OJ vs. America

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I just finished the TV series, and I feel I have to post some shit about it. This series really brought to mind some serious things we are still dealing with today. The whole situation perpetuated an issue that was bad then and even worse now, partly because of the things that happened in this case.

At the beginning of his stardom OJ put himself forward as this guy that didn't want to me known as black or white, just OJ. That, to me, was very admirable on the surface. Eschew the notion that is has to be black or white. Get race out of the conversation. I dig that. After watching this series I realize he wasn't exactly sincere in that notion.

I blame his counsel for a lot of that. Cochran used race to not only get him off but further racial divides in this country. He brought race into the picture when no racial influence was even apparent. He made things worse. We are a country divided because of things like this. I am tired of it. Hence this post.

Cochran and his team introduced another level of race baiting. They used the true injustices at the time to acquit a murderer. Despicable. And the truthful part is, had they just used normal defense mechanisms, OJ would never again see the light of day. But, because they were scumbags, OJ was further encouraged to do stupid shit and get his ass put in jail. He should never again see the light of day, but most likely will because of irresponsible precedents that have been set.

My overarching point is, stop talking about race. It is not fucking helping our country. The more you lend credence to this, the stronger it gets, and the worse the actual racial divided gets. Stop fucking making everything about race. Just stop it. We will never heal if we don't stop this shit. Focus on the actual injustices instead of ones made up in our heads. Again, focus on actual injustices and not the ones made up in our heads. To do the opposite is irresponsible and detrimental to our success as humans. HUMANS!

Jesus Christ, this series pissed me off.

Cotton

Staff member
~stomp stomp~

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
~stomp stomp~
I followed the trial primarily on the court transcripts as it was in session because I was working at the time. There was a real shift in the defense strategy after Cochran came aboard. He put the prosecutors and police investigation on trial. The procsecutors did a bad job of presenting evidence. They overkilled and confused the jury but I guess the question was did the jury listen to the evidence or was their mind already set toward a racist agenda.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I just finished the TV series, and I feel I have to post some shit about it. This series really brought to mind some serious things we are still dealing with today. The whole situation perpetuated an issue that was bad then and even worse now, partly because of the things that happened in this case.

At the beginning of his stardom OJ put himself forward as this guy that didn't want to me known as black or white, just OJ. That, to me, was very admirable on the surface. Eschew the notion that is has to be black or white. Get race out of the conversation. I dig that. After watching this series I realize he wasn't exactly sincere in that notion.

I blame his counsel for a lot of that. Cochran used race to not only get him off but further racial divides in this country. He brought race into the picture when no racial influence was even apparent. He made things worse. We are a country divided because of things like this. I am tired of it. Hence this post.

Cochran and his team introduced another level of race baiting. They used the true injustices at the time to acquit a murderer. Despicable. And the truthful part is, had they just used normal defense mechanisms, OJ would never again see the light of day. But, because they were scumbags, OJ was further encouraged to do stupid shit and get his ass put in jail. He should never again see the light of day, but most likely will because of irresponsible precedents that have been set.

My overarching point is, stop talking about race. It is not fucking helping our country. The more you lend credence to this, the stronger it gets, and the worse the actual racial divided gets. Stop fucking making everything about race. Just stop it. We will never heal if we don't stop this shit. Focus on the actual injustices instead of ones made up in our heads. Again, focus on actual injustices and not the ones made up in our heads. To do the opposite is irresponsible and detrimental to our success as humans. HUMANS!

I wouldn’t call them scumbags. They were just doing their jobs. They had to find an angle to exploit in order to help their client. It's what they're paid to do.

High-priced criminal defense attorneys do things like that all the time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wouldn’t call them scumbags. They were just doing their jobs. They had to find an angle to exploit in order to help their client. It's what they're paid to do.

Very true. The prosecution did a very poor job in my opinion because they piled too much technical evidence and testimony and by the time they finished the salient points were lost in the overkill presentation. That is an ear mark for most government prosecutors.

Cotton

Staff member

Then maybe my overarching point is lawyers can be scumbags sometimes. This trial just accentuated that point.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Wait what?

You don't think race baiting is not used in trials all the time by both the prsecution and defense?

You sound very naive.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Wait what?

You don't think race baiting is not used in trials all the time by both the prosecution and defense?

You sound very naive.

Cotton

Staff member
Wait what?

You don't think race baiting is not used in trials all the time by both the prsecution and defense?

