2016 Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Senior Bowl: Day 1 NFL Media observations
NFL.com
Published: Jan. 26, 2016 at 09:40 p.m. Updated: Jan. 27, 2016 at 08:53 p.m. 1 Likes | 33 Comments

MOBILE, Ala. -- While the 32 NFL teams combined to send an estimated 800-900 coaches and scouts to the Reese's Senior Bowl here this week, College Football 24/7 has it's own team of scouts on the ground.

All this week, Mike Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis, Bucky Brooks and Lance Zierlein are providing analysis on NFL Network (one-hour practice recap shows at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday through Thursday, and live game broadcast at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday), NFL.com and NFL Mobile, and in this space will provide their thoughts from the daily practices.

Here are their observations from Tuesday's sessions:

Mike Mayock
» We knew going in the deepest positional group was defensive tackle, and boy did that hold true. I thought Matt Ioannidis from Temple had a great day. I thought the kid from Louisiana Tech, Vernon Butler, had a phenomenal day. But the topper was Adolphus Washington from Ohio State. He was all over the field in one-on-one drills; he was too quick, too stout. He was great in team drills. I thought he put on a show.

Daniel Jeremiah
» I thought Alabama LB Reggie Ragland was excellent, making plays all over the field. He dominated in the one-on-one pass rush vs. running backs, and he showed speed and effort in the team setting.

» BYU DE Bronson Kafusi was impressive. He has outstanding size and strength, as well as hand usage at the point of attack.

» LSU inside linebacker Deion Jones is really undersized (219 pounds), but he is extremely explosive. He covered a lot of ground today. He's going to be excellent as a nickel linebacker.

Charles Davis

» Every year we come to the Senior Bowl, and what are teams looking for? Quarterbacks. When you have players like North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, with his type of talent and his type of resume, a guy that has won big games and knows how to handle the hype, you're going to get teams that will be very interested in him. We've been here before with players that people weren't quite as high on and ended up going in the first round. I'd be surprised at the end of the process if he's not a first-round pick, and possibly a top-10 selection.

Bucky Brooks

» Ohio State WR/PR Braxton Miller is the most natural punt returner that I've seen in years. He catches the ball effortlessly with his hands and looks like a veteran judging the ball in the air. With Miller also displaying improved route-running skills and impressive ball skills, he could make an immediate impact as a multipurpose playmaker.

» Temple CB Tavon Young is creating quite a buzz after arriving in Mobile as an under-the-radar prospect. The diminutive cover corner flashes outstanding feet and movement skills in drills, yet is even more impressive in coverage. Although his size could prevent some teams from viewing him as a potential starter, Young's athleticism and agility could make him an ideal nickel corner in most schemes.

Lance Zierlein

» Georgia WR Malcolm Mitchell showed off his crisp route running and ability to make the challenging catch on Tuesday. While Alabama's Cyrus Jones got the best of him on an early matchup, Mitchell came back and had some solid reps against most of the corners lined up across from him. The Jacksonville Jaguars' coaching staff lauded Mitchell for his route running at one point. He could be a sneaky productive receiver as a Day 3 draft selection.

» I was very surprised to see Missouri center Evan Boehm have the anchor issues he had in run and pass-blocking drills. Then again, his biggest challenge seemed to come from Clemson DT D.J. Reader, a late addition to the South roster. Reader's 340-pound frame was often too much for many of the linemen he faced on Tuesday. Keep an eye on this late addition because Reader could make himself some money this week.

» Louisville DT Sheldon Rankins showed off his "karate" hands by defeating blockers with astounding quickness at times. While Rankins is undersized, his compact frame, outstanding balance, and next-level hand usage should make him one of the most consistent performers on the South squad this week.

» The speed of play did not look like a problem for North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz. He looked confident from the pocket and rolling out, and he threw the ball with solid anticipation and accuracy. Proving that he can rise to the occasion against this level of competition is what most NFL evaluators are waiting to see.

