2016 Mock Drafts

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We aren't going four rounds without a corner or tight end.

Sincerely,
DFDC
We didn't last year, if you look at Jones being a safety. We didn't in 2014, either. But we did get your buddy Escobar in 2013. Claiborne in 2012. 2011, nope. 2010, nope. 2009, nope. Jenkins AND Bennet in 2008. 2007 nope.

Stopped at '07 considering that is the first year where we no longer have anybody drafted on the team.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot about Witten. Drafted in '03

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like that draft, though I'd be tempted to trade up for Noah Spence if he fell that far.

Still.... if you are worried about immediate impact, getting a RB to restore this offense to 2014 levels would make a ton of sense.

Don't know anything about Cowser in Round 4... would prefer maybe the CB Murray or a WR there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wentz
Henry
A. Johnson

:happydance
Yeah no complaints here. Henry would be a beast behimd this offensive line. Johnson gives us a legit talent at the 1 technique spot and a big time upgrade over Hayden. And then obviously Wentz has all the physical tools to become a super stud QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol Man, the look on all of our faces when we don't take a QB with our 1st pick.
If we don't it will pretty much be a lot like the look on my face most years. The last time Dallas took the guy I wanted most in the first round was Demarcus Ware.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If we don't it will pretty much be a lot like the look on my face most years. The last time Dallas took the guy I wanted most in the first round was Demarcus Ware.
2005, what an epic draft that was. I was thrilled the whole damn time.

The last couple years have been board bitchfests for the most part even though they've been half decent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2005, what an epic draft that was. I was thrilled the whole damn time.

The last couple years have been board bitchfests for the most part even though they've been half decent.
I still really like last years draft. Especially if you count Collins. I think in a couple years we will look at it as a great draft. Of course I think Gregory puts together a big season next year. He has too much talent not to and he should be used to carrying the extra weight now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And unfortunately those high ankle sprains really set you back. Probably cost him a lot last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And unfortunately those high ankle sprains really set you back. Probably cost him a lot last year.
I just remember how good he looked in preseason and then that first NFL game before he got hurt. He was just abusing his guy. After the injury we didn't really see that stuff again. The rest will do him good. Plus he will probably be playing in the 260 range now and he should be adjusting to that now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We didn't last year, if you look at Jones being a safety. We didn't in 2014, either. But we did get your buddy Escobar in 2013. Claiborne in 2012. 2011, nope. 2010, nope. 2009, nope. Jenkins AND Bennet in 2008. 2007 nope.

Stopped at '07 considering that is the first year where we no longer have anybody drafted on the team.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot about Witten. Drafted in '03
We have a situation at CB with what could be a shortage of bodies. TE is an issue because Escobar might not come back in time from his injury.

Given our history with these two positions, I find it very hard to believe this will be a year where we overlook one or the other in the initial rounds.

TE maybe not because it is a weak year. But corner? Unless something is done in FA, it's going to be addressed early.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mine was Zach Martin and Dez Bryant. But, before those two I can't remember the last time they took someone in the 1st I wanted.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, and btw, if that's our haul, I will ruin whatever jeans I'm wearing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In that last 4 rounder I'd have gone:

1. Wentz
2. Clark or Butler, 6 of one, half dozen of another
3. Deion Jones
4. Harlan Miller

It'd suck not to get a RB and there are a million permutations that I'd be happy with there, especially in the 3rd where I really like Sterling Shepard, Sheldon Day, William Jackson III, Jordan Howard, Nick Martin, Carl Nassib and Artie Burns.

Cotton

Staff member
Rob Rang's latest:

1. Tennessee Titans - Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi: Since 1996, the first selection of every NFL draft has been spent on a quarterback, edge rusher or offensive tackle. Given the big investments in Marcus Mariota and Brian Orakpo a year ago and the need for improved play at right tackle, Tunsil looks like the early favorite to be the Titans pick at No. 1 overall. Pairing Tunsil - who scouts call a future Pro Bowler - with 2014 first round pick Taylor Lewan would give Mariota a chance to become the star this franchise needs to return to relevance in a winnable AFC South.

