Terrence Williams Re-Signed

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Not a bad deal. A couple of comparable WRs got $7-8M per year. Almost feels like we got a hometown discount.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Just glad it is cheap. But I think it does make WR early very unlikely.

Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Butler. Probably only "room" for a special teams type.
If someone we fall in love with is there we can still take a shot.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I'm not a huge fan of the body catcher, but can't fault the signing given the contract.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Nothing wrong with that. Witten is in the last year of his contract and his best friend is leaving the team. It is the best TE class I can ever remember.
Which means we can get one later. Howard isn't falling to us, and he is the only TE I would take in the first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You forgot what team you are talking about.

That is not in our DNA.
We probably have one WR spot to fill on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see a middle round guy but I also wouldn't be surprised to see none with the assumption the practice squad scrub can step up this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which means we can get one later. Howard isn't falling to us, and he is the only TE I would take in the first.
I agree, I think the first is either a DE or DB. Which I'm thrilled with. I really think they wil bank on Butt. And maybe even reach for him a bit thinking he is a borderline first round talent if healthy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree, I think the first is either a DE or DB. Which I'm thrilled with. I really think they wil bank on Butt. And maybe even reach for him a bit thinking he is a borderline first round talent if healthy.
Yet another injury risk in the second? Man, I hope not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yet another injury risk in the second? Man, I hope not.
I sure hope not too. Not with all the healthy awesome TEs in this draft. Maybe the third or fourth round. Follow the path we took of getting Witten in the third.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Wow...Nice signing. I figured he was gone for sure.

No excuses now for not drafting the shit out of the defensive side of the ball.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Not a bad deal. A couple of comparable WRs got $7-8M per year. Almost feels like we got a hometown discount.
I was thinking heading into free agency that Williams would be one guy that probably would take less to stay in Dallas. That said, I did not expect to see him signed. Just seemed like the gulf was going to be too large between what Dallas could probably offer and what the rest of the market would yield. For the sake of curiosity I'd love know if he had more significantly lucrative deals on the table and passed them up to stay.

Maybe I overestimated his value but his numbers would lead me to believe he could have made more. I was not worried about him walking because he has had tendencies to disappear from the offense for weeks at a time, but he brings enough to the table for that contract, IMO. He has become a really good downfield blocker and that is not insignificant. Still want them to get a talented rookie in he draft soon though.

shane

DCC 4Life
Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Butler. Probably only "room" for a special teams type.
If we sign Harris after he's cut by the Giants, I will be extremely pleased with our WR core. Now lets draft defense.

shane

DCC 4Life
I'm surprised that Williams didn't want to do more of a prove it contract. Instead he is basically a life time Cowboy. I doubt he is going to be making any big moves at 31.
It shows that he wants to stay on the team. It's probably his life-long dream. He looked pretty good when Dez was out last year too. He's growing on me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Terrance Williams re-signs with Cowboys, keeps Dak Prescott's targets in place

8:23 PM ET

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Before free agency began, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Terrance Williams would sign elsewhere, but the Dallas Cowboys agreed to a four-year deal with their 2013 third-round draft pick on Friday.

Other free-agent receivers were able to cash in before Williams, which might have lowered his market. But the Cowboys were able to keep a key piece to their offense. Considering Dallas' losses defensively on the first day of free agency, that's not such a bad move. Williams has 177 catches for 2,791 yards and 20 touchdowns in his career.

Terms: Four years, $17 million, $9.5 million guaranteed

Grade B: Williams has flaws, but he has not missed a game in his career. Williams has put up numbers similar to what Kenny Stills put up in his first four years, and Stills received a four-year, $32 million deal that included $20 million guaranteed to stay with the Miami Dolphins. Williams has more catches and yards than Stills and the same amount of touchdowns (20).

What it means: The Cowboys were looking at selecting a wide receiver high in the draft after re-signing Brice Butler the day before free agency began. While the re-signing of Williams does not take them out of the receiver market, they are not pressed to add one. The return of Williams means quarterback Dak Prescott will have all of his top targets back again in 2017 in Dez Bryant, Cole Beasley, Williams and Butler. Williams had 44 catches for 594 yards and four touchdowns in 2016. Williams has averaged nearly 16 yards a catch for his career. He also might become the answer to a trivia question, in that he caught what appears to be Tony Romo's final touchdown pass as a Cowboys quarterback.

What's the risk? At first glance, there is minimal risk from the aspect of financials and performance. The Cowboys' coaches think highly of Williams, who might not have missed a practice in his career, either. He can run all day, as head coach Jason Garrett says. He had his best statistical year in 2015. But many viewed him as a disappointment when he became the No. 1 receiver in Bryant's absence; the quarterback play in Romo's absence played a part in that, as well. Williams knows the system. He knows the division. He understands his place in the offense. He is a reliable blocker. A Dallas native, he also gets to stay home.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If we sign Harris after he's cut by the Giants, I will be extremely pleased with our WR core. Now lets draft defense.
There is a reason Dallas released him previously and NY recently. He may be as good as Whitehead but that's saying nothing. I don't think Harris has found his game while in NY.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Top Bottom