Claiborne To Jets; Carr To Ravens

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Well, get ready for a CB in the first round.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Well, get ready for a CB in the first round.
Pretty much have to now. Lost a lot out of the secondary.

townsend

Banned
We need to get a good DB in free agency. We can't possibly expect to replace 2 CBs and 2 safeties through the draft.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
glad they're gone, but Jerry thinks Carroll is a quality replacement

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Tito, hand me a tissue. Jermaine, stop laughing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We need to get a good DB in free agency.
Well, it is too fucking late.

Because we can't manage the cap and are feckless idiots, we now will have to do exactly what I didn't want to fucking do...devote a draft to the secondary instead of the pass rush.

Didn't want to keep all four, but to lose all four is just ridiculous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The funny part about all of this is that people are once again going to try and force a first round corner to the Cowboys and yet the two best corners we have drafted in the last decade may arguable be Scandrick a fifth rounder and Brown a sixth rounder.

I guess maybe you could argue Byron Jones but he is a full time starter at safety so I don't count him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think safety is the bigger need because Byron Jones is basically a CB in nickel/dime. Due to the injuries to Scandrick/Claiborne we basically spent all of last season with Carr, Brown, and one of Scandrick/Claiborne at CB depending on which was hurt, and then Byron, Church, and Wilcox at safety.

Right now we still have 3 CB's in Scandrick/Brown/Carroll, but then we only have Jones, who functions as a CB in most passing situations, Heath and Frazier.

I think Frazier is likely much more of a liability than Carroll. We definitely need to add depth at CB, we could even grab a potential starter if the right guy is there, but all things being equal I think I'd go safety over corner because of how we use Jones.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think safety is the bigger need because Byron Jones is basically a CB in nickel/dime. Due to the injuries to Scandrick/Claiborne we basically spent all of last season with Carr, Brown, and one of Scandrick/Claiborne at CB depending on which was hurt, and then Byron, Church, and Wilcox at safety.

Right now we still have 3 CB's in Scandrick/Brown/Carroll, but then we only have Jones, who functions as a CB in most passing situations, Heath and Frazier.

I think Frazier is likely much more of a liability than Carroll. We definitely need to add depth at CB, we could even grab a potential starter if the right guy is there, but all things being equal I think I'd go safety over corner because of how we use Jones.
I totally agree. Plus I think an elite safety has a bigger overall impact on a defense than an elite corner. An elite corner takes one offensive player out of the game. I think an elite safety can take an entire part of the field out of the game. They can impact both the run game and the passing game significantly. Plus it's easier for safeties to create turnovers because they spend more time facing the QB as opposed to a reciever.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We can't evaluate DB's to save our lives, or at least we haven't the slightest clue how to develop them.

Please, please get a real pass rusher who doesn't weigh under 250 pounds soaking wet nor has at any time been a drug addict.

Then draft a solid CB in the 3rd round.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
I think we still need a mighty pass rush first. It can turn decent cbs into pro bowlers.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think we still need a mighty pass rush first. It can turn decent cbs into pro bowlers.
Lot of truth in that. A disruptive defensive line goes a long way in influencing how Quarterbacks react. It makes then think about things just a second or two longer or execute too quickly. Either way allows the defensive secondary time to adjust. It also helps the pass tush. Dallas needs to concentrate on fixing the DL primarily.

dallen

Senior Tech
It's cool how our defense was awful last year and instead of trying to improve it we seem to be making it worse

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's cool how our defense was awful last year and instead of trying to improve it we seem to be making it worse
Heard the same mantra last offseason.

You have to let the bad starters go to ever move forward.

dallen

Senior Tech

Letting bad starters go and replacing them with their shitty backups and an Eagles castoff is not what I call moving forward.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

This is true, although I feel like we should've brought back one of Carr or Wilcox just to stabilize the secondary.

Carr got 4/24 but it sounds like it's really just 2/12, 6 a year is a little rich for him but it's worth it if it means not having our hand forced in the draft. Wilcox on the other hand only got about 2/8, although to be fair to the coaching staff most of us wanted him cut during training camp and they found a way to turn him into a reliable piece of our nickel/dime formations, so I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to him.

Church was never going to be brought back for 4/26, and I'm certainly not mad that we didn't look to bring the entire group back, but we should've tried to bring one of them back just so we can be more flexible in the draft.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Letting bad starters go and replacing them with their shitty backups and an Eagles castoff is not what I call moving forward.
If the shitty backups are looked at as permanent starters then you're absolutely right. But if these turds are just placeholders until we can draft/sign better players rather than overpay guys we don't think are worth it then taking the immediate hit now as a sacrifice to building a stronger defense over the next couple of seasons is moving forward to where we need to be.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The coaching in the secondary seems to be getting better.

I'd rather get talent on the DL and let coaching magic work on the backend.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
2016: Carr, Claiborne, Church and Wilcox suck.

2017: :panic

Top Bottom