2. Cleveland Browns - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota: Showing not only all of the physical talent scouts are looking for in a franchise quarterback but the leadership and composure as well, Wentz stole the show at the Senior Bowl. Bigger and possessing a stronger arm that Goff, Wentz is a better fit in Jackson's offense and the elements at FirstEnergy Stadium. An FCS prospect earning this high of a pick is certainly rare but not unprecedented. The Houston Oilers drafted the late Steve McNair out of Alcorn State No. 3 overall back in 1995.

3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, CB/S, Florida State: Every indication is that the Chargers are looking to move on from longtime standout safety Eric Weddle, a pending free agent. San Diego could see Ramsey as an ideal replacement. An Olympic-caliber athlete with instincts, size and physicality, Ramsey has starred all over the secondary and even at linebacker for the Seminoles, projecting best as a safety in the NFL.

4. Dallas Cowboys - Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA: The Cowboys face a critical decision with their first round pick in 2016. This club is clearly more talented than the others with a top 5 pick and therefore a gambler like Jerry Jones might be tempted to add an immediate impact defender like Jack rather than select a quarterback to groom behind the 35-year old (and increasingly injury-prone) Tony Romo. Jack suffered a serious knee injury Sept. 23 but if teams are satisfied with his rehabilitation he'll draw top five consideration. Voted the Pac-12's Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2013 while moonlighting at running back and starring at outside linebacker, Jack has the playmaking pedigree Jones loves.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State: With last year's No. 3 overall pick Dante Fowler, Jr. set to return in 2016 after a torn ACL ruined his rookie season, the Jaguars will already get a boost to the pass rush and therefore may prefer to address another position with this pick. But with Gus Bradley on a one year contract and needing to win now, making an already stout defensive line that much stronger with the pro-ready (and Ft. Lauderdale native) Bosa is a terrific consolation prize.

6. Baltimore Ravens - Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame: The Ravens appear ready to move on from Eugene Monroe, a disappointment at left tackle since being acquired in a trade with Jacksonville. Scouts wish Stanley was a little nastier in the running game but his long arms and light feet make him a quality pass blocker.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi: The hiring of Chip Kelly suggests that the 49ers may not throwing in the towel on dual threat quarterback Colin Kaepernick just yet. Kelly is always on the search for playmaking receivers and they don't come much more competitive than Treadwell, whose strength and body control would give San Francisco a much-needed weapon in the passing game.

8. Miami Dolphins - DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon: After rewarding Cameron Wake and Ndamukong Suh with massive deals already, the Dolphins may have no choice but to watch pending free agent Olivier Vernon escape. The 6-foot-7, 290 pound Bucker is a polar opposite from the speedy Vernon but would provide greater strength and versatility along the line of scrimmage.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida: The Bucs haven't seen much return on the big investments made in former free agent addition Alterraun Verner and 2013 second round pick Johnthan Banks with Tampa surrendering 33 touchdowns and intercepting just 11 passes, by comparison. General manager Jason Licht stuck close to home by drafting Florida State's Jameis Winston and promoting Dirk Koetter to head coach. He may stay local again with Hargreaves, a rare three-time First Team All-SEC choice with 10 career interceptions.

10. New York Giants - Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State: Complementing Eli Manning and Odell Beckham, Jr. with a bell cow running back might be the fastest way of getting the Giants back into playoff contention. Elliott isn't the second-coming of Todd Gurley but he's clearly the top running back in this class, showing the all-around game to play on all three downs immediately.

11. Chicago Bears - Noah Spence, OLB/DE, Eastern Kentucky: John Fox surprised many when he pushed for the Denver Broncos to select the "too small" Von Miller with the No. 2 overall pick back in 2011. He could see similar upside with Spence, a former five-star recruit who began his career at Ohio State and flashed dominance at the Senior Bowl. Spence comes with serious character red flags but he's the most explosive edge rusher in this draft, possessing the burst and bend to star for Fox and defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio.