» Jump-cuts, juke steps and burst is what Louisiana Tech RB Kenneth Dixon brought to practice. Dixon measured 5-foot-10, 215 pounds, but he looks smaller than his listed weight. However, when you turn the tape on, you see a guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder, and Dixon showed that same urgency along with his elusiveness in

Jiggyfly

Banned
Senior Bowl: Day 2 NFL Media observations
NFL.com
Published: Jan. 27, 2016 at 08:51 p.m. Updated: Jan. 27, 2016 at 09:57 p.m. 17 Likes | 8 Comments

MOBILE, Ala. -- While the 32 NFL teams combined to send an estimated 800-900 coaches and scouts to the Reese's Senior Bowl this week, College Football 24/7 has its own team of scouts on the ground.

All this week, Mike Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis, Bucky Brooks and Lance Zierlein are providing analysis on NFL Network (one-hour practice recap shows at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday through Thursday, and live game broadcast at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday), NFL.com and NFL Mobile, and in this space will provide their thoughts from the daily practices.

Mike Mayock
» I really enjoyed watching Maurice Canady, the cornerback from Virginia. I really thought he stepped his game up in press coverage on Wednesday against excellent competition.

» In the O-line and D-line competition, I thought Louisville defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins said, "Hey, I'm a first-round pick".

» The first tape I put in on Kansas State guard Cody Whitehair, and I thought of Joel Bitonio and Zack Martin, two left tackles I did in the past couple years who kicked inside to guard and became Pro Bowl-type players. Whitehair is the next one of those guys. I thought he had a really good day, especially in the line drills. He along with Vidal Alexander from LSU were impressive.

» This is the best group of defensive tackles I've seen at this game in 10 years. Both teams have first-round picks -- five or six of them total. I've watched two North practices and the North defensive line has dominated, and it didn't matter which tackles were in there. The North squad is loaded at defensive tackle and defensive end.

» Michigan State center Jack Allen is a very quick, tough kid. It's a really good center class. Centers don't get valued as highly as they should. I don't know what round he's going in, I just know he's going to make somebody's team, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up starting somewhere.

» Another Michigan State kid, wide receiver Aaron Burbridge, had a huge breakout year. You can see here at the Senior Bowl that he's a competitor; very quick, catches the tough pass. I don't think he's got elite characteristics of a first- or second-round pick, but I think he's got toughness and could play special teams.

Daniel Jeremiah
» Louisville defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins dominated in Wednesday's one-on-one sessions. He can win with quickness or power. He has an explosive get-off and powerful hands. He plays like someone 25 pounds lighter. He's an all-day first-round pick.

» Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Vernon Butler jumps out when he's on the field. He carries 320-plus pounds very easily. He made a play in pursuit that caught everyone's attention. He closed on the ball carrier near the sideline and I had to double check my roster to make sure it wasn't a linebacker making the play.

Charles Davis
» How about the coverage of cornerback Jalen Mills from LSU? I thought he played with extreme confidence out there. He really never got out of his backpedal and said, "Hey, try to beat me," and no one could.

Bucky Brooks
» Louisiana Tech quarterback Jeff Driskell could be an intriguing developmental prospect based on his size and arm talent. He is a natural thrower capable of throwing with zip and velocity, yet he also flashes touch and anticipation. Although questions persist about his mental toughness after his disappointing tenure at Florida, Driskell has shown enough in Mobile to merit consideration as a developmental candidate.

» Boise State cornerback Darian Thompson has earned high marks from coaches for his high football IQ and communication skills. He has been one of the most vocal players I have heard on the field here this week, echoing calls and getting players lined up in the back end. In addition, he has shown solid skills in coverage and flashed a knack for getting his hands on the ball.

Lance Zierlein
» The North secondary really had a strong day and Virginia's Maurice Canady had people talking about his aggressiveness in one-on-one coverage. At one point during the North scrimmage sessions, the offense couldn't get anything going because of the rush and coverage of the defense, and Ohio State safety Tyvis Powell dubbed it "Check-down Wednesday".

» Speaking of the secondary, it is hard to look at Southern Utah safety Miles Killebrew and not think "Pittsburgh Steelers". On a team full of talkers, Killebrew is fairly quiet on the field, but he communicates with aggressive, physical hitting.

