FA Overview: Gavin Escobar

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
With the NFL offseason now officially underway, it’s never too early to start focusing on the next order of business, which is free agency. The Cowboys have 20 unrestricted free agents who can sign with other teams starting on March 9, unless they strike a new deal with the Cowboys before then.

Over the next two weeks, DallasCowboys.com staff writers will break down each free agent, analyzing their strengths and weaknesses and the possibilities of a return in 2017.

Today, we’ll continue the series with tight end Gavin Escobar.

What’s The Deal: There were a lot of question marks when the Cowboys made Escobar their second-round pick, 47th overall, in the 2013 draft. The team was coming off back-to-back 8-8 seasons and there were positions that appeared to need far more help. A future Hall of Famer in Jason Witten was already leading the way at tight end and Dallas even had a capable backup in James Hanna. While there was talk of featuring a two-tight end passing attack, thus the need for Escobar, unfortunately that idea never panned out. Seemingly at the start of every training camp we would hear how Escobar would be more involved in the offense, but season after season came and went without him having much of an impact. Part of that was his own doing, of course, but a case could be made as well that he was never really given a chance. He was considered by many to have some of the best hands on the team, and he does have eight touchdowns to his credit, but overall Escobar produced only 30 catches for 333 receiving yards in his four seasons with the Cowboys.

Cowboys Highlight: Midway through his second year in the NFL, Escobar headed into the Cowboys game against the Giants on Oct. 19, 2014 having accumulated just 154 career receiving yards and three touchdowns. But with New York clamping down on Witten, Escobar became Tony Romo’s go-to target. He opened the day’s scoring with a 15-yard touchdown catch in the first quarter and then reached the end zone again in the third with a nice 26-yard score, the only two-touchdown game of his career. Escobar also had a 24-yard grab to finish with a personal-best 65 receiving yards, as Dallas defeated its NFC East rivals, 31-21.

Argument to Keep: At 6-6 and 254 pounds, Escobar has proven to be tough for opponents to handle at times in the passing game. And he’s a definite red-zone threat, as 26.7 percent of his career catches have gone for touchdowns. If the Cowboys ever did decide to get serious about working him into their passing game more, he could become a valuable offensive weapon.

Argument to Let Go: Of course, the Cowboys are showing no signs of utilizing Escobar consistently in that way, so there’s little chance of him returning. Like Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett before him, Escobar is probably ready to try greener pastures elsewhere.

Bryan Broaddus’ Scout’s Take: Will never question Gavin Escobar’s toughness in the way that he fought back from his Achilles injury he suffered in 2015 to be ready for the 2016 season. His work ethic and commitment was impressive. I have always believed this about Escobar – he was drafted to be a 12 personnel tight end when the team was moving into more 11 personnel sets. Where the front office missed the boat on him was in his development. He never was going to be quick enough, strong enough or physical enough to play. The heart and determination was there but the overall skill set wasn’t. His hands are rare but that’s really it. As much as he tried to get stronger, he just couldn’t add enough bulk to become a similar player to his teammates that are used at the point of attack. Guys like James Hanna and Geoff Swaim became more reliable players in those situations. The front office will move along as should the player.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Bye Bye.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a shame the Cowboys couldn't figure a way to use him. He is a good receiver and his size would be a mismatch to most secondaries.
Shame he couldn't rise above being mediocre for them to bother.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it matter? We could have Gronk on the roster and he'd still sit behind Witten and get limited snaps. Truth is though nothing about Escobar screams special to me. He might be an ok TE, but nothing about him is worth going out of your way to get him on the field. He is tall but that's about it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It's a shame the Cowboys couldn't figure a way to use him. He is a good receiver and his size would be a mismatch to most secondaries.
He had some chance but other than one game didn't show anything. Not going to blame the coaches on this one. Evidently he didn't perform enough in practice or games to warrant consideration. He even had a guard take snaps from him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Does it matter? We could have Gronk on the roster and he'd still sit behind Witten and get limited snaps. Truth is though nothing about Escobar screams special to me. He might be an ok TE, but nothing about him is worth going out of your way to get him on the field. He is tall but that's about it.
You answered your own question. He was drafted to roll out a Gronk/Hernandez attack and he didn't rise up to make it happen. It's on him not being good enough. Plain and simple.

This concept that he couldn't be more productive because Witten was in the way is bullshit. Nobody expected a billion catches and yards. He was not productive even during his limited snaps and that is just as much on his inadequacies as anything else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He had some chance but other than one game didn't show anything. Not going to blame the coaches on this one. Evidently he didn't perform enough in practice or games to warrant consideration. He even had a guard take snaps from him.
Eh we use to give Martellus a bunch of chances too and he failed a lot. Of course he blocked a lot better so he got on the field a lot more. And we didn't have a slot reciever like Beasley either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You answered your own question. He was drafted to roll out a Gronk/Hernandez attack and he didn't rise up to make it happen. It's on him not being good enough. Plain and simple.

This concept that he couldn't be more productive because Witten was in the way is bullshit. Nobody expected a billion catches and yards. He was not productive even during his limited snaps and that is just as much on his inadequacies as anything else.
Yeah but I also see the history of Dallas's number 2 TEs and Escobar falls in line with all the rest. Regardless it's time to move on. Swaim is more useful to us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eh we use to give Martellus a bunch of chances too and he failed a lot. Of course he blocked a lot better so he got on the field a lot more. And we didn't have a slot reciever like Beasley either.
Beasley didn't start off being on the field a bunch either. But somehow, he started making the best of his opportunities which led to more snaps. That is how it works.

Bennett could block and was a great receiver (still isn't). Escobar wasn't even able to be a reliable receiver. His patterns sucked and he looked like a complete stumble bum.

Broaddus was spot on above. Just not good enough.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather give our Powerforward a chance next year then to resign Escobar. So I guess that sort of tells you what I think of him. At least Gathers has the size and strength to block with some potential upside. And then we can always draft someone if the value is right. Plus Swaim will be back and Hannah is still around somewhere.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep and the poor schleep is being fitted for a SB ring.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Beasley didn't start off being on the field a bunch either. But somehow, he started making the best of his opportunities which led to more snaps. That is how it works.

Bennett could block and was a great receiver (still isn't). Escobar wasn't even able to be a reliable receiver. His patterns sucked and he looked like a complete stumble bum.

Beasley was considered to be a laughing stock by some. :tippytoe

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Beasley was considered to be a laughing stock by some. :tippytoe
Dak needed him to build confidence in the first half of the year, but he reverted to normal in the second half. He's a slot WR with sure hands, but he's rarely going to create a dangerous mismatch for the defense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak needed him to build confidence in the first half of the year, but he reverted to normal in the second half. He's a slot WR with sure hands, but he's rarely going to create a dangerous mismatch for the defense.
He doesn't need or attempt to be a mismatch. He is a short yardage receiver that is extremely reliable to get seperation on the route. He is good and he is valuable. He was an assett before Dak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And he made the best of his opportunities to develop. Escobar didn't.
I wonder what Escobar will get in free agency. I actually don't think he will get a lot. And honestly I was one of the people screaming to try and trade him last offseason. I'm not sure why we hold onto busts for so long. Like cut bait and move on. And if you can get a fifth or sixth in the process awesome.

data

Forbes #1
This thread.

We knew this thread was coming the second his name was announced.

if not deleted, I believe we had a poll to predict his career and consensus was somewhere around 50-70 catches.

shane

DCC 4Life
I blame the bad coaching. Wouldn't surprise me to see this kid turn into another Bennett, or at least a decent contributor on some other squad.

Top Bottom