Umm, we have a thread for this.

:unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bye, Bye, and Bye.
And unfortunately all three are bad losses.

We are pretending:
- Collins is a guard instead of the RT he should be
- We have another #2 ready to take Williams' place
- If we resign Wilcox he's just as good as Church

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

We are pretending:
Who says Collins is a RT? I hate losing Leary but the other two are replaceable. I wouldnt call them bad losses. Instead acceptable losses considering what they bring and the money they would command.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who says Collins is a RT? I hate losing Leary but the other two are replaceable. I wouldnt call them bad losses. Instead acceptable losses considering what they bring and the money they would command.
Well I think Ravi is calling Collins a RT... But he is about the only one.

Church and Williams can easily be replaced or upgraded in my opinion. Wouldn't be against bringing Williams back but certainly not at 8 mil a year or whatever. I'd rather draft someone.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

We are pretending:
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'd rather keep Wilcox than Church, especially if he's half the price.

Wilcox plays the much more difficult to find single-high role in nickel/dime and did it all year long. Church on the other hand generally played closer to the LOS in zones, or in 2-deep looks.

There are about five prospects who I could name in the upcoming draft who could play that role (not to mention Heath), but finding a reliable deep safety with range who can play that single-high like Wilcox did is more difficult.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm also not worried about McClain.

We lose him and we still have Collins, Thornton, and T. Crawford.

At DE we have Lawrence, Irving (who can shift inside), Mayowa and potentially Tapper, that's already 7 DL.

We will likely add at least one free agent and one draft pick, perhaps more, which takes us up to 9+ DL.

Basically what happens with us losing McClain is Crawford has to shift inside and play the majority of his snaps inside, as opposed to playing mostly DE last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

At DE we have Lawrence, Irving (who can shift inside), Mayowa and potentially Tapper, that's already 7 DL.

We will likely add at least one free agent and one draft pick, perhaps more, which takes us up to 9+ DL.

Basically what happens with us losing McClain is Crawford has to shift inside and play the majority of his snaps inside, as opposed to playing mostly DE last year.
I like what McClain did this year but I just don't think he can be relied upon enough to give more then a one or two year deal. Plus like you mentioned it kind of opens a spot on the D-line to draft and develop a young player. I think the 7 you listed are all but a lock to be on the team next year. So yeah that leaves about 2 spots to fill. We really need to draft at least one guy if not two on the D-line.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'd rather keep Wilcox than Church, especially if he's half the price.

Wilcox plays the much more difficult to find single-high role in nickel/dime and did it all year long. Church on the other hand generally played closer to the LOS in zones, or in 2-deep looks.

There are about five prospects who I could name in the upcoming draft who could play that role (not to mention Heath), but finding a reliable deep safety with range who can play that single-high like Wilcox did is more difficult.
Yep, Church is just Mr. Average. If we want to start improving this defense we can't just settle for Mr. Average everywhere. Bring Wilcox back and you still have Bryron Jones, Wilcox, Heath and Frazier at safety. And if you have a shot at one of these safeties in the draft you can take one. I can make a pretty long list of safeties who I would love in this draft (Assuming the top 2 are gone).

Jabrill Peppers
Budda Baker
Marcus Williams
Obi Melifonwu
Xavier Woods
Josh Jones
Desmond King

For all the love Obi is getting for his workout Josh Jones had a similarly awesome day. 6'1" 220 pounds and ran a 4.41 forty. He played the deep safety spot and the in the box safety spot in college equally well. I think you draft him day one and could plug him in at safety next to Byron Jones.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Neither Crawford or Collins is a 1, if McClain leaves Thornton takes those snaps.

Maybe they play more pass rushers on the inside but they will need to add another 1 tech for rotation and injury insurance.

I would draft a guy for that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neither Crawford or Collins is a 1, if McClain leaves Thornton takes those snaps.

Maybe they play more pass rushers on the inside but they will need to add another 1 tech for rotation and injury insurance.

I would draft a guy for that.
I would too. I'd love Jaleel Johnson for that role. I expect we could get another third/fourth round DT to kind of be next in line. Sure would help if we could get an extra pick for Romo. Even a third would really help us in filling out the defensive roster.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yep, I must be missing something if losing Wilcox, Church, and Williams is considered bad.

The only way Dallas will improve their defense-unfortunately- is to lose guys and be forced to replace them. Church and Wilcox have never been threatened with losing their jobs, even though they have sucked back there for the most part.

Top Bottom