» Cincinnati wideout Chris Moore is not a player I have a very high draft grade on at this time, but he showed enough separation potential during practice that I am going to go back to the tape and re-watch him.

» For the second practice in a row, Baylor wide receiver Jay Lee continued to show why Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage made such a wise decision inviting him to this event. Lee has size and vertical speed, and despite a drop here and there, has made some tough catches, including a spectacular one-hander along the sideline on Wednesday.

» Auburn cornerback Jonathan Jones did some nice work in one-on-one drills. He was glued to receivers for much of the day. Jones is smallish, but with very good speed, quickness, and ball skills. His size will be a concern for some, but he is reminding teams not to sleep on his cover ability.

» Duke's Ross Martin blasted a 55-yard field goal on Tuesday with plenty to spare. On Wednesday, he knocked home field goal after field goal during a special teams session that culminated with a 60-yarder that had Alabama linebacker Reggie Ragland coming over to show Martin some love.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Braxton Miller patterns game after Antonio Brown

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer

MOBILE, Ala. -- Ohio State wide receiver Braxton Miller wants NFL coaches and scouts to see something of Pittsburgh Steelers star Antonio Brown in his game by the time they leave the Reese's Senior Bowl at the end of the week.

And Tuesday was his first chance to show them something, four days before the annual all-star game (airing exclusively live on Saturday on NFL Network at 2:30 p.m. ET).

"AB, Antonio Brown, he's the guy (I emulate)," Miller said. "He's got athleticism and explosion. He can play inside and outside, so he brings both to the table."

Of course, being as versatile as Brown and being as good as Brown are two entirely different things, of which Miller is well aware. Brown was second only to the Falcons' Julio Jones in receiving yards for the 2015 regular season with 1,834, an average of 114.6 per game. NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein made a less lofty comparison for Miller: Washington Redskins WR Andre Roberts.

Miller, a two-time Big Ten Player of the Year as a quarterback earlier in his career, transitioned to wide receiver for OSU in the fall, but primarily played in a slot role that didn't quite suit him.

"I love getting to go outside (against cornerbacks in single coverage). It's a lot more fun outside. Either you will win or he will win, so it's a chance to show out. Inside, you've got the safety, you've got a rotation guy, the linebacker, on the outside it's one on one. Inside, it's more traffic."

Miller didn't quite post the numbers he would have wanted as a senior, but that was due more to OSU's passing struggles than his own. He finished the year with 25 catches for 340 yards and three scores. He caught punts Tuesday at the North practice, perhaps a hint of what his role might be in the game Saturday.

"I don't like to get covered. I like a lot of separation, so that's the main thing I want to show," Miller said. "And that I can be a dominant receiver, inside or outside, out of the backfield, punt return, whatever they need."

Here are 10 other things we learned Tuesday from the Senior Bowl:

2. Gronk on Gronk. Kansas State FB Glenn Gronkowski said he reached out to his older brother, Rob, following the New England Patriots' AFC Championship Game loss to the Denver Broncos. The older Gronkowski had eight catches for 144 yards and a score.

"I just told him good season and that he had a great game," Glenn said. "There's nothing else to say after a game like that. Obviously, he's hurting."

Glenn Gronkowski is looking to make the NFL as a special teams player who can contribute at H-back, tight end or fullback.

3. Better late than never for Foster. Arizona State RB D.J. Foster didn't get the call that he was invited to the Senior Bowl until Monday at about 4 p.m., but he was on a plane as soon as possible and arrived in Mobile in time for the first North squad practice. He missed the weigh-in, but will be measured and weighed later.

"My agent called and said 'Hey, they have a slot for you'," he said. "I was ecstatic. I've been traveling here all day. ... They put me in with the first reps today and I was catching on fast, but I have film to watch and a lot of stuff to look over tonight."

