Goof Son Speaks

townsend

Banned
I certainly think a backup QB is important, especially for a team with an injury prone starter. But certainly not 14 mil a year important. If your starting QB is missing 4 games in any season it's a bad sign. But you also have to wonder how many of the games you'd win with or without that backup QB. Meaning lets say your backup plays four games. Hypothetically Romo goes 3-1. IF you assume a normal backup gets you 0-4 Romo's value goes up. Most most NFL teams are able to get by with a backup for a few games. Good teams like the Patriots win with or without Brady for example. Dallas shouldn't fall off the face of the planet just because Romo isn't their backup.

It's nice having a durable QB though. And Dak has been durable over his career.
We cannot win without a a really good backup. Even with Demarco Murray and Dez Bryant we looked helpless with Weeden under center.

Keep in mind how much a Romo level backup would have meant to the Raiders last year.

Dak's only been in the NFL one year, Romo didn't miss a game until 2008, he could be perfectly durable but anyone can get hurt in this league.

Like I said, I don't think it makes sense to keep a guy who should be starting for another team, as a backup, but I cannot fathom a world where you would ever think about cutting him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sometimes I wonder, other than the fact that it's unconventional, is a starter quality backup QB not worth that money? Even if Dak had a minor injury that took him out for 2-4 games, a Romo level backup could make all the difference. We probably how many years did we lose a playoff berth by the skin of our teeth where at least one loss was due to having to play our backup? 2008, 2013 come to mind. If we had had any kind of a real backup in 2014 we probably get a first round bye, God knows what we could have done in 2015.
And when Romo flat out outplays Dak in the interval, what do you do then?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's precisely why Romo will not play in Dallas next season. That commitment has been made and there is no way the staff and management can go against that now. Romo has played his last series in Dallas. I hope everyone remembers he went out with a bang.

townsend

Banned
Not gonna happen. Ever. Dak played like an elite QB all the way through 2016 having to figure it out as he went., now he has a full NFL offseason to learn how to be an NFL QB.

Romo could, at best, look just as good as Dak, and he doesn't have as much arm strength or athleticism to pair with it. Dak won the job in 2016, and looking good in camp couldn't possible justify giving it back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not gonna happen. Ever. Dak played like an elite QB all the way through 2016 having to figure it out as he went., now he has a full NFL offseason to learn how to be an NFL QB.

Romo could, at best, look just as good as Dak, and he doesn't have as much arm strength or athleticism to pair with it. Dak won the job in 2016, and looking good in camp couldn't possible justify giving it back.
Maybe one day, but right now Dak's lone advantage is his durability.

Play for play Romo is superior.

In the scenario below where Dak is out four games that single durability advantage is off the table.

Do not delude yourself into thinking what we got from Dak last year counts as elite QB play.

It was amazing by rookie standards, and I greatly look forward to watching him improve on it for many years.

townsend

Banned

In the scenario below where Dak is out four games that single durability advantage is off the table.

Do not delude yourself into thinking what we got from Dak last year counts as elite QB play.

It was amazing by rookie standards, and I greatly look forward to watching him improve on it for many years.
You are fucking stupid.

He set a franchise record for rushing TDs from the QB position. He had the least interceptions of any 16 game starter that season,. Only one more than Tom Brady, who played four less games. He was 3rd in QB rating below only Brady and Ryan. 4th in completion percentage. 2nd in interception percentage, behind Brady. Tied for 9th in TD%.
4th in game winning drives (5). 3rd in comebacks (5).

There are 25 to 30 qbs who didn't play as well as Dak did in 2016.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Says the guy who thinks Dak is Alex Smith. Dak with his 82.6 QBR and 105 QB rating is the same as Alex Smith and his 91 QB rating and dink and dunk bullshit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jesus Christ, again with this shit?

Personally my opinion on the matter hasn't changed, but it's retarded to argue over it. Dak is the QB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So Dak is a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, for sure?

