McGinn: 2017 NFL Draft Outlook

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2017 NFL Draft Outlook

Bob McGinn , Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 8:23 p.m. CT March 4, 2017 | Updated 1 hour ago

Based on interviews with executives in personnel for six teams, it is possible to narrow down just a little bit the pool of players that might be considered by the Green Bay Packers regardless of position if they exercise their current 29th selection in the first round of the NFL draft April 27.

Prospects are conservatively divided into three categories: As Good As Gone – barring negative developments, these players have virtually no chance of reaching No. 29; Probably Gone – players who appear to have no better than a 50-50 chance of remaining on the board at No. 29; and The Next Level – players who figure to be taken next.

Here’s an early look at 50 players who figure to fit into these layers of the draft (underclassmen are denoted by asterisk).

AS GOOD AS GONE (14)

MIKE WILLIAMS*, WR, Clemson: 6-4, 218. Huge possession receiver. “He’s a big-body, Dez Bryant mold,” said one scout. “He fits that profile well. If you sit there and try to make him a guy that wins on immediate separation, there may be an issue.” Started 30 games over portions of four seasons. “Reminds me of Mike Evans,” another scout said. “He’s really good in traffic. He is talented, big. Thing that worries me, I don’t see him separating from people.” Disappointing vertical jump of 32½ inches.

COREY DAVIS, WR, Western Michigan: 6-3, 209. Similar in many ways to Williams. “He’s more fluid than Michael Irvin was,” said one scout. “Works hard. Loves football. Smart (31 on the Wonderlic intelligence test). Attacks the football. Concentrates in traffic. Got vertical tracking skills.” Four-year starter with 326 receptions in an emerging program. “He’s good, but he’s not like some of the top guys from the past few years,” another scout said. “He’s like the kid from the Eagles (Jordan Matthews). Little better hands. He’s a big, strong guy who can catch the ball really well.”

O.J. HOWARD, TE, Alabama: 6-6, 251. Most complete tight end in the draft. “Nothing wrong with him at all,” said one scout. “Big-time basketball player in high school. Just a country boy. Big, fast, athletic. Receiving tight end or every down.” Played extensively for four seasons. “There’s no dominant in-line guys anymore but he’s probably as good as you’re going to get coming out,” a second scout said. “As a receiver he’s still a little untapped. Only two years did he play with a pro-style quarterback. He’s a phenomenal human being. His upside is through the roof.” Ran a speedy 4.51 in the 40-yard dash Saturday at the combine.

RYAN RAMCZYK*, T, Wisconsin: 6-6, 310. One scout was shocked to see this former UW-Stevens Point LT play so well in his Badgers debut against Louisiana State at Lambeau Field. “LSU has edge guys and I was saying, ‘Who the heck is the left tackle?’ ” he said. “He stood out. He matches up with people stride-for-stride athletically.” Underwent hip surgery in January. Arms measured just 33¾ inches but hands were immense (10 7/8). “Balanced and strong and steady,” said a second scout. “He goes 15 to 25. He’ll be fine.” Aggressive run blocker. “You’re just betting a lot on this guy who in one year worked his way into being a productive blocker toward the end of the year,” said a third scout. “He just comes out of nowhere, he plays, now he’s hurt and he can’t work. Lot of red flags for me. I hope they take him early.”

GARETT BOLLES*, T, Utah: 6-5, 297. Bounced around from high school to high school, played in junior college and spent just one season at Utah. “Checkered past,” said one scout. “He’s the most talented of all of them (tackles). Really athletic and tough. Plays hard. He’s got to get stronger.” Will be 25 as a rookie. “He’s more of a traditional mauler,” said another scout. “He’s athletically gifted and plays the game dirty tough. He is an LDS Mormon guy that’s kind of recaptured his life. He ran with gangs earlier in his life. He’s pretty good.” Arms were 34, hands just 9 3/8.

CAM ROBINSON*, T, Alabama: 6-6, 322. Three-year starter at LT. “He is aggressive, he’s physical, he’s big,” one scout said. “There’s nothing he can’t do physically. I think someone like (Seattle’s) Tom Cable might say, ‘Hey, I can coach him up.’ They’ll buy into the upside aspect of it.” Whiffed frequently in pass protection and had too many penalties. Arms measured 35½. “Very, very erratic,” another scout said. “Off the field is a little bit of a question mark, too.”

MITCHELL TRUBISKY*, QB, North Carolina: 6-2, 222. One-year starter. “You’ve got to try with him,” said one scout. “He’s the best of the bunch. You just wish he played more. He started one year, and the guy he played behind last year was terrible (Marquise Williams, who was in Green Bay’s camp). It’s kind of a concern. As far as the physical gifts, he’s got everything you look for. And he’s got the poise. He works hard.” Asked reporters to be known as “Mitchell” in the NFL. “Five-time Punt, Pass and Kick champion,” said a second scout. “Mr. Ohio in football out of high school. Has athletic feet and good feel for the game. As the season progressed he got better. Strong enough arm.” Hailed by a third scout as a “Marcus Mariota-type athlete.” He added: “He had his worst game against Stanford when he locked on twice and the safety picked off two passes. I wanted to compare him to (Brett) Favre but he’s a much better athlete than Favre and he’s faster than Favre. The amazing thing is he can run so well. Excellent competitor. He’s probably my best player (in the draft).” Clocked 4.67 in the 40.

DALVIN COOK*, RB, Florida State: 5-10, 210. Rushed for 4,464 yards in three seasons while adding 79 receptions. “He reminds me of Marshall Faulk so much because he can catch the ball,” said one scout. “You can stick him in the slot. He goes downfield, catches the ball, runs hard. But he’s had three shoulder operations.” Ran an ordinary 40 (4.49). “Fast, explosive runner,” another scout said. “Boy, he would add something to our offense. He’s a back who can go for 60 (yards) every now and then. He’s everything.”

LEONARD FOURNETTE*, RB, Louisiana State: 6-0, 240. Burst onto the scene as a pure freshman in 2014, rushed for a career-best 1,953 yards in ’15 and struggled playing on a high ankle sprain for most of ’16. “He’s the real deal,” said one scout. “He’s head and shoulders above everybody else.” Compared by scouts to Bo Jackson, Jonathan Stewart and Derrick Henry. “There’s similar things to Bo: size, twitch, explosion, burst, power,” said a second scout. “I could have written his report as a freshman. It didn’t take long to see he was a different bird. He’s not normal. Last year he had some of the most dynamic 2-yard gains you will ever see.” Ran 4.51 to go with a lousy 28½-inch vertical jump. “Big, strong, physical player but he really takes some hits,” a third scout said. “Like Derrick Henry.”

MYLES GARRETT*, DE, Texas A&M: 6-4, 272. Three-year starter with 32½ sacks. “He’s a freak,” said one scout. “This guy is bigger and longer than Von Miller (6-2½, 246). He’s the best player in the draft.” Projects to DE for 4-3 teams and OLB for 3-4 teams. “He will not let teammates down,” said another scout. “He’s committed. He’s all in.” His arms measured an imposing 35¼. Several scouts questioned his effort and toughness. “This guy is supposed to be the certain first pick in the draft but he leaves a lot to be desired,” said one. “He’s a good athlete but there are stretches of him not being productive. He’s not really a tough guy. He’s not strong. He’s a flash player. Everything is solid off the field but I don’t think he plays hard. I’d take (Joey) Bosa.”

JONATHAN ALLEN, DT, Alabama: 6-3, 286. Overcame multiple shoulder surgeries and made his senior season his best. “He was damn near unblockable in a lot of games,” said one scout. “He’s a difference-maker. Not a special athlete but extremely strong and an outstanding technician. He can play hurt and be productive. He just looks like a pro. He’s the perfect base end that moves inside on third down.” Three-year starter with 28½ sacks. “He doesn’t really stand out in any particular area but he just plays so hard,” another scout said. “He’s quick, active, strong. I’d want him on my team.”

REUBEN FOSTER, ILB, Alabama: 6-0, 229. Follows in the footsteps of Crimson Tide MLBs C.J. Mosley and Reggie Ragland. “He’s better than Ragland from last year but Mosley is a little bit more athletic,” said one scout. “This guy has a little more thump to him (than Mosley). He’s good, not tremendous. He’s had some issues.” Foster’s difficult past came into focus Saturday when it was reported by ESPN that he was sent home from the combine after a “heated argument” with a hospital worker in Indianapolis. “This guy is fast, explosive, the real deal,” another scout said. “He may slide because of background. He’s got all kinds of stuff.”