4. Winning the battles. Two defensive linemen who were consistently problematic for offensive linemen in one-on-one drills were Louisville's Sheldon Rankins (South squad), who blew past Michigan's Graham Glasgow with a spin move at more than 300 pounds, and Temple's Matt Ioannidis (North squad). ... South Carolina TE Jerell Adams (South) was impressive in pass protection drills, while Alabama RB Kenyan Drake struggled in that area. Running backs and tight ends got some tough blitzers in the drill, including Alabama's Reggie Ragland and Florida's Antonio Morrison.

5. Wentz passes. North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz looked sharp in his first practice for the North squad, showing the velocity that has made him a hot commodity in NFL draft circles. He passed his first test Tuesday morning at the weigh-in, where he proved to be roughly as-advertised in terms of size. He'll be closely watched by scouts this week as he looks to rise to the top of the 2016 draft's quarterback class.

6. Weigh-in was must-watch event. The weigh-in at the Senior Bowl has turned into an event in itself. On Tuesday morning, there was standing room only, with coaches and scouts representing all 32 teams packing the large hall inside the Mobile Convention Center to watch 122 players walk across the stage in their skivvies. It's a bit of a freak show, but something that comes with the territory of being an NFL prospect. "I've never stripped down to my underwear in front of that many men before," said Duke kicker Ross Martin after the South practice.

7. Two backs limited. Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams and Navy RB Chris Swain are limited physically this week, withheld from full contact, resulting in the late additions of Foster (see above) and Texas Tech's DeAndre Washington. Williams missed the entire season with a foot injury, but looked quick and well-conditioned in drills Tuesday.

8. Power move. While pass rushers typically tried to make a move on running backs and tight ends during pass protection drills Tuesday, Florida LB Antonio Morrison was having none of that. At 6-1, 230 pounds, the Gators middle linebacker tried to run right over them with power, doing so more than enough to be one of the better performers in the drill.

9. Prescott on target. It was a strong opening practice for Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott, who showed accuracy and anticipation in his first exposure to NFL coaches and scouts in a pro-style offense. Prescott, who is especially effective with the back-shoulder throw to the sideline, doesn't look like a shotgun, zone-read quarterback trying to find his way. In short, he instead looked like NFL Media analyst Charles Davis expected him to look.

10. One to watch. An NFC scout told College Football 24/7 that Arkansas QB Brandon Allen showed mechanics and footwork as good as any quarterback in Mobile Tuesday. Allen made significant improvement as a senior with the Razorbacks and has plenty of familiarity with the pro-style offenses employed at the Senior Bowl.

The rain game. Due to expected inclement weather, practice times for Wednesday were pushed back. The North squad will practice at noon ET, while the South will practice at 2:30 p.m. ET.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Funny you say that. That was the exact tone when he held court with the press and said three more years of Romo (minimum, not a damn debate ) and how great the coaches are.

Only took him two weeks and everything is awesome again.
I'm truly disgusted that there was little to zero apology, firings, woodsheddings, remorse, anything for the fans about this season. It was just, oh well, can't do anything if your QB gets hurt. Ignore 2015, it never happened. Pay no attention to the year behind the curtain. We're all good.

Even if you have to fake it, say something to the fans who put so much time, attention, and money into your team and got an absolute shitshow in return.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Shawn Oakman eager to clear air on Penn State dismissal

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Jan. 27, 2016 at 07:05 p.m. Updated: Jan. 27, 2016 at 09:27 p.m. 2 Likes | 22 Comments

MOBILE, Ala. -- Baylor defensive end Shawn Oakman's dismissal from Penn State is a topic he's having to discuss anew this week as NFL scouts and personnel executives meet with some of the nation's top draft prospects at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

But unlike some players who might be reluctant to explain a troubled past, it's a conversation Oakman is happy to have. Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien, then at PSU, dismissed Oakman in 2012 after an incident in which he reportedly grabbed the wrist of a store clerk.

"It made me into the man I am today. That's why people love me. I don't have any bad people around me, all good vibes, and I'm here today so that shows for itself," said Oakman, who will put his skills on display in the game that will air exclusively on NFL Network on Saturday (2:30 p.m. ET). "Everything can be taken in the blink of an eye. It's a blessing not everybody gets to achieve. From where I'm from, when people get kicked out of school, they go back to the hood. And they don't leave."

