemistry between him and Dak.

Marinelli??

:picard
IMO, Marinelli gets shit on far more than he deserves. Hell, people have been predicting that we would have all time bad defenses the last two years. Then both years, the defense has played decent. Championship defense? No. But far from what people have thought. So what is the reason for that? The shit we have trotted out there or the coaching? I'd like to see what Marinelli could do if we actually gave him some good players to use. He's had Sean Lee and... Who? I can't think of anybody else that hasn't been labeled as anywhere from JAG status to downright shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
IMO, Marinelli gets shit on far more than he deserves. Hell, people have been predicting that we would have all time bad defenses the last two years. Then both years, the defense has played decent. Championship defense? No. But far from what people have thought. So what is the reason for that? The shit we have trotted out there or the coaching? I'd like to see what Marinelli could do if we actually gave him some good players to use. He's had Sean Lee and... Who? I can't think of anybody else that hasn't been labeled as anywhere from JAG status to downright shit.
And he has had a part in the talent. Either it is arrogance or a desire for excuse driven job security, but he has made a living coaching up that crap. There is no reason he should not have been screaming bloody murder for more talent. Instead he prides himself on getting overachievers.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Totally agree. Never understood that, either.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And he has had a part in the talent. Either it is arrogance or a desire for excuse driven job security, but he has made a living coaching up that crap. There is no reason he should not have been screaming bloody murder for more talent. Instead he prides himself on getting overachievers.
You have no idea what he wants or doesn't want when they're putting their draft board together, but ok.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never heard Marinelli make an excuse for his units performance. I think it's shit to claim he prefers not to have talent because it provides some sort of job protection. It's a baseless claim.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You have no idea what he wants or doesn't want when they're putting their draft board together, but ok.
So he had no part in the Sharif Floyd fuck up? And rationalizing his lack of quick twitch and the meeting room was too full anyways? Alrighty then. This is a guy who fought to have a turd like Nick Hayden start on his defense for three years. He is not Rob Ryan dogshit bad, but this idea that the organization (and probably him too) that think he can coach anything up has hurt.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've never heard Marinelli make an excuse for his units performance. I think it's shit to claim he prefers not to have talent because it provides some sort of job protection. It's a baseless claim.
Pretty much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So he had no part in the Sharif Floyd fuck up? And rationalizing his lack of quick twitch and the meeting room was too full anyways?
Is Floyd really that good of an example? He has kind of been mediocre at best in the NFL. Certainly not something to spend a first round pick on.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Is Floyd really that good of an example? He has kind of been mediocre at best in the NFL. Certainly not something to spend a first round pick on.
Yeah, we trade away from a guy who has been average at best down to an all pro center and our #2 WR. Quite the fuck up.

dallen

Senior Tech
He kind of reminds me of they way Marty Schottenheimer could get any team to the playoffs but never any further. Give Marinelli a bunch of JAGs and he'll find a way to get a mid-league performance out of them. Give him a bunch of Pro Bowlers and he would probably also find a way to get a mid-league performance out of them. As long as our offense is dominant it might be enough, but it will always be frustrating.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He kind of reminds me of they way Marty Schottenheimer could get any team to the playoffs but never any further. Give Marinelli a bunch of JAGs and he'll find a way to get a mid-league performance out of them. Give him a bunch of Pro Bowlers and he would probably also find a way to get a mid-league performance out of them. As long as our offense is dominant it might be enough, but it will always be frustrating.
He had some pretty awesome defenses with the Bears. Hell his defense one year led the NFL in takeaways and interceptions. I'd say that 2012 Bears defense was pretty awesome. Of course that year he had Julius Peppers getting him double digit sacks. Of course he had Charles Tillman back then causing a ridiculous amount of fumbles. He had Tim Jennings snagging like 9 INTs.

Oddly enough, Stephen Paea was the starting NT on that defense...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We don't have any idea about a lot of things but it's a concept that Nick Eatman seems to put some credence in.

Not saying that's the be-all, end-all, but it's not like we just completely fabricated it to shit all over Marinelli.

Top Bottom