Goof Son Speaks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Every article I read now says Romo will be released. We'll get nothing....and like it!!!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Every article I read now says Romo will be released. We'll get nothing....and like it!!!
It sure seems that way.

But you still have fans that think we can trade him to Houston for J.J. Watt and shit.

Hey...uh, first time caller, long time listener. So uh...what are the chances of Dallas shopping Tony Romo to Houston? They seem to have more defensive studs than they can handle and Clowney did well last year. What do you think if say Houston trades Watt and their first round pick to the Cowboys? You think that can happen?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It sure seems that way.

But you still have fans that think we can trade him to Houston for J.J. Watt and shit.

Hey...uh, first time caller, long time listener. So uh...what are the chances of Dallas shopping Tony Romo to Houston? They seem to have more defensive studs than they can handle and Clowney did well last year. What do you think if say Houston trades Watt and their first round pick to the Cowboys? You think that can happen?
You heard me call in to "Movin' the Chains" on NFL Radio? Nice.

I was sooooo nervous.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Just a 5th round pick. Can't they get somebody to give up a frikkin 5th? The Skins are paying Kirk Cousins $24million next year and we can't find someone to take Romo's cap hit for a 1 year run.

Jerry's been in the league over 20 years and I can't recall a time he got over on someone in a trade deal since Herschel.

Terry Glenn was the last good trade and we know who was behind that one.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo's agent is probably back-channeling to teams that a release will happen soon. No one is going to make a high pick trade under those circumstances.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Romo's agent is probably back-channeling to teams that a release will happen soon. No one is going to make a high pick trade under those circumstances.
So then don't release him soon. Romo would screw himself by doing that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So then don't release him soon. Romo would screw himself by doing that.
Yep, there are several teams that would take a chance on Romo. Just a matter of working the right deal for both sides. Dallas will have to gamble on his health status but there is no doubt he can play at very high levels.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just a 5th round pick. Can't they get somebody to give up a frikkin 5th? The Skins are paying Kirk Cousins $24million next year and we can't find someone to take Romo's cap hit for a 1 year run.

Jerry's been in the league over 20 years and I can't recall a time he got over on someone in a trade deal since Herschel.

Terry Glenn was the last good trade and we know who was behind that one.
Nobody trades with us. They just wait Jerry out. It is like being patient against a poor poker player.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I think if you want to max his trade value, you hold on to him. His value is going to increase as you get closer to training camp. Even more once training camp starts. This is not in Romo's best interest at all though. He wants to get with a team ASAP so he can get in, learn the playbook and get to know the other players. From a salary cap perspective, sooner is better as well since it frees up money to sign or resign guys.

So it really is a delicate situation. It's not about being a bad poker player. That's an over simplification. Other teams aren't stupid. They want to get through the draft and see what happens. If you're Houston - probably the best fit - you likely want to draft a QB and then see what you got. Romo is a glass cannon. They really don't want to hang their jobs on him unless there is a great Plan B.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if you want to max his trade value, you hold on to him. His value is going to increase as you get closer to training camp. Even more once training camp starts. This is not in Romo's best interest at all though. He wants to get with a team ASAP so he can get in, learn the playbook and get to know the other players. From a salary cap perspective, sooner is better as well since it frees up money to sign or resign guys.

So it really is a delicate situation. It's not about being a bad poker player. That's an over simplification. Other teams aren't stupid. They want to get through the draft and see what happens. If you're Houston - probably the best fit - you likely want to draft a QB and then see what you got. Romo is a glass cannon. They really don't want to hang their jobs on him unless there is a great Plan B.
Exactly. There is no way we carry Romo into the season for 14 mil as our backup but there is no rush until then for the Cowboys. The rush is all on Tony Romo and teams that want to acquire Romo. Romo wants to get to his new team ASAP to prepare the upcoming season and for purposes of negotiating a contract. The team who wants him wants him as soon as possible so they can plan their draft, get Romo prepared for the season and not have to worry about who their starting QB is going to be.

The only party to this whole thing that isn't in a rush is Dallas. So you hold tight until you get the offer you want. And I'd tell Romo's agent to go out there and shop himself with that exact knowledge. And if no one comes then you cut Romo after every other NFL team has already filled their starting QB role. Sucks for Romo but that's business.

townsend

Banned
Not that it's the best use of our resources, but having a spare franchise QB wouldn't be the worst thing either. Presumably this is the cap number we expected to have when 2016 season started. If Dak had had an ordinary 'good' rookie season instead of an all-time great one, we would probably be rolling into 2017 with Romo and Dak.

So I think it's dumb to underestimate Romo's value. Could you imagine cutting Romo or trading him for a low pick, and then having Dak pull a Teddy Bridgewater in camp? Egos aside, Romo's value as a backup, is still worth significantly more than his cap savings.

Not to day that the teams shouldn't attemot to make a trade. But I don't want to see us give him for less than a pick that could reasonably net us a starter. I'd rather keep him than get a low level consolation pick.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Not that it's the best use of our resources, but having a spare franchise QB wouldn't be the worst thing either. Presumably this is the cap number we expected to have when 2016 season started. If Dak had had an ordinary 'good' rookie season instead of an all-time great one, we would probably be rolling into 2017 with Romo and Dak.

