Claiborne To Jets; Carr To Ravens

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
2016: Carr, Claiborne, Church and Wilcox suck.

2017: :panic
Yeah they sucked, but they were OUR shitty players!

I would have liked to have gotten Claiborne and Wilcox back because they showed the biggest improvement of anybody in the secondary.

Hopefully the scouts can identify another Brown or two this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The coaching in the secondary seems to be getting better.

I'd rather get talent on the DL and let coaching magic work on the backend.
I agree, most players in our secondary had the best years ever in Dallas last season. We also turned a sixth round pick into a quality starter. So we are obviously starting to figure something out. And I don't think retaining bad players on 6 mil a year contracts over the age of 30 is a way to move forward and improve. You improve through the draft with young guys like Collins, Jones, Brown and Jaylon Smith.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2016: Carr, Claiborne, Church and Wilcox suck.

2017: :panic
Bullshit. I guess it is too much to wish for a happy medium where you can fix one problem area before tackling another. Hard to field a defense after losing three starters and the plan is Nolan Carroll and rookies. Even signing one guy would have helped to keep the draft somewhat clean.

You want to see panic? Wait until we ignore the rush to get bodies to counter what the rest of the division has loaded up to do.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bullshit. I guess it is too much to wish for a happy medium where you can fix one problem area before tackling another. Hard to field a defense after losing three starters and the plan is Nolan Carroll and rookies. Even signing one guy would have helped to keep the draft somewhat clean.

You want to see panic? Wait until we ignore the rush to get bodies to counter what the rest of the division has loaded up to do.
If most of us were running things we'd probably draft 2 DL in the first 3 picks, at least the first 4, but you know damn good and well that's not how this team thinks.

Take a look at this:

Irving/Thornton/Collins/Lawrence/Tapper/Paea/Crawford/Mayowa

That's 8 DL, and probably every last one of them is guaranteed a roster spot, with Tapper being the only question mark due to health. We never really carry more than 8-9 DL on the active roster at a time, so this idea of revamping the DL has always been misguided (as far as what will happen in reality, not what should happen).

The plan has probably always been that we won't sink premium resources into more than one DE, because I'm sure the front office/coaches are looking at the DL and thinking, do we even have room?

And that doesn't even include Gregory!

So yea, right now if you offered me a DE in the 2nd I'd take it and let the chips fall where they may, because it's quite possible that we don't even go DL in the first 3-4 rounds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So yea, right now if you offered me a DE in the 2nd I'd take it and let the chips fall where they may, because it's quite possible that we don't even go DL in the first 3-4 rounds.
Correct. We aren't loading up on Dlineman. We are looking for a War Daddy DE. We have depth. We just lack the high end talent.

data

Forbes #1

Don't worry, at the conclusion of our disappointing 2017 season, it'll be labelled as Dak's fault.

Big.Romo.Parliament.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Correct. We aren't loading up on Dlineman. We are looking for a War Daddy DE. We have depth. We just lack the high end talent.
Yea, I mean that's kind of a half-assed approach but with that being the case we'll probably have to wait until next year. Ziggy Ansah will be a free agent, so maybe we can throw $17 a year at him?

We'll see what happens, but I do think if we go DE/DB/DB in the first 3 rounds, not necessarily in that order, we can get a nice haul whether we're going DE in the 1st or 3rd.

The problem is that we all know one of our first 3 picks is going to be spent on some injured gimp who isn't going to give us shit until 2018.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Don't worry, at the conclusion of our disappointing 2017 season, it'll be labelled as Dak's fault.

Big.Romo.Parliament.
Not because of the secondary failure. If Dak has sophomoreitis it will be how he performs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
As far as I see it, we have three real ends; Lawrence, Mayowa and Tapper. I'd cut Mayowa if I found talent in the draft to squeeze him out, and Tapper and Lawrence both have their own injury issues.

Collins, Thornton, Crawford and Paia make four DTs, and Irving is a utility/anywhere player. Paia could easily be sent packing as well and you could could roll with Collins/Thornton/Crawford/Irving as your four DTs.

I am not worried about a numbers crunch in the slightest if we add two top rated DLs in the draft. Also we could easily keep 9 or 10 DL.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I think you're missing one of our best pass rushing LBers...Jerry says he's 100%...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

:lol

Yes. Yes. Let the hate flow through you.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As far as I see it, we have three real ends; Lawrence, Mayowa and Tapper. I'd cut Mayowa if I found talent in the draft to squeeze him out, and Tapper and Lawrence both have their own injury issues.

Collins, Thornton, Crawford and Paia make four DTs, and Irving is a utility/anywhere player. Paia could easily be sent packing as well and you could could roll with Collins/Thornton/Crawford/Irving as your four DTs.

I am not worried about a numbers crunch in the slightest if we add two top rated DLs in the draft. Also we could easily keep 9 or 10 DL.
As I said, huge difference between how we see the DL and how the team sees it.

You'd be willing to cut Mayowa if the board dictates two DE's in the first 3 picks, do you think the staff would?

The guy who racked up 4 sacks in December after a slow start with the team?

No chance.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Heard the same mantra last offseason.

You have to let the bad starters go to ever move forward.

Clearly, that's what's happening. It's a bold move to let them all walk but I think it was necessary. If we address the D line in a significant way, I don't think we'll miss them.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Clearly, that's what's happening. It's a bold move to let them all walk but I think it was necessary. If we address the D line in a significant way, I don't think we'll miss them.
We better hit a couple of home runs on the DL otherwise our defense will likely get smoked next season.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
our defense will likely get smoked next season.
This is the yearly mantra, and every year it's not as bad as people have said it's going to be. What we desperately needed was to stop with the status quo. Well, we've just taken a pretty big step towards that. A secondary that people have insisted has completely sucked has been blown up. And now, people are upset about that? Shit HAS to change on the defense now. I see that as a good thing. If it takes a couple years to completely revamp the defense, so be it.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
This is the yearly mantra, and every year it's not as bad as people have said it's going to be. What we desperately needed was to stop with the status quo. Well, we've just taken a pretty big step towards that. A secondary that people have insisted has completely sucked has been blown up. And now, people are upset about that? Shit HAS to change on the defense now. I see that as a good thing. If it takes a couple years to completely revamp the defense, so be it.
Exactly. It's going to take a couple of off seasons at least to get truly Super Bowl ready on defense. If we have to take a step back this year I don't care if we're working toward building a team that can compete in all phases in January and February.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
If most of us were running things we'd probably draft 2 DL in the first 3 picks, at least the first 4, but you know damn good and well that's not how this team thinks.

Take a look at this:

Irving/Thornton/Collins/Lawrence/Tapper/Paea/Crawford/Mayowa

That's 8 DL, and probably every last one of them is guaranteed a roster spot, with Tapper being the only question mark due to health. We never really carry more than 8-9 DL on the active roster at a time, so this idea of revamping the DL has always been misguided (as far as what will happen in reality, not what should happen).

The plan has probably always been that we won't sink premium resources into more than one DE, because I'm sure the front office/coaches are looking at the DL and thinking, do we even have room?

And that doesn't even include Gregory!

Our new corners will get the shit kicked out of them if someone doesn't turn into a diamond in the rough of that group.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think you're missing one of our best pass rushing LBers...Jerry says he's 100%...

FUCK EVERYBODY!! He CAN PLAY with the brace!!!!!

Top Bottom