12. New Orleans Saints - Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama: The Saints ranked last or close to it in virtually every defensive statistic in 2015, including both points (29.8) and yardage (413.8) allowed. Taking advantage of this year's stellar defensive line talent to complement Pro Bowler Cameron Jordan up front is a sound strategy, especially with Reed. Known mostly for his strength and toughness as a run blocker for the Tide, Reed helped his cause at the Senior Bowl by getting after quarterbacks too.

13. Philadelphia Eagles - A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama: The Eagles have reportedly prioritized re-signing current defensive end Vinny Curry, whose burst and agility are a terrific fit in new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz's scheme. Complementing Curry with the blue-collar run-stuffing Robinson would go a long way towards rebuilding the Eagles' defense.

14. Oakland Raiders - Mackenzie Alexander, CB, Clemson: Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie deserves a lot of credit for drafting Khalil Mack, Amari Cooper and Derek Carr over the past two years but his initial first round pick - cornerback D.J. Hayden - hasn't fared as well. Alexander is just a redshirt sophomore but scouts are enamored with his talent and upside.

15. Los Angeles Rams - Jared Goff, QB, California: With rookie Pro Bowler Todd Gurley and the playmaking Tavon Austin on offense and the NFL's most ferocious defensive line, the Rams are only a legitimate quarterback away from contention in the NFC West. Enter Goff, a local product sure to excite the "new" Los Angeles fan base. Goff lacks the build and arm strength scouts would prefer but he is an instinctive quarterback who wins with anticipation and accuracy.

16. Detroit Lions - Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson: The Lions have a growing star in Ziggy Ansah but have not yet sufficiently replaced former free agent losses Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Cliff Avril over the past few seasons. Lawson isn't the blue chip prospect that his NCAA-leading 25.5 tackles for loss would indicate but he's powerful, agile and tenacious and, like Ansah, is still just scratching the surface of his potential.

17. Atlanta Falcons - Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor: It is hard to imagine Dan Quinn, a former defensive line coach, not pushing for help to a unit which allowed more rushing touchdowns (20) in 2015 than it had sacks (19), both worst in the NFL. The perceived problem isn't necessarily a lack of talent but consistency up front for the Falcons, which is why the powerful and passionate Billings could be a fit.

18. Indianapolis Colts - Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville: Along with the healthy return of Andrew Luck, the Colts need reinforcements throughout a run defense which allowed 122 yards a game a year ago, 25th in the NFL. Rankins' quick burst and active, powerful hands make him an effective interior pass rusher - an area the Colts were especially lacking a year ago.

19. Buffalo Bills - Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Mississippi: The Bills probably should be looking for help on offense with this pick but as long as Rex Ryan has a say, the defensive line will get plenty of attention. Powerful and used to double-teams, Nkemdiche has the size and strength to be the defensive end Ryan had hoped Mario Williams would be. He's also quite athletic, boasting perhaps the most exciting raw talent as any defensive lineman in this draft. Ryan has never been one to shy from talent, even if it comes with red flags, as Nkemdiche does.

20. New York Jets - Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia: With explosive edge rushers Miller and Demarcus Ware mitigating Tom Brady's quick passes in the AFC Championship game, the Broncos provided the rest of the NFL a manual on how to beat the New England Patriots. Adding a speed rusher like Floyd to complement an already stout defensive line could be exactly what the Jets need to end the Patriots' supremacy in the AFC East.

21. Washington Redskins - Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama: Washington surrendered 4.8 yards per carry on the ground over the regular season (31st in the NFL) and were even worse in the wildcard loss to the Packers, allowing 5.5 yards per attempt. The Crimson Tide, on the other hand, was among the stoutest run defenders in the country with Ragland, arguably the highest profile defender participating in the Senior Bowl, playing a starring role. General manager Scot McCloughan might see Ragland as able to provide an immediate impact similar to the one Patrick Willis made when Washington's top scout was heading up the 49ers front office.

22. Houston Texans - Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis: Kudos to Bill O'Brien and the Texans staff for winning the AFC South but limitations at quarterback were key to Houston's early playoff exit, making an offseason upgrade a near certainty. Scouts are excited about Lynch's raw talent, which includes the big arm to make the deep sideline throws to effectively feature star wideout DeAndre Hopkins.

