Dallas Cowboys 2016 Salary Cap Overview: Potential Cap Savings

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we're going to see more than growing pains if we dump 3 starting DBs. Still I don't see much way around it.
There is plenty of ways around it. Besides we would only really lose 2 starters. Claiborne only started due to an injury. Plus our secondary sucked last year so it can't really get worse.

townsend

Banned
There is plenty of ways around it. Besides we would only really lose 2 starters. Claiborne only started due to an injury. Plus our secondary sucked last year so it can't really get worse.
We actually had a statistically strong pass defense. But damn we were great at giving up Long TDs in overtime at the end of games, but it could definitely get way worse.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We actually had a statistically strong pass defense. But damn we were great at giving up Long TDs in overtime at the end of games, but it could definitely get way worse.
Depends on the statistic. QB rating against our pass defense stunk. I think yards are meaningless as a statistic for pass defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This CB class is very strong, I think we can get a guy who can be a solid 3rd CB as a rookie and a solid 2nd CB by his 2nd or 3rd year as late as the 4th round.

We either have to keep Carr, re-sign Claiborne or sign a mid-range free agent like Casey Hayward or Jeremy Lane, then I'd draft a guy but I wouldn't feel compelled to reach for need. I mean, I'd love a guy like Trumaine Johnson but he will probably be too expensive.

Then we go into next year with Scandrick as our CB1, Carr/Claiborne/FA as CB2 and the rookie/Mitchell (who looked decent enough) in a battle for the CB3/4 spots.

There are a whole slew of guys that I'd love between the 3rd-5th, including William Jackson III, Artie Burns, Deiondre Hall, Xavien Howard, Maurice Canady, Harlan Miller, Cyrus Jones or Kevin Peterson. Obviously some of those guys are more 3rd round guys than 5th round guys, but I'm just naming guys who I'd consider at various points in the draft to show that there are a good number of prospects out there.

Hell, if William Jackson III burns up the Combine I wouldn't even hate him in the 2nd depending on what else is on the board, although it's an unlikely scenario. At any rate, if we go into next season with Scandrick/Carr/Canady/Mitchell at CB I'd feel perfectly fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We only allowed 19 passing TDs. That's pretty damn good.
Completion percentage, ypa and ints are pretty significant indicators of a secondary. Consider the QB rating against our pass defense is in the middle 90s it is bad. Teams just didn't have to throw against our defense a lot. So looking at total statistic like yards or TDs against is a meaningless stat.

I don't think anyone could validly make the argument that our pass defense was good while QBs had a 94.2 rating against us. That ranks us 20th best in the NFL. QBs completed over 65 percent of their passes against us which ranks us at 25th in the NFL. 8 INTs ranks us tied for 30/31 in the NFL. YPA against our defense was 7.6 which ranked us 23rd.

Last edited:
You can draft a couple CBs in the later rounds to replace Carr and Mo. If the scouting dept does their job, there will be some growing pains but in the end there's not going to be a big drop off. Carr and Mo simply are not that good anymore.
While I tend to agree with you, keep in mind they weren't as bad as it seemed on the pass defense. They were 5th in the league at defending the pass at 227 yards a game, where as the run defense was a shitty 21st in the league at 121 yards per game. We definitely need a run stopper not named Hayden, but I wouldn't say the pass defense was not good. I do think other areas need addressing first but CB is definitely not a "priority".

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I tend to agree with you, keep in mind they weren't as bad as it seemed on the pass defense. They were 5th in the league at defending the pass at 227 yards a game, where as the run defense was a shitty 21st in the league at 121 yards per game. We definitely need a run stopper not named Hayden, but I wouldn't say the pass defense was not good. I do think other areas need addressing first but CB is definitely not a "priority".
Who the hell uses yards still to determine how good a defense is? To say our pass defenses was fifth in the league is the biggest fraud ever. Pass attempts and rushing attempts vary wildly from team to team. The only way to determine if a pass defense is any good is on a per pass basis which we stunk. The rushing defense you really need to look at on a ypa basis as well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You can draft a couple CBs in the later rounds to replace Carr and Mo. If the scouting dept does their job, there will be some growing pains but in the end there's not going to be a big drop off. Carr and Mo simply are not that good anymore.
Carr and Mo are not special but you are nobody should be comfortable going into a season with 2 of your top 3 CB's later round draft picks.

I thought the idea was to upgrade not hope for a slight dropoff.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Depends on the statistic. QB rating against our pass defense stunk. I think yards are meaningless as a statistic for pass defense.
Qb rating is only one statistic like you said it depends on the statistic and you are choosing to use one in particular.

At worst the pass defense was average and to upgrade real resources will need to be used to do so.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Qb rating is only one statistic like you said it depends on the statistic and you are choosing to use one in particular.
QB rating takes everything into consideration. Yards, completion percentage, TDs and Ints. So it includes all the other stats you want to consider. It's why its the only reasonable way to rate the pass defense.

Jiggyfly

Banned
QB rating takes everything into consideration. Yards, completion percentage, TDs and Ints. So it includes all the other stats you want to consider. It's why its the only reasonable way to rate the pass defense.
Weeden had a pretty good QB rating while he was here and we see how that worked out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We do get scandrkck back tho but let's see what he's gonna bring after the ACL tear might not be the same
Welcome to the board. Pull up a seat and remember, do not piss on the toilet seat.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weeden had a pretty good QB rating while he was here and we see how that worked out.
To be fair Weeden probably wasn't as bad as we all acted. We saw with Cassel just how much worse things can get. But Weeden's QB rating still wasn't as good as the rating our secondary gave up. So your point is still off.

Here is the best way to put it. I'll show you the top 5 pass defenses by QB rating:

Carolina
KC
Seattle
Denver
Cincy

All of those were playoff teams and all of them had pretty damn good defenses. Hell two of them are in the superbowl. Here is the top 5 according to yards, which is what some are proposing is a good indicator of a pass defense:

Denver
Seattle
Houston
Chicago
Dallas

Now obviously we see a couple of repeats. But now we see a couple of very bad teams rated near the top. Does anyone else think the Bears had the fourth best pass defense last year? Better then Carolina's for example? I mean seriously. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to make that claim. It just shows the horribly flawed logic in using yards to rate a pass defense.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Carr and Mo are not special but you are nobody should be comfortable going into a season with 2 of your top 3 CB's later round draft picks.

I thought the idea was to upgrade not hope for a slight dropoff.
I think when you look at the money that the Cowboys would have tied up, vs what you are getting in return then you have no choice but to find a couple replacements in the draft.

CB play, and S play has been terrible the last couple years.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think when you look at the money that the Cowboys would have tied up, vs what you are getting in return then you have no choice but to find a couple replacements in the draft.

CB play, and S play has been terrible the last couple years.
My point was you saying replacements could be found in later rounds which is not likely and every historical metric backs that up.

If you want to upgrade the play a couple of 4th and 5th rounders is not going to do it especially not as rookies.

Top Bottom