2015 Season | Super Bowl L | Carolina Panthers vs Denver Bronces | 2/7/2016

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

You're one of those people obsessed with outward appearance, aren't you? Wade is old and fat and has a country accent, so he must be a big dummy. Garrett is young and thin and smiley and stands behind a lectern and his generic coachspeak is always grammatically correct, so he must secretly be a good coach. Who cares about actual results on the field.

If whatever field you're in doesn't work out, you always have a job waiting for you in the Dallas media.
Thats right... Anyone who thinks different than you is an apologist and a liar!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What does that even mean? He just won the SB. His unit carried that team. That's called a collapse? Jesus Christ, man.
Im saying his track record is such that I wouldn't take him on. Hat tip to a dominant performance as a coordinator. Tough for me to assess where he belongs in the pecking order as a coordinator because I don't trust him and would hire him based on his laid back approach and the proof it doesn't work long term.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Im saying his track record is such that I wouldn't take him on. Hat tip to a dominant performance as a coordinator. Tough for me to assess where he belongs in the pecking order as a coordinator because I don't trust him and would hire him based on his laid back approach and the proof it doesn't work long term.
Yeah, no way would I take a guy that just coached what could be argued was the best defensive playoff run in history. Cause he's like laid back and stuff. NO THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
As far as the Superbowl goes, I should have been all in on Denver after watching how they dismantled NE.

Carolina has been doing it with smoke and mirrors all season on offense, come on Ted Gin was there most targeted WR.:lol

That o-line was always suspect and there run game was gadgety.

I was most impressed on the play of the interior of Denver line Jackson was a beast and flushed guys into a lot of sacks.

I think in the end Carolina benefitted from playing in a weak Division and the NFL being pretty mediocre this year.

I think that Dallas 2014 team wins it all this year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Denver's defense is one for the ages, they basically dragged an offense that could barely do anything to a title, beating some very tough opponents along the way. Their defense has no real weaknesses with very good interior pass-rushers who are also solid against the run, probably the best edge rushing combo in the league, an athletic/versatile LB who can play the run and pass in Trevathan, 3 CB's who are very good in man coverage and competent safeties. They basically have Pro Bowlers/All Pro caliber players everywhere except for at safety.

Free agency and age will eat away at their defense over the next 2-3 years, and I doubt they will be able to replicate performances like this with what looks to be a below average offense next year, but for right now, that defense was just as impressive this year as Seattle's was 2 years ago.

As a complete aside, can anybody give me one good reason why Tony Dungy is in the HOF but Jimmy Johnson isn't?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
How clearly is that? Campo had Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson and never went 4-12. Garrett can't win a game without one of the most efficient QBs in NFL history. 5-11 is still way better than 1-11

Oh snap!

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Thats right... Anyone who thinks different than you is an apologist and a liar!
Didn't call you a liar. Now an apologist? Totally.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, no way would I take a guy that just coached what could be argued was the best defensive playoff history. Cause he's like laid back and stuff. NO THANK YOU!
You can have him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Self awareness, please. The handful of fans on this board who have gone full Garrett hater and hate to hear anything that doesn't say he's the worst coach in history want to pretend that they have awareness of reality. :lol
Ok just keep going with that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd put Garrett somewhere in the Gailey range. Not good enough to win with flawed personnel. Better than Campo pretty clearly.
Chan Gailey took over a team that was 6-10 the year before, won the division in both of his 2 seasons, then the team wentright back to 5-11 the year after he left.

Give me Gailey.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Chan Gailey took over a team that was 6-10 the year before, won the division in both of his 2 seasons, then the team wentright back to 5-11 the year after he left.

Give me Gailey.
I wouldn't begrudge anyone who said Gailey was better but I think Garrett is in that range.

Cotton

Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:lol

Cotton

Staff member
Well... except for all those days you wanted him fired when he was here.
Well, since he wasn't a DC when he was here and that's what we are talking about, yeah... move to goalposts again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As far as the Superbowl goes, I should have been all in on Denver after watching how they dismantled NE.

Carolina has been doing it with smoke and mirrors all season on offense, come on Ted Gin was there most targeted WR.:lol

That o-line was always suspect and there run game was gadgety.

I was most impressed on the play of the interior of Denver line Jackson was a beast and flushed guys into a lot of sacks.

I think in the end Carolina benefitted from playing in a weak Division and the NFL being pretty mediocre this year.

I think that Dallas 2014 team wins it all this year.
Carolina got on a roll and played above their heads this season, this is a team that went 7-8-1 last year.

I think they have a very good team, Cam is a very versatile weapon at QB, they have the best DT/LB combination in the league, they have a physical, if somewhat athletically lacking OL, and Norman is one of the best CB's in the league.

With that said, I feel like this season was just a perfect set of circumstances for them where they got on a roll, everybody bought in to their style of play and their team concept and things just clicked for them. Also, they were fortunate to jump out to huge leads at home in both playoff game, the stat that they led by 10+ points for 104 out of 120 possible minutes leading up to the Super Bowl was mind boggling. Seattle dominated them after the first about 20 minutes of that game and probably would've won if they had another 5 or so minutes.

Long story short, I think they're still a top 10 team in the league but they are not this unstoppable juggernaut, potential dynasty that the media was selling them as over the last 2 weeks. They will be one of the top contenders to come out of the NFC next year but I certainly don't fear them like I did Seattle 2 years ago.

If you told me that we would be healthy and end up playing them for the NFCC next year, I would put our chances around 50/50.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, since he wasn't a DC when he was here and that's what we are talking about, yeah... move to goalposts again.
Well you'll have to excuse me... I was originally talking about HC and so many people tried to move the goal posts and make it a discussion about coordinators that I must have been confused.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Well you'll have to excuse me... I was originally talking about HC and so many people tried to move the goal posts and make it a discussion about coordinators that I must have been confused.
Yeah, because Wade is like a coordinator now and stuff. He also just coached his unit to one of the most impressive defensive playoff runs I have ever witnessed. So, yeah, I'm talking about that.

Top Bottom