PFT - Aikman: Cowboys should consider a QB at No. 4

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So you would blow up evrything that is currently in place to add the unknown in Aikman.

I don't think things are that dire that dire personnel-wise and we all know Aikman loves Garret so that issue does not get resolved either.
Blow up what?

I wouldn't get rid of McClay for Aikman if that's what you're asking.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, and to be honest I'd rather have McClay running things than Aikman. Although to be fair, Jerry doesn't have much time left and once Stephen takes over I wouldn't be surprised at all if he made a move to get Aikman in the front office, especially if he proved capable elsewhere first.
If you were McClay how pissed would you be if Jerry stepped aside and instead of handing things over to you he hands them over to a guy like Aikman who has never done it before. But honestly I think a large part about being a good GM is just surrounding yourself with the right scouts and evaluators.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Dallas would be moronic to pass on a QB they rate in the top 5-10 with their pick this year, unless they think they are getting a Lawrence Taylor type talent otherwise.

Of course this is the staff that said Mo Claiborne was Deion Sanders so you never know what they'll think.
Yep. If we have a chance to take a QB ranked around 5-10 on our board we'd be idiots to pass. I'm normally all in favor of sticking to our board, but there are exceptions. Since we are loaded at OL it wouldnt make sense to take an OL over a position of need just because an OL might be ranked 1 or 2 spots higher, unless he was rated head and shoulders above everyone else. But most of the time there aren't clearcut rankings, it's more like groupings/tiers where several are rated about the same.

QB is the other exception. Unless there is a can't miss generational type talent at another position, which isn't the case this year, taking a QB who is near the range of the other top players when you have a major need for QB should be a no-brainer.

But if we end up taking someone like Ramsey we'll obviously hear that 'he was the highest rated player on the board'. But the only way I pass on QB is if the one we really like is already gone and we have the next best rated much lower in another tier down. But right now it looks like Goff and Wentz should be top 10 players in this draft.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
What has Aikman done that would qualify him to be a GM anywhere?
He didn't play football for Arkansas in the 1960's or own an oil company. But besides that I think he's more qualified than what we've had the last 20 years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If you were McClay how pissed would you be if Jerry stepped aside and instead of handing things over to you he hands them over to a guy like Aikman who has never done it before. But honestly I think a large part about being a good GM is just surrounding yourself with the right scouts and evaluators.
Yea, that's why I said I wouldn't take him over McClay and that Aikman would need a strong cast surrounding him, like Elway has.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The back will flair up after every activity but it isn't harmed structurally it just painful. The inflammation can be controlled to allow almost full range by medication and topical lotions. I have dealt with a back issue for years and it isn't fun but it is manageable as long as the structure isn't damaged. Playing with some pain isn't necessarily restrictive. Aikmans back issues were different than Romo's. He was actually restricted in movement and range of motion due to the pressure on the spinal column. Romo's is more on the nerves coming through the vertebrae. Of course any player is one smack away from being a former player.
I think you're absolutely right. The back thing with Romo is just something he will have to deal with on an daily basis for the rest of his career. He dealt with it all of 2014 by taking the day of rest during the week. I imagine that will just be his routine until the day he retires.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He didn't play football for Arkansas in the 1960's or own an oil company. But besides that I think he's more qualified than what we've had the last 20 years.
What Dallas has still doesn't qualify Aikman.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Blow up what?

I wouldn't get rid of McClay for Aikman if that's what you're asking.
Bringing in Aikman is removing McClay and that is would be blowing everything up, Aikman is not going to keep people around who are not his guys.

Anyway this is all fantasy so no need to go further.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I think you're absolutely right. The back thing with Romo is just something he will have to deal with on an daily basis for the rest of his career. He dealt with it all of 2014 by taking the day of rest during the week. I imagine that will just be his routine until the day he retires.
Maybe it's just me but it seems to bother some people that he takes Wednesday's off. Not necessarily anyone here but it seems that some are bothered that he takes off. I really don't understand why as long as he still performs well on Sunday. As long as a player performs well on Sunday, I couldn't care less about what days he takes off.

junk

Not So New Member
What has Elway done that would qualify him to be a GM anywhere?

If we had some legit organizational structure like the Packers or some such I would never suggest such a thing, but Aikman at least seems like a rational/pragmatic person who sees the game in with a sober mind, which is much more than I can say for Jerry.

Surround him with guys who have experience in personnel like Elway did in Denver and I'd be confident moving forward.
That's what I thought about Elway too until I read some recent article about him. His Dad was in the Denver personnel department before he died and it sounded like Elway more or less shadowed him to learn about NFL personnel. Then he was the GM of the Colorado Crush, in the arena league, for like 5 years. Granted, arena league, not NFL, but still a training ground. When he started in Denver, he also had some pretty established front office people working with him (which you mentioned).

Far more experience than Aikman. Heck, probably more experience than our HC when he got the job.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Maybe it's just me but it seems to bother some people that he takes Wednesday's off. Not necessarily anyone here but it seems that some are bothered that he takes off. I really don't understand why as long as he still performs well on Sunday. As long as a player performs well on Sunday, I couldn't care less about what days he takes off.
He might be fine-- maybe. But it's only logical that the improvement of the team around him is slowed if they miss 16 practices with the starting QB compared with the other 31 teams.

They practice for a reason, right? Nothing breaks up the rhythm than the absence of the most important player.

It's a windfall of reps for the backup, I guess.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He might be fine-- maybe. But it's only logical that the improvement of the team around him is slowed if they miss 16 practices with the starting QB compared with the other 31 teams.

They practice for a reason, right? Nothing breaks up the rhythm than the absence of the most important player.

It's a windfall of reps for the backup, I guess.
Romo has pretty established Chemistry with Dez and Witten, shrimp Beasley as well. Whether he can get on the same page with Williams varies from game to game, but I think that's less Romo and more Williams' focus. Overall, that limits the damage and I don't think that getting the backup snaps is a bad deal. If we draft a rookie at #4 I would be happy to have him taking all the Wednesday snaps... if it wasn't for the fact that he would be practicing the worst offense in the NFL and being coached by 3 of whatever the opposite of a QB guru is.

townsend

Banned
I think related but not on the right track. Norv Turner is no ball buster but he knows how to work with QBs.
It's related in that they'll answer yes to any question regardless of the truth, including "are you qualified?"

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Can Aikman just be our Elway and come run the team?
And take the power of the final decision out of a Jones family member's hands? HA! Not likely.

You're funny, Simp.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And take the power of the final decision out of a Jones family member's hands? HA! Not likely.

You're funny, Simp.
Once Jerry dies or becomes incompetent mentally (Legal definition not what some here are thinking) it's very possible the Jones family gives up that decision making.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Once Jerry dies or becomes incompetent mentally (Legal definition not what some here are thinking) it's very possible the Jones family gives up that decision making.
The likelyhood is that the organization will be shared by the three offspring and widow who will allow the siblings run the business. Squabbles will then be eminent and the team will still be in shambles. Be prepared for this or hitch your wagon to another group.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The likelyhood is that the organization will be shared by the three offspring and widow who will allow the siblings run the business. Squabbles will then be eminent and the team will still be in shambles. Be prepared for this or hitch your wagon to another group.
I think the structure is pretty well cemented in that goof son is going to be willed the controlling figurehead status. Jerry has set him up to be the heir apparent and I think he can get his legal team to work out the details without any chance that the rest of the clan will be able to instigate a power struggle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I seriously doubt this is what will happen. Some of the people you mention don't really have much of an interest in the actual football operations and are mostly concerned with boozing and collecting the money.

Top Bottom