You sound very naive.
Where did you get from any of my post that I don't think it happens? Maybe you should read a little more carefully, idiot. I said it shouldn't be happening and shouldn't have happened in the OJ case either.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Where did you get from any of my post that I don't think it happens? Maybe you should read a little more carefully, idiot. I said it shouldn't be happening and shouldn't have happened in the OJ case either.
I got it from you saying they are the reason race relations are so bad.

This was happening way before this trial and since then.

Cotton

Staff member

And, I stand behind what I said. He is absolutely part of why things keep getting worse and worse with the racial divide in this country. I'd like to see you quote one fucking sentence from my post that said they are the sole reason why we are where we are. Jesus fucking Christ.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Angry White Man from Texas Says People Should Stop Talking About Race
"Just stop it", he demands.

:lol

BTW, I understand your general point but could not help but think of it in headline/subhead form.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

There were other factors at work in this case. 1) OJ was a beloved figure at one point 2) this trial may have been the most publicized ever up to that point 3) it was a pivot point in culture that made a huge impact in modern society

This was an absolutely huge trial in this country. Although the lawyers were doing their job, the impact was largely negative for everyone involved.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
"Just stop it", he says.

BTW, I understand your general point but could not help but think of it in headline/subhead form.
:lol I sort of thought the same thing but I thought it better to let his passion burn out a little before I jumped in

Cotton

Staff member
"Just stop it", he demands.

Who gives a damn if I am white? I get the irony, but do we really have to make every single damn thing about the color of someone's skin? It's simply not helping.

I don't mean to direct my anger at you. That's not intended. It's just a sore point with me. Our society's answer to the question "Why would that person do that" seems to almost always start with race, or at very least it ends up there if no other answer is apparent. It doesn't have to be that way.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Who gives a damn if I am white? I get the irony, but do we really have to make every single damn thing about the color of someone's skin? It's simply not helping.

I don't mean to direct my anger at you. That's not intended. It's just a sore point with me. Our society's answer to the question "Why would that person do that" seems to almost always start with race, or at very least it ends up there if no other answer is apparent. It doesn't have to be that way.

I know, man. I can just see that you are revved up and was just messing with you. There are a lot of people who would take issue with what you're saying though because they still feel like there is plenty of systemic racism that they deal with on a daily basis. You can disagree with that but it is all about perspective.

Cotton

Staff member

I know, man. I can just see that you are revved up and was just messing with you. There are a lot of people who would take issue with what you're saying though because they still feel like there is plenty of systemic racism that they deal with on a daily basis. You can disagree with that but it is all about perspective.
I don't disagree that there is still plenty of systemic racism right now. What I'm saying is focus on the those injustices, not making things that have nothing to do with race about race. Just like the OJ trial. It was as far from being about race as you could possibly get and yet they STILL made it about racism. Focus on the actual injustices instead of fabricating racial injustices that don't exist. It happens all the time, and I guess I'm just tired of sensationalist idiots making things worse instead of truly trying to make things better.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't disagree that there is still plenty of systemic racism right now. What I'm saying is focus on the those injustices, not making things that have nothing to do with race about race. Just like the OJ trial. It was as far from being about race as you could possibly get and yet they STILL made it about racism. Focus on the actual injustices instead of fabricating racial injustices that don't exist. It happens all the time, and I guess I'm just tired of sensationalist idiots making things worse instead of truly trying to make things better.
I hear you but like 1Big said, the OJ trial specifically was about some really, really expensive defense attorneys doing whatever it took to win the case for their client. It is a slimy, disgusting business IMO but when you are talking about this type of angle in court cases unfortunately I don't see an end anytime soon. Not as long as it still gets the desired result from the defense anyway.

Cotton

Staff member
I hear you but like 1Big said, the OJ trial specifically was about some really, really expensive defense attorneys doing whatever it took to win the case for their client. It is a slimy, disgusting business IMO but when you are talking about this type of angle in court cases unfortunately I don't see an end anytime soon. Not as long as it still gets the desired result from the defense anyway.
I don't see it ending any time soon, either. That's part of my frustration. There are a shit ton of people that are screaming for equality and justice (as well they should be) and then turning around and instead of staying focused on the real issues are fabricating new ones.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And, I stand behind what I said. He is absolutely part of why things keep getting worse and worse with the racial divide in this country. I'd like to see you quote one fucking sentence from my post that said they are the sole reason why we are where we are. Jesus fucking Christ.
OK.

Top Bottom