So I think it's dumb to underestimate Romo's value. Could you imagine cutting Romo or trading him for a low pick, and then having Dak pull a Teddy Bridgewater in camp? Egos aside, Romo's value as a backup, is still worth significantly more than his cap savings.

Not to day that the teams shouldn't attemot to make a trade. But I don't want to see us give him for less than a pick that could reasonably net us a starter. I'd rather keep him than get a low level consolation pick.
In regards to keeping Romo on as a backup QB, besides some hurt feelings does anyone honestly believe Romo would create huge waves if the Cowboys kept him as the backup QB?

Almost every time that the scenario of the Cowboys keeping Romo is discussed, people talk about it as if it would be a toxic and dysfunctional fit. I just don't see that being the case. If for some reason the decision were made to retain him for the 2017 season, Romo strikes me as the kind of guy who would quietly accept his role as the backup. After watching and listening to him for the past 10+ years, I just don't get the impression that he's the kind of guy who would be a disruptive. If he had a moody and highly emotional personality like Cam Newton I'd be worried.

Just to be clear I think that it is highly unlikely that the Cowboys retain Romo as their primary backup QB. In fact, I could actually see him opting to retire rather than riding the bench for another year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In regards to keeping Romo on as a backup QB, besides some hurt feelings does anyone honestly believe Romo would create huge waves if the Cowboys kept him as the backup QB?

Almost every time that the scenario of the Cowboys keeping Romo is discussed, people talk about it as if it would be a toxic and dysfunctional fit. I just don't see that being the case. If for some reason the decision were made to retain him for the 2017 season, Romo strikes me as the kind of guy who would quietly accept his role as the backup. After watching and listening to him for the past 10+ years, I just don't get the impression that he's the kind of guy who would be a disruptive. If he had a moody and highly emotional personality like Cam Newton I'd be worried.

Just to be clear I think that it is highly unlikely that the Cowboys retain Romo as their primary backup QB. In fact, I could actually see him opting to retire rather than riding the bench for another year.
Yeah my only real issue is that you don't use 14 mil on a backup QB. That's a lot of money to waste on a backup QB. Money that could go towards a star player.

But I couldn't see Romo throwing a fit. Not with his best buddy as the head coach and his daddy figure as the owner. He's practically part of the Jones family. I can't see Romo burning those bridges because he doesn't want to be a backup.

townsend

Banned
Yeah my only real issue is that you don't use 14 mil on a backup QB. That's a lot of money to waste on a backup QB. Money that could go towards a star player.

But I couldn't see Romo throwing a fit. Not with his best buddy as the head coach and his daddy figure as the owner. He's practically part of the Jones family. I can't see Romo burning those bridges because he doesn't want to be a backup.
Sometimes I wonder, other than the fact that it's unconventional, is a starter quality backup QB not worth that money? Even if Dak had a minor injury that took him out for 2-4 games, a Romo level backup could make all the difference. We probably how many years did we lose a playoff berth by the skin of our teeth where at least one loss was due to having to play our backup? 2008, 2013 come to mind. If we had had any kind of a real backup in 2014 we probably get a first round bye, God knows what we could have done in 2015.

Landry

DCC 4Life
I was listening to the Cowboy's draft show. Broaddas bought up the idea of trading Romo to the Bronco's to switch places in the first round. From 28 to 20 would usually cost a 3rd rounder. The Broncos wouldn't lose a draft choice and the Cowboys save a 3rd. Would you do it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes I wonder, other than the fact that it's unconventional, is a starter quality backup QB not worth that money? Even if Dak had a minor injury that took him out for 2-4 games, a Romo level backup could make all the difference. We probably how many years did we lose a playoff berth by the skin of our teeth where at least one loss was due to having to play our backup? 2008, 2013 come to mind. If we had had any kind of a real backup in 2014 we probably get a first round bye, God knows what we could have done in 2015.
I certainly think a backup QB is important, especially for a team with an injury prone starter. But certainly not 14 mil a year important. If your starting QB is missing 4 games in any season it's a bad sign. But you also have to wonder how many of the games you'd win with or without that backup QB. Meaning lets say your backup plays four games. Hypothetically Romo goes 3-1. IF you assume a normal backup gets you 0-4 Romo's value goes up. Most most NFL teams are able to get by with a backup for a few games. Good teams like the Patriots win with or without Brady for example. Dallas shouldn't fall off the face of the planet just because Romo isn't their backup.

It's nice having a durable QB though. And Dak has been durable over his career.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was listening to the Cowboy's draft show. Broaddas bought up the idea of trading Romo to the Bronco's to switch places in the first round. From 28 to 20 would usually cost a 3rd rounder. The Broncos wouldn't lose a draft choice and the Cowboys save a 3rd. Would you do it?
I'd consider it. You'll have a chance at a DE at 20 that you wouldn't at 28 for example. Plus you can always trade back from 20 to acquire extra picks if that is your ultimate goal. I may ask for a fifth round pick as well. Just so we can recover from that Matt Cassel shit trade.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd consider it. You'll have a chance at a DE at 20 that you wouldn't at 28 for example. Plus you can always trade back from 20 to acquire extra picks if that is your ultimate goal. I may ask for a fifth round pick as well. Just so we can recover from that Matt Cassel shit trade.
Depending on what else is being offered I'd definitely strongly consider it.

Top Bottom