PFT - Aikman: Cowboys should consider a QB at No. 4

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
When Hall of Famer and FOX analyst Troy Aikman stopped by the set of PFT Live on Super Bowl Radio Row Thursday, Aikman and Mike Florio discussed the possibility of the Cowboys pursuing Johnny Manziel or Robert Griffin III to address their backup quarterback situation.

But Aikman said he believes the Cowboys might be better served by pursuing a quarterback of the future, even with the No. 4 pick in this year’s draft.

“If there is a player who…is what you view as a franchise quarterback, I think you have to take that guy,” Aikman said. “Jerry [Jones] is all in now and certainly he feels Tony Romo can play another three or four seasons, but I liken it a little to the Green Bay situation when the Packers took Aaron Rodgers.

“At the time, Brett Favre had never missed a game. And he would go on to never miss a game for three more years. In Dallas, we all know what happened with Romo going down last season and the backup situation, although I think their problems went beyond the quarterback position. To me, if you have a chance to add a franchise quarterback, and if you’re going to the team that Jerry thinks they are going to be, then you’re never going to be in this [draft] position again, at least not anytime soon.

“To have a chance to set your team up for 15 years, I don’t know how you bypass that.”

Back problems forced Aikman out of the NFL at 34, so at least to an extent he knows what Romo, who will be 36 this spring, has been battling.

“Tony has been managing the back,” Aikman said. “It has not been smooth sailing coming off the back surgeries. When he returned from missing seven or eight games [last November], he could not go through a normal week’s practice. Of course the collarbone got all the attention, but the back was not right.

“Can he make it through a 16-game schedule? Of course he can. But in all likelihood he won’t. He has shown the back issues are taking a toll.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/04/aikman-cowboys-should-consider-a-qb-at-no-4/

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Aikman using his head to think while Irvin campaigns for Manziel (before latest incident).

GShock

DCC 4Life
“Tony has been managing the back,” Aikman said. “It has not been smooth sailing coming off the back surgeries. When he returned from missing seven or eight games [last November], he could not go through a normal week’s practice. Of course the collarbone got all the attention, but the back was not right.
Thanks for the post. First I had heard of this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the post. First I had heard of this.
I remember when he came back from the collarbone he went right back to the light work schedule he had been doing for over a year. I thought it was a little odd at the time that a guy who had sat that long didn't maybe want to get a little extra prep work in. But yeah, obviously they were still concerned about his back.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I remember when he came back from the collarbone he went right back to the light work schedule he had been doing for over a year. I thought it was a little odd at the time that a guy who had sat that long didn't maybe want to get a little extra prep work in. But yeah, obviously they were still concerned about his back.
The back will flair up after every activity but it isn't harmed structurally it just painful. The inflammation can be controlled to allow almost full range by medication and topical lotions. I have dealt with a back issue for years and it isn't fun but it is manageable as long as the structure isn't damaged. Playing with some pain isn't necessarily restrictive. Aikmans back issues were different than Romo's. He was actually restricted in movement and range of motion due to the pressure on the spinal column. Romo's is more on the nerves coming through the vertebrae. Of course any player is one smack away from being a former player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Dallas would be moronic to pass on a QB they rate in the top 5-10 with their pick this year, unless they think they are getting a Lawrence Taylor type talent otherwise.

Of course this is the staff that said Mo Claiborne was Deion Sanders so you never know what they'll think.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, but he has to spend those days with Joe Buck
Counterpoint: Yeah, but he gets his wiener sucked whenever he wants.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas would be moronic to pass on a QB they rate in the top 5-10 with their pick this year, unless they think they are getting a Lawrence Taylor type talent otherwise.

Of course this is the staff that said Mo Claiborne was Deion Sanders so you never know what they'll think.
You answered your own question.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Can Aikman just be our Elway and come run the team?
He's having too much fun getting paid millions to work like two days a week.
Aikman told Joe Buck that he wants to get into a front office role and that he won't be doing this commentating thing for much longer, so I think he would take a job with us if offered.

The two biggest obstacles are that Jerry doesn't want to concede control to any GM whatsoever, even if that guy were a former Cowboys legend. Second, in that same interview along with other times I've heard Troy talk about Jerry, I don't think he particularly cares for him.

