Rachel Dolezal Is Nearly Homeless, On Food Stamps And Still White

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Unfortunately a lot of political discourse, or lack thereof, has been packaged as "mic drops". Especially now that things are so contentious politics is a lot more about hyping up your own side than reaching an understanding with people who disagree with your stances.

We're seeing collisions of echo chambers, as you may remember I compared it to the Tower of Babel some time ago, and I think the comparison is apt, conservative and liberal has become so insular that they adopt their own language. I think when you interact with a person from the "opposing side" it's real easy to fall back to talking points, and once one does the other will almost immediately follow.
You and I don't agree on a lot of things concerning politics, but I always respect your opinion. There is a lot of truth in this post. I find myself falling into that partisan abyss occasionally, myself.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Unfortunately a lot of political discourse, or lack thereof, has been packaged as "mic drops". Especially now that things are so contentious politics is a lot more about hyping up your own side than reaching an understanding with people who disagree with your stances.

We're seeing collisions of echo chambers, as you may remember I compared it to the Tower of Babel some time ago, and I think the comparison is apt, conservative and liberal has become so insular that they adopt their own language. I think when you interact with a person from the "opposing side" it's real easy to fall back to talking points, and once one does the other will almost immediately follow.
Preach Brotha.

townsend

Banned
You and I don't agree on a lot of things concerning politics, but I always respect your opinion. There is a lot of truth in this post. I find myself falling into that partisan abyss occasionally, myself.
Everybody does, it's human nature. The second a person, any person feels they're locked into a partisan debate, a lot of shades of gray turn black or white.

I say Hillary's flawed but the best candidate, you say she's the worst candidate, suddenly "us vs them" kicks in and she's a fucking national treasure.

It's funny, because what sets this board apart is the dislike of the team homer mentality, and I think that's precisely what's murdering politics right now.

Cotton

Staff member
Everybody does, it's human nature. The second a person, any person feels they're locked into a partisan debate, a lot of shades of gray turn black or white.

I say Hillary's flawed but the best candidate, you say she's the worst candidate, suddenly "us vs them" kicks in and she's a fucking national treasure.

It's funny, because what sets this board apart is the dislike of the team homer mentality, and I think that's precisely what's murdering politics right now.
Yeah, I can't say I disagree with any of that.

2233boys

Not So New Member

2233boys

Not So New Member

Townsend speaking truth today

lostxn

DCC 4Life

Boy this is true. It's amazing how much damage has been wrought by political pundits. It started with Rush Limbaugh but now we have dozens on both sides of the aisle - Keith Olbermann, Bill O'Riley, Sean Hannity, Bill Maher, Tucker Carlson, Jon Stuart, Tomi Lahren. All of these people either brand conservatives as ignorant racists or liberals as naive, lazy people who want a nanny state. What's really distressing is that people like Pelosi and McConnell lead their respective parties but buy into the pundit's bullshit. They literally hate their political opponents.

The truth is, the differences between the parties do not at all justify the hostility present. Essentially, you're talking about how the government is going to interfere with our lives. Not even the degree. Conservatives want to interfere with your sex life and what drugs you can use. Liberals want to keep corporations weak and government assistance strong.

These are issues about which intelligent people can - and do - disagree. Honestly, only a moron doesn't recognize some degree of government assistance is needed, some degree of regulation is necessary, and taxes are needed - it's just how much. However, we never talk about policy anymore. It's all about which team is winning and which one is in power. Dems very reluctantly worked with Bush. Reps absolutely refused to work with Obama. Dems are lining up to fight Trump tooth and nail. It's all about villainizing the other team.

They could have fixed or at least patched Obamacare had the Reps wanted to. They didn't. They wanted it to fail and were willing to screw over the American people figuring they would blame the Dems. It worked but damn if that isn't cynical as hell.

Every slip up or problem is pounced on to try to get political advantage.

I pray this last election is the last where the parties pick totally unacceptable candidates to the other party. The majority of Americans, honestly, would have preferred other people to vote for. Had Romney or Rubio run they would have won in a laugher because people hated Clinton. Sanders would have obliterated Trump because there was just no dirt on him. He was a populist without the hubris.

We are now literally in the worst spot I have ever seen in 45 years on the planet where literally 1/4 the people believe the sitting president is guilty of treason and would love to see a bullet put in his head. Meanwhile the other 1/4 think the sitting President is a saint and no matter how obvious a lie he tells, they are willing to slurp it up as fact. Then you have 1/2 the people wondering what the hell has become of their country. They wanted change, but what the hell is going on???

It's pretty dispiriting.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Boy this is true. It's amazing how much damage has been wrought by political pundits. It started with Rush Limbaugh but now we have dozens on both sides of the aisle - Keith Olbermann, Bill O'Riley, Sean Hannity, Bill Maher, Tucker Carlson, Jon Stuart, Tomi Lahren. All of these people either brand conservatives as ignorant racists or liberals as naive, lazy people who want a nanny state. What's really distressing is that people like Pelosi and McConnell lead their respective parties but buy into the pundit's bullshit. They literally hate their political opponents.

