Watkins: Recovering Tony Romo is throwing passes

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Recovering Tony Romo is throwing passes

June, 11, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is still recovering from minor back surgery, but things are going well and he's started throwing passes.

Romo threw passes during the walkthrough sessions prior to the start of the just completed organized team activities and Tuesday, before the start of the mandatory veteran minicamp.

"It’s a progression that takes shape and I'm to the point where I feel pretty good about it," Romo said. "If we had anything next week, I'm sure we would be going full, but obviously we don’t. But I’ll be doing that on my own in some other areas."

Romo had a cyst removed in April that was described as minor by team officials. Romo said it wasn't cancerous and he didn't know the size of it. The recovery time was supposed to be three weeks, but it's taking longer.

"He has made a lot of progress, but like with a lot of the guys, we are erring on the side of caution," coach Jason Garrett said. "He has been involved in the meetings and on the field, he just hasn’t gotten the physical reps. He is working on the side and making progress in rehabbing that back. He feels good. He has certainly taken a lot of reps in this offense and at this level so he is staying in it mentally and will catch up physically."

Romo hasn't thrown passes in front of reporters during the offseason. He normally watches practice or does some rehab work in the weight room. He said he hasn't had any setbacks from a physical standpoint.

"I think, more than anything, I feel ready to go," Romo said. "I was running, we're pushing on the treadmill good last week and I was pretty amped up ready to go. I think as a player you're always just trying to push through, but at this time of year, it's intelligent to be patient with it. Anytime you go through something like that and be smart and make sure you don't do anything dumb."

Top Bottom