I don't buy that yet. Maybe with another dominant statistical season and improvement on his downfield passing, but not quite yet am I gonna put him there with Brady, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Rodgers, etc.

I'd be more willing to put him somewhere behind Russell Wilson, but Wilson's not a top 5... more of a top 6-10.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
You don't know that.
It would take the reversal of the 2016 season,with Dak out for half a season, and Romo going on a record breaking win streak. Even still Romo out playing Dak would require Dak take a considerable step backward, since Dak's 2016 performance was on par with Romo's 2014 season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It would take the reversal of the 2016 season,with Dak out for half a season, and Romo going on a record breaking win streak. Even still Romo out playing Dak would require Dak take a considerable step backward, since Dak's 2016 performance was on par with Romo's 2014 season.

Which could happen.

I'm not saying it will, or that it's likely, but it's far from a rarity that you get a QB who excels early in their career and then takes a step back and never reaches the level of dominance they were projected to attain.

For every Brady or Wilson, there are Kaepernicks, RG3s, and Rick Mirers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which could happen.

I'm not saying it will, or that it's likely, but it's far from a rarity that you get a QB who excels early in their career and then takes a step back and never reaches the level of dominance they were projected to attain.

Bonus points for pulling out Rick Mirer but when was he ever good?

townsend

Banned
So Dak is a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, for sure?

I don't buy that yet. Maybe with another dominant statistical season and improvement on his downfield passing, but not quite yet am I gonna put him there with Brady, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Rodgers, etc.

I'd be more willing to put him somewhere behind Russell Wilson, but he's not a top 5.
His incredible efficiency is on par with Brady and Ryan. He has less passing TDs, but 3 int in 16 games is unbelievable. His rushing TDs shouldn't be discounted either.

He went toe to toe with Roethlisberger, and came back from an 18 point deficit to tie Green Bay. At some point it becomes a Aikman vs Favre discussion, where you have to weigh gawdy stats against efficiency. As long as Elliott is playing to form he'll probably never have those huge numbers.

townsend

Banned
Which could happen.

Kaepernick and RG3 were guys that depended on their rushing ability to make plays. Dak has more in common with Roethlisberger than them since Ben had almost the same number of rush attempts as Dak his rookie year.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Dak is not an elite QB yet. No need to get carried away as good as he was. And he is not now, nor probably ever will be the "wow" QB Romo is. But a gunslinger that manufactures offense on his own (and manufactures a lot of turnovers at bad times as well) isn't what we need right now. We need a calm, cool, collected and conservative QB like Dak to hand Zeke the ball, minimize turnovers, and make a few big plays here and there to move the chains and get the ball in the end zone. Dak showed us he can play within the offense and make good decisions with the ball. As long as we lean on our superior running game there's no reason Dak's success can't continue. The days of looking to Romo to bail out a hit or miss big play pass-happy offense are over.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Says the guy who thinks Dak is Alex Smith. Dak with his 82.6 QBR and 105 QB rating is the same as Alex Smith and his 91 QB rating and dink and dunk bullshit.
Dak of 2016 and Smith of 2015-2016. Yeah. Don't worry, Dak has time to grow.

What I can't stand is this seeming belief that Dak would be anything close to what he was in 2016 driving a Ferrari of an offense by comparison if he were dropped onto any other team in the league.

Throw Dak onto the Chiefs and he's going to have nothing close to his 2016 stats or success.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

What I can't stand is this seeming belief that Dak would be anything close to what he was in 2016 driving a Ferrari of an offense by comparison if he were dropped onto any other team in the league.

Throw Dak onto the Chiefs and he's going to have nothing close to his 2016 stats or success.
Thats because they dont have Beasley.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

QB A 65.3% Completion 3486 Yards 7.42 YPA 22 TDs 7 INTs 61.6 QBR
QB B 67.8% Completion 3667 Yards 7.99 YPA 29 TDs 4 INTs 82.6 QBR

Tell me how those two QBs are the same:dunce

Top Bottom