Doug Williams agrees with Cam Newton's comments regarding race

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Doug Williams agrees with Cam Newton's comments regarding race

By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer

January 29, 2016 9:17 am ET

It was 28 years ago that Doug Williams became the first African-American quarterback to start in a Super Bowl. Next Sunday, Panthers star Cam Newton will become the sixth.

Newton has become a lightning rod for criticism throughout this season, seemingly because he actually appears to be enjoying himself out on the field. On Wednesday, he spoke about the real reasons behind that criticism. “I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing they can compare me to," Newton said, and it's not difficult to see that he has a point.

Williams, for his part, largely agrees with what Newton said. His comments, via USA Today:

“I'm not going to be the one who says what my thinking is, because sometimes it don't matter what I think. It ain't going to matter what he thinks. Because at the end of the day, you've got a lot of people denying (racism is behind the criticism of Newton), that that's not true. Even if it's true, they're going to deny it.

“I think Cam is mature enough, he knows what he's up against. He knows what he has to deal with. And he's got a daddy, he's got grandparents, he's got older people who've lived in this world long enough to understand why a lot of things happen to certain people. He's got a right to understand that (race) could be one of the problems.”

While there are a lot of people that for some reason have a problem with a great player celebrating his accomplishments on the field (something that happens after almost every single play, no matter who makes it), Williams sees nothing wrong with how Cam goes about the business of commemorating his successes.

“Let's be real.” Williams said. “This kid has had an unbelievable year. He has his own personality. … I don't see anything arrogant about Cam Newton. And I think a lot of people would agree with that. The kid is having fun. Ain't nothing wrong with having fun.

"The team loves him. The fans love him. And the city loves him. At the end of the day, for Cam Newton, that's the most important thing to him.

“I don't think he spends a lot of time with what people think about him if it's not positive. I think what he's shown in Charlotte and a lot of other places is that he's a pretty good kid.''

The Panthers certainly do love him. The fans certainly love him. The city certainly loves him. And he's done a whole lot of good things off the field with his foundation (including, but not limited to feeding 900 kids on Thanksgiving and winning the Ed Block Courage award for "courage on and off the field"). He's just a great player that also happens to have a whole lot of fun. Why certain people need their QBs to act like robots is beyond me. Like Williams said, ain't nothing wrong with having fun.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I really don't have an issue with Newton. I think what he (and the Panthers do when celebrating) is perfectly fine.

I guess it is just me being local as it is kind of cool.

The look on these little kids' faces when he hands them a football warms even my black heart.

Kids will remember that for life and it I think that's outstanding. Sure beats a self serving crotch grab or idiotic gyration.

And I had no issue with him when he went after the ball after Peppers was a little prick about it:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Isn't it nice when anytime someone criticizes you, you can simply claim they are racist and brush it off?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cam Newton bugs the shit out of me. He comes off as a cocky prick. It's not the giving the ball to kids thing. I think that is great. It's everything else he does. It's the way he talks in interviews. It's the way he runs to a camera during the game every chance he gets. It's why I will actively root against him in the superbowl.

Oh yeah and the black card bullshit just annoys me more. Claiming shit like that does the exact opposite of eliminating racism.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yup, people who play the race card are today's real racists and are among the top problems with race relations in this country.

Their rush to excuse the actual problems in minority communities by blaming white people for everything overshadows the actual problems in criminal justice, police targeting, the poverty culture, etc.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Has nothing to do with race. Although, I'd like him if he was white.

dallen

Senior Tech
I really don't have an issue with Newton. I think what he (and the Panthers do when celebrating) is perfectly fine.

I guess it is just me being local as it is kind of cool.

The look on these little kids' faces when he hands them a football warms even my black heart.

Kids will remember that for life and it I think that's outstanding. Sure beats a self serving crotch grab or idiotic gyration.

And I had no issue with him when he went after the ball after Peppers was a little prick about it:

That's what won me over. Anyone who can take the time to make a little kids day like that is ok with me

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

What I like about this gif is it show that the tradition is already so ingrained that the ball boy was already pitching the ball back to Cam before he even called for it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's ridiculous that I'm apparently not allowed to hate Cam. Like I have to have a legit reason or I'm a racist.

Nevermind the fact that I can't fucking stand Aaron Rodgers and nobody bats an eye.

dallen

Senior Tech
It's ridiculous that I'm apparently not allowed to hate Cam. Like I have to have a legit reason or I'm a racist.

Nevermind the fact that I can't fucking stand Aaron Rodgers and nobody bats an eye.
You only hate him because of the rumors he is gay though

Smitty

DCC 4Life

What I like about this gif is it show that the tradition is already so ingrained that the ball boy was already pitching the ball back to Cam before he even called for it.
Julius Peppers must be racist since he doesn't like Cam's antics.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He reminds me of Pete Carroll...he always knows where the camera is and makes sure he gets his air time. His celebrations are just more opportunities to draw attention to himself. He is not celebrating the team...he is celebrating his actions. Steve Smith called him out on many occasions for acting like a bitch...Ron Rivera called him Mr Mopey Head. Smith got cut because he did not sugar coat things for Cam. There was no way Cam could be the team leader there while Smith was still with them.

He's had a great year and is very deserving as the MVP, but it is annoying to only point to race as to why people don't like him. I don't like Rodgers or Cutler either, but that does not move the needle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I find Newton's incredibly bad acting on the yogurt commercials more annoying than his antics on the field.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I hope he has a commercial for secondhand laptops.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I don't have a problem with Cam. In fact I dearly wish he was the Cowboys QB.

Top Bottom