America's 'everything' fighter jet is a total disaster

Jiggyfly

Banned
You're what is wrong with government and spending. It's never enough, you want more, more, more. If you really believe current money is being spent correctly and efficiently then you have your head burried in the sand.
This argument is trite and tired and does nothing to further meaningful discussion to actual problems.

I never said I wanted more money or believe gov money is being spent correctly.

You know I just posted an article about a very wasteful program and the issue was that this could have been used on infrastructure.

This thread was about a very wasteful big government program and yet for some reason you want to rail against welfare and some phantom misuse of govt infrastructure spending.

Where is the outrage over this wasted 1.3 trillion dollars?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This argument is trite and tired and does nothing to further meaningful discussion to actual problems.

I never said I wanted more money or believe gov money is being spent correctly.

You know I just posted an article about a very wasteful program and the issue was that this could have been used on infrastructure.

This thread was about a very wasteful big government program and yet for some reason you want to rail against welfare and some phantom misuse of govt infrastructure spending.

Where is the outrage over this wasted 1.3 trillion dollars?
I'm not as much outraged as possibly should be about this project. I see it as being a lot like the space program. A ton of money went down the drain on it but a lot of useful technology was also derived from it. That's part of the process for research and development. Sometimes you have successes and sometime you have total loss but it's hard to advance technology without spending a lot of money. I detest waste but by the same token I am not sure it can all be curbed when the process is trying to turn ideas into reality.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually someone else was the one who pointed out that we shouldn't complain about welfare because of all the money spent on this fighter jet. It's an absolutely ridiculous argument. The truth is we should absolutely be complaining about both. We waste a shit ton of money on military spending and we waste a shit ton of money on welfare. We also waste a shit ton of money on infrastructure. Ultimately the theme is government is extremely wasteful with their spending.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not as much outraged as possibly should be about this project. I see it as being a lot like the space program. A ton of money went down the drain on it but a lot of useful technology was also derived from it. That's part of the process for research and development. Sometimes you have successes and sometime you have total loss but it's hard to advance technology without spending a lot of money. I detest waste but by the same token I am not sure it can all be curbed when the process is trying to turn ideas into reality.
Please give an example of the useful technology that came out of this program.

This program was based on a lot of pre existing tech that they tried to graft onto 1 platform.

I think you are projecting but please show examples of this other useful technology.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Could have paid for college tuition for 23 years. (1.4 Trillion)

End homelessness in US. (Only 20 billion)

New drinking water pipes in US (1 Trillion)

Stop world hunger for 50 years (30 billion per)

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just think of all the good we could do if both Republicans and Democrats would back away from their sacred cow spending issues.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Going into a particular fiscal year Government programs have budgets at certain amounts, let's just say 10 million for a particular program. If that program doesn't spend 10 million in that fiscal year, they will receive less the next year, generally indicating that the program isn't useful, important, capable, or otherwise. Of course this looks bad on the people managing and executing the program, they get questions about why they aren't able to execute their mission, why they aren't getting things done, etc.

So at the end of every fiscal year basically every Government program there is scrambles to get all of their budget spent, whether it's important or not, because if they don't, they get less the next year and they are questioned about the importance of the program even if they are able to execute their mission while saving money. In short, there is literally no motivation to save money because of how the system is set up.

The very nature of Government in many ways is to justify it's own existence and this type of behavior is the perfect depiction of it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Going into a particular fiscal year Government programs have budgets at certain amounts, let's just say 10 million for a particular program. If that program doesn't spend 10 million in that fiscal year, they will receive less the next year, generally indicating that the program isn't useful, important, capable, or otherwise. Of course this looks bad on the people managing and executing the program, they get questions about why they aren't able to execute their mission, why they aren't getting things done, etc.

So at the end of every fiscal year basically every Government program there is scrambles to get all of their budget spent, whether it's important or not, because if they don't, they get less the next year and they are questioned about the importance of the program even if they are able to execute their mission while saving money. In short, there is literally no motivation to save money because of how the system is set up.

The very nature of Government in many ways is to justify it's own existence and this type of behavior is the perfect depiction of it.
This is true.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The funny thing is there is no real reason for such a massive federal government. Not in a system set up like ours where the States are supposed to have a certain level of power and authority. We have so much duplication of bullshit between the federal government and state governments. It's why I said if we want to have a discussion about wasted tax dollars it would probably never end. And honestly instead of trying to be more like the European countries the United States should be striving to be different and better.

Top Bottom