The truth is, the differences between the parties do not at all justify the hostility present. Essentially, you're talking about how the government is going to interfere with our lives. Not even the degree. Conservatives want to interfere with your sex life and what drugs you can use. Liberals want to keep corporations weak and government assistance strong.

These are issues about which intelligent people can - and do - disagree. Honestly, only a moron doesn't recognize some degree of government assistance is needed, some degree of regulation is necessary, and taxes are needed - it's just how much. However, we never talk about policy anymore. It's all about which team is winning and which one is in power. Dems very reluctantly worked with Bush. Reps absolutely refused to work with Obama. Dems are lining up to fight Trump tooth and nail. It's all about villainizing the other team.

They could have fixed or at least patched Obamacare had the Reps wanted to. They didn't. They wanted it to fail and were willing to screw over the American people figuring they would blame the Dems. It worked but damn if that isn't cynical as hell.

I pray this last election is the last where the parties pick totally unacceptable candidates to the other party. The majority of Americans, honestly, would have preferred other people to vote for. Had Romney or Rubio run they would have won in a laugher because people hated Clinton. Sanders would have obliterated Trump because there was just no dirt on him. He was a populist without the hubris.

We are now literally in the worst spot I have ever seen in 45 years on the planet where literally 1/4 the people believe the sitting president is guilty of treason and would love to see a bullet put in his head. Meanwhile the other 1/4 think the sitting President is a saint and no matter how obvious a lie he tells, they are willing to slurp it up as fact. Then you have 1/2 the people wondering what the hell has become of their country. They wanted change, but what the hell is going on???

It's pretty dispiriting.
Yep.

townsend

Banned
Unfortunately we're probably going to see parties lock ranks more not less. Liberals are getting tea party weird right now.

People may remember that Trump was a laughable failed 3rd party candidate, who lost to Pat Buchanan in 1999. I fear a future where Jill Stein liberals hijack the party.

Of course then maybe moderate liberals and republicans can finally launch a viable 3rd party.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Unfortunately we're probably going to see parties lock ranks more not less. Liberals are getting tea party weird right now.

People may remember that Trump was a laughable failed 3rd party candidate, who lost to Pat Buchanan in 1999. I fear a future where Jill Stein liberals hijack the party.

Of course then maybe moderate liberals and republicans can finally launch a viable 3rd party.
Yeah revolt of the middle! I like it. Problem with the middle is they're lazy and don't want to get involved...

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah revolt of the middle! I like it. Problem with the middle is they're lazy and don't want to get involved...
Yeah those are the people that only vote every 4 years if that, it's the fringe types who are the most energized voters.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

It's pretty dispiriting.
Excellent post.

I only started paying close attention to politics around 2004. After about two years the thing that struck me the most was that it felt as if the elected officials were simply taking American citizens for granted. It's as if they think we vote them into office simply to argue and strike down any suggestion from the opposing side. It seems like that mindset has intensified by 100 over the last 6 years. Sitting down and trying to find middle ground is only viewed as a last resort rather than being the starting point that it should be.

I don't ever remember the relationship between the two parties being as bad as it's been over the past few years.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

It's pretty dispiriting.
Excellent post! You did a much better job of communicating my viewpoint than I ever have.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Excellent post.

I only started paying close attention to politics around 2004. After about two years the thing that struck me the most was that it felt as if the elected officials were simply taking American citizens for granted. It's as if they think we vote them into office simply to argue and strike down any suggestion from the opposing side. It seems like that mindset has intensified 100 over the last 6 years. Sitting down and trying to find middle ground is only viewed as a last resort rather than being the starting point that it should be.

I don't ever remember the relationship between the two parties being as bad as it's been over the past few years.
Yup. I was a hardcore Rush republican all the way through right about when W took office during the second term. One day I got fed up and turned off Rush to never listen again. I give credit to [MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION] and the dust ups here to opening my eyes to other points of view.

Cotton

Staff member
What is all this getting along and crossing party lines bullshit all about?

:unsure

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yup. I was a hardcore Rush republican all the way through right about when W took office during the second term. One day I got fed up and turned off Rush to never listen again. I give credit to [MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION] and the dust ups here to opening my eyes to other points of view.
Isn't schmitty a rush republican? Did his agreeing with you force you to change your mind? :tippytoe

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Isn't schmitty a rush republican? Did his agreeing with you force you to change your mind? :tippytoe
He's a libertarian. I'm not saying I align completely with him but at least he started the conversation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You must be confusing my legitimate criticism of the idiots on the left as support for the idiots on the right.

Top Bottom