Eatman: While Surgery Likely For Romo, Team Expecting “3-4 More Years” As Starter

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
While Surgery Likely For Romo, Team Expecting “3-4 More Years” As Starter

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:07 PM CST

By Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

@nickeatman

MOBILE, Ala. – The Cowboys might have their eyes on potential future quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl, they are certainly paying close attention the quarterback they’ve got.

Tony Romo will undergo a CT scan this week and it’s starting to look more and more as if the veteran quarterback will indeed require surgery on his collarbone that he’s injured three times in five years.

“I wouldn’t say it’s 100 percent but it’s leaning hard that way,” Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said Tuesday from Mobile. “But we’ve still got some scans to look at and we still have to do what’s in his best interest.”

Romo said on Saturday that surgery is a possibility, but both the quarterback, Jones and head coach Jason Garrett didn’t seem concerned with the timetable of his return.

“We don’t think it’s going to put him behind very much,” Garrett said, regarding a potential surgery. “Ultimately it’s a medical decision. The people who are experts, the doctors, the trainers, those guys know much more about it than I know about it and frankly than Tony knows about it. If they think that’s a good thing for him to do, we don’t think that’s going to put him behind or prevent him from getting better this offseason, it makes sense to do it. I think we’re still in that decision making process and we’ll make the right decision for him and for our football team.”

If surgery is indeed the route the Cowboys decide, Stephen Jones said it won’t change the offseason plans.

“I don’t think it’s anything that’s going to affect anything,” Jones said. “He should be ready to go by the time May rolls around and he should be able to put that behind him if that’s ultimately the final decision. We feel good about where he’s going to be. I think he’s chomping at the bit. If you look at those quarterbacks who were in the final four teams they are all guys with a lot of experience and close to his age. So he’s more convinced than ever we can get this thing done with him.”

Jones was also asked if Romo’s recent injuries have prompted them to look at adding a younger quarterback.

“You can’t put your head in the sand,” Jones said. “He’s certainly had some injuries and we have to be aware of that. If we do decide to pick a quarterback fairly high, Tony’s a great example of how it can serve a young quarterback well to watch for two to three, or four years. Whatever that number is going to be because obviously we think Tony is our best chance to go win a Super Bowl. We think he will be that guy for the next 3-4 years.”

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I call BS. 2 years of good Romo at best. And that is if he doesn't get hurt again. This better not sway them from taking Wentz or Lynch. :viking

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I call BS. 2 years of good Romo at best. And that is if he doesn't get hurt again. This better not sway them from taking Wentz or Lynch. :viking
The good news is that it doesn't read like it will prevent them from drafting someone. This 3-4 years is a joke though. If it's not his back, it's his ribs, shoulder or collar bone. I get that Romo can still throw a ball and is mentally all there but the second he gets hit all of that will change quickly. For all I know next year could be Romo's last.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yeah I don't buy the 3-4 years. What I'm more concerned about is brining in RGIII or Manziel. That could sway JJ/Garrett by thinking between Romo and whichever backup they sign can get by for a year or two.

But we need to have a young starter ready to go by '17 or '18 at the latest. Can't afford to wait a couple of years hoping Romo stays healthy or banking on RGIII/Manziel to fill in if he goes down while not being ready to have a full time starter ready.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My position as well but the response sounds like a hedge to decline a QB this year.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
3-4 years? Ha. At the rate he's been going the last several years, the only football he'll be playing in 3-4 years is from a wheelchair in the paralympics.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I almost feel like some of this is the front office setting the stage for drafting a QB at 4. Wishful thinking perhaps but after Stephen went to great lengths the other day talking about how much of a benefit it is for QB's to sit for a few years, I feel like the constant barrage of Romo having 3-4 years left could be the front office conditioning fans and the media to not call for our rookie QB every time Romo throws an INT.

Jerry may be dumb enough to believe it but I highly doubt Stephen and McClay honestly think Romo could have 5 years left when you look at how Manning has fallen off a cliff. When they say 3-4 years you could easily conclude that this as the optimistic timeframe considering Romo would be 39-40, you have to imagine any somewhat sane person could conversely see a scenario where it's really 1-2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I almost feel like some of this is the front office setting the stage for drafting a QB at 4. Wishful thinking perhaps but after Stephen went to great lengths the other day talking about how much of a benefit it is for QB's to sit for a few years, I feel like the constant barrage of Romo having 3-4 years left could be the front office conditioning fans and the media to not call for our rookie QB every time Romo throws an INT.
I actually think the talk about it being a benefit to allow a QB to sit is exactly that. I know it's hard to tell while being on this message board, but their are a lot of dumb Cowboys fans out there who want nothing to do with us drafting a first round QB. They are the homers that believe Romo is just fine and all you're doing is destroying his ability to win the championship next year.

Sometimes we forget what Joe fan is really like. He thinks Jalen Ramsey is the next Deion. He thinks Carson Wentz is a sleeper you can draft later. These people are out there and there are a lot of them. I think Jerry wants to make them comfortable with the idea of a QB in the first.

dallen

Senior Tech
I actually think the talk about it being a benefit to allow a QB to sit is exactly that. I know it's hard to tell while being on this message board, but their are a lot of dumb Cowboys fans out there who want nothing to do with us drafting a first round QB. They are the homers that believe Romo is just fine and all you're doing is destroying his ability to win the championship next year.

Sometimes we forget what Joe fan is really like. He thinks Jalen Ramsey is the next Deion. He thinks Carson Wentz is a sleeper you can draft later. These people are out there and there are a lot of them. I think Jerry wants to make them comfortable with the idea of a QB in the first.
Case in point: https://www.reddit.com/r/cowboys/comments/3zqwz6/drafting_a_qb_at_4_would_be_a_mistake/

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not a damn debate, guys.

Three years. MINIMUM.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Holy shit.

Griffin or Kaepernick? Just patience? Like they have not got several coaches fired already?
And Wilson and Garrett will provide the "good coaching".

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can't see what would be any different timeline wise in the article with a rookie now rather than a derailed QB that needs time to be retrained. The writer is just making noise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see what would be any different timeline wise in the article with a rookie now rather than a derailed QB that needs time to be retrained. The writer is just making noise.
Only top 3 QBs succeed, so we are screwed at pick four. Yep, this is Joe fan I hate

Top Bottom