Oakman, however, merely left Penn State. He matured extensively at Baylor, becoming one of the top pass rushers in the Big 12 conference. His tall, 260-pound frame (Oakman said he is 6-foot-9, though he measured 6-7 1/2 at the Senior Bowl weigh-in) make him an intriguing prospect as a pass rusher with athleticism and length to spare.

Here are 10 other things we've learned at the Senior Bowl:

2. Carroo clearing air: Rutgers WR Leonte Carroo is getting some tough questions from NFL scouts this week regarding his September suspension over an assault charge that was later dropped. Carroo was accused of slamming a woman onto a concrete surface outside Rutgers' High Point Solutions Stadium after the Scarlet Knights' September home loss to Washington State, but the alleged victim ultimately opted not to pursue the case.

"With what happened this past season, this is a way for me to show scouts what type of character I have and let them know that all that stuff is in the past. Everything got dismissed and I'm able to focus on football now," Carroo said. "It's a chance to clear up any doubts they might've had and let them know I am a good kid."

Carroo withdrew from the game after Wednesday's practice with an injury.

3. Dixon dazzles. North RB Kenneth Dixon of Louisiana Tech showed as much explosiveness Wednesday as any running back in Mobile this week, causing trouble for linebackers with his acceleration and cutback ability. An NFC scout told College Football 24/7 that Dixon is the most complete running back participating in the Senior Bowl.

4. Spriggs on Bosa: Indiana left tackle Jason Spriggs, one of the top tackles in the draft, went head to head against Ohio State star DE Joey Bosa three times in his IU career. The battles were prolific, and Spriggs said Bosa -- who is expected to be a high first-round pick -- came to know Spriggs' game well.

"The fact we were going against each other so much, we kind of knew each other. We knew each other's weaknesses and strengths," Spriggs said. "We were both trying to expose those. We knew how to attack each other. Year one, I got thrown into a whirlwind."

So who came out on top?

"I'm not going to throw shots," Spriggs said.

5. Roster moves: Arkansas State TE Darion Griswold, who performed well last week in St. Petersburg, Fla., for the East-West Shrine Game, has been added to the roster to replace injured Florida TE Jake McGee. Along with Carroo, Ohio State LB Joshua Perry and UMass WR Tajae Sharpe have also withdrawn for injury reasons.

6. Sleepers on the move. There are a number of prospects from smaller colleges who have helped their draft stock this week, but Kyler Fackrell's place in the draft didn't need much help. The Utah State linebacker could have a chance to go in Round 1, according to the Senior Bowl director Phil Savage.

7. Hoopsters. Two Senior Bowlers, BYU DE Bronson Kaufusi and Southeast Missouri WR Paul McRoberts, played basketball at the college level for one season (2012-13) before focusing full-time on football.

8. Ragland rising. Alabama LB Reggie Ragland's place in the draft is only getting more secure as the Senior Bowl practice week passes. NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock called him a top-20 pick who will be running an NFL defense as a rookie.

9. Miller Time. Ohio State WR Braxton Miller made a few outstanding plays Wednesday and figures to be a big part of the North squad game plan. On one play, Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett's staff even called a reverse to the speedy former Buckeye.

10. Kessler over the top. USC QB Cody Kessler connected with Carroo during coverage drills Wednesday, beating Minneosta's Eric Murray with this well-thrown deep ball.

11. Holding the cards. Although the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff is getting an up-close look at one of the draft's top quarterback prospects in North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, club owner Jerry Jones wasn't about to concede a need to set up an eventual replacement for the aging Tony Romo in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like Rankins has been everything I believed him to be during the Senior Bowl so far. He is a guy I'd love if we miss out on our QB and trade down. I think he is every bit worth a middle first round pick. And at his size I think he can play 3 technique or 1 technique in our defense. Just a complete guy who would be a nightmare for an offensive player.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ohio State players own the Senior Bowl on day 1
By Dan Kadar  @MockingTheDraft on Jan 27, 2016, 8:10a 1

Braxton Miller and Adolphus Washington put in a good first day of practice, but plenty of other players stood out during the first day of all-star practice.

