Archer: Cowboys' identity in 2016 must center around passing game

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The running game keeps teams honest and punishes the defense in the four minute offense. But in order for it to work you must have a healthy pass offense.

Cowboys need improv Romo because the defense still really sucks and our WR's aren't good route runners.
Um, the running game only keeps teams honest if you pass the ball from under center which we didn't do all year.

Second of all Dez when Dez is healthy he is possibly the best reciever in football so it has little to do with the weapons.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Um, the running game only keeps teams honest if you pass the ball from under center which we didn't do all year.
Hence the statement "But in order for it to work you must have a healthy pass offense."

Second of all Dez when Dez is healthy he is possibly the best reciever in football so it has little to do with the weapons.
The Cowboys "weapons" don't run routes as well as the Patriot WR's. That difference allows NE to ignore the run, spread the field and chip away with the short passing game on the plays Gronk isn't open. If they go 3-out, their defense has a good chance of making he other offense also go 3-out.

Dallas can't do that. Even if the offense had even the simplest rub routes (which for whatever reason we don't), the WR's can't run them without drawing penalties. So they need balance and "improv" Romo to win.

And Dez, great as he is, doesn't separate so much as win battles.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hence the statement "But in order for it to work you must have a healthy pass offense."

For one to feed off the other you have to at least make a defense wonder if you will run or pass. We don't even get to that point.

As far as the Patriots with rub routes. They get away with more shit then anyone else. This is where officiating annoys the shit out of me. Put the Cowboys receivers in the Patriots offense and they would never get called for it. Put the Patriots receivers in Dallas and it would be continual penalties. Hell I've seen Dallas do it perfectly and still get penalized.

Jiggyfly

Banned

The Cowboys "weapons" don't run routes as well as the Patriot WR's. That difference allows NE to ignore the run, spread the field and chip away with the short passing game on the plays Gronk isn't open. If they go 3-out, their defense has a good chance of making he other offense also go 3-out.

Dallas can't do that. Even if the offense had even the simplest rub routes (which for whatever reason we don't), the WR's can't run them without drawing penalties. So they need balance and "improv" Romo to win.

And Dez, great as he is, doesn't separate so much as win battles.
I think Beasley could run any of the routes that the Patriots run and I gurantee you Dez would get way more targets.

Williams would thrive as well because they run that inside crossing route all the time and Williams runs that very well.

It's not that their receivers run such great routes it's the route design, hell I bet Escobar would be a 60 reception 8 TD guy in NE.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's not that their receivers run such great routes it's the route design, hell I bet Escobar would be a 60 reception 8 TD guy in NE.
Whatever the reason, Jiggy, the Pats WRs know what they are doing and use a pick technique the refs respect.

I think you think too highly of Beasley who hasn't come close to stepping up his game like Edelman. Edelman's confidence has been built over the past few seasons to where he runs nearly every kind of route while Beasley is still the same one trick pony. Much of that is coaching, but it's mostly hard work.

I know Terrance Williams doesn't get it-- at all. That wouldn't fly in NE but it's tolerated here.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Whatever the reason, Jiggy, the Pats WRs know what they are doing and use a pick technique the refs respect.

I think you think too highly of Beasley who hasn't come close to stepping up his game like Edelman. Edelman's confidence has been built over the past few seasons to where he runs nearly every kind of route while Beasley is still the same one trick pony. Much of that is coaching, but it's mostly hard work.

I know Terrance Williams doesn't get it-- at all. That wouldn't fly in NE but it's tolerated here.
If Beasley was atrgeted and schemed to get open like Edelman it would be much the same.

And let's not act like NE has been running plenty of precise route runners on the outside over the years and that's if you could name them at all.:lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Beasley was atrgeted and schemed to get open like Edelman it would be much the same.

And let's not act like NE has been running plenty of precise route runners on the outside over the years and that's if you could name them at all.:lol
Beasley is schemed to get open as he always gets single coverage and lines up off the LOS to avoid being jammed.

Beasley's still young, but Edelman distances himself from him more every year. I must say I'm impressed how Edelman has transformed himself into a #1 WR. He's no freak like Julio Jones or Dez Bryant, but in many ways he's more reliable than either.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Beasley is schemed to get open as he always gets single coverage and lines up off the LOS to avoid being jammed.

Beasley's still young, but Edelman distances himself from him more every year. I must say I'm impressed how Edelman has transformed himself into a #1 WR. He's no freak like Julio Jones or Dez Bryant, but in many ways he's more reliable than either.
Edelman is not a #1 reciever, he could not go to any other team and thrive as a number one and he cannot be very productive on the outside.

This was very evident when he was shut down yesterday, Gronkowski is the real #1 receiver on that team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This was very evident when he was shut down yesterday, Gronkowski is the real #1 receiver on that team.
You have to agree Gronk is the biggest threat on the Patriots.

People sleep on Edelman, though, and it's ignorant at this point. Everyone can be taken out of a game here and there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to agree Gronk is the biggest threat on the Patriots.
Gronk is their #1 WR. He is basically Dez Bryant for that offense. When Brady needs a play and they can't scheme their way out of it, they throw it up to Gronk the same way we do with Dez. Gronk is just as much a really good blocking WR as he is a really good receiving TE.

Top Bottom