23. Minnesota Vikings - Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State: Mike Zimmer clearly has the Vikings on the rise, with his club out-playing the two-time defending NFC champion Seahawks for much of their wildcard game loss. His fearsome defenders could be looking for a younger, cheaper alternative at outside linebacker than veteran Chad Greenway, a pending free agent. Lee has the awareness and closing speed to star against the run and in coverage, making him a potentially ideal replacement.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor: The Bengals locked up A.J. Green to a huge extension prior to the season but virtually every other receiver on the roster is a pending free agent, including Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu. Coleman - the Biletnikoff Award winner who scored 20 touchdowns over the regular season - offers a different level of playmaking ability than Jones or Sanu, making him potentially the perfect addition to complement Green.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers - Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State: Pittsburgh's leaky secondary has been a year-long issue with reinforcements almost surely coming in the offseason, whether via the draft, free agency or both. Apple has natural coverage skills, including the fluidity and quick hands to make plays on the ball. He was voted the Defensive MVP of the Buckeyes' Fiesta Bowl win over Notre Dame.

26. Seattle Seahawks - Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State: Seattle's offensive line was a weak spot season long and with pending free agent left tackle Russell Okung likely to draw significant attention on the open market, the cap-challenged Seahawks may be forced to look to the draft for reinforcements. The 6-7, 315 pound Decker has the size and physicality Seattle's offensive line coach Tom Cable prefers at tackle and is athletic enough to block in space.

27. Green Bay Packers - Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA: Veterans Julius Peppers and B.J. Raji remained effective for the Packers in 2015 but they aren't getting any younger. General manager Ted Thompson is always on the lookout for pro-ready tough guys like Clark and he's familiar with Jim Mora's Bruins, having used a first round pick on former UCLA standout Datone Jones three years ago.

28. Kansas City Chiefs - Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State: Eric Fisher has yet to live up to expectations after being selected No. 1 overall two years ago and depth remains an issue all over Kansas City's offensive line. Head coach Andy Reid, a former offensive line coach, himself, could be intrigued by Conklin, a former walk-on at Michigan State with the power and tenacity to fill in wherever needed.

29. Arizona Cardinals - Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech: Though youngsters Markus Golden and Rodney Gunter flashed as rookies, the Cardinals missed former standout Darnell Dockett's athleticism and versatility in 2015. General manager Steve Keim could see Butler as a bigger version of Dockett. The 6-foot-4, 325 pound Butler offers rare agility for a man of his size, showing the disruptive ability to play all over the defensive line.

30. Denver Broncos - Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana: With relatively slow-footed quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler the foundation of the offense, Denver will make reinforcing the offensive line an annual priority. Spriggs, a former tight end turned four-year starting left tackle for the Hoosiers, possesses the mobility to fit at tackle or guard in Gary Kubiak's beloved zone-blocking scheme.

31. Carolina Panthers - Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State: The Panthers could be facing big changes on defense soon with Josh Norman and Kawann Short set for free agency this season and defensive end Charles Johnson's contract up a year later. Adding depth will be key in this draft. Ogbah lacks elite burst off the snap, but he's long, strong and relentless.

*The New England Patriots forfeited their first round pick of the 2016 NFL Draft as part of the Deflategate discipline.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd take Goff.

Also, I don't think Jack's injury was "serious", certainly not as serious as Smith's, it was just a meniscus tear from what I've read.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of mocks have Wentz going to Cleveland now.
Mocks are pretty meaningless right now but Wentz does have all the momentum going for him. Goff has just kind of been out of sight and out of mind since his bowl game. I'm guessing once we get to workouts, combines and interviews Goff will get some of the momentum going for himself again. Same may go for Lynch, except his last game wasn't very good so his stock kind of took a hit at that time.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't have an "insider" account anymore, but McShay has us taking Wentz at #4. If someone does have an account, can you post the rest of the mock?

Top Bottom