Jerry Jones on going out and getting a 'war daddy' pass rusher, Jaylon Smith's impact on the Cowboys defense

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones on going out and getting a 'war daddy' pass rusher, Jaylon Smith's impact on the Cowboys defense

By SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys owner and 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Jerry Jones recently joined ESPN Dallas 103.3's J Dub City to talk all things football. Here are some highlights:

Does Dallas have to have a big time pass rusher to return to the Super Bowl?

Jones: I don't know [about] big time, but we need more pressure. And we can get that. But we've got to come to grips with how we're going to get it.*
You can get it by compromising the fundamentals of other places on your defense by, in effect, blitzing. But those are not our style. We really want a player to stay in there that defends the run, can hold the gap, as well as when called for crash the gap. So, we've got to make sure that we've got the personnel skills. We've really got it on campus, so to speak, in [DeMarcus] Lawrence and we've got it in [Randy] Gregory. They both are compromised as we sit here and speak, but they're both the type of players that we need out there.

On if he would go out and get a top pass rusher...

Jones: If I have a chance to bring one of these premiere pass rushers, one of these war daddies that takes two to block, if I have a chance to get a player like that - I would...it's not a question of that. It's a question of where is he? And who gives him up if he's a veteran, or where is he in the draft, or where is he anywhere? So, yeah we do need pressure. We're going to try to do something about it.

On where the defense can get better...

Jones: We have, in Jaylon Smith, a real improvement to our defense. He can play now if he starts now and has the kind of spring that you'd expect him to have. He can play, in my view, where he is. But I do expect him to improve with his nerve and even be more comfortable, but in my mind, he's capable of playing right now. He's a dramatic difference on the field. He's not necessarily your designated pass rusher, but I don't know that he can't be an outstanding pass rusher. He's outstanding every place else. Now this guy is - healthy - a No. 1 pick. So, right there we've got a chance to add a new face that makes a difference for us.
We've got some guys that are free agents that we need to sign. Then, we need to continue to develop players like [Charles] Tapper. We need to continue to see the evolving and developing of [David] Irving. And then we need to get [Tyrone] Crawford well. And we need to see the expected improvement in [Maliek] Collins inside - Terrell McClain had a good year there, and we need him.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Am I the only one incapable of reading Jerry quotes in any other voice than his?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The most interesting part of this is that it sounds like they won't even think about cutting Crawford and it also sounds like it's a foregone conclusion that McClain will be re-signed.

I won't be surprised if we don't draft a DL in the first 2 rounds again, between T. Crawford/Collins/Irving/Lawrence/Thornton/Mayowa/Tapper and presumably re-signing T. McClain, that's already 8 DL. There isn't a whole lot of room for much more on the active roster, I can't see them carrying more than 10 DL on the 53.

The good thing is that clearly there is alot of depth at DE in the 1st round so there should be someone available who will at least be in the conversation, but I'm preparing myself to watch them go CB/TE or something along those lines in the first 2 rounds.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In other words, more of the same shitty line plus a guy or two. Then that guy has some injury, back to square one.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dont put much stock in what Jerry says anymore. I mean if it was up to him we would be trying to recover from choosing Manziel.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The most interesting part of this is that it sounds like they won't even think about cutting Crawford and it also sounds like it's a foregone conclusion that McClain will be re-signed.

I won't be surprised if we don't draft a DL in the first 2 rounds again, between T. Crawford/Collins/Irving/Lawrence/Thornton/Mayowa/Tapper and presumably re-signing T. McClain, that's already 8 DL.
I don't think the front office believes our defense is allowed to be good.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

So, what Jerry saying is the pass rush may be good enough if Gregory and Lawrence are on the field, but they are compromised, but they are the types of players Dallas needs so they can rush the QB.

OK...in laymans language, does that mean Dallas needs players with back injuries and mariji-wana issues, or???

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

So, what Jerry saying is the pass rush may be good enough if Gregory and Lawrence are on the field, but they are compromised, but they are the types of players Dallas needs so they can rush the QB.

OK...in laymans language, does that mean Dallas needs players with back injuries and mariji-wana issues, or???
Well he said "on the field" so it sounds like Dallas needs those players without back injuries and mara juana issues.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dont put much stock in what Jerry says anymore. I mean if it was up to him we would be trying to recover from choosing Manziel.
Yea, I don't think he does much of anything anymore to be honest.

They let him weigh in and feel like he's doing something but for the most part I think he's on the periphery of the decision making process.

Aside from Romo of course, that's one of the last vestiges of his reign of terror.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Two 2nds and a 3rd on two guys with 16 combined starts and 10 sacks between them over the last three seasons.

BTW, that's one big image.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Two 2nds and a 3rd on two guys with 16 combined starts and 10 sacks between them over the last three seasons.

BTW, that's one big image.
How'd you lak them 3 Superbowlz...huh?

Top Bottom