Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Meh, I guess for something near veteran minimum. Means we can save the draft pick for a more important position.
Wouldn't preclude you from drafting a RB as well, but it would let us move on from McFadden or relegate him to a reserve role.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Wouldn't preclude you from drafting a RB as well, but it would let us move on from McFadden or relegate him to a reserve role.
Considering how the two of them performed last year I'm not convinced Murray would beat out McFadden for the job.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Considering how the two of them performed last year I'm not convinced Murray would beat out McFadden for the job.
In jerry's mind McFadden is an elite back.

In reality it's a minor miracle he didn't miss more time with injuries give his history. Hell, Murray too.

Time to move on, IMO. McFadden's still under contract so we keep him and we draft the real RB.

My priorities are QB - WR - RB - DL in near equal measure. This offense needs consistency over all other things. With much of the season spent without Murray, Dez, and Romo-- the leaders from 2014 it's little wonder we failed.

The degree of fail was shocking, though, and that's on the coach.

Either of Wentz, Elliot, Bosa, or Treadwell would make big immediate and longterm impacts for this team.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
In jerry's mind McFadden is an elite back.

In reality it's a minor miracle he didn't miss more time with injuries give his history. Hell, Murray too.

Time to move on, IMO. McFadden's still under contract so we keep him and we draft the real RB.

My priorities are QB - WR - RB - DL in near equal measure. This offense needs consistency over all other things. With much of the season spent without Murray, Dez, and Romo-- the leaders from 2014 it's little wonder we failed.

The degree of fail was shocking, though, and that's on the coach.

Either of Wentz, Elliot, Bosa, or Treadwell would make big immediate and longterm impacts for this team.
I'd be fine with a better, younger FA RB like Miller. I'm not sold on this draft class at RB with so many talented backs coming out in 2017.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, my thought exactly. Then you at least have Murray for the short yardage plays that we struggled with last year. You also have two veteran RBs possibly capable of 1000 yards. So really no need to draft anyone. Not saying it would stop me from drafting someone but I doubt he would be in the first few rounds.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, my thought exactly. Then you at least have Murray for the short yardage plays that we struggled with last year. You also have two veteran RBs possibly capable of 1000 yards. So really no need to draft anyone. Not saying it would stop me from drafting someone but I doubt he would be in the first few rounds.
I wouldn't get mad about Murray coming back on the cheap. Maybe a year of not getting the ball will let him rebound to at least 2013 form, and with another back to split carries with he could be productive. OTOH, are we sure he's going to get cut? Since Kelly is out they may try to change the blocking scheme to fit the guy they spent a fortune on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be fine with a better, younger FA RB like Miller. I'm not sold on this draft class at RB with so many talented backs coming out in 2017.
I like some backs in this draft class but it's kind of like WR. I just don't know how high the guys I like will go and honestly in most rounds I could easily see myself liking someone better. It's like Henry in the second round. Sure, I would like him as a pick but I like Kenny Clark, Billings and Butler more at DT. I probably also like Darian Thompson at safety more at that point as well (5 INTs, excellent size, and his play making stood out at the Senior Bowl). Darron Lee I would prefer at that point.

So then you look at the third round RBs and I really like guys like Jordan Howard if he is still around. But it kind of just depends on what other players and positions are still available. I'd love to snag a young WR to develop with our QB. But I'd also be good with another D-lineman or DB as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTOH, are we sure he's going to get cut? Since Kelly is out they may try to change the blocking scheme to fit the guy they spent a fortune on.
Not at all. I actually heard on NFL radio that Murray talked with the Eagles new offensive coordinator and they discussed how he will fit in the new system. So I'm far from certain that they will cut him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also prefer to sign a RB like Miller, Ivory or even an older guy like Forte who I think we could milk a season or two out of in a time share.