MOBILE, Ala. -- With five players on the North roster, it should come as no surprise when Ohio State players have good days at this year's Senior Bowl. That was the case on Day 1 of practices on Tuesday with a couple of Ohio State's big names standing out in front of throngs of NFL scouts and personnel people.

One of the bigger attractions on the day was Braxton Miller, the quarterback turned wide receiver. Pressed about the position switch on Tuesday, Miller declared his quarterback days are "in the past" and that he's a receiver now. As he's switched to wide receiver, Miller said he closely studies Julian Edelman of the New England Patriots and Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers.

On the field, Miller displayed many of the same skills Cobb does. He runs crisp routes, has quickness and really impressive body control. Miller looked like a natural returning punts as well. He's the type of multi-talented player who can fill two roster spots for a team.

Another Ohio State player who stood out on Day 1 was defensive tackle Adolphus Washington. He's the total package as an interior defensive lineman. He used his speed to work past blockers and his power to push them around. After practices concluded, a couple scouts were quick to meet with Washington and set up future meetings. (Random things you learn hearing a scout interview a player: Washington was only subleasing his apartment and is figuring out his living arrangements. Scouts ask weird questions.)

Washington moved from nose tackle to the three-technique defensive tackle role for Ohio State last season. Washington said he prefers the new position. He said teams have spoken to him about staying at that position as a pro.

"I like three-technique because it lets me use my quickness," Washington said. "(Three-technique) lets me get to the quarterback faster."

Quarterbacks quiet on Day 1

Things are a little different for the quarterbacks at this year's Senior Bowl. In previous years, each team had three quarterbacks. This year it's four per team. That means fewer snaps for each. Because of that, it was hard to get a gauge on them because real consistency couldn't be developed.

The headliner, of course, is Carson Wentz of North Dakota State. His day started optimally at weigh-ins where he came in at 6'5 1/4 and 233 pounds. His hand measurement of 10 inches also caused a stir. The belief has always been that larger hands mean a better grip, so there should be no questions for Wentz in that regard. On the field, though, a few of his passes were off. During one string, he threw the ball at his receiver's feet, threw it over the receiver's head on the next play, and finished the series by overthrowing on an outside pass. Wentz's passes had a lot of zip, and his timing with a new group of receivers was impressive. But over the next couple of days it would be nice to see his accuracy on point.

Still, Wentz looked like the best quarterback in this year's game. Alabama's Jake Coker threw a few solid deep outside passes. Dak Prescott of Mississippi State showed good placement on a few plays, and the ability to move out of the pocket when there's pressure. The other quarterbacks in attendance really did nothing else of note.

Spence stands out on the South roster

Eastern Kentucky pass rusher Noah Spence lived up to the hype on Tuesday. Spence moved around effortlessly in drills, tossing blocking dummies to the side with ease. Some of the drill work can be overblown, but it does show functional traits to help project a player to the next level.

Spence's aggression was utilized on sentient beings as well. In one-on-one drills against offensive linemen, Spence's mean streak showed. Following one play against John Theus, Spence had to be physically removed from the Georgia blocker. At 6'2 5/8 and 254 pounds, Spence looks the part. On Tuesday he played like it.

More notes

Dadi Nicolas of Virginia Tech didn't have an especially impressive first day. His hand technique looked sloppy and the pass rusher allowed blockers to get underneath his pads. Baylor's Spencer Drango gave Nicolas trouble on two consecutive plays. On the first one, Drango got underneath Nicolas and then popped him in the head. Nicolas complained to get another shot and proceeded to get thrown around by the Baylor tackle.

Clemson defensive tackle D.J. Reader is as powerful as you'd expect at a blocky 340 pounds. On one play he drove an offensive lineman back like he was nothing. On another play he powered Missouri guard Connor McGovern to the ground.

One of the noteworthy takeaways from weigh-ins was LSU linebacker Deion Jones weighing just 219 pounds. When he got on the field a few hours later, it didn't matter. Jones moved around more fluidly than any other linebacker on the South and never appeared to get overpowered. Fellow South linebacker Kentrell Brothers also looked good on Tuesday. He moved around better than expected for a 249-pounder.