MARSHON LATTIMORE*, CB, Ohio State: 6-0, 193. Third-year sophomore who in effect played just one season. “He’s really quick,” said one scout. “Loose hips and good feet, and he has a burst. Faster, quicker than Gareon Conley. I just didn’t see him challenge (receivers).” Four interceptions this season and then declared two years early. “Not a true leader but teammates love him,” another scout said. “Good ball skills.”

JAMAL ADAMS*, S, Louisiana State: 6-0, 214. Two-year starter with exceptional arm length (33 3/8). “Top-10 pick,” said one scout. “Phenomenal player. He’s one of the best safeties I’ve done. That’s Earl Thomas but bigger.” Father, George, was a running back drafted in the first round by the Giants in 1985. “The whole world is excited about him but I liked him more last year (2015),” said another scout. “He’s a box guy. Breaks down well and is a good tackler. He’s a tight-hipped guy who has some problems changing direction. He struggles out in space. He’s impressive physically. He is tough.”

McGINN: Draft pool meshes perfectly with Packers' needs

RELATED: T.J. Watt well-positioned to land with Packers

PROBABLY GONE (11)

JOHN ROSS*, WR, Washington: 5-11, 188. Deep threat. Broke unofficial combine 40 record with 4.22 clocking. “He’s completely different from the other two (Williams, Davis),” said one scout. “He’s small. If you want that speed element, more of a playmaker, a vertical threat, he’s the guy.” Fourth-year junior routinely praised for his character. “Very clean off the field,” a second scout said. “Dangerous after the catch. But he may get a surgery after the combine. Shoulder.” Also underwent microfracture procedure around the time of his season-ending knee injury in 2015. Compared by a third scout to DeSean Jackson.

DAVID NJOKU*, TE, Miami: 6-4, 246. Renounced his final two years of eligibility. “It was a little bit surprising,” said one scout. “Very smart kid with a goofy personality but no issues off the field. In high school he was a 7-1 high jumper. Really good athlete and run after the catch.” Arms measured 35¼ at the combine. Started nine of 26 games. “I don’t know how you can take an unproductive backup guy from an average team in the first or second round,” a second scout said. “He’s going to blow the combine out and he’s a track guy. As far as a football player, he is a long ways away.” Ran 4.67 with a vertical jump of 37 1/2.

DESHONE KIZER*, QB, Notre Dame: 6-4, 233. Third-year sophomore. “He should have gone back,” said one scout. “I think it’s all there. He’s gifted. But that team won five games this year. They have talent.” Two-year starter with a career passer rating of 98.6. “He cranks the ball through the tight windows,” said a second scout. “Big dude. He’ll stand tall in the pocket. It’s between his ears more than anything … and when he’s under pressure he doesn’t move in the pocket as well as you would like.” Compared by a third scout to Jay Cutler because “he doesn’t win.” Added a fourth scout: “The guy got benched. He had a lot of bad games. Doesn’t win. He’s a mess.” Ran 4.83.

DESHAUN WATSON*, QB, Clemson: 6-2, 221. Started for 3½ years, leading Tigers to national title over Alabama in January. “He’s No. 1,” said one scout. “He’s played the best in the biggest stages. His best thing is leadership and he’s a winner. He has to develop into a pocket passer.” Compared by a second scout to Robert Griffin III. “He’s not as fast and isn’t as good a pure athlete but he’s like Griffin in that he beats you on the edges and not out of the pocket,” he said. “He’s not a pure passer. You have to admire the way he brings teams back. That’s something you can’t discount.” About the same size as Teddy Bridgewater. “Better athlete than Bridgewater,” said a third scout. “Arm strength? Probably similar. You don’t see him throwing the same pro kind of routes that Teddy did. He does make some NFL throws but he’s not going to be a guy who will wow you physically. Kind of lean-boned. There will be some concerns about withstanding because he hasn’t been hit a lot. Great athlete for the position.” Ran 4.66.

CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY*, RB, Stanford: 5-11, 202. Two-year starter and ex-teammate of Green Bay’s Ty Montgomery. “This guy is a better runner than Montgomery, a better catcher, he’s more explosive, more agile and he’s probably faster,” said one scout. “Montgomery is more of a straight-line guy.” Far from a workhorse back. “He’s a jack-of-all-trades guy,” another scout said. “He can be your returner and give you 15 snaps a game (at RB). Once he tests and runs 4.38 (he ran 4.49) guys will fall in love with his personality and his genetics.”

SOLOMON THOMAS*, DE, Stanford: 6-3, 273. Third-year sophomore. “Great kid,” one scout said. “Team captain. Top worker. Explosive athlete. Plays hard. Runs and chases. Strong hands.” More of a 3-technique than a 5-technique, although weight could be a problem at either position. “He reminds me of John Randle,” said another scout. “Excellent quickness and motor.”

ZACH CUNNINGHAM*, ILB, Vanderbilt: 6-3, 234. Started 27 of 36 games over three seasons. “He’s pretty (expletive) good but it’s not even close to (Reuben) Foster,” one scout said. “He’s a modern-day linebacker. He goes sideline to sideline. Led the SEC in tackles. Tough, very athletic.” Arms were 34 3/8. “He’s either a long-levered ‘sam’ backer on the line, kind of that Scott Fujita role, or he’s an inside guy,” a second scout said. “Solid, productive football player. I don’t see the dynamic play. I guess K.J. Wright was a lot like that coming out (Mississippi State, 2011). If it’s third and 8 and you’ve got to get off the field, (Cunningham) is not the guy to make that play consistently.”

TAKKARIST MCKINLEY, ILB, UCLA: 6-2, 250. Former junior-college player who had a 10-sack season as a stand-up DE last season. “He’s an outside linebacker in a 3-4,” said one scout. “Loves football. He’ll work at his weaknesses. He’s got a great first step. He could sneak into the first (round).” Arms measured 34¾. “He does have an explosive takeoff but he’s a stiff, straight-line guy,” said another scout. “OK athlete. I thought he was soft. He’s not close to Anthony Barr. Barr had loose hips.”

MARLON HUMPHREY*, CB, Alabama: 6-0, 197. Third-year junior, two-year starter. “He is the most complete corner I’ve seen come out of there,” said one scout. “I’ve done Dre Kirkpatrick, Dee Milliner, Kareem Jackson. He can be a big-time player. He’s as violent as I’ve ever seen a corner be. He comes up to smack people. It’s rare to see a corner of his caliber that seeks contact. I guess a little of that comes from his dad. … Looks the part. Track guy. He’s got to get some eye discipline. He likes to jam but his eyes will lose discipline.” Father, Bobby, was a running back drafted in the first round of the 1989 supplemental draft by the Broncos. “He’s super-talented,” said another scout. “He just doesn’t make plays on the ball. If he made plays on the ball he’d go higher.”

TRE’DAVIOUS WHITE, CB, Louisiana State:5-11, 192. Four-year starter. “Hell of a player,” one scout said. “Quick, agile. All football.” Some scouts question his speed. “He is really quick,” another scout said. “Really good one-on-one cover. Good ball react and hands. Has red-zone problems against tall receivers.”

JABRILL PEPPERS*, S-CB, Michigan: 5-11, 213. Possibly the most multi-dimensional player in the draft. “He’s one of my top five players,” said one scout. “You can line him up at receiver, running back, slot, free safety, strong safety, kick returner. The worst thing he is is a safety who can cover the slot. I’d start him (off) at corner.” Weighed 213, eight more than his program weight and befitting teams that view him as a hybrid LB. “He’s a utility safety for us,” said another scout. “People seem confused what to do with the guy. Just put him out there. Guy’s a winner.” Two-year starter with merely one interception. “I don’t think he’s a natural defensive guy in space,” another scout said. “He has issues in space. Everybody’s all over the board. I got him as an offensive player, a slot-running back.”

THE NEXT LEVEL (25)

CURTIS SAMUEL*, WR-RB, Ohio State: 5-11, 196. Third-year junior almost equally valuable as a receiver, runner and returner. “He’s Percy Harvin,” said one scout. “Urban (Meyer) ran him from the tailback spot more than he ran Percy Harvin but that’s because the game has changed. Every time he touches the ball it’s a potential touchdown.” Described as a faster Randall Cobb by a second scout. “Unique player,” he said. “Physically tough. Playmaking ability.” Averaged just 11.7 yards per catch in 2016. “He’s supposed to be this big-play speed guy but he doesn’t make any big plays,” a third scout said. “He’ll run fast but he’s just more of an athlete than a player right now.” Ran extremely fast (4.31), vertical jump of 37, 18 reps on the bench press.

