What I'd like to see out of the draft

kidd

DCC 4Life
It's no secret that I'm no draft nut like the rest of you but I know what the team needs. So let me premise this post by saying that I already know that you take BPA in the draft. So I'm basing this off what I see as team needs.

RD 1: QB

This is obvious. Our backups all suck plus we also need to look to the future. I've said in other threads that a stud on the bench to learn behind Romo ala Aaron Rogers is ideal.

RD 2: DT

We've needed this for years now. A plugger in the middle would open things up on the edges and greatly improve our pass rush.

RD 3-4: RB / Safety

Our running game obviously took a step back last year. McFadden isn't going to get it done and Dunbar is only good on 3rd down. We need a cow bell RB to carry the load.

If a RB can't be had, I'd like to see a safety. Our Safety play had been lacking until Byron Jones came along last year. Depending on if they keep him ay Safety, he now needs a complimentary safety to open things up for him.

RD 5-7: CB / WR

The return of Scandrick should help our secondary but uncertainty with Carr and Claiborn makes CB a necessity. I'd also like to see and upgrade at the #2 WR position if possible. Not sure if either position could be considered an upgrade in the later rounds or if they would just be considered depth that could be developed later.

At least that is my take.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What I would like is to be more successful after round 1.

townsend

Banned
What I would like is to be more successful after round 1.
We've nailed 5 out of the last 6 first rounders. Dez, Smith, Frederick, and Martin, and Jones have all turned out to be really good picks.

Rev

Staff member
We've nailed 5 out of the last 6 first rounders. Dez, Smith, Frederick, and Martin, and Jones have all turned out to be really good picks.
Yes but its the other 6 rounds that seem to be really hard for us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nobody is going to hit on all six-seven guys.

But even a couple of megasteals after round 3 makes or breaks a draft.

We have not had one of those in forever.

For that, I blame the scouting department. I think ours is average to mediocre at best.

When we have not had a solid unexpected hit since Jay Ratliff something is wrong.

I mean, literally, we have had a handful solid contributors picked after the first round in recent years:

2008 - Orlando Scandrick (I don't count Erik Walden, because we didn't even keep him)
2007 - Doug Free

2005 was perfect. Barber and Canty in the 4th, Ratliff in the 7th.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I generally agree with this although you can't pigeonhole positions into rounds.

For example, in my ideal world I would love to get a Kenny Clark, Andrew Billings or Sheldon Rankins at 34, and I think it's very possible that we have some great DT options at that pick, but if most of the prime DT targets are gone there do I take a Vernon Butler over a Darron Lee, Derrick Henry or Josh Doctson?

Probably not.

I'd absolutely love a guy like Alex Collins with our 3rd but if he's gone do I take a Paul Perkins over a William Jackson III or Josh Perry?

Probably not.

In an ideal world my draft would probably look something like:

1. Carson Wentz
2. Kenny Clark
3. Alex Collins
4. Miles Killebrew
Comp 4. Xavien Howard
6. Cyrus Jones
Comp 6. Antonio Morrison

But I'd be just as happy with:

1. Carson Wentz
2. Darron Lee
3. William Jackson III
4. Paul Perkins
Comp 4. Sheldon Day
6. Tyvis Powell
Comp 6. Yannick Ngakoue

Obviously what we do in free agency will have a huge impact on this, hopefully at least.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member

For that, I blame the scouting department. I think ours is average to mediocre at best.

When we have not had a solid unexpected hit since Jay Ratliff something is wrong.

I mean, literally, we have had a handful solid contributors picked after the first round in recent years:

2008 - Orlando Scandrick (I don't count Erik Walden, because we didn't even keep him)
2007 - Doug Free

I dont need a superstar at every round. Just give me some competent player splashed in there from time to time. Coming out of the draft with 1 player is not fun.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd absolutely love a guy like Alex Collins with our 3rd but if he's gone do I take a Paul Perkins over a William Jackson III or Josh Perry?
Perkins has unique balance and is a natural. I worry about his pass blocking. That's a tough question, but I lean in favor of Perkins' natural talent.
1. Carson Wentz
2. Kenny Clark
3. Alex Collins
4. Miles Killebrew
Comp 4. Xavien Howard
6. Cyrus Jones
Comp 6. Antonio Morrison
Wow, that would be unreal. Makes way too much sense though. Collins might be gone... Where is the TE? And the CB is taken way too late.