Troy holds him responsible for ruining the team he was on in the 90's and constantly critiques the way he runs the organization. If you notice, he doesn't have that same connection with the franchise as a whole that Irvin, Emmitt, Woodson or any of those guys from that era.

I don't see it happening because the relationship isn't there between those two and Jerry probably wouldn't hire him to do that anyway because he just won't relinquish control.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Aikman told Joe Buck that he wants to get into a front office role and that he won't be doing this commentating thing for much longer, so I think he would take a job with us if offered.

The two biggest obstacles are that Jerry doesn't want to concede control to any GM whatsoever, even if that guy were a former Cowboys legend. Second, in that same interview along with other times I've heard Troy talk about Jerry, I don't think he particularly cares for him.

Troy holds him responsible for ruining the team he was on in the 90's and constantly critiques the way he runs the organization. If you notice, he doesn't have that same connection with the franchise as a whole that Irvin, Emmitt, Woodson or any of those guys from that era.

I don't see it happening because the relationship isn't there between those two and Jerry probably wouldn't hire him to do that anyway because he just won't relinquish control.
I agree, and to be honest I'd rather have McClay running things than Aikman. Although to be fair, Jerry doesn't have much time left and once Stephen takes over I wouldn't be surprised at all if he made a move to get Aikman in the front office, especially if he proved capable elsewhere first.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What has Aikman done that would qualify him to be a GM anywhere?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What has Aikman done that would qualify him to be a GM anywhere?
What has Elway done that would qualify him to be a GM anywhere?

If we had some legit organizational structure like the Packers or some such I would never suggest such a thing, but Aikman at least seems like a rational/pragmatic person who sees the game in with a sober mind, which is much more than I can say for Jerry.

Surround him with guys who have experience in personnel like Elway did in Denver and I'd be confident moving forward.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

If we had some legit organizational structure like the Packers or some such I would never suggest such a thing, but Aikman at least seems like a rational/pragmatic person who sees the game in with a sober mind, which is much more than I can say for Jerry.

Surround him with guys who have experience in personnel like Elway did in Denver and I'd be confident moving forward.
Elway having success doesn't mean Aikman would. Elway was around football all his life. His dad was a coach and obviously passed along a great deal of the game and player analysis to him.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Elway ran a arena league franchise and he has people working under him who have years of experience.

He did not come straight out of a booth as Aikman would be doing.

I don't know how Aikman would be as a GM but there is no reason why anybody should be comfortable giving him integral input into personnel decisions on a NFL team.

What has he said or done other than QB the team that would make you entertain this thought?

Not putting you on the spot but this idea seems like a huge uneccesary gamble, it's not like Aikman is dropping wisdom from the booth.

If we are basing it on that I would rather have moose who seems like he actually watches tape.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Aikman as an exec would be more like Dan Marino was than Elway is.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Elway ran a arena league franchise and he has people working under him who have years of experience.

He did not come straight out of a booth as Aikman would be doing.

I don't know how Aikman would be as a GM but there is no reason why anybody should be comfortable giving him integral input into personnel decisions on a NFL team.

What has he said or done other than QB the team that would make you entertain this thought?

Not putting you on the spot but this idea seems like a huge uneccesary gamble, it's not like Aikman is dropping wisdom from the booth.

If we are basing it on that I would rather have moose who seems like he actually watches tape.
Because I'd rather have anybody as the overarching umbrella at GM than Jerry and Aikman comes off as rational and logical in terms of how football should be played/football teams should be built.

I have no clue whether or not he would have any success but I'd be willing to roll the dice as opposed to living with what I already know doesn't work, namely Jerry as the GM. I already said I'd rather have McClay and that Aikman would need experienced personnel guys around him in order to succeed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because I'd rather have anybody as the overarching umbrella at GM than Jerry and Aikman comes off as rational and logical in terms of how football should be played/football teams should be built.

I have no clue whether or not he would have any success but I'd be willing to roll the dice as opposed to living with what I already know doesn't work, namely Jerry as the GM. I already said I'd rather have McClay and that Aikman would need experienced personnel guys around him in order to succeed.
So you would blow up evrything that is currently in place to add the unknown in Aikman.

I don't think things are that dire that dire personnel-wise and we all know Aikman loves Garret so that issue does not get resolved either.

Top Bottom