Baylor wide receiver Jay Lee had a good day of practice. He can gain easy separation on deeper routes with simple fakes and showed good hands. Jacksonville Jaguars wide receivers coach Jerry Sullivan got after Lee for getting beat at the top of a comeback route, but that was the only critique sent his way. Sullivan also spent a fair amount of time working with Oklahoma's Sterling Shepard on his footwork to hasten his short routes.

Kansas State guard Cody Whitehair is among the best players in Mobile, and it showed Tuesday. He's a powerful and effortless blocker. He played tackle last season, but will be a guard in the NFL.

Louisville defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins looked really good. He plays a lot like Aaron Donald of the Los Angeles Rams, but that's not to compare the two. Hopefully more to come on Rankins in the next day or two.

Temple has three players on the North roster, and two of them stood out on Tuesday. Cornerback Tavon Young looks like a solid nickel cornerback because of his quickness and ability to close ground in a hurry. Defensive tackle Matt Ioannidis destroyed Western Michigan offensive lineman Willie Beavers so thoroughly on one play that his teammates screamed and sprayed water bottles in approval.

Jiggyfly

Banned
NFLDraftScout.com
2016 Senior Bowl: Braxton Miller and Buckeyes have scouts buzzing

MOBILE, Ala. -- Along with Alabama, Ohio State is the most represented college program at the Senior Bowl with five former Buckeyes on the North squad. And all five flashed on Tuesday during practice, especially Braxton Miller and Nick Vannett -- two players who were underutilized on offense at Ohio State.

A former quarterback, Miller made the transition to wideout this past season as a senior and continues his development this week in Mobile. While still raw in several areas, Miller is on a different level athletically than the other prospects on the North team. His release off the line, short-area quickness in his breaks and long-speed to create separation routinely stood out on Tuesday. Miller also caught everything his way with elite body control and quick reflexes.

Miller fielded punts during drills and did a nice job tracking and receiving the punt, especially considering he doesn't have any experience as a return man. The Dallas Cowboys coaching staff spent extra time with him in this area. It's clear that he will need time to develop nuance as a route runner and improve his hand use, but while unpolished, Miller's athleticism is what scouts were buzzing about more than anything else.

With only 19 catches as a senior, Vannett wasn't a main weapon for the Ohio State offense, but he played like one during practice on Tuesday. He doesn't have much shake at the top of routes to create separation, but with his strong hands and focus to finish contested catches, it didn't matter. While this isn't a deep tight end draft class, Vannett could separate himself as the top senior prospect at the position and worthy mid-round pick.

The three other Ohio State players in Mobile this week - Adolphus Washington, Tyvis Powell, and Joshua Perry - all had positive practices on Tuesday, as did a former teammate at the South practice.

Other North notes:

The main attraction at the Senior Bowl is North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz and he didn't disappoint in the week's first practice. He wasn't perfect, but there was far more good than bad and he showed why there is so much buzz about him as a pro prospect. Wentz showed off his above average velocity, using his body rhythm and touch to accurately control the placement. The uptick in competition didn't throw off his timing as he was able to quickly set up and fire strikes, as well as, completing a variety of passes to unfamiliar targets. Watching Wentz interact with the Cowboys' coaches and his development throughout the week will be interesting to track but Tuesday was a strong first statement, especially with the North's other quarterbacks -- Southern Cal's Cody Kessler, Stanford's Kevin Hogan and Louisiana Tech's Jeff Driskel -- struggling in comparison.

Wentz wasn't the only NDSU prospect standing out Tuesday as left tackle Joe Haeg showed impressive balance, agility and strength in pass protection against a talented North defensive line. Like his quarterback, Haeg came to Mobile needing to prove himself against FBS competition. He did precisely that, competing with Indiana's much higher-rated Jason Spriggs to emerge as the North's most consistent pass blocker Tuesday.