EVAN ENGRAM, TE, Mississippi: 6-3, 234. Four-year starter with 162 receptions. “He’s a receiving tight end, not an in-line blocker,” one scout said. “He can play slot. Smooth athlete, good speed. This is where the modern-day offense is going.” Compared by one scout to former Saints WR Marques Colston. “Not as fast or quick-footed as Marques but more of a big slot receiver,” he said. “He could probably be 245 but he’ll never be a point-of-attack guy. He’ll have to be a back-side flex guy if you want to get any kind of production out of him.” Led tight ends in the 40-yard dash Saturday with a blazing 4.42.

FORREST LAMP, G-C, Western Kentucky: 6-4, 309. Started most of his four-year career at LT but projects inside. “He’d be the best inside guy,” said one scout. “He’s technique, good athlete, balance, competitive. He’s a center-guard.” Short arms (32¼), large hands (10 5/8). Ran a fast 40 (5.00). “Western Kentucky is a good program,” said another scout. “He is really good on the move and can get to the second level and downfield. Not real strong or powerful but really is a nice athlete.”

PATRICK MAHOMES*, QB, Texas Tech: 6-2, 225. Started for 2½ seasons. “You (remember) how John Elway could scramble around and at the last second just square up and throw the ball the length of the field?” said one veteran scout. “This guy can do the same thing. He didn’t play in a bowl game this year but, remember, John Elway never played in a bowl game. (Texas Tech) had the worst defense in the nation. He had no backs and receivers this year. Excellent athlete and arm strength. He’s got a gunslinger mentality.” Played in a simplistic spread offense with limited reads. “He plays in that junk offense and has a lot to learn,” another scout said. “A lot. He’s got quick feet and a (big arm). 4.0 student. Good kid.” Arm strength might give him the edge over recent Texas Tech passers. “He could (develop) but I don’t see it,” a third scout said. “He has no vision, no mechanics. He’s erratic as hell. Makes a lot of mistakes.” Ran 4.80.

ALVIN KAMARA*, RB, Tennessee: 5-10, 214. Redshirted at Alabama and spent time in junior college before starting eight of 24 games for Volunteers. “He can do it all,” said one scout. “He’s quick. Got good balance and vision. Catches the ball extremely well out of the backfield. Just hasn’t been a lead dog.” Ran 4.56 with a vertical jump of 39½. “When Jalen (Hurd) went down (in 2016) he had a chance to step up and be that guy and you just never saw it,” another scout said. “He’s not really a between-the-tackles, wear-you-down, take-the-bull-by-the-horns guy. He needs to get out in space. He can be a good player in a niche role.”

DEREK BARNETT*, DE, Tennessee: 6-3, 259. Led the nation in sacks with 13. His career total of 33 broke Reggie White’s school mark by one. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes to the combine and bombs out athletically,” said one scout. “If he works out well and runs 4.7, he’s first round. If he runs 5-flat, 4.9, no. Little overhyped. He’s not going to be a foot athlete or a special guy.” Opted out of drills Saturday because of illness. Weight was an unexpectedly low 259. “He can do stand-up (linebacker) but I wouldn’t want him dropping,” said one scout. “You’ll want him putting his hand in the dirt and being a base DE. He plays hard when it’s time to rush the passer.”

TACO CHARLTON, DE, Michigan: 6-6, 277. Blossomed as a senior starter after being a rotational player for three years. “Loved by his teammates and loves the game of football,” one scout said. “Things come easy to him. You could almost compare him to Chandler Jones.” Arms were 34. “He won’t be dominant but he’ll be a good, solid player,” one scout said. “Not dynamic or anything. He’ll start as a rookie and be good.”

CHARLES HARRIS*, DE, Missouri: 6-3, 253. On the small side for 4-3 teams but might be athletic enough to stand up in a 3-4. “I think he’s one of the better defensive players in the draft,” said one scout. “He’s athletic, physical, tough and can rush the passer like those other Missouri guys.” Two-year starter came into his own in 2016. “This is the kind of guy that gets you fired,” another scout said. “Physically soft. Does not play strong. Once they get their hands on him it’s over. He’s a finesse rusher. I could see where you could be excited about the guy but I’d be afraid to draft him (high).” Arms were 32 5/8.

CALEB BRANTLEY*, DT, Florida: 6-3, 307. Two-year starter with just 2½ sacks. “He probably fancies himself as a 3-technique,” one scout said. “He’s got to be more consistent anchoring down and playing the run. Even as a 3-technique, you’re going to have to take on a double every now and then. Otherwise, they just keep running the ball at you all damn game. He wants to rush the passer.” Arms measured just 32. “Fake tough guy,” said another scout. “He understands how to edge the blocker and has balance and control. Doesn’t always finish the play. I like the athlete.”

DALVIN TOMLINSON, DT, Alabama: 6-3, 310. Rotational backup for two seasons before replacing NFL draftees A’shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed as a senior. “Tough, physical,” said one scout. “Not great. Just a good, solid pro. Could develop into a quality nose tackle.” Outstanding prep wrestler. “Strong at the point of attack,” said another scout. “He’s got strong hips, good hands, hard to move on run blocks. Not a dominant pass rusher but can get push and is athletic enough to edge the blocker. One-technique or 3-technique.”

MALIK MCDOWELL*, DT, Michigan State: 6-6, 295. Physical specimen with 34¾ arms and 10½ hands. “It won’t be because of lack of talent,” said one scout. “Good feet. Flashes twitch. Going to need lots of work, though.” Departed after disappointing junior season in which he had 1½ sacks in nine games. Played a lot inside but was more productive outside. “He does have a takeoff when they move him on the edge and he can up field,” another scout said. “Talented but inconsistent. I question his toughness, shed, instincts. I’m scared because he doesn’t play hard. High opinion of himself. They question if he loves football.”

RAEKWON MCMILLAN*, ILB, Ohio State: 6-2, 240. Third-year junior, two-year starter in the middle. “Excellent leader,” said one scout. “Everybody listens to this guy. He’s a zone coverage guy. He’ll need some work in man-to-man. Has feel, has vision, easy mover. He’s a perfect football guy.” Surpassed 100 tackles in each of the past two seasons. “I’m not a fan,” said another scout. “He’s tough and plays the game the right way, but he’s a little bit small and plays small. He’s not as athletic as a guy that size needs to be.”

JARRAD DAVIS, ILB, Florida: 6-1, 238. Missed four games with an ankle injury in an oft-injured career. “I don’t see how he gets out of the first (round),” said one scout. “Too fast, too athletic, too good of a player over his career there.” Arms were 33 1/2. Wonderlic of 21. “He can run and he’s rangy,” another scout said. “He’s got great leadership intangibles. Now he’s often-injured, too. He’s got to go first round.”

HAASON REDDICK, ILB, Temple: 6-1, 237. Enrolled as a cornerback but spent almost entire career as a boundary DE. Looked good at the Senior Bowl in move to the middle. “The Senior Bowl helped him a lot because he was off the ball a lot more,” one scout said. “You could see he could handle that. He’s skyrocketed. Coming into the year he was just a reject. He’s had a hell of a year. He is productive, tough, fast.” Posted 10½ of his 18 sacks as a senior. “He plays relentless and has speed,” said one scout. “Very tough. He’s a leader. Has a good feel for the game.”

TIM WILLIAMS, OLB, Alabama: 6-3, 244. Four-year player who didn’t see much action until 2015 and ended up starting just two games. “Not a special athlete, just a hell of a football player,” said one scout. “Knows how to play.” Designated pass rusher whose background will require scrutiny. “He’ll get pushed down to the second round because of his character,” another scout said. “He’s a dynamite pass rusher. He gets off the edge.”

RYAN ANDERSON, OLB, Alabama: 6-2, 253. Fifth-year senior finally worked his way into the lineup as a senior. “Very steady,” one scout said. “He doesn’t look pretty but he makes plays. Outside linebacker in a 3-4. He is (short), but he does everything good and makes plays.” Arms were just 31 1/2. “He’s thick built,” another scout said. “He’s more like the big guys they’ve had play that edge. Tough guys.”

T.J. WATT*, OLB, Wisconsin: 6-4, 252. Overcame string of injuries to forge 13-sack season in 2016, his first as a starter, and then declared a year early. “This guy just plays his tail off,” said one scout. “Boy, does he have technique. He’s Clay Matthews. Probably more explosive. Uses his hands well. He finishes things better than his brother (J.J.) did. I think he’s special.” Weighed in at 252, nine pounds more than his program weight, and had 33 1/8 arms and 11-inch hands, which might be the longest at the combine. “I don’t see him in the first round,” another scout said. “He’s a solid backup-rotational type player. I don’t think he’s a definite starter on any team. He may eventually because of the intangibles, effort, the way he plays the game. But not just on pure talent.”

QUINCY WILSON*, CB, Florida: 6-1, 211. Two-year starter with six picks. “He’s got really nice length,” said one scout. “He’s got body control and passion for the game. He will need some work on his tackling. He wants to be physical with receivers. Press corner.” Expected to run much faster than his teammate, CB Teez Tabor. “He’s much more aggressive than Tabor but I think he’ll have to be a safety,” said another scout. “He’s a little bit bulky (for cornerback). Safety is where he’ll end up.”

SIDNEY JONES*, CB, Washington: 6-0, 186. Three-year starter with nine picks. “Very good player,” said one scout. “Good arm length (31½). Adequate tackler.” On the thin side and appears to lack growth potential. “Good worker, willing to do extra,” another scout said. “Really smart. Doesn’t get rattled. I question his long speed. Never missed a game. Good hands and eyes at the line of scrimmage.”

ADOREE JACKSON*, CB, Southern California: 5-10, 186. Three-year starter and terrific return specialist. “Only negative is his height,” one scout said. “He’s always in the right spot at the right time. He knows how to keep position and break on the ball. Reminds me of Darrell Green, who was just 5-8. He’s so instinctive. Excellent one-on-one cover.” Registered six interceptions. “He’s a really good player but he’s small,” said another scout. “He’s a first-round player for me but he’s got to be penalized because he’s a midget. Second round.”

GAREON CONLEY*, CB, Ohio State: 6-0, 195. Played extensively as a true freshman and started two years. “Very confident,” one scout said. “Everybody loves the kid. Really a good teammate. Leader of the group. Smooth. Makes it look easy. Good in press man. Short-area burst. Likes to jump routes. He can track the ball deep.” Average strength affects him as a tackler. Arms were 33. “Got that long body,” another scout said. “More of a press guy. He might get in the first (round).”

MARCUS WILLIAMS*, S, Utah: 6-1, 202. Started 28 of 37 games, intercepting eight passes. “He’s like Eric Weddle in terms of his ability to work,” said one scout. “True professional. Great tester. Rare athlete. Very good ball skills. May be a corner.” Biggest negative is tackling. “He’s just not very aggressive playing the run,” said another scout. “Just doesn’t show up enough on tape.”

MALIK HOOKER*, S, Ohio State: 6-1, 206. Used his massive hands (10¾) to intercept seven passes in 2016, his only season as a starter. “He’s got great range,” one scout said. “Can he run after he catches the ball. He certainly has the feet and hips and change of direction to play corner. The guy is a first-rounder, but it bothers me that he doesn’t tackle.” That personnel man certainly wasn’t the only one to think that. “I’m not as sold on Hooker as everyone else,” said another. “I don’t think he’s going to run very well and he’s very inconsistent against the run. He is opportunistic.”

OBI MELIFONWU, S, Connecticut: 6-4, 224. Four-year player with 48 games and 48 starts. “He reminded me of Deone Bucannon because he can play in the box and in space,” said one scout. “Physical. Square tackler. I was shocked. He’s big and he can run. I think he’s too big for corner. He can replace a ‘backer in the box because he can cover.” Arms were 32½. Eight career interceptions. “He looks the part,” said another scout. “He’s more of a downhill type but he brings a presence.”

BUDDA BAKER*, S, Washington: 5-10, 195. Started all 40 games of his three-year career. “The coaches will tell you that’s the best player on their team,” said one scout. “They love that guy. He’s more like Earl Thomas. Small guy that can run.” Finished with five picks and three forced fumbles. “He’s kind of like a Bob Sanders,” a second scout said. “Big-time hitter. Around the ball. Covers the slot. Only negative I had was his height.”

GShock

DCC 4Life
In depth on the RBs

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/draft/2017/04/19/ranking-nfl-draft-prospects-running-back/100608826/

1. LEONARD FOURNETTE, Louisiana State (6-0 ½, 232, 4.52, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s a freaking beast,” said one scout. “I’m not saying he’s Earl Campbell but he’s got power. I’m not saying he’s Bo (Jackson) but when you see this guy roll at his size and strength, wow. Todd Gurley could hit it and he could run but this guy is more powerful. There’s nothing wrong with him until this year when he got the early ankle injury.” Injured in summer camp and played in just seven games resulting in an 843-yard season compared to 1,953 in 2015. “He’s rare with his size and speed and ability to run over people,” said another scout. “I worry about him long-term. He’s an erect runner and he’s going to take some punishment. He’s not elusive.” Grew up in New Orleans where his life was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Picked LSU over Alabama, which limited him to 66 yards in 36 carries (1.8) the past two seasons. “The more I watched him, he can’t create at the line of scrimmage,” said a third scout. “The last guy that had that same issue was Darren McFadden. No, he just runs over people.” Finished with 616 carries for 3,830 yards (6.2) and 40 touchdowns; caught 41 for 526. “People keep glossing over that that other kid came in and ripped up the SEC,” said one scout of Fournette's backup at LSU, Derrius Guice. “He’s got more make-you-miss (than Fournette). I don’t really know what kind of grit he has to overcome anything. He’s been a god in Louisiana since his freshman year.” Scored 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Terrible vertical jump (28 ½).

2. DALVIN COOK, Florida State (5-10 ½, 210, 4.50, 1): Third-year junior who broke Warrick Dunn’s 20-year FSU career rushing record. “He’ll be in the mode of (Devonta) Freeman,” said one scout. “I absolutely love that guy. He can take over a game. What makes him special is his first 10 yards. His acceleration rate is awesome. Good enough hands. People will try to kill his character, and to a degree he may slide.” Several scouts expressed major reservations about Cook's checkered past involving arrests for various incidents dating to high school at Miami Central. Has had three shoulder operations. Wonderlic of 11. “He’s a small back,” said another scout. “Ran 4.5, 30-inch vertical. Where’s the explosive dynamic? And he has questionable makeup.” Finished with 687 carries for 4,464 (6.5) and 22 TDs along with 79 receptions for 935. “He can score from any spot on the field,” a third scout said. “Pound for pound I think he’s the best all-around back I’ve ever done.”

3. CHRISTIAN McCAFFREY, Stanford (5-11, 203, 4.49, 1): “He’s the second-best back behind Fournette, who is head and shoulders above everybody,” said one scout. “He’s subtle with how good he is. Even though he’s had all the acclaim he’s still really good.” Comes from a family of distinguished athletes in suburban Denver; father, Ed, was a 13-year NFL receiver. His interview was compared by one scout to Tim Tebow’s. Put on a memorable receiving show at the combine. “Have you ever seen a guy catch the ball that good?” said another scout. “He’s a mismatch guy, and when they get in the league they make hay. If he moves out to the edge you might have your ‘sam’ backer on him. The other thing is, you don’t have to worry about that kid. He has been prepared for the NFL since he was born. When you get guys with dads that played in the league, they’ve been told all their lives to compete.” Third-year junior finished with 632 carries for 3,922 (6.2) and 21 TDs to go with 99 catches for 1,206. Broke Barry Sanders’ single-season record for all-purpose yards. Best year was 2015, when he was Heisman runner-up. “Everyone’s anointing him as the next great white (hope),” said a third scout. “I’m a little skeptical. He didn’t dominate as much as he did sophomore year. Why is that? What’s the value of a third-down back and return specialist?” Wonderlic of 21.

4. JOE MIXON, Oklahoma (6-0 ½, 228, 4.47. 1-3): Third-year sophomore was suspended all of 2014 for punching a woman in the face. “He’s my best back – by far,” said one scout. “He’s Adrian Peterson who returns kicks. Great receiver, not a good receiver. He can line up wide or as a slot. He’s a bigger, better Ezekiel Elliott. He can do more.” With classmate Samaje Perine having established himself, he and Mixon split time past two years. Finished with 300 carries for 2,027 (6.8) and 17 TDs to go with 65 catches for 894. Wonderlic of 12. “Someone who is succeeding with his style is the guy in Arizona (David Johnson),” said another scout. “This kid has power and speed, and he is really a quality receiver. He’s the type of guy you can leave on the field in pretty much any situation.” Will turn 21 on July 25, three years and a day from his life-altering night in Norman, Okla. “Pass protection is an area he will need to continue working on,” a third scout said. “It’s not from a lack of trying. Just technique. He’s a big, strong dude. He can do it.” From Oakley, Calif.

5. ALVIN KAMARA, Tennessee (5-10, 213, 4.59, 2): Fourth-year junior. “This guy is in the Christian McCaffrey-type role,” said one scout. “McCaffrey has done it longer. Kamara has limited carries. He absolutely could be a starter in Green Bay. He’s a hell of a lot better than (Ty) Montgomery.” Redshirted at Alabama behind T.J. Yeldon and Derrick Henry in 2013, spent ’14 at a junior college and then started just eight of 24 games for the Volunteers behind Jalen Hurd. “He couldn’t even start on his own team,” said another scout. “But he’s talented.” Led top RBs in the Wonderlic (24), vertical jump (39 ½) and broad jump (10-11). Finished with 210 carries for 1,294 (6.2) and 16 TDs along with 74 catches for 683. “I’m not all in on Kamara,” a third scout said. “He’s a small back that ran 4.59. People keep glossing over that. He’s going to be a really good change-of-pace, third-down receiving option out of the backfield. I don’t see a guy that can carry the ball three downs.” From Norcross, Ga.

6. SAMAJE PERINE, Oklahoma (5-10 ½, 232, 4.61, 2-3): Third-year junior broke Billy Sims’ career rushing record. “He’s built like a brick (expletive),” said one scout. “He is an awesome kid. Awesome. Built low to the ground. He’ll be able to absorb punishment and be durable compared to some of these high-cut backs that run fast. They get a couple shots to their legs and they’re done. There’s questions about him as a third-down back, but if you want a big back he can be a workhorse for you.” Easily paced all RBs on the bench press with 30 reps. “He’s a big guy with really nice feet that has enough size to run tough inside but has enough quickness and lateral agility to bounce it outside,” another scout said. “Everybody loves this kid.” Finished with 685 carries for 4,122 (6.0) and 49 TDs to go with 40 receptions for 321. “He’s just kind of this plodder,” said a third scout. “He’s Eddie Lacy but not as explosive. He doesn’t run through you. Eddie had great feet for a big man. He doesn’t quite have that. Good in pass pro but isn’t a threat out of the backfield.” From Pflugerville, Texas.

7. D’ONTA FOREMAN, Texas (6-0, 234, 4.47, 3): Injury-ridden and without much production in first two seasons before breaking out for 2,028 yards as third-year junior in ’16. “Very similar to Perine except Foreman ran fast, which was a surprise,” one scout said. “But he’s not a starter.” The Longhorns’ first consensus All-American choice since RB Ricky Williams in 1998. “Plays in that (spread) offense,” said another scout. “Zone read, big holes. He’s just not an aggressive runner.” Finished with 433 carries for 2,782 (6.4) and 20 TDs with merely 13 catches for 146. “Straight-line guy,” said a third scout. “Can’t pass-block me.” From Texas City, Texas. “Don’t trust him,” a fourth scout added. “Is he David Johnson? Big guy, ran fast. He’s a big guy that thinks he’s a finesse running back. He’s got really nice feet. Poor in the passing game.”

8. KAREEM HUNT, Toledo (5-10 ½, 218, 4.59, 3-4): Third-year junior. “If he was playing at one of the SEC schools the whole world would know about him,” said one scout. “I didn’t have the guts to give him higher than a third-round grade given the competition. Seldom tackled by the first man. Effective receiver out of the backfield. Excellent balance.” Weight fluctuated wildly in the last 12 months (was 237 last spring). That and off-field issues require scrutiny. “He’s grown up where I’m comfortable with the kid,” a second scout said. “But he’s not special enough to be the guy.” Carried 782 times for 4,945 (6.3) and 44 TDs with 73 receptions for 555. Three-sport athlete from Willoughby, Ohio. “He’s a banger with the ability to drop his hips and move laterally,” said a third scout. “Weight may be an issue. Still trying to work through that. Really good in blitz pickup. Really showed well at the Senior Bowl.”

9. MATT DAYES, North Carolina State (5-8 ½, 205, 4.45, 3-4): Emerged as the best senior RB. “More of a specialty back,” one scout said. “He’s a one-cut speed guy. He tries to run hard but he doesn’t have any (expletive) behind him. He does have some receiving skills.” Poor vertical jump (28) and Wonderlic (12). Finished with 550 carries for 2,856 (5.2) and 34 TDs with 98 catches for 933. “He maximizes his talent but he’s not a very talented guy,” said another scout. “Small and not a lot of speed.” From Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

10. WAYNE GALLMAN, Clemson (6-0 ½, 213, 4.59, 4): Called “generic, herky-jerky” by one personnel man. Started 37 of 42 games, ending his career with a national title. “Upright runner,” another scout said. “Little bit of strength. Runs hard, but limited. Caught the ball well at pro day but I don’t think he’s a third-down back.” Hurt his chances with a slow 40 and marginal workout. Finished with 676 carries for 3,429 (5.1) and 34 TDs with 65 catches for 473. “Rangy, leggy runner,” a third scout said. “Tough, good vision. Good, not special.” From Loganville, Ga.

11. MARLON MACK, South Florida (5-11 ½, 212, 4.49, 4): Third-year junior. “More of a perimeter-space guy,” one scout said. “He doesn’t run real powerful inside. Kind of a third-downish kind of guy. Doesn’t play big.” Started all 36 games, carrying 586 times for 3,609 (6.2) and 32 TDs and catching 65 for 498. “Like a little jitterbug-type back,” said another scout. “It’s good he was in the spread offense. When he plays in the big-boy league and has to run between the tackles I don’t know how effective he’s going to be.” From Sarasota, Fla. “Not a fan,” said a third scout. “I think he runs out of bounds. He runs away from contact.”

12. DONNEL PUMPHREY, San Diego State (5-8, 176, 4.46, 4-5): Counting bowl games, he finished third in all-time rushing behind Ron Dayne and Tony Dorsett. “Well, everybody’s going to have doubts on his size, and I do, too,” one scout said. “I’ve never seen a 178-pound guy never get hurt. That guy is hard to tackle. Ask that big pretty guy from UConn (safety Obi Melifonwu) about the Senior Bowl when he planted his helmet right in his chest and ran over his (expletive). Might be the toughest guy in the draft. I don’t know what you do with him but I’ll be surprised if he’s there in the fifth (round).” Carried a phenomenal 1,059 times for 6,405 (6.0) and 62 TDs to go with 99 receptions for 1,039. Wonderlic of 21. Just five reps on the bench. “He’s a midget but is he exciting,” a third scout said. From Las Vegas.

13. JAMES CONNER, Pittsburgh (6-1 ½, 235, 4.64, 4-5): Fourth-year junior. In 2015, he suffered a season-ending MCL injury in Game 1 and two months later was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. After undergoing chemotherapy, he was declared cancer-free in May. Went on to start all 13 games and pick up 1,092 yards. “You obviously know the story, of which I am incredibly sympathetic,” said one scout. “Old-school bruising back. Pretty good hands. Like to have him.” Rushed 668 times for 3,733 (5.6) and 52 TDs and caught 30 for 412. “Even though he’s got a great story I would be afraid to draft him because of that cancer,” said another scout. “Supposedly, he’s cancer-free, but he’s not a good enough player to take a shot on. He’s a big guy without speed and he’s not real quick. There’s nothing special there.” From Erie, Pa.

OTHERS: Elijah McGuire, Louisiana-Lafayette; Dare Ogunbowale, Wisconsin; Joe Williams, Utah; Jamaal Williams, Brigham Young; Corey Clement, Wisconsin; Jeremy McNichols, Boise State; Brian Hill, Wyoming; T.J. Logan, North Carolina; De’Veon Smith, Michigan; DeAngelo Henderson, Coastal Carolina; Elijah Hood, North Carolina; Tarik Cohen, North Carolina A&T.

Fullbacks

1. CONNOR HARRIS, Lindenwood (5-11, 242, 4.72, 4-5): Several teams have discussed converting him from middle linebacker, where he started all 48 games and established an NCAA all-division record of 633 tackles. “He definitely could because he also played running back in college,” said one scout. “Even though it’s a small (Division II) school he’s been productive when he’s been their starting running back. You look for guys like that that can help you depth-wise.” Rushed 50 times for 328 (6.6) and seven TDs; gained 188 and scored four TDs in one game. Wonderlic of 25 should ease the transition. From Lee’s Summit, Mo. Amazing resemblance to former LB Chris Spielman.

2. FREDDIE STEVENSON, Florida State (6-0 ½, 236, 6): Former LB from Bartow, Fla. “Tough, try-hard guy,” said one scout. “Not a violent in-line blocker. He wasn’t an earth mover. I saw a 214-pound linebacker jack him a couple times. He’s one of these West Coast fullbacks that tries to be a downhill guy and iso-lead guy but it’s not really their forte. He’s not a classic fullback. He’s one of these West Coast fullbacks you try to slip out in the flats.” Carried 25 times for 132 (5.3) and five TDs to go with 19 catches for 160.

OTHERS: Marquez Williams, Miami; Sam Rogers, Virginia Tech; Algernon Brown, Brigham Young.

Unsung Hero

Jamaal Williams, RB, Brigham Young: One of the hardest runners in the draft. Left as Cougars’ all-time rusher with 3,901 yards. Progress has been marred by injury and off-field problems. In fact, he withdrew from school and sat out the entire 2015 season before returning.

Scouts' Nightmare

Joe Williams, RB, Utah: Kicked out of UConn for credit card theft. First season at Utah (2015) was marginal before he exploded for 1,407 yards in just 10 games last year. Worked out great (4.45 at 209 pounds). Said one scout: “He can run like a scalded dog … just not very dependable.”

Packers' Pick to Remember

Chris Darkins, RB, Minnesota: Fourth-round draft choice in 1996. Suffered a dislocated shoulder two weeks into his first training camp and spent Super Bowl season on injured reserve. Played special teams in ’97 but never carried the ball. Converted to cornerback in ’98 but suffered two torn knee ligaments that August and was waived with an injury settlement Sept. 5. It was his last NFL contract.

Quote to Note

AFC personnel man: “Everybody keeps saying what a special running back draft this is. It’s been overhyped. There’s good players but next year’s class with the kid from Penn State (Saquon Barkley) and the backup from LSU (Derrius Guice) will be better

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You know sometimes I really wonder whether some of these scouts just love to talk bullshit or if they're actual idiots.

"A bigger, better Ezekiel Elliott. He can do more."

I mean really, so you're telling me this guy is better than one of the best rookie RB's of all time?

A guy who could potentially end up with a HOF career with multiple Pro Bowls and perhaps win an MVP?

Mixon is a "bigger, better" version of that?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You know sometimes I really wonder whether some of these scouts just love to talk bullshit or if they're actual idiots.

I mean really, so you're telling me this guy is better than one of the best rookie RB's of all time?

A guy who could potentially end up with a HOF career with multiple Pro Bowls and perhaps win an MVP?

I think a lot of them simply go along with what each other day. One idiot says something kind of dumb and group think takes over.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joe Williams, RB, Utah: Kicked out of UConn for credit card theft. First season at Utah (2015) was marginal before he exploded for 1,407 yards in just 10 games last year. Worked out great (4.45 at 209 pounds). Said one scout: “He can run like a scalded dog … just not very dependable.”
I love the way he runs. I think he could be an excellent starting NFL RB. Of course the problem is this kids desire. He retired in college from football at one point. Who even does that. Maybe he found his love for the game again (Like Beasley did with us) and will be a late round steal for someone. But it's also possible he is out of the league in three years.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Watch him play. He is impressive. I have seen every game he has played at OU. He can be a game changer.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Watch him play. He is impressive. I have seen every game he has played at OU. He can be a game changer.
I've seen him play, he's good.

Saying he's "a bigger, better Ezekiel Elliott" is still dumb as hell.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
and a woman beater. F him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've seen him play, he's good.

Saying he's "a bigger, better Ezekiel Elliott" is still dumb as hell.
Maybe so but Mixon has everything to accomplish what Elliot has in my opinion. Better ? That's a wait and see matter.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah. Elliot never had any of those stories circulated about him. :unsure
Stories or actual video of him punching a female?

And I know Elliot is no saint.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Offensive line:

1. CAM ROBINSON, Alabama (6-6, 321, 5.15, 1): Probably played his best game Oct. 22 against Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett. “At least you know what you’re getting,” said one scout. “Guy’s been a three-year starter (at LT) in the SEC. You can certainly see the potential. He has poor upper-body strength. He missed the entire spring before last season with shoulder surgery and it really affected his ability to play. I think he started overcompensating and got into some poor habits from a technical standpoint.” Third-year junior with 35 ½-inch arms and 10 ½-inch hands. “He hasn’t got better since his freshman year,” said a second scout. “He’s a right tackle to me. I don’t trust him to protect (his team’s quarterback).” Arrested in May 2016 on drug possession and gun charges. Although the DA didn’t prosecute, Alabama imposed various requirements in order to stay on the team. Scored 16 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Shoulder issues concern teams. “Very, very erratic,” said a third scout. “Lot of penalties. Up and down play.” From Monroe, La.

2. GARETT BOLLES, Utah (6-5, 299, 4.98, 1): Will turn 25 next month after a troubled past in which he was kicked out of five schools and arrested for vandalizing a rival school’s field. “You name it, I’ve done it,” Bolles told kutv.com, adding that he was headed “down the wrong path to prison.” A married couple became his guardians, and his life began to turn around. Played two seasons in junior college and one for the Utes before declaring a year early. “Tough past,” said one scout. “One-year player. Very athletic. You like the up side. Concerned about the package.” Added another scout: “Tell me how many guys have been first round that are 25 or older? I’ll say this. Teams that have spent time with him, he gets football. Loves it. He’ll give you every ounce of soul, that kid.” Scored 9 on the Wonderlic, leading to questions whether he can retain an NFL system and make rapid pre-snap adjustments. “He saw the light,” said a third scout. “He’s got great feet and range. He’s aggressive and tenacious.” From Lehi, Utah. Married, couple has a son. “Really athletic and tough … he’s the most talented of all of them (tackles),” a fourth scout said. “He’s got to get stronger. That’s his weak point. Plays hard. You wish he was 21 or 22.”

3. RYAN RAMCZYK, Wisconsin (6-5 ½, 309, no 40, 1): Fourth-year junior was starting LT for UW-Stevens Point in 2013-14 and for Badgers in ’16. Worked on the scout team as a redshirt transfer in ’15. “Very talented,” said one scout. “He’s smart, competitive and a good athlete. He’s a run blocker. He’s good with his angles. He’s aggressive.” Enrolled at Winona State out of Stevens Point Area Senior High School but stayed less than a week. Spent time at two technical colleges pursuing a degree in welding before returning to his hometown and playing for the Division III Pointers. “The guy goes from a technical school in 2012 to a first-round pick,” said another scout. “I don’t have one negative thing about him except his hip surgery. Excellent pass blocker. Quick set, slides, mirrors, range, anchor. Really good.” Arms were 33 ¾, large hands (10 7/8). “He’s not very powerful and he’s really not a wow athlete,” said a third scout. “For a left tackle you expect a little better movement. Supposedly he hurt his hip early in the year so you don’t even know what you’re looking at. Is this guy better than this, or is it because he’s hurt? Whatever. This guy might be a guard when it’s all said and done but there’s just no tackles.” Wonderlic of 20. “He’s not a dancing bear,” said a fourth scout. “He’s got good balance but the range isn’t there. Paul Gruber was more of a technician and a better athlete, better player. In a lot of drafts this guy would be a second-rounder.”

4. DION DAWKINS, Temple (6-3 ½, 312, 5.10, 1-2): Started 40 of 44 games, including all but one at LT. “He’s a big mauler,” one scout said. “He’s got some power and tries to finish you. He has some edge issues. Not going to be a great second-level guy. Not a bad athlete. Love his length.” Used his long arms (35) to compensate for marginal height, leading some scouts to think he has a chance to remain at tackle in the NFL. “Yes, he could start, but his mental is not real good,” a second scout said. “That would be your concern as a rookie.” Improved his Wonderlic score from 9 to 12 on his second attempt. “He’s just a big, square dude that I can see walking in and starting Day One,” a third scout said. “Thing about him is his test score will hold him back a little bit. He’s a good kid. He’s a guard.” Always asks a ton of questions, which could help him in the NFL. From Rahway, N.J.

5. ANTONIO GARCIA, Troy (6-6 ½, 301, 5.13, 2-3): Started at LT for 3 ½ years. “Intriguing guy,” one scout said. “You know how it is. You can’t find those guys (athletic left tackles). He is athletic. He’s raw and he’ll make mistakes, but I like his tenacity. If you just said left tackle, he’d be second behind Bolles.” Has the shortest arms of the top-10 tackles (33 3/8) but posted the best vertical jump (31). “The flashes say Day Two,” said another scout. “From a consistency standpoint, I’m not there yet on him. He’s not (good) in the run game. He played in a two-point (stance) the entire time. He didn’t tee off the ball on people. This guy starts off as a backup and, with the right coach, he can evolve into a starter.” From Atlanta, where he was a standout prep basketball player. “Not very football intelligent,” a third scout said. “At the combine he looked shell-shocked. Didn’t know where the hell he was. He’ll get drafted late. Not a big fan. That’s just me.”

6. JULIE’N DAVENPORT, Bucknell (6-6 ½, 317, 5.44, 3): Led the tackles in arm length (36 ½) and the Wonderlic (28). “He’s a project,” one scout said. “Going into the Senior Bowl you compared him to Garcia, but Garcia is leaps and bounds better. Kind of soft. You take a chance because of the length.” Four-year starter at LT. “If you’re drafting him on looks alone he’s wow,” another scout said. “But he needs a ton of work.” Two-time captain with the longest wingspan (87 ½) of any player at the combine. From Paulsboro, N.J., where he also excelled in basketball. “Grew up in a really bad area,” said a third scout. “Very smart. Kind of kid I’d like to work with.”

7. ZACH BANNER, Southern California (6-8 ½, 353, 5.59, 4): Biological father is Lincoln Kennedy, a two-time Pro Bowl RT for Oakland. “If he wanted to play he could play forever,” one scout said. “He’s just lazy. He is gigantic. He could just play from being big. But he’s an underachiever. He’s slow-moving but you can get away with that if you’re as big as he is. He just doesn’t give you effort.” Weighed almost 390 at one point in 2015. Started 37 of 38 games at LT but projects as an NFL RT. Had a terrible time trying to pass protect from there in the Senior Bowl. “He’s kind of got the size of maybe Aaron Gibson but not the same level athlete,” another scout said. “He is an absolute giant. Zach Strief (6-7, 320) came out of Northwestern and ended up starting a long time for New Orleans. Maybe one of those teams that puts a premium on size will take him.” From Tacoma, Wash.

8. CONOR McDERMOTT, UCLA (6-8, 309, 5.19, 4): Started 31 games at LT. High-effort player. “He’s unassuming and gets his job done,” one scout said. “He’s a better athlete than you realize. He’s like Nate Solder. He won’t go that high but he plays like that. He could be a starter.” Voted Mr. Basketball as a Tennessee prep (Nashville). Huge hands (11). “I think he’s too strength-deficient, to tell you the truth,” said another scout. “Not a bad athlete. But he doesn’t play with any power and he doesn’t bend real well. Got bad shoulders. Hurt all the time. You want to like the kid but he’s 6-8 and can’t anchor because he’s not a good bender. He’s got long enough arms (34 ¾). Like his feet. I don’t see it.” Brother, Kevin, is the Vikings’ long snapper.

9. DAVID SHARPE, Florida (6-6, 343, 5.48, 4-5): Third-year junior and two-year starter at LT. “Very interesting because of his size and talent,” said one scout. “He’s just so inconsistent. Even though he’s 350 he wants to play like he’s 300. He’s got starting upside.” From Jacksonville, Fla., where he was an outstanding basketball player. Overweight and soft. Legally blind in one eye. “I don’t know why he would come out except somebody probably told him it’s such a bad year,” a second scout said. “Pusher, low hand carriage, top-heavy.” Arms were 35 3/8. “I hope somebody takes him high,” said a third scout. “He’s a fifth- to seventh-round talent.”

10. RODERICK JOHNSON, Florida State (6-6 ½, 300, 4.96, 5): Third-year junior and 2 ½-year starter at LT. “Never should have come out but he’ll probably make more money this year than next year,” said one scout. “Great intangibles. Can run fast in a straight line. He gets bull-rushed all over the place. Gets knocked around. But he could develop into a good player.” Long arms (36), big hands (10 ¾) and Wonderlic of 23. “You love the length but awkward athlete, not very strong,” said a second scout. “Got a lot of developmental to him.” From Florissant, Mo.

OTHERS: Aviante Collins, Texas Christian; Adam Bisnowaty, Pittsburgh; Cody Wheeler, Southern California; Jerry Ugokwe, William & Mary; Will Holden, Vanderbilt; Levon Myers, Northern Illinois; Justin Senior, Mississippi State; Javarius Leamon, South Carolina State; Jylan Ware, Alabama State; Avery Gennesy, Texas A&M; Dan Skipper, Arkansas; Cole Croston, Iowa; Sam Tevi, Utah.

Guards

1. FORREST LAMP, Western Kentucky (6-3 ½, 307, 5.01, 1-2): Started 51 games, all but three at LT. “Might be the toughest guy in the draft,” said one scout. “He probably is maxed out (physically), but guys like that play. But (expletive), no, he’s no first-rounder.” Tied for second among O-linemen in the bench press with 34 reps. Arms, however, were just 32 ¼. From Venice, Fla. “He comes from absolutely nothing,” another scout said. “He could be a complete (expletive) and he’s a great kid. Two-year captain. People are falling in love with who this kid is. He’s an undersized left tackle who has intangibles and athletic ability, and that makes me think of a center. He’s got that kind of leadership. He’s a really good third- or fourth-round pick that will get overdrafted based on no linemen.” Wonderlic scores of 23 and 25. “Best O-lineman that I did this year,” said a third scout. “Did a hell of a job against Alabama (Sept. 10) and two really good rushers. Really like him as a guard.” Projects better in a gap scheme than a zone scheme. “He played left tackle, which is what you want to see at a small school,” said a fourth scout. “He played the premier position, and played it well. He’s the best interior prospect. Ideally, you don’t want to take a guy like that in the first.”

2. DAN FEENEY, Indiana (6-4, 302, 5.26, 2): Started 46 games, including 41 at RG and the final five at RT. “He was one of our more consistent players (in the draft),” said one scout. “They ended up having to play him at tackle, and it was kind of an injustice to the kid. He has the intangibles and the intelligence (Wonderlic of 29) to be a pretty good center. I thought he was a plug-and-play guy.” Named Hoosiers’ MVP in 2016. “He’s the old-school, run-blocking guard who needs to work on his pass pro,” said another scout. “On the ground a little bit (too much) for my liking. He’s a center-guard combination guy.” From Orland Park, Ill. “I don’t think he can play,” said a third scout. “Weak in his lower body. His only chance is at center. Maybe in a pure zone scheme like Atlanta and San Fran’s running he’d have a chance to be pretty good. He’s a great kid and he’s tough, but if he gets in the wrong scheme he’s going to fail.”

3. TAYLOR MOTON, Western Michigan (6-5, 320, 5.20, 2): Helped himself immensely at the Senior Bowl, combine and pro day. “Every exposure I felt better about him,” said one scout. “Athletically, he tested pretty well.” Physical specimen with a 29 on the Wonderlic. Started at RT in 2013, ’14 and ’16, and RG in ’15. “You go back to ’15 film and watch him play right guard and he played pretty good,” said another scout. “He’s just a big, physical guy.” Much better suited for a power run game than a zone scheme. “He’s a mauler,” a third scout said. “Not a great athlete. Little bit of a waist-bender but he’s big and can maul you.” From Okemos, Mich.

4. ISAAC ASIATA, Utah (6-3, 323, 5.40, 2-3): Made 32 starts at LG, seven at RG and four at RT. “He’s all maul,” said one scout. “I love him. He always tries to kill guys. He’s got a degree of athleticism. He just plays the game really tough.” Matt, his cousin, was the Vikings’ hard-charging backup RB from 2012-16. Led O-linemen on the bench press with 35 reps. Better fit for teams with power run games. “He’s big and impressive physically but I don’t like the guy at all,” a second scout said. “Thing is, he never plays square. He’s always trying to take a side on people. He pulls OK and is quick to his target. He’s a leaner and a waist-bender.” From Spanish Fork, Utah. Will turn 25 late in the season.

5. DORIAN JOHNSON, Pittsburgh (6-5, 300, 5.29, 2-3): First All-American offensive lineman at Pitt since Ruben Brown in 1994. “Two years ago, they ran more power and Dorian had a really good year,” said one scout. “Last year they went to more motion spread with about 10 jet sweeps a game and it didn’t suit his game. He’s more of a power scheme guy.” Started 42 of 51 games, including 39 at LG. “He’s very smart (Wonderlic of 24),” said another scout. “He’s got really good length (35 ¼ arms). His lower body scares the crap out of me. Weak.” Topped guards in broad jump (9-6) and hand size (10 7/8). “He has a chance to start, sure,” a third scout said. “Pretty good athlete. He needs to get a little stronger but you like the way he plays. Tries to finish you. Little bit of a slow blinker.” From Belle Vernon, Pa.

6. DANNY ISIDORA, Miami (6-3 ½, 311, 5.03, 3-4): Selected Miami over Wisconsin and Florida State. “He’s a really good athlete,” said one scout. “His biggest issue is he needs to control his base. His base gets wide so consequently it looks like he’s going to whiff on blocks. It’s a technical thing. Athletically, there’s no better tester from the guard position.” Team captain. From Weston, Fla. “At his pro day he didn’t look like he could really unroll his hips and hit the bag and knock people back,” another scout said. “He’s got good tape, he’s got bad tape. I graded him more on the bad tape. He’s OK.”

7. NICO SIRAGUSA, San Diego State (6-4, 315, 5.34, 3-4): Three-year starter at LG. “Big, huge body,” one scout said. “Kind of a box area type. Not sure how much passion he has for the game.” Free-spirited personality from Chula Vista, Calif. His Wonderlic of 31 led guards. “Square, athletic for his size,” another scout said. “Pretty good with his hands in pass pro.” Primarily a basketball player at Mater Dei High; played just two years of football. “He is big and he is strong,” a third scout said. “He’s a guard and he just destroys people.”

8. DAMIEN MAMA, Southern California (6-3 ½, 338, 5.81, 4): Showed up at USC pushing 400 pounds. “He’s had some weight stuff,” one scout said. “But he’s big and athletic. He can do everything you want but he doesn’t play very smart and he ran a 5.8. I don’t know if there’s ever been a 5.8.” Third-year junior with 30 starts, all at guard. Largest hands of the guards (11) to go with long arms (35). “Big, powerful guy,” another scout said. “But he’s young and raw and inconsistent.” From Moreno Valley, Calif. “He’s awful,” a third scout said. “If he gets drafted I’ll be in shock.” Added a fourth scout: “Plays the game better than he tests. He’s a 5.77 40 guy so that crushes him automatically.”

9. JESSAMEN DUNKER, Tennessee State (6-4 ½, 318, 5.00, 4-5): Began career at Florida, had legal troubles and was suspended, and transferred to the FCS level at Tennessee State. Started 43 of 46 games at both guards and LT. “Hasn’t matured,” said one scout. “Needs life skills. Doesn’t work at it. Needs reps.” Fastest of the leading guards. “He’s got starter’s physical ability,” said one scout. “It’s just going to depend on the mental part of it and how fast he can get acclimated and mature. He’s more athletic than a lot of starting tackles in the NFL. Let him fail at tackle before you move him inside. I don’t think he has the power to be an inside guy. Everything happens so much faster inside. You might put him in the zone scheme and he can second level (block) and things like that.” From Boynton Beach, Fla., where he played only two years of prep football.

10. BEN BRADEN, Michigan (6-6 ½, 330, 5.07, 5): Started 36 of 38 games, including 17 at LG, 12 at RT and seven down the stretch last year at LT. “His best film was at left tackle,” said one scout. “That, to me, says something. When you put a guy out there at that spot that hasn’t been his position and he plays well, that’s a green flag. Really a big guy. I think he can play everything but center. Natural bender.” From Rockford, Mich. “One of the top testing guards but he doesn’t play that way,” another scout said. “He plays soft. Just kind of positions. Gets in the way. As big as he is he really doesn’t move guys.”

OTHERS: Jermaine Eluemunor, Texas A&M; Cameron Lee, Illinois State; Collin Buchanan, Miami (Ohio); Nate Theaker, Wayne State (Mich.); Corey Levin, Tennessee-Chattanooga; Ethan Cooper, Indiana (Pa.); Kyle Kalis, Michigan; Zack Johnson, North Dakota State.

Centers

1. ETHAN POCIC, Louisiana State (6-6, 314, 5.14, 2): Versatility is the operative word. Started 27 games at center from 2014-16, nine at RG in 2014 and one at RT in ’16. “He’s definitely smart enough to play all the positions so that enhances his value,” one scout said. “You’d want him on your team because if somebody goes down he can flip and play another spot. Good traits. He had the problem with the hip (August 2016). Good player.” Regarded as too tall for center by some teams. “But I don’t think that will keep him from playing there,” said another scout. “He’ll be a long-time interior player whether it’s guard or center. He is tough, technically sound, aware. Smart player. Got an NFL body.” Won’t turn 22 until August. Wonderlic of 29. “Not elite physical talent, obviously,” a third scout said. “But he does have elite size for guard or center. He’ll become a mid-level starter and, if he gets on a good team, he’ll look better than he really is.” From Lemont, Ill.

2. PAT ELFLEIN, Ohio State (6-2 ½, 301, 5.29, 2-3): Played several positions off the bench as a redshirt freshman in 2013 when Corey Linsley was the Buckeyes’ senior center. “They’re pretty comparable,” said one scout. “At this point I think this guy is ahead of where Corey was coming out.” Elflein started 28 games at both guards in 2014-15 before making a smooth switch to center in ’16. “I’ve studied it at length,” said a second scout. “Believe it or not, I thought he played better last year (’15). I like him better at guard than center. He’s really tough and smart (Wonderlic of 21). He didn’t test well enough to go second round.” Top-shelf prep wrestler at Pickerington, Ohio. Two-time captain for the Buckeyes. “I don’t like him but he’ll probably play for 10 years,” a third scout said. “I saw an undersized guy that wasn’t that great of an athlete and wasn’t that strong (22 reps on the bench; Linsley did 36). But he’s got all these intangibles and all that.”

3. JORDAN MORGAN, Kutztown (6-2 ½, 310, 5.40, 4-5): Gene Upshaw Award winner as the top lineman in Division II. “He’s an athlete,” said one scout. “It was mixed at the combine but he’d be an interesting mid-round guy. He’s light on his feet.” Started 43 games at LT but projects more to center and guard. “He was at the Senior Bowl and held his own,” another scout said. “Jahri Evans is the bench mark for that league (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference). Sounds like this guy is the same kind of guy.” Longest arms of the centers (34 5/8). “Sleeper type kid,” a third scout said. “He’s got a lot of up side. He’ll make it.” From Philadelphia.

4. SEAN HARLOW, Oregon State (6-4, 301, 5.19, 5): Started 37 games (23 at LT, 14 at RT) from 2013-16 working around a steady stream of injuries. If healthy, one scout said he had the talent to be a second- or third-round choice. “He fits a zone scheme,” said one scout. “Center is more of a projection.” Father, Pat, was drafted 11th in 1991 as a LT and went on to start 94 games for the Patriots and Raiders. Harlow’s biggest problem if he plays anywhere except center might be his short arms (32). Physical run blocker. “I’d call him an athletic blocker,” a second scout said. “Good athlete but not strong.” From San Clemente, Calif.

5. CHASE ROULLIER, Wyoming (6-3 ½, 310, 5.51, 6): Made 27 of his 28 starts from 2013-15 at LG before shifting to center last year. “He’s a quiet, mature, two-time captain,” said one scout. “He’s got enough size to create movement.” Wonderlic of 31 led the centers. Short arms (32 ¼), small hands (9 ½). “Not a great athlete at all or a good-looking body,” a second scout said. “But he should get drafted because he’s played guard also.” From Savage, Minn. (Burnsville H.S.).

OTHERS: Kyle Fuller, Baylor; Tyler Orlosky, West Virginia; Cameron Tom, Southern Mississippi; J.J. Dielman, Utah; Jon Toth, Kentucky; Erik Austell, Charleston Southern; Daniel Brunskill, San Diego State.

Unsung Hero

Cameron Tom, C, Southern Mississippi: Four-year starter, including three at center. Should have opened eyes with pro day numbers that put the higher-rated centers to shame: 4.88 40, vertical jump of 32 and broad jump of 9-8. Arms were 34 1/8, Wonderlic was 28. Tom (6-3 ½, 300) is a smart, versatile player who could ascend.

Scouts' Nightmare

Chad Wheeler, T, Southern California: Off-field issues, injuries and a brutal offseason leave Wheeler (6-7, 301) in the precarious position of being off boards and possibly falling to free agency. He started 45 games for the Trojans at left tackle. His weight was down to 296 at pro day, his shuttle times were awful and he managed a mere 13 reps on the bench press.

Packers' Pick to Remember

Dave Croston, T-G, Iowa: Third-round pick from Iowa in 1987. Spent all rookie season on injured reserve (elbow), started one of 16 games in ’88 and was back on injured reserve (shoulder surgery) for all ’89 after being in line to start. Entered Plan B free agency in ’90 but was never signed, ending his career. His son, Cole, walked on at Iowa and ended up starting 18 games at tackle in 2015-16; he projects as a priority free agent.

Quote to Note

AFC personnel man: “You play offensive line from the waist down. You don’t play it from the waist up.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Maybe so but Mixon has everything to accomplish what Elliot has in my opinion. Better ? That's a wait and see matter.
Nah, I don't have to wait and see on this one. Mixon may turn out to be as good as Elliot (I have my doubts), but he is nor never will be "bigger and better" than Elliot.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Nah, I don't have to wait and see on this one. Mixon may turn out to be as good as Elliot (I have my doubts), but he is nor never will be "bigger and better" than Elliot.
McShay was on Mike & Mike yesterday and said the exact same thing. They asked him just based on pure talent who he has as the best RBs and he placed Mixon either 1st or 2nd and said that he's better than Zeke.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wait, Mixon first OR second, and that he's better than Zeke?

So there are TWO runners in this draft better than Zeke?

I don't think so.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Mixon was in last years class, and without the off field stuff, nobody would have dared to say that he's better than Elliott.

It's just that now they have a baseline to work off of with Elliott in the NFL and can convince themselves of their bullshit, and the fact that they can fall back on the off field stuff if he falls makes it even easier to make such outlandish claims.

Top Bottom