Last edited:

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Our running game obviously took a step back last year. McFadden isn't going to get it done and Dunbar is only good on 3rd down. We need a cow bell RB to carry the load.
I believe you meant bell cow. We do need more cow bell but the correct phrase is bell-cow

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
i think its almost safe to say 90% of the board wants the cowboys to "reach" on Carson Wentz and take him at 4. I know I do.

Rev

Staff member
i think its almost safe to say 90% of the board wants the cowboys to "reach" on Carson Wentz and take him at 4. I know I do.
Yeah. He has become the boards pet cat. Goff or Wentz for me. Just think you have to take that chance when you draft this high and have a QB situation like we have.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Yeah. He has become the boards pet cat. Goff or Wentz for me. Just think you have to take that chance when you draft this high and have a QB situation like we have.
agreed. I mean I don't necessarily think Wentz is going to be the best QB in this draft. I really like Goff too, he just won't be there when we pick. I'm all for pretty much anybody at 4 - Goff, Wentz, Buckner, Bosa, Jack. I don't think we can really screw this up but we traded up for Morris one year so who knows

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
agreed. I mean I don't necessarily think Wentz is going to be the best QB in this draft. I really like Goff too, he just won't be there when we pick. I'm all for pretty much anybody at 4 - Goff, Wentz, Buckner, Bosa, Jack. I don't think we can really screw this up but we traded up for Morris one year so who knows
I don't have anything wrong with a corner per se, but in this particular draft I think that's the only way we mess it up. If we take the kid out of Florida or Florida State I think we would be making a big mistake at 4. And even then they probably would help, they just wouldn't necissarily give you the help you would expect out of the fourth pick in the draft. Although in our defense that same could probably be said for Buckner who isn't a very good fit for our 4-3.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yep. The true contenders are the ones that hit on at least 3-4 draft picks most years. And that's not just having 3-4 draftees make the team. It's ending up with 2-3 quality starters and 1-2 other contributors.

The first round should be a no-brainer with only a rare dud. We've finally been better at that the last 5-6 years. But we should be able to hit big on at least one player from the 2nd-3rd, and then come up with a starter on day 3.

You look across the league at all the great players that were drafted in the 3rd-5th rounds and then look at our pitiful drafts in those rounds year after year. AOA, Arkin, Matt Johnson, BW Webb, Street, Randle, Wilcox, Coale. About the only one that was decent is Hitchens, but he seemed to regress a little from his rookie year. And it doesn't help when the first rounder we missed on was, Claiborne, the highest pick we've had in a decade which also cost us our 2nd that year. Add that to Escobar and B. Carter not being good enough to warrant a 2nd contract and we basically only have our first rounders from 5 of 6 years and a couple of 2nd rounders with a few marginal contributors from the rest of the rounds to show for the last decade of drafts.

Even last year....Green, D. Wilson, Russell. I guess there's still hope but I saw nothing from any of those mid-rounders this year.

One philosophy I wish we'd duplicate is that of the Steelers. If you look up their draft history the last 15 years or so, they almost exclusively draft players from I-A/BSC programs, and it most cases from the big 5 conferences and from the top programs in those conferences. They rarely take small school players unless it's an occasional pick on day 3. You may end up passing on some quality players, but also will have far fewer busts, especially in rounds 2-4.

Last edited:
Perkins has unique balance and is a natural. I worry about his pass blocking. That's a tough question, but I lean in favor of Perkins' natural talent.

Wow, that would be unreal. Makes way too much sense though. Collins might be gone... Where is the TE? And the CB is taken way too late.
Your getting way ahead of yourself...you know, just like the last few years all these big name players we want will be passed up for guys we never heard of.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A RB I really like in this draft is Jordan Howard. Watched him up close and man he runs with serious power (22 carries 174 yards against a highly ranked Iowa run defense). At 6'1" 230lbs with excellent speed I think he fits exactly what we need. He was a transfer to Indiana who dominated basically everywhere he has gone. Give him to me in the fourth and I'd be doing cartwheels. Hell I wouldn't even complain about him in the third.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
A RB I really like in this draft is Jordan Howard. Watched him up close and man he runs with serious power (22 carries 174 yards against a highly ranked Iowa run defense). At 6'1" 230lbs with excellent speed I think he fits exactly what we need. He was a transfer to Indiana who dominated basically everywhere he has gone. Give him to me in the fourth and I'd be doing cartwheels. Hell I wouldn't even complain about him in the third.
Used to play at UAB before they fucked things up there. Guy is a very good player. Will probably go in second after blowing up combine.

shane

DCC 4Life

2007 - Doug Free

Hitchens was a pretty good find in the third round, although they probably could have gotten him later. Williams I would say was a worthwhile pick too.

Top Bottom