I definitely like guys like Derrick Henry, Alex Collins, Kenneth Dixon, Paul Perkins, Jordan Howard and Jonathan Williams in the 2nd-4th but I could easily see myself liking any number of DL, WR's, LB's, DB's or even an OL in the 2nd-4th more than the RB's and I don't want to pigeon hole myself into having to draft one.

Plus, signing a guy opens up the door to letting McFadden walk after this year and drafting a guy in the stacked class next year to split time with whoever we signed this year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not at all. I actually heard on NFL radio that Murray talked with the Eagles new offensive coordinator and they discussed how he will fit in the new system. So I'm far from certain that they will cut him.
Rumors were floating yesterday that Murray is disgruntled still and wants out. That would be a rough cap hit though.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
DeMarco Murray, Eagles appear headed toward stare-down

Ian Rapoport
NFL Media Insider

A coaching change hasn't improved the situation for Eagles running back DeMarco Murray. Even with Chip Kelly being sent packing and the hire of coach Doug Pederson, the former NFL rushing leader and his team are not in a good place.

In fact, Eagles and Murray appear headed toward a stare-down regarding his future with the organization, according to several sources informed of the situation. The division boils down to: Murray's unsuccessful 2015 campaign during which he rushed for only 702 yards, the Eagles' lack of conviction that he's the right back and the massive contract Murray signed last offseason.

There are very real questions of, can Murray play and succeed in Philly in 2016? And moving forward, is a sudden turnaround feasible? There are doubts.

Remnants of the old regime have headed out the door, including Kelly and VP of player personnel Ed Marynowitz. Yet Murray, the poster child for the failed efforts during the 2015 offseason remains with four years left on his five-year, $40-milion deal that includes $9 million more guaranteed. A pre-June 1 cut would hand the Eagles a $13-million salary-cap charge -- a reality the Eagles don't seem willing to embrace at this point.

Murray doesn't feel completely comfortable with the organization, his role and how 2015 played out. He was a target for fans' angst, and it never improved on the field.

He rushed for a career-low 3.6-yards-per-carry, while his most memorable moment came when he informed owner Jeffrey Lurie on a team plane that the team lacked confidence in Kelly.

Murray hasn't asked to be released or traded, and the Eagles seem -- at this point -- intent on not cutting him. But the longer this situation goes without a resolution toward the belief that it can work, the greater chance it could explode.

It's fair to say Murray has eyes on greener pastures, places where he believes he can be successful and earn the large contract he signed. If he was released, teams like the Seahawks, Cowboys and Raiders (who were interested last offseason) would be interested again. He's currently building a house in Dallas.

It's unclear how much interest there would be in a trade -- and that likely would require a re-worked contract -- and there has been no move yet to allow Murray to explore one. While the Eagles mull how to move forward, that could be the next step.

Meanwhile, Murray sits in flux, unsure how to proceed in a situation that turned from a dream into a nightmare in the span of one season

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't understand what the Stare Down is about 13 million is too much of a cap hit when you don't know how he fits into your offense and it's a totally different coaching staff.

If this was TO level of disruption I could see it but I don't see that.

dallen

Senior Tech
He's gonna need to drop a deuce on a few desks if he wants to get cut

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Judging Murray by his work in a system not suited to his skills puzzles me.

Philadelphia traded away one of the most explosive backs in football-- perfect for their system which runs plays quickly-- for a grinder who seeks contact and helps his team possess the ball.

File that under WTF.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Judging Murray by his work in a system not suited to his skills puzzles me.

Philadelphia traded away one of the most explosive backs in football-- perfect for their system which runs plays quickly-- for a grinder who seeks contact and helps his team possess the ball.

File that under WTF.
Ryan Mathews is a big back and he averaged 5.1 YPC.

I think the blame of the system gets blown out of proportion sometimes. It's not like power backs haven't worked wonderfully in Chips system in college as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ryan Mathews is a big back and he averaged 5.1 YPC.

I think the blame of the system gets blown out of proportion sometimes. It's not like power backs haven't worked wonderfully in Chips system in college as well.
There was obviously something askew of the way he was utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom