National writer: Cowboys will feel impact of passing on Jalen Ramsey with no Carr, Claiborne

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
National writer: Cowboys will feel impact of passing on Jalen Ramsey with no Carr, Claiborne

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter: @SportsDayDFW

Yes, the Cowboys will field a secondary next season, but gone are several familiar faces in Barry Church, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne and J.J. Wilcox.

And while Dallas has made some additions to its defense in free agency, it's not hard to think of what struggles could lie ahead -- at least for the secondary -- while NFC East rivals stock up on wide receiver help.

Could the Cowboys have better prepared themselves for this mass exodus of defensive backs? Maybe. One line of thought this offseason did center on them being able to re-sign Carr or Claiborne, which never materialized.

Though there was no telling how 2017 free agency would unfold back in March of last year, CBSSports.com columnist Pete Prisco believes passing on Jalen Ramsey with the fourth overall pick of the 2016 draft is a decision that will impact the Cowboys in the near future now that Carr and Claiborne are gone.

In drafting running back Ezekiel Elliott -- who, don't you forget, led the league in rushing as a rookie -- the Cowboys went against conventional wisdom.
Many agreed Dallas would eventually regret passing on Ramsey.

A team with the No. 4 pick in the first round doesn't squander that selection on a running back in today's NFL, especially when that team has crying needs on the defensive side of the ball like Dallas did last year (and still does).

Ramsey, the defensive back out of Florida State who wound up going to Jacksonville at No. 5, made the Pro Football Writers Association's 2016 All-Rookie team after starting 16 games at corner for the Jaguars.

Ramsey came away with two interceptions, returning one of them for a touchdown. He also knocked down 14 passes, forced a fumble and had 65 tackles.
Elliott was PFWA's Rookie of the Year after rushing for 1,631 yards and 16 touchdowns (350 total touches).

And as SportsDay's David Moore wrote in January, a defensive player, no matter how talented, can't insert himself into the game to that extent.

Sure, productive running backs can be found later in the draft (see: Chicago's Jordan Howard), but the Cowboys saw more than just a good back in Elliott.
"Is he a once-in-10-years kind of back?" owner Jerry Jones asked. "Well, the guy that was taken the year before from Georgia [Todd Gurley] had the speed aspect of it but didn't have the away from the ball. Not to take anything away from him but didn't have the away from the ball. Yes, this guy could be once in 10 years.

"That type of dialogue went on, and we got satisfied that he was worth that pick."

Back to that defense: At cornerback, Dallas returns veteran Orlando Scandrick and rookie Anthony Brown, who didn't have a chance to ease into anything last year because of injuries to others and mostly thrived anyway. Carroll, who signed a three-year, $10 million deal, performed solidly for the Philadelphia Eagles last season, with 55 tackles, one interception and 11 pass breakups.

But Dallas still needs to add bodies at corner. Will the team's first pick in this year's draft address the position? Follow draft experts' predictions here.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You can say that anybody that loses some players. Idiotic thinking.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You can say that anybody that loses some players. Idiotic thinking.
TBH, I think we will feel the positive impact of taking Zeke way more than we will feel any impact of passing on Ramsey.

midswat

... soon
I went back and forth on this pick a lot as I loved Elliott the player, but I also loved the signing of Alfred Morris, loved the UDFA guy we cut that went to Cleveland, and subscribed to the 'anyone can run behind this line.' That said, Elliott was far and away the best back in the league last year, he had countless big plays, and his impact in winning games far exceeded Jalen Ramseys impact.

The national writer who suggested we'd rue this move, Pete Prisco, is a whiney shit talker on twitter. If you follow him, you know all he does is bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch and question everything.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:jerk

Frankly I think Nolan Carroll replaces him at a similar level with more big plays.

data

Forbes #1
If anything, we screwed up with the Jaylon Smith pick. If I'm Prisci, 2nd round should've been the CB. How can anyone criticize the Elliott pick?

Did Ramsey do anything spectacular that a second rounder couldn't have done? Elliott led the league in rushing and in conversation for MVP.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anything, we screwed up with the Jaylon Smith pick. If I'm Prisci, 2nd round should've been the CB. How can anyone criticize the Elliott pick?

Did Ramsey do anything spectacular that a second rounder couldn't have done? Elliott led the league in rushing and in conversation for MVP.
I'm not so sure Ramsey did much more than Brown. But Ramsay had the hype.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ramsey was very good in coverage for most of the year, then he blew up the last 2 weeks of the year with 2 INT's (one for a TD) and like 10 PD's, which were more than he had all year up until that point. He's probably going to be a perennial Pro Bowler and make a couple All-Pro teams.

With that said, Elliott is a legit MVP candidate, he maximizes the strength of our team and is a cornerstone around which to build an entire offense. Ramsey is better than I thought he'd be, but I wouldn't even consider trading Elliott for him.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

He sounded really ghey in his interviews, but you can find those kinds of guys in the 6th.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What an idiot.

So does he think we win 13 games and come within a FG of advancing to the NFCC if we swap Zeke for Ramsey?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What an idiot.

So does he think we win 13 games and come within a FG of advancing to the NFCC if we swap Zeke for Ramsey?

Yes, because superior secondary talent leads to improved pass rush.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What an idiot.

There is an argument to be made that with a switch we win that game.

Ramsey would have been an upgrade over any corner on the field that day.

I would take Elliott over Ramsey any day but a Jordan Howard could have possibly done the same as Elliott in that game.

This article was dumb but lets not act like Ramsey was a scrub this year and could not have helped this defense.

2233boys

Not So New Member

I would take Elliott over Ramsey any day but a Jordan Howard could have possibly done the same as Elliott in that game.

This article was dumb but lets not act like Ramsey was a scrub this year and could not have helped this defense.
If a hold was called, Dallas gets to overtime. If that BS call wasn't made against Butler in the first half, Dallas may have been up by 3 at that point.

My point is, we can if all day, but what you mentioned isn't a given

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I never said anything about Ramsey being a scrub.

I shot down the retarded notion that we'd be better off with Ramsey.

And your scenario is irrelevant because had we drafted Ramsey over Elliot, we wouldn't have even been in that game to begin with which is the point I was trying to make all along.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I never said anything about Ramsey being a scrub.

I shot down the retarded notion that we'd be better off with Ramsey.

And your scenario is irrelevant because had we drafted Ramsey over Elliot, we wouldn't have even been in that game to begin with which is the point I was trying to make all along.
So what your saying is with Ramsey we wood have went 0-16? :picard

:lol

:unsure

/jiggy

Top Bottom