While Wentz impressed with his ball placement, he and the rest of the North's quarterbacks had several passes batted away by an aggressive secondary. With the Dallas coaches rather than referees "calling" the practice, cornerbacks were not surprisingly a bit hands-on with receivers with several riding would-be pass-catchers throughout their routes. Temple's Tavon Young, however, showed terrific timing and closing speed to break up multiple passes, ripping at the ball as it arrived. At just 5-9 (and 3/8") and 180 pounds, Young isn't imposing but he is scrappy, projecting best as a nickel or dime defender in the NFL.

Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Vernon Butler was a tough man to contain in one-on-one drills, using his short area quickness and powerful upper body to force his way to the pocket. His long arms allow him to rag doll blockers once he gets them off-balance.

*Rob Rang contributed to this report

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Interesting thing in this last practice, they have Sheldon Day playing DE, on the weakside at that, and he beat Spriggs several times, probably the best LT in the Senior Bowl and a possible 1st rounder.

Could be a really intriguing pick if Marinelli sees something there because he could obviously pass rush from the inside in nickel/dime but it'd be really interesting if he could also give us some snaps as a base DE.

As an aside, I've never been particularly interested in the QB's at the Senior Bowl since we've been pretty well set there for about a decade but now that I'm watching them closely I've come to realize that the supposed evaluation of QB's here must be mostly off the field, how they respond in the meetings, etc. I mean, these QB's are getting maybe 15-18 reps each (if that) per practice in 7 on 7/11 on 11 and several of those reps are runs. Aside from one on one's, which aren't a great indicator of anything and you probably only have the QB's throwing about 8-10 of those per practice at most anyway, these guys really are not making many throws here.

So yea, everybody is saying Wentz has looked good, and from the limited snaps he's had you can definitely tell that he is the best QB prospect here, but there is no way I would let what I've seen on the field here override what I've seen in the actual games with him.

Could be because they decided to have 4 QB's for the first time instead of 3 since this is such a spectacle now but who knows.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sounds like Rankins has been everything I believed him to be during the Senior Bowl so far. He is a guy I'd love if we miss out on our QB and trade down. I think he is every bit worth a middle first round pick. And at his size I think he can play 3 technique or 1 technique in our defense. Just a complete guy who would be a nightmare for an offensive player.
He sprained his knee and had to pull out of the game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm truly disgusted that there was little to zero apology, firings, woodsheddings, remorse, anything for the fans about this season. It was just, oh well, can't do anything if your QB gets hurt. Ignore 2015, it never happened. Pay no attention to the year behind the curtain. We're all good.

Even if you have to fake it, say something to the fans who put so much time, attention, and money into your team and got an absolute shitshow in return.
In his interview yesterday, he said the coaching staff earned the Senior Bowl assignment by the four wins. Then he winked and grinned. If the man was in front of me, I would strangle him with my bare hands.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is anyone posting Senior Bowl reviews after each day this year? Seems like people use to post all kinds of stuff about the Senior Bowl. This year you guys have provided me with nothing.
Dude. The practices are on TV now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude. The practices are on TV now.
Yeah and I've been watching as much of it as I can but work sometimes does call. Plus the cameras focus on one part of the practice while something else is going on. I don't see nearly enough of the actual QBs as I would like.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If Miller runs a sub-4.5 at the combine he may become too rich for our blood and shoot up into the top 50ish picks. I would not be thrilled with taking something of a project WR with the 34th overall pick.
Me either. I'd take him in the 3rd but way better prospects, even at WR at #34. Early 2nd is where Michael Thomas of Ohio St is projected and I'd think he's a better WR prospect than Braxton who was QB and then WR.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Boise State cornerback Darian Thompson has earned high marks from coaches for his high football IQ and communication skills. He has been one of the most vocal players I have heard on the field here this week, echoing calls and getting players lined up in the back end. In addition, he has shown solid skills in coverage and flashed a knack for getting his hands on the ball.

:tippytoe

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If this is all true, he can never be a Cowboys safety. Looking confused, being in the wrong place, playing soft coverage and pointing fingers are the skills and abilities we look for